All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
TOO MUCH Sugar!
      #354843 - 01/25/10 01:33 PM
Britt44

Reged: 05/27/09
Loc: Iowa

I am wondering if anyone has any information on the effects of sugar on IBS. According to what I have read, sugar is basically safe.

I am concerned that all I seem to be eating anymore is candy and sugary foods. I tried to go one day without it and I didn't even last the morning. I am feeling that there is something more to this than just a typical craving. Everyone tells me that I am not gaining weight (bearlly maintaining is what I call it) so I shouldn't worry. This can't be healthy. I am wondering if this is contributing to my severe dry mouth, irregular periods, pimple wars, and a noticeable lack of energy. Help?!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: TOO MUCH Sugar! new
      #354848 - 01/25/10 04:43 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Here's a list of effects of sugar.........

http://www.mercola.com/article/sugar/dangers_of_sugar.htm

#354849 - 01/25/10 04:51 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Britt, Kim just posted a very good link for you, by Dr. Mercola. I read much of his work.

Have you thought of the fact that consuming alot of sugar can spike and then drop your blood sugar? That could account for the lack of energy. Poor diet (lots of sugar) also has an impact on our skin. Try cleaning up your diet, get rid of the sugar, and see if you don't feel better.

Also, have you had a checkup? Have you been checked for diabetes?

Don't get so caught on the diet for IBS, that you don't follow a good diet for your health. Even if sugar and white bread/carbs are safe for IBS, you don't want to sit around and consume that all day. Your IBS may be fine, but your health certainly won't. HTH

#354857 - 01/25/10 09:17 PM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Sugar does affect me. It doesn't have the same effect as other triggers (for me worse are greasy things like chips, or certain raw veggies like iceberg lettuce) where I get cramps and pain and the big C. With sugar I just feel "blah", very bloated, slowly get constipated....I really have to try hard to cut it out of my diet. Bad thing is I'm addicted to that stuff....

Kim, thanks for the link! I'm going to read it right now...

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#354873 - 01/26/10 08:23 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Just to be clear, do these effects translate to other forms of sugar i.e. starches like rice, pasta, potato's etc.? Or does it apply to just table sugar or other "refined" sugars?

#354877 - 01/26/10 09:26 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

sugar doesn't cause IBS.

Eating to much is NOT a good thing.

You should talk to a doctor about all this and some people eat a lot of sugar because of moods.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354907 - 01/26/10 03:56 PM
Britt44

Reged: 05/27/09
Loc: Iowa

Thanks, everyone for the support and suggestions. I did read the list and found that sugar may well be the cause of many of my troubles. I found just the other morning after a night of splurging that my guts felt like lava. I am definitely trying to start limiting myself. It is going to be hard though!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1769 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review