All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Microwaving
      #354433 - 01/12/10 05:13 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I heard that microwaving water for tea and food can cause an IBS attack. I use the microwave a real lot, i try not to but its really hard because I am always rushing around. I know the microwave is not good in that it takes the nutrients away from the food, but have any of you noticed it causes stomach pain? I sometimes heat my water in the microwave for tea and sometimes I dont feel well after and not sure why. It may just be because of something I ate earlier, im not sure. Just wondering if any of you noticed this. I feel like it is very hard for me to stop using the microwave and since I have been told this, it just increases my anxiety and makes me feel like there is no way I can do this whole diet thing. Thank youu.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Microwaving new
      #354434 - 01/12/10 05:28 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The only thing microwaving does is cause water molecules to vibrate and this agitation produces heat which in turn heats the food.

There is a lot of misinformation on the web about microwaves. Here is a link to a more complete discussion. And here is a full discussion by the FDA who regulate microwaves in the US. It is always best to check with a reliable source that has the knowledge to evalute such technologies.

There is no reason that microwaving food will have any effect on IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354470 - 01/13/10 08:48 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/cook4.php

#354471 - 01/13/10 09:29 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I would be very careful about the information from that website.

I have been a chef for over 25 years.

There is no reason cooking in a microwave would cause an IBS attack, other then the food not being cook to temperture and food poisoning or something.

A lot of different cooking methods may result in loss of nutrients of foods. But that wouldn't set off IBS either. Foods also are not the cause of IBS but triggers to the underlying disorder.

The anxiety could trigger an attack.

Hot water and tea on an empty stomch could ba problem. Some IBSers are even sensitive to hot and cold water.

There are some people out there that are kindof against microwaves in general. But they are use a lot, not just the ovens, but phones and transmission. Being bombarded by microwaves isn't such a good thing really.

Microwave Oven Radiation

http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/ResourcesforYouRadiationEmittingProducts/Consumers/ucm142616.htm

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Cooking_Safely_in_the_Microwave/index.asp

I would be really careful about some of the information on the site dana posted, there is some inaccurate information on that site.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354472 - 01/13/10 09:35 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks Dana for the link. I do not own a microwave and never have. I was also just turned on to this website by Carolyn. I am still reading through all of the info.

#354473 - 01/13/10 09:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

This web site and many others contain the claim "There was a lawsuit in 1991 in Oklahoma. A woman named Norma Levitt had hip surgery, but was killed by a simple blood transfusion when a nurse "warmed the blood for the transfusion in a microwave oven!" This claim is false. In fact Norma Levitt was killed by a blood clot, not by blood heated in a microwave. Check the judgement for Warner v. Hillcrest Medical Center. The information on this web is questionable at best.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354481 - 01/13/10 10:47 AM
shawneric

There is all kinds of bad information on that site. Wow

--------------------

#354486 - 01/13/10 10:58 AM
shawneric

FYI

Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy

While our ability to accurately diagnose and treat allergic disease has benefited from scientific understanding of what happens during an allergic reaction, a number of tests and treatments have been promoted in the absence of any scientific rationale. Some non-conventional approaches to disease also claim that various disorders unrelated to allergy have an immune basis. These tests and treatments have been shown to be unreliable when subjected to careful study. ASCIA advises against use of these tests for diagnosis or to guide medical treatment.

Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders

http://www.allergy.org.au/content/view/322/271/

--------------------

shawneric started my food diary new
      #354487 - 01/13/10 11:00 AM

Unregistered

pretty detailed. One thing I've seen a pattern if I eat soon before bed. The food I ate is in the stool I have when I wake up in the morning. There are days before that should come out.

Re: shawneric started my food diary new
      #354495 - 01/13/10 04:04 PM
shawneric

make usre its foods and your moods and feelings.

I wouldn't eat to soon before you go to bed anyway as that is not a good thing.

This is also one reason why you want to find a good doctor.
If your not absorbing food right or digesting them right that is really important. For one it can cause malnutrition.

IBSers digest food normally.

--------------------

No new
      #354496 - 01/13/10 04:07 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

My mom claims more tummy problems from crock pots, gas stoves and certain cookware. I don't know about that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#354508 - 01/13/10 08:59 PM

Unregistered

It's hard to associate a food with a mood because less than an hour I wake up in the morning the bathroom problems start. I can say I feel tired and crabby even though I woke up feeling rested.

#354510 - 01/13/10 09:33 PM
shawneric

aperson, did you watch the vidoe I posted from DFr Drossman?

You should atchg that.

You don't have toassociate foods and moods, both are seperate, just how you feel each day or at times of the day.

Mornings can be bad for IBSers because of the chemical cortisol, which is a stress chemical, but also used to wkae up your digestion in the mornings.

When you wake up how soon do you think about your gut?

--------------------

#354522 - 01/14/10 07:53 AM

Unregistered

I don't really think about my gut when I'm waking up, I just go to make my tea as soon as I get out of bed because I feel so full of gas and uncomfortable.

I'd say soon after getting up because it acts up right away. While I notice it,I am more relaxed for a while. I'd say within 15minutes of getting out of bed my ibs is full blown acting up with gas and uncomfortable, then soon the bathroom problems start I feel crappy all day.

#354526 - 01/14/10 09:57 AM
shawneric

Part of the vicious cycle.

symptoms-anxiety-symtoms

Do you do anything to counter anxiety?

--------------------

#354555 - 01/14/10 04:49 PM

Unregistered

I'm so sorry. Today I feel not only did I let myself down,I feel I let the people who take the time and effort to help me down. I basically started my food diary and stopped. I had alot of stress today. I ate alot of foods I liked that aren't safe,which is lots dairy,fat and redmeat. So I will go find my own way and will let you know when I stay on diet and see improvement.

actually not just today most of this week.

Edited by aperson (01/14/10 04:51 PM)

#354558 - 01/14/10 05:26 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Aperson, we all make mistakes and fall of the wagon,so to speak, but you seem to do it consistently. If you want to be well you need to make a consistent effort. McDonald's junk food is not going to do it for you. That wouldn't even work for someone who does not have IBS. It is just junk, pure and simple.

I am not being mean to you, just pointing out that you seem to do this often. You didn't let us down, you let yourself down. You say you had stress today, well that is the perfect time to really keep track of everything. That in itself, could be one of your anwsers...that stress itself causes you to veer from your path. Things don't always go good for many of us, but you have to continue to make the effort to stick with good food.

#354563 - 01/14/10 06:41 PM
shawneric

Gerikat is right its not us per se but doing things that upset your gut. Stress can be a major factor for symptoms on top of junk food is asking for trouble.

Again I am concerned in that you need a good doctor. Some people can even benefit from psycological help, nt that your crazy or anything, buit they can teach you ways to reduce stress and worry and get your feet back on the ground.

Listen to your body and what it is telling you.

This too is being mean or anything its really important. You can feel better.

--------------------

#354587 - 01/14/10 09:50 PM

Unregistered

don't worry I know mean when I read it on here. I will go find my own way and get back to you so often on any progress or improvements I see.

It will only be through email and not on the boards though,hope you reply when I send emails.

#354608 - 01/15/10 09:40 AM
shawneric

aperson, you can still ask me questions here, I would rather do that then my emails, because I get to mnay of those already for other non IBS reasons.

Did you watch the video I posted from Dr Drossman? If not please watch that video.

--------------------

#354612 - 01/15/10 10:20 AM

Unregistered

hi I just emailed you. I didn't know what to do because I wanted to tell you I'd just email you without saying another word. I just really wanted to make my reasons private. Since there are no pm's allowed on this board and anyone can read my post. I just emailed you,I'm sorry.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8422 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11597

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review