All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Unprocessed Foods?
      #354686 - 01/19/10 10:25 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I am going to try to eat unprocessed foods more often than I do now. My question is after a little bit of research on the internet it says to start out with foods that have no more than 5 ingrediants in them. Is this true?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Unprocessed Foods? new
      #354687 - 01/19/10 11:09 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What do you mean by unprocessed foods? Do you things like raw veggies, etc or do you mean commercially prepared foods without preservatives, etc?

If the later is what you mean it doesn't matter how many ingredients the product contains. The thing that matters is the actual ingredients it contains. So the secret is to read the ingredients label for everything you purchase closely to identify IBS unfriendly ingredients such as preservatives, artificial sweeteners and colorings.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354688 - 01/19/10 11:21 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Yes I mean packeged foods. Stuff like chicken broth from a can. Is that considered processed cause its in a can even though it only has 3-4 ingredients. I'm just trying to eat alot healthier.

#354689 - 01/19/10 11:25 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Mrae, unprocessed means just that to me...unprocessed. Meaning fresh fruits, veggies, etc. If you are talking about anything in a bag, can, box, container, etc., then, yes, they are processed. As far as ingredients go, less is better. Haven't you ever picked up one of these containers, and the ingredient list is as long as your arm or leg, and you have no clue what they are? I would prefer not to put that into my body.

If you look at a box of Quaker Oats, it say 100% rolled oats. Now, that is a processed food, but with one ingredient. Do you get what I mean?

Even if I make soups or stews, I do not buy the canned and boxed chicken/veggie broths. I make my own. I just prefer to keep it as natural as possible for my health. Now, that does mean you need to cook a little more. But, that is far better than depending on packaged, processed junk, with God knows whats in them.

#354690 - 01/19/10 11:26 AM
Gerikat

Yes, that is processed.

#354692 - 01/19/10 12:02 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If the number of ingredients in a packaged food is quite long then immediately you should suspect it contains some IBS unfriendly ingredients. However, I have seen many packaged foods that have five or less ingredients at least one of which is IBS unfriendly.

The rule I use is simple. I read every ingredient on the label before purchasing a food. If there is an ingredient in the list that I don't know then I find out what it is before I buy it. I never assume that the ingredients on a packaged food with be the same next time I buy it. I continue to be surprised how often the ingredients list or amount of an ingredient changes over the course of a year

I hope that helps.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354693 - 01/19/10 12:39 PM
Gerikat

Mrae, if your focus is more on health, as you state, then look for more natural, less processed foods with minimal ingredients. If you cannot pronounce the name of the ingredient or have any clue what it is, whether IBS safe or not, do not put it into your body...period. Your body will thank you.

Some things may be fine for IBS, but would you really want to put it into your body. It's about more here than just IBS and that is called health.

great idea new
      #354718 - 01/20/10 06:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

but it doesn't necessarily have any bearing on IBS. It is a healthy thing in general to limit processed foods and eat more whole foods. Lara bars are a nice snack with less than 5 ingredients.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#361741 - 10/28/10 08:25 PM
Shreela

Reged: 06/12/08
Loc: Houston, TX

Quote:

Yes I mean packeged foods. Stuff like chicken broth from a can. Is that considered processed cause its in a can even though it only has 3-4 ingredients. I'm just trying to eat alot healthier.

I recently had my 2nd colonoscopy, about 2-2 1/2 years apart. The 2nd one showed a few un-inflamed diverticulOSIS pockets, but every CT I've had done has been negative for diverticulITIS. They also removed a small, benign polyp.

My new GI's partner read my procedure/pathology results to me in the follow up. I explained to him about how I'm able to tell within 20min-2hrs after eating something that's upset my gut: How I can feel the same area "start growing, feeling like gurgling, then after it's become bloated, the burning starts, and continues until I'm bloated so much I look 8 mos preg, and there's burning and a pain level of between 6-8. The bad attacks felt as though my large intestine/colon had swelled shut. Once I could somehow fall asleep, it usually settled down enough where I could tolerate small amounts of potatoes and clear liquids, until the following morning when it usually resolved (2nd morning after attack).

I also explained to him about how I suspected many different foods, but continued to get attacks even after dropping those foods. Eventually I had many days in a row with extreme pain/inflammation, so I went on clear liquids, fruit juice and sweetened tea the first few days, then hubby bought me some canned broth at the store after work. Although I had been uncomfortable while on the juice/teas, it was bearable compared to the full attacks.

I had another almost full attack soon after consuming the broth! I'm pretty sure the reason it didn't go into a full attack was because there were no solids in my system.

Looking back, it was rice with canned broth that started the big week-long attack!

The new GI partner listened to all this, and said I probably had additive/preservative sensitivities like he did, that it was more common than most people thought! But most people he saw with this had diarrhea instead of inflammation, but compare it to how some people with sinus problems have runny noses, while others might get sinus migraines from their sinus cavities being so inflamed.

I'm pretty sure Carrageenan bothers me, since I had many attacks from it, but I also suspect nitrate/nitrites because I've often had issues with sausage, all my life, not just these last 2 years. But even avoiding these 3 things, I'd still have attacks with "some" commercially prepared foods -- it seems frozen/boxed dinners had the highest incident for me. Canned and frozen veggies/fruits do not bother me.

It sure was nice to hear this from a GI! I asked if there were tests he knew of to determine the exact sensitivities, and he wasn't aware of many, just do what he did and try eating everything from scratch, and if a commercially prepared food bothered me, write it down on my own personal "avoid list".

My first week after that visit, I went 6 days with NO pain, until I stupidly ate 2 frozen sliders. I recently ate deli meat and had mild'ish attack, probably because I ate only 3 thin slices.

So in addition to scratch foods being healthier, some might develop food sensitivities to preservatives/additives like me and my dr, so they might want to do a preservative/additive rule-out.

--------------------
I'm tired of hurting; tell me the rules, and I'll gladly follow them!

#361742 - 10/28/10 08:28 PM
Shreela

Reged: 06/12/08
Loc: Houston, TX

PS: I wonder if maybe all that inflammation might have cause the diverticulosis pockets that weren't there for the 1st colonoscopy? If that's possible, too bad we didn't figure out my food sensitivities sooner, but at least I know about them now

--------------------
I'm tired of hurting; tell me the rules, and I'll gladly follow them!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4937

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review