All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Starch Intolerance
      #354962 - 01/28/10 09:45 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I was/am on the fence in suspecting that I have an intolerance to Starches/Polysaccharides. I adhere to the EFI diet, sticking to foods like (rice, oatmeal, banana's and to a lesser extent, potatoes and pasta) in combination with proteins, but I still have symptoms of diarrhea. A cause for this could a deficiency of the enzyme Amylase but I've been taking digestive enzymes and am still having symptoms, especially today after straying and having lasagna for dinner last night (which I knew would likely be trouble as even when it's meat and/or cheese free, pasta always gives me a problem).

While, everything points towards having this intolerance, none of the suggested treatments I've implemented are working.

I'm also going to re-post and try and get a reply to this previous post!

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Starch Intolerance new
      #354963 - 01/28/10 09:49 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I like you have also tried digestive enzymes when I first started having ibs-d issues. They however did nothing for me either. I am sorry you haven't found anything to help your d issues but I am glad that I have found someone else that has my exact issues. Also like you and have never been stable how others say they are. Just don't understand whats really going on with my system.

#354969 - 01/28/10 11:02 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Contrary to the information on many alternative health and supplement vendors websites the published medical research over the past 50 years reveals very little on amylase deficiency. It seems to be a rare condition requiring special tests to determine its existence. You should talk to your GP and see what he says.

It is quite possible that urgent D is unrelated to the foods eaten. As you known IBS is not caused by food the symptoms can be exacerbated by food. You seem to be looking for a cause of D. Is it possible that you may have to use medication like immodium to manage the symptoms?

Melatonin is more likely to help with pain than with urgency.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355002 - 01/28/10 10:44 PM
PMartin

I am taking lomotil, of which my doctor was reluctant to prescribe sighting that it might cause constipation but 5mg of that is still no match for the urgency. I will take Imodium in essential situations as I don't want to become dependent on it by using it everyday and and prefer to lean things like psyllium for day to day management...but again...nothing is a match for the urgency.

"It is quite possible that urgent D is unrelated to the foods eaten. As you known IBS is not caused by food the symptoms can be exacerbated by food."

What can I surmise that urgent D is related to if not food?

What is IBS caused by if not food?

--------------------

#355003 - 01/29/10 04:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Food is only a trigger that exacerbates IBS symptoms. Food is not the cause of IBS. The cause of IBS is an unknown. It is believed to be an organic Brain-Gut Dysfunction which is a disharmony in the way the brain and GI system communicate. The regulatory conduit between the brain and gut function may be impaired and this can lead to increased pain and bowel difficulties which can be worsened by stress. The impairment may be due to problems with neural transmitters, hormonal regulation, inflammation, gut flora unbalance, or a variety of other things. Foods like caffeine, fat, insoluble fiber, etc are known to exacerbate not cause IBS symptoms due the increased visceral sensitivity experience by IBSers.

Looking for foods that cause IBS is not fruitful because food is not the cause. Food is only a factor that one can use to manage symptoms by reducing stimulus to a sensitive gut. While urgent D may be exacerbated by food it is not a likely cause.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355005 - 01/29/10 07:37 AM
PMartin

Thanks Syl. I haven't viewed that site before and it's very informative.

--------------------

#355007 - 01/29/10 08:37 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Patrick, you and I have chatted before about cause. There is a live chat Saturday night at 8:00 EST at Jen's site, if you are available. We can discuss "cause" there, and I will share with you, if you can make it. We can make that the topic, if agreeable to Jen.

#355008 - 01/29/10 09:00 AM
PMartin

Thank-you for the invite (I check Jen's site almost daily) but I work Saturday nights. Please feel free to post for me and I'll surely look for it.

--------------------

#355009 - 01/29/10 09:16 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Ok, great Patrick. Do you know you can set your account so that you are sent email notifications if there are any replies to a post? That way, you don't have to check the site daily.

You will miss the online chat, but I will start a topic of discussion on the forum, for you and others to read. I have some thoughts on cause and urgency.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4796 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3679

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review