All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
tips,tricks,and supplements?
      #355029 - 01/30/10 08:38 AM

Unregistered

ok,so I am noticing a pattern. I find pieces of carrots,mushrooms,and rolled oats in my stool,the mushrooms are undigested and the oats are clumpy. Are these foods similar? I don't have malapsorbtion,I am quite healthy and don't feel I'm not getting all my nutrients and such,the only thing wrong is very unstable ibs,and I am working hard and am very determined to get better,haven't been eating any "no no" foods for like 5 days now and am continuing this.

I really think I need to get rid of the pepermint capsules,I take them as directed but still end up burping them up and having acid come up my throat. Would cammomile capsules be a good substitute? I can't drink cammomile tea,it makes my waste smell so bad I want to vomit. I did try regimint,but it makes my problems worse,probly because I am ibs d.Perhaps fish oil capsules would help with incomplete evacuation? I can't afford to have d though.

Anyone know of any helpful foods for incomplete evacuation? would flax in smoothies help? or are ther any combinations or tricks,such as drinking hot water on am empty stomach first thing in the morning? how about baking soda in water? I found a whole post about tricks if your constipated,many aren't ibs safe,but some of them may be..perhaps some are gentle enough for a little IE but won't cause d? http://boards.webmd.com/webx?THDX@@.89b6f0e6!thdchild=.89b6f0e6

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: tips,tricks,and supplements? new
      #355031 - 01/30/10 09:24 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Obviously Benefiber isn't doing you much good. Maybe you should try switching to acacia.

Try not to overthink eating... that might just be counterproductive.

#355032 - 01/30/10 09:26 AM

Unregistered

it seems to not matter which fiber I take,none of them are helping right now. well week after week I see the same pattern with those foods...are you still taking catalyst u? I do take acacia.

#355034 - 01/30/10 09:40 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

I find pieces of carrots,mushrooms,and rolled oats in my stool,the mushrooms

This is not uncommon. It is partly related to how well you chew your food and to the fact these foods contain insoluble fiber particularly mushrooms. Also, the rolled oats sound like they may not be cooked enough.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355035 - 01/30/10 09:50 AM

Unregistered

what can I do about this? I cook the oatmeal well in the microwave for 2 or 3 minutes with soy milk. I chew my food well..I think this is making my stools not well formed,lumpy,and mushy..what do you think about cammomile capsules instead of pepermint?

#355037 - 01/30/10 09:59 AM
Syl

If the carrots and mushrooms were well cooked and chewed well you won't be able to see the pieces Is the oatmeal instant or regular. Regular oatmeal needs to be boiled for 8-10 mins usually in water. If it is instant which instant oatmeal are you using?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#355038 - 01/30/10 10:04 AM

Unregistered

welll the mushrooms were cut into tiny pieces and I did chew them. Could I just have an intolerance? It just says rolled oats all natural,great value from wal mart.

#355039 - 01/30/10 10:12 AM
Syl

Mushrooms are mostly insoluble fiber and yes they are difficult to chew. I cannot eat mushrooms at all they give me D. There is no such thing as mushroom intolerance What are the cooking instructions on the Walmart rolled oats package?

--------------------

#355040 - 01/30/10 10:26 AM

Unregistered

ok I will see about staying away from mushrooms. I will look at the package later. Can we talk about supplements now? I think I should get rid of pepermint capsules,I take them as directed on bottle but stil end up burping up the taste or have acid come up,I just feel acidic. What about cammomile capsules? I also want to try slippery elm bark and make tea,what about marshmellow root?

Re: tips,tricks,and supplements?
      #355041 - 01/30/10 10:32 AM
Syl

If peppermint caps give problems don't take them. I am not the person to ask about supplements. I don't take any. Generally speaking I found that many of them cause more problems than they solve.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26011

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review