Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bran...what about Oat Bran?
      #354725 - 01/21/10 08:32 AM
Maurac

Reged: 12/08/09
Loc: Canada

Hi folks...
This is my first post.
I am 39 years old and was told 7 years ago I had IBS. Almost a year ago I got ill on some antibiotics and have been on a very strict diet since. I have lost 55 lbs and have been eating veggies and protien mostly.
Now I am stating to get IBS-C or IBSc&d...
I had a painful few days, I ate a bran muffin with dates and butter. The next day I was in pain and for 2 days after that I still had cramps.

I have read Heather's book (1st year) and have been cruising around this site for a month now.
I am scared to try Heather's diet as I haven't eaten much glutne in 9 months and my ND doens't agree with Heather's recommendations..
Anyway..I assume my attack was because of the bran muffin.
Is Oat Bran safe for us?

I should add that I have been tested for most other things..not Celiac becuase I have been mostly gluten free for 9 months. I have had a CT of my abdomen...and nothing of conseqyence was found.
I suffer from gas and bloating

Thanks
Maura

--------------------
-----------------------
IBS-C/A, bloating and gas

Edited by Maurac (01/21/10 08:45 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bran...what about Oat Bran? new
      #354726 - 01/21/10 08:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board,

It is best to remove all cereal bran including oat bran of from your diet at least to start with. The IBS research shows that insoluble fiber from cereal bran can exacerbate IBS symptoms in many individuals. You might be able to add small amounts of oat bran back in later because it is unique contains some soluble fiber. I cannot eat oat bran at all but I can handle regular oatmeal which has most of the bran removed.

It is also a good idea to remove dairy products from your diet too.

What is about Heather's diet that your ND disagrees with?

Have you been tested for celiacs disease to determine if you are gluten intolerant?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354727 - 01/21/10 09:00 AM
Maurac

Hi Syl
Thanks for the reply.

I eat oatmeal every morning with, blueberries, ground flax seed, almonds, almond milk and a bit of maple syrup.
where does Heather stand on ground flax seed?

Thanks i will continue on the dairy free train.

MY ND disagrees with the soluable insoluable fibre issue. She feels that the oatmeal for breakfast is enough soluable fibre for the day.

I have been on a Candida diet for 9 months now. No wheat, dairy, sugar, little fruit, caffine, alcohol. So basically I have been eating veggies (not sweet ones like yams and carrots) and protien with some nuts and seeds.

After 9 months I am still suffering from digestive problems, mostly gas and bloating and consipation.

I drink 8 8oz glasses of water, lots of herbal tea.
I take probiotics and Sacch B.

THANKS...I apprecaite any suggestions anyone has!

Maura

--------------------
-----------------------

#354729 - 01/21/10 09:03 AM
Maurac

Opps forgot to add that I have been mostly gluten free for 9 months do the blood test for Celiac will not work.

I use to eat all kinds of bread before..but I always flet like I had a problem with it.

Thanks
Maura

--------------------
-----------------------

#354737 - 01/21/10 10:19 AM
Syl

Hi Maurac,

It really is worth while have a check for celiac disease. It is questionable if gluten intolerance without celiac disease exists. There are a variety of other things beside gluten in wheat that can cause problems for IBS.

It sounds like your ND is not up to date on the IBS research from the past 15 years or so. There is quite a bit of IBS research to support the notion of removing cereal bran from one's diet and increasing soluble fiber. You have to be careful with insoluble fiber in nuts and seeds. It is best to fine grind them before eating them. I believe Heather recommends using ground flax seeds. I can provide some references cereal bran, soluble fiber and IBS management for you to take to your ND if you wish.

If you have been lurking around the boards for a while you probably saw the big debate on the value of the Candida diet. It got so heated that the thread was locked. There is some interesting reading if you haven't seen it. After a few decades of research there is no evidence to show Candida overgrowth in the GI tract exists. Many individuals with IBS who try the Candida diet feel because it has less processed foods and hence fewer triggers.

If might be worth while reading more about Heather's EFI diet and then give it a try for a few weeks and see how it goes. You can still sill eat gluten free and follow it with little difficulty if you wish.

Keep posting your questions. There are lots of people here who can give you some sound advice on managing IBS symptoms.

Good luck

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#354738 - 01/21/10 11:02 AM
Maurac

Hi Syl!
So if i have been mostly gluten free (although oatmeal is suspect) for 9 months...doens't that mean that the blood test for Celiac will be ineffective?
Hey, maybe you are right! PLEASE provide some refs for me and my ND. I just think the more I know the better.

I am going to go read that Candida thread now. I havne't seen it yet. My problems started after 2 rounds of antibiotics for a blader infection (that I didn't have anyway). So the ND assumed I had Candida (I ahve a history of antibiotic use for UTIs).

What is EFI stand for?

THANKS...I have read Heather's book (first year) and I was hoping that perhaps I could follow that diet..it seems to much more reasonable than the Candida diet...

Maura

--------------------
-----------------------

#354739 - 01/21/10 11:17 AM
Syl

Maurac,

I will dig out the references send you some links. To start with here is a link to the British Gastorentrology Society's Guidelines on the irritable bowel syndrome: mechanisms and practical management. In section 7.1 Dietary Treatment it say "Although the commonest dietary recommendation made to patients with IBS is to increase the intake of dietary fibre, with particular emphasis on cereal bran, there are few data to support this approach. A survey based on secondary care patients actually suggested that cereal fibre makes the symptoms worse in around 55% of cases, with only 11% reporting any benefit. Other forms of fibre, especially the soluble varieties, were not so detrimental. Psyllium and ispaghula—though they are soluble gum-forming mucilages— are relatively poorly fermented, which may give them unique advantages." You might also check out Section 2.7 "Effectiveness of dietary fiber, bulking agents, and laxatives in the management of irritable bowel syndrome" in the American Gollege of Gastroenterology's An Evidence-Based Systematic Review on the Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

EFI stands for Eating For IBS

I forgot to mention. You need to be eating gluten in order to have a blood test or endoscopy for celiac disease.

--------------------

Edited by Syl (01/21/10 11:24 AM)

#354754 - 01/21/10 08:25 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

One of the BEST things which gets me to go (I am IBS C and B) is 2 teaspoons of Oat Bran mixed with Applesauce.
I swear NOTHING comes close!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Soluble vs Insoluble references new
      #354757 - 01/22/10 06:41 AM
Syl

Maurac,

As promised here are a couple of references with links to the abstract on articles about the value of soluble vs insoluble fiber in the management of IBS.

This reference is perhaps the oldest reference to raise a red flag about the problems of bran for managing IBS.

Francis, C. Y., & Whorwell, P. J. (1994). Bran and irritable bowel syndrome: Time for reappraisal. Lancet

There are dozens of other studies published since 1994. Here is one of the most recent studies.

Bijkerk, C. J., de Wit, N. J., Muris, J. W. M., Whorwell, P. J., Knottnerus, J. A., & Hoes, A. W. (2009). Soluble or insoluble fibre in irritable bowel syndrome in primary care? Randomised placebo controlled trial BMJ, 339, b3154

In a recent letter to the editor of the British Medical Journal titled "The problem of insoluble fibre in irritable bowel syndrome " by Prof. Whorwell, an internationally recognized UK IBS researcher, wrote in the last paragraph

With evidence based medicine and the rapid dissemination of research results to the media, we must still listen to what our patients are telling us, especially when the question is subtly different to the question that has been addressed by the evidence. And we must be extremely careful about the accuracy of what we write, especially in the abstract of a paper, as this is commonly the only part scanned by busy readers. Ford and colleagues' concluding statement in their abstract ignores the substantial differences between soluble and insoluble fibre, thus encouraging some patients to continue with a treatment, insoluble fibre, which at best is doing them no good but at worst may be doing them harm.

I hope this helps

--------------------

#354758 - 01/22/10 07:01 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Naturopanic, we have talked about this before. I use Bran Buds, which moves me very easily, when all else fails. I have been on Benefiber for weeks now, which has not worked yet, but I love the texture and the way it disolves easily in anything. I am going to give it more time, but in the meantime, Bran Buds are a sure bet for me.

Re: Soluble vs Insoluble references new
      #354760 - 01/22/10 07:04 AM
Maurac

WOW this is great! I read a lot last night.

Thanks for your help.

Do you take a SFS? My DH is suggesting I do as I can't lose more time from work for C and cramping.

THANKS again...
Maura
P.S. I do have an appointment with a GI..it's been a long wait but I am sure they have more important people to see.
My symtoms are mostly (in order)
1. Bloating
2. cramping
3. consipation.

Is there an optimal frequency of BMs per day?

--------------------
-----------------------

#354765 - 01/22/10 08:07 AM
Syl

I use to take a psyllium SFS but I don't any more. It worked fine but I found I could handle my fiber requirement by diet alone. It is probably a good idea to take a SFS. You might try Benefiber or Heather's tummy fiber.

Individuals with C some times have to ramp up their soluble fiber intake and insoluble fiber from veggies and fruit. In some instance they have to get the level of fiber up to 40-60 grams per day.

There is no optimal frequence of BM per day. Abnormal stool frequency is defined as greater than 3 bowel movements per day (IBS-D) and less than 3 bowel movements per week (IBS-A);

Have you noticed whether apples, pears, grapes and their juices as well as honey and high fructose corn syrup make your symptoms worse?

--------------------

#354775 - 01/22/10 08:50 AM
Maurac

Hi Syl

I think i might try the SFS. I feel a bit stupid complaining..as I know so many are worse off I go everyday...once a day. But I don't think the volume is right and I frequently have compact BMs that are painful to move.
Then again..some days are perfect...
From everything I have read I am getting the impression that I am consuming too much ISF and hardly any SF.

Frequently I have 3 cups of raw salad a day and 2 cups of steamed brocolli. Plus an apple and 1.2 cup B. berries.
The only soluble fibre I get is 3/4 cup oatmeal and MAYBE 1/2 brown rice.
I also eat seeds and nuts and nut butters.
Other than that I eat poulty, fish and eggs.

I did once have a bad reaction to pears. I ate one a day for 3 days and ended up with terrible cramps on the third day. I was attempting to add more fruit to my diet! Pff...that didn't work.
I eat 1tsp of honey a day and I havne't noticed anything.

I can't thank you enough for helping me sort this out...I do have a fair amount of anxiety..which I know doens't help..and somedays I struggle to continue to try and get better...

Maura

--------------------
-----------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6972

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review