All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I have IBS & developed Food Allergies. Am I alone here?
      #354462 - 01/12/10 10:22 PM
Tenebria

Reged: 04/28/09
Loc: Des Moines, IA

Ok so here's the story:
I'm 20 & in college.
2 years ago after food poisoning, I never fully recovered and developed IBS. I'm talking full on dairy intolerance (but tested negative for lactose intolerance), and bad reactions to fatty things and red meat. During this time I followed the IBS diet detailed here to a T, and it worked perfectly.

Last May, I started having problems with wheat, so I just marked it up as a gluten intolerance and moved on with my life. I started noticing reactions to other foods, but couldn't find a pattern. I switched Drs, and the first thing the new one did was send me to an allergist.
I tested positive for a whopping 14 different allergies. Wheat, yeast, corn, oats, squash, beans, onions, peas, cantaloupe, watermelon, mustard, sesame, peanuts, walnuts. All of the ones i experimented with are legit...it leaves me feeling very sick (bloated, stomachache, diarrhea) and break out in hives.

So here's the question: Has this happened to anyone else? Am I alone in developing food allergies along with IBS?

--------------------
Surviving in college w/ IBS & multiple food allergies.
Life is tough sometimes, but I'm tougher.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have IBS & developed Food Allergies. Am I alone here? new
      #354464 - 01/13/10 06:23 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I couldn't resist giving you a few words of encouragement here. The answer is NO, you are not alone. However, stress is a big factor when it comes to IBS symptoms, and college can be stressful.

You may not be forever allergic to the foods you seem to be having problems with now. Your body might simply be adjusting itself to what it needs presently to offset the stress factor.

I suggest that for the time being that you continue to eat lots of soluable fiber and allow your gut to calm down. Do pay attention to stressors in your life, and do whatever you can to resolve those sooner rather than later. Doing so will help you a lot. I know, I've been there!

IBS lurks once it shows its ugly face, though does not have to be a lifetime serious problem. Education is the key to having power over it rather than allowing it to have power over you.

My best to you now and in the future. Keep on keeping and taking good care of yourself before all else.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#354484 - 01/13/10 10:54 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

What was the test they used to diagnose you?

IgE,IgA, IgG?

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354485 - 01/13/10 10:54 AM
shawneric

Have you ever been tested for celiac sprue?

--------------------

#354489 - 01/13/10 11:26 AM
Tenebria

Yes I've been tested for celiac and a lot of others (chrones, etc.). All came back negative.

So far as the allergy test, it was a scratch test that was the full workup (I think 72 different foods were tested). He told me to try them on my own after eliminating them for a week, and the ones that I did care to try definitely made me sick/break out in hives.

(I had to look it up, but I think it's an IgG allergy...sick right away, but the hives usually take about 12 hrs to show up)

I'm 2 mos into an elimination diet, and every 6 mos or so I'm supposed to try a few to see i've my system has stopped freaking out.

--------------------

#354493 - 01/13/10 03:55 PM
shawneric

There are people who really study allergies and then some that use inappropreate tests. Its important what they tested for and what test they used and the kind of doctor that did the testing.

Was the doctor a real allergy and immunology doctor or an alternative doctor?

The test itself is really important because if you get hives from foods and have a immune reaction that is important.

However the IgG test is not the test for this to find out, so I am wondering about that and the actual test they used which is why I asked.

Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders

Inappropriate use of Conventional Testing
Adverse consequences may also arise if conventional laboratory tests are used in inappropriate clinical situations, or where results are presented in a manner amenable to misinterpretation.

Food specific IgG, IgG4
Use: Diagnosis of food sensitivity / allergy.

Method: Antibodies to food are measured using standard laboratory techniques.

Evidence: Level II

Comment: IgG antibodies to food are commonly detectable in healthy adult patients and children, independent of the presence of absence of food-related symptoms. There is no credible evidence that measuring IgG antibodies is useful for diagnosing food allergy or intolerance, nor that IgG antibodies cause symptoms. In fact, IgG antibodies reflect exposure to allergen but not the presence of disease. The exception is that gliadin IgG antibodies are sometimes useful in monitoring adherence to a gluten-free diet patients with histologically confirmed coeliac disease. Otherwise, inappropriate use of food allergy testing (or misinterpretation of results) in patients with inhalant allergy, for example, may lead to inappropriate and unnecessary dietary restrictions, with particular nutritional implications in children. Despite studies showing the uselessness of this technique, it continues to be promoted in the community, even for diagnosing disorders for which no evidence of immune system involvement exists.

http://www.allergy.org.au/content/view/322/271/

So the type of allergy testing is really important especially if your having an allergic reaction to foods. They can be very serious and sometimes kill people.

Were you also diagnosed with IBS?

--------------------

#354497 - 01/13/10 04:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It's skeptical, but maybe once you avoid the foods to which you are allergic, your symptoms will disappear and you won't have IBS at all. Wouldn't that be great?!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: I have IBS & developed Food Allergies. Am I alone here?
      #354499 - 01/13/10 04:38 PM
shawneric

Little minnie, IBS is a distint functional bowel disorder and not caused by foods that is very important. If you have food allergies that could make IBS worse though.

If its only food allergies and you eliminate the foods and the symptoms you have go away that is great, but they are both different disorders and that is extremely important.

--------------------

#354509 - 01/13/10 09:31 PM
Tenebria

So many questions! lol.

Yes, the Dr. was an allergist and immunology dr.
Yes, I was diagnosed with IBS about 3 years ago after extensive testing to rule out other things. At that point the allergies weren't present.
The test that was performed was the scratch test 2 months ago. I realize that it's an immune reaction, but it is not a life-threatening one (no anaphylaxis, etc). I had the RAST test performed when they were going through the diagnostic process for my IBS and nothing showed up then.

He instructed me to try these foods on my own after staying off them for a week to see how I reacted. After getting it out of my system and then trying them again, I most definitely reacted, and I feel so much better now that i'm not eating them.

The reason I brought this up here, is that my diet is extremely limited between the IBS and allergies (Corn is in EVERYTHING). It really seems over the past three years, things have only gotten worse. It is a lurking fear that something else major like soy is going to get knocked out of my list of ok foods. I so I'm truly curious if this has happened to other people and how they're coping.

--------------------

#354511 - 01/13/10 09:42 PM
shawneric

some allergies can just start at anytime.

Food allergies are an immune reaction that trigger mast cells. Stress and the fight or flight can also trigger mast cells. Two major players in IBS are ec cells oor enterochromaffin cells that stores and release serotonin and mast cells. The act of eating itself can trigger IBS symtoms as well.

Having a food allergy on top of IBS makes the IBS even worse.

I have to post this here, as its a responce from a top IBS doctor who is also an expert on allergies. This is really important in IBS.

They already know foods don't cause IBS, but some info for you.

Dr Drossman is the chairman of the rome committe to diagnose funtional disorders and one of the worlds leading experts. Did you see the new video I posted from him and PBS?

FYI

Dr Drossman's comments on foods for IBS Health.

Shawn,
To say that people with IBS may get symptoms from food intolerances is an acceptable possibility, since the gut will over react to stressors of all types including food (high fat or large volumes of food in particular). Futhermore, there can be specific intolerances. So if you have a lactose intolerance for example, it can exacerbate, or even mimic IBS. Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse.

However, it is important to separate factors that worsen IBS (e.g., foods as above, stress, hormonal changes, etc.) from the cause or pathophysiology of IBS. Just like stress doesn't cause IBS, (though it can make it worse), foods must be understood as aggravating rather than etiological in nature.

The cause of IBS is yet to be determined. However, modern research understands IBS as a disorder of increased reactivity of the bowel, visceral hypersensitivity and dysfunction of the brain-gut axis. There are subgroups being defined as well, including post-infectious IBS which can lead to IBS symptoms. Other work using brain imaging shows that the pain regulation center of the brain (cingulate cortex) can be impaired, as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation. So finding a specific "cause" of IBS has grown out of general interest in place of understanding physiological subgroups that may become amenable to more specific treatments. Hope that helps.
Doug

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibs_foods_2.htm

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoodsinfo.htm

Dr Wood's comments for me

"Dr. Jack Wood, a renowned physiologist at The Ohio State University calls the ENS “the little-brain-in-the-gut.”

"Dear Shawn:

Sorry for the delayed reply to your question. I generally agree with Dr. Drosssman's response. A subgroup of individuals when they become sensitized to specific molecules in certain foods respond to ingestion of the molecules with symptoms of cramping abdominal pain, fecal urgency and explosive watery diarrhea. These are also the primary symptoms of diarrhea-predominant IBS. Enteric mast cells, by mechanisms we don't understand, become sensitized to the food molecule and respond to its presence by releasing a signal to the brain-in-the-gut (ENS) which is interpreted as a threat. The ENS responds by running a program which organizes secretion and motility into a behavior pattern of the bowel, which rapidly clears the threat from the lumen. Because to be effective secretion occurs in large volumes and the contractions that accomplish rapid propulsion are strong, running of the program has the side effects of diarrhea and cramping pain.

Big brain input to mast cells during stress activates the mast cells to evoke the symptoms resulting from exposure of the mast cells to sensitizing food antigens. Aside from food allergens and mast cells, certain chemicals such as those in hot peppers, stimulate sensory nerves in the ENS and we are beginning to understand how this can also lead to food-related symptoms that might mimic or exacerbate IBS.

Hope this helps,

Jackie (Jack) D. Wood "

"You have two brains: one in your head and another in your gut. Dr. Jackie D. Wood is a renowned physiologist at The Ohio State University. He calls the second brain, "the-little-brain-in-the-gut." This enteric nervous system is part of the autonomic nervous system and contains over one hundred million neurons, which is as many as are in the spinal cord. This complex network of nerves lines the walls of the digestive tract form the esophagus all the way down to the colon. This little brain in the gut is connected to the big brain by the vagus nerves, bundles of nerve fibers running from the GI tract to the head. All neurotransmitters, such as serotonin that are found in the brain are also present in the gut.

Dr Wood has discovered that this little-brain-in-the-gut has programs that are designed for our protection and which are very much like computer programs. They respond to perceived threats in the same way that the limbic system or the emotional brain does. So the threat of a gastrointestinal infection can activate the program that increases gut contractions in order to get rid of the infection. The symptoms are abdominal cramping and diarrhea.

Dr. Wood has determined that a type of cell found in the body and the gut, called the mast cell, is a key to understanding the connection of the big brain in the head with the little-brain-in-the-gut. Mast cells are involved in defense of the body. In response to certain threats or triggers, such as pollen or infection, mast cells release chemicals, such as histamine, that help to fight off the invader. Histamine is one of the chemicals that causes the symptoms of an allergy or a cold. When an infection of the gut occurs, such as food poisoning or gastroenteritis, the mast cells of the gut release histamine. The little-brain-in-the-gut interprets the mast cell signal of histamine release as a threat and calls up a protective program designed to remove the threat " at the expense of symptoms: abdominal pain and diarrhea.

The brain to mast cell connection has a direct clinical relevance for irritable bowel syndrome and other functional gastrointestinal syndromes. It implies a mechanism for linking allostasis and the good stress response to irritable states (e.g., abdominal pain and diarrhea) of the gut. Mast cells can be activated to release histamine in response to perceived psychological stress, whether the stressor or trigger is consciously perceived or not. So the end result is the same as if an infection activated the program in the-little-brain-in-the-gut: abdominal pain and diarrhea."

Mast cells are also connected to bladder problems like IC and one reason why some IBSrs also have bladder issues.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 7443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review