All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A question for those with IBS-C
      #355268 - 02/04/10 05:55 PM
Megan29

Reged: 02/22/09

Do any of you get really sharp gas? I don't bloat so much as I get horrendous gas that feels like someone is sticking a knife into my gut. And it happens even when I'm eating a "safe" food like corn chex. How do you help ease the pain? It has been striking me unexpectedly...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A question for those with IBS-C new
      #355270 - 02/04/10 06:05 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Well I am IBS-D, though I am very familiar with what you are talking about. I haven't had this problem since I started taking Heather's double enteric coated peppermint capsules twice a day as directed.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#355316 - 02/05/10 04:51 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes I know the sharp pains and about 2 dozen other kinds of bloat and gas.
The safe foods don't necessarily prevent gas, sometimes for those unstable, just eating can cause gas and bloat.
The fennel tea, a heating pad and the pep caps before meals help a lot.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355372 - 02/07/10 01:53 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

Yes I know the sharp pains and about 2 dozen other kinds of bloat and gas.
The safe foods don't necessarily prevent gas, sometimes for those unstable, just eating can cause gas and bloat.
The fennel tea, a heating pad and the pep caps before meals help a lot.

LOL..2 dozen kinds of gas.
Yep...kno that well!

LM...does Fennel Tea REALLY make a difference vs. store bough Cammeal tea?
I mean has Fennel and Pep Caps really helped make a noticable difference in bloating/c for you?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355379 - 02/07/10 06:58 PM
Little Minnie

Yes fennel tea is the best for bloating- no question. To really work with bloating it requires a multiple attack and fennel is just one part of it. Fennel works well to prevent bloat too.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#355382 - 02/07/10 09:41 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

What is your multiple attack then for bloating LM?

Fennel Tea+???

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#355406 - 02/08/10 07:06 PM
Little Minnie

I would love to have a sticky post on this subject because there are all sorts of little things that prevent bloating. The biggest are:
no napping
eating often in really small amounts
peeing when needed from all the fennel tea, otherwise you can bloat when you need to pee
no high waists
eat standing up if possible
walk right after eating
acacia fiber through the day and pep caps before meals
chewing really thoroughly and eating slowly
being very calm while eating

Bloating is diverted for me when I make Chinese appetizer supper. Let me tell you why. I will make a bunch of small appetizers and hub and I will eat one while the next one is being made. I am cooking at the same time so I am standing the whole time. I eat one or two potstickers or spring rolls and cook some more and eat one or two more of something. That kind of eating (if you don't wolf it down) prevents bloat/gas. Kind of dinner party eating while standing, that is a sure bet IMO.
There are other little tidbits but these are my favs.

--------------------

#355409 - 02/08/10 08:09 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Great post and makes a lot of sense to me, even if I am prone to be IBS-D.

Thank you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: A question for those with IBS-C--peppermint caps? new
      #356741 - 03/16/10 09:43 AM
eisaachsen

Reged: 03/20/07
Loc: northern VA, USA

I first tried the peppermint caps a few years back when I first tried the EFI diet and even though I followed the directions (take 1 hour before eating on empty stomach--which is really hard to do if you are eating small amounts all the time) they really killed me with the heartburn. Has the enteric coating changed recently by any chance to beef it up? I would really, really like to get the benefits I keep reading about the peppermint. Any other tips for taking it to avoid the heartburn?

--------------------
IBS-C, gas, bloating
female, age 48

#356742 - 03/16/10 10:09 AM
eisaachsen

Reged: 03/20/07
Loc: northern VA, USA

I just found Heather's pinned post about peppermint caps. I'd still like to know if the enteric coating has been augmented recently or if it has remained the same since I last tried them. Interesting to know about the possible low stomach acid. I usually do not have heartburn, but when I try to take digestive enzymes that have a lot of Hcl in them I do get heart burn so I assume I have enough acid. I do have a small hiatal hernia which was found in an endoscopy looking for other problems that the dr. said could contribute to heartburn, but, like I said, it is usually not a problem.

--------------------
IBS-C, gas, bloating
female, age 48

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3918 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4356

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review