All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
soy milk questions
      #354391 - 01/10/10 02:24 PM

Unregistered

I have silk light origional. IS causing me to release trapped gas or just causing more gas and bloating? it is weird I hardly went at all today.

is it making me feel more tired and crabby?

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 02:37 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soy milk questions new
      #354392 - 01/10/10 03:03 PM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

I have problems with soy milk also. I stopped drinking it and now use either rice milk or almond milk. They dont bother me at all and you can get them in regular flavor or vanilla flavor.

#354396 - 01/10/10 11:40 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Soy milk made me feel lousy.

#354398 - 01/11/10 08:20 AM

Unregistered

thank you for your help. Maybe I shouldn't rule it out yet,or try drinking less of it. IT is hard to say if i've had a problem with it before or not because of my bad diet. I have been making diet changes and should give my body a chance to adjust. IT is a week or 2(sometimes its a week before the green pills or on the green pills) before my menstral also. Not all the bad food I've eaten will be out of my system for a while also. I have given up so many food and added strawberrues,blueberries,and blackberries (think are my fav.) I'd just hate to give up a food to find out I just need to drink less of it or add more IF or something like that. I'm eating bananas in smoothies with the berries. Today so far I've eaten pasta with tuna peas and some vegenaise all mixed up,think that is fine?

Edited by aperson (01/11/10 08:29 AM)

shaneric/think I have an answere about the clam chowder recipe new
      #354405 - 01/11/10 11:20 AM

Unregistered

also here is my other post,maybe u missed it,oh and please read the one right before this about my dietary changeds

"thank you for your help. There is so many things with my ibs right now,such as alot of dietary changes I'm making adding more foods now and trying new recipes,plus acacia. I'ts a week or 2 before my monthly.I strongly agree figuring everything out and doing everything right and getting the diet and food stuff for my personal needs down to a t,I will be alot better.

will u please answere about the Kolanticon Gel ? also should I get plain benefiber powder or the one with calcium and potatssium,don't know if it makes d worse?"

I do not know that I have a seafood allergy but that recipe just REALLY doesn't agree with me. IF it's a food allergy to the clam juice,then it's only digestive upset because no rash or throwing up..Last time I made heather's sweet corn and crab velvet soup I also felt more sick then. But I think maybe it has to do with that I used a diffrent brand of imitation crab meat and noticed sorbitol in the ingredients,which I hear is ibs unsafe. But I also don't remember if it was in the other brand I used or not..

Re: shaneric/think I have an answere about the clam chowder recipe new
      #354406 - 01/11/10 11:53 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

i have been using Kolanticon Gel for 3 days and feeling bit better i think it was also cos my dads home and i have gone back on soya and having papaya fruit after tea is there a way i can send you some aperson i will do if i can

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#354407 - 01/11/10 12:06 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

aperson, don't do to many things at once, you won't know what works or doesn't work.

You can make yourself crazy also trying to figure out to much at once. Go slow one thing at a time.

You start the food and moods diary?

I can't answer about the fiber, fiber can be an individual thing to each person, some it upsets and some it helps and depends on the fiber. Heather has the best advise on the fiber. I can tell you fiber is important overall.

as for the food allergy, you really need to see a doctor. That should be the most important thing you do right now. Somehow figure out how to pay or be seen, there has to be a way, talk to your folks and look for free resources ect.. Maybe someone up there is doing an IBS study.

You can't self diagnose yourself with everything that could be wrong.

Its not just foods that set IBS off, so do hormones and anxiety and streesors and other factors. So you can't always blame food for a upset. It can be combinations of things as well, sometimes just the act of eating itself.

On the forums some people have had sucess with calcium and d. potatssium helps muslces and is a reason you take it so you don't get charlie horses or muslce cramps.

Those should be okay.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354408 - 01/11/10 12:33 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

i no now that its not just food over last few days cos i have spent it with my dads so nice and i never had one attack at all and now am at home alone am having pains bloating

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#354410 - 01/11/10 12:41 PM

Unregistered

how nice of you! I can give you my adress..I found a site that will ship to me..but the shipping is $15! that is more than the kolanticon gel. How can I send you money for it? do you have a paypal account?

#354411 - 01/11/10 01:19 PM

Unregistered

Well someone who knows alot about food allgeries told me today that It really sounds like a food intolerance

"To my knowledge, there is no at home allergy test you can take.

Gas and loose stool isn't a typical food allergy symptom, but does sound like an intolerance symptom. It is possible that you have an intolerance to clams/juice.

If you develop any other symptoms that are more severe, I would stop consuming the clam juice and get allergy tested to clams/shellfish."

I did some google searching and there would have been other signs,that it would just not have been digestive upset are, vomiting,rash,headache,trouble breathing.

ok I will put together a food diary, I will have colums for everday like mood,symptoms and other things will get back to you on that.

"Its not just foods that set IBS off, so do hormones and anxiety and streesors and other factors. So you can't always blame food for a upset. It can be combinations of things as well, sometimes just the act of eating itself."

food diary is a must right now because of so many things happening all at once and all the factors. I'm sure with time and being good at keeping track a pattern will be noticed.

#354414 - 01/11/10 02:30 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

You know as I can't remember now, were you ever diagnosed with IBS by a doctor?

"Well someone who knows alot about food allgeries told me today that It really sounds like a food intolerance"

Not necessarily, it could be IBS?

also a food allergy is an immune response and a food intolerence is not.

Food allergies can cause d and pain and gas. They effect the mast cells in the body.

I have to post this here as there is no link. it was sent to me personally.

Dr Wood is a major expert on IBS but also food allergies.

Dr. Jack Wood, a renowned physiologist at The Ohio State University calls the ENS β€œthe little-brain-in-the-gut.”

"Dear Shawn:

Sorry for the delayed reply to your question. I generally agree with Dr. Drosssman's response. A subgroup of individuals when they become sensitized to specific molecules in certain foods respond to ingestion of the molecules with symptoms of cramping abdominal pain, fecal urgency and explosive watery diarrhea. These are also the primary symptoms of diarrhea-predominant IBS. Enteric mast cells, by mechanisms we don't understand, become sensitized to the food molecule and respond to its presence by releasing a signal to the brain-in-the-gut (ENS) which is interpreted as a threat. The ENS responds by running a program which organizes secretion and motility into a behavior pattern of the bowel, which rapidly clears the threat from the lumen. Because to be effective secretion occurs in large volumes and the contractions that accomplish rapid propulsion are strong, running of the program has the side effects of diarrhea and cramping pain.

Big brain input to mast cells during stress activates the mast cells to evoke the symptoms resulting from exposure of the mast cells to sensitizing food antigens. Aside from food allergens and mast cells, certain chemicals such as those in hot peppers, stimulate sensory nerves in the ENS and we are beginning to understand how this can also lead to food-related symptoms that might mimic or exacerbate IBS.

Hope this helps,

Jackie (Jack) D. Wood "

Importantly also with the mast cells

FYI

"You have two brains: one in your head and another in your gut. Dr. Jackie D. Wood is a renowned physiologist at The Ohio State University. He calls the second brain, "the-little-brain-in-the-gut." This enteric nervous system is part of the autonomic nervous system and contains over one hundred million neurons, which is as many as are in the spinal cord. This complex network of nerves lines the walls of the digestive tract form the esophagus all the way down to the colon. This little brain in the gut is connected to the big brain by the vagus nerves, bundles of nerve fibers running from the GI tract to the head. All neurotransmitters, such as serotonin that are found in the brain are also present in the gut.

Dr Wood has discovered that this little-brain-in-the-gut has programs that are designed for our protection and which are very much like computer programs. They respond to perceived threats in the same way that the limbic system or the emotional brain does. So the threat of a gastrointestinal infection can activate the program that increases gut contractions in order to get rid of the infection. The symptoms are abdominal cramping and diarrhea.

Dr. Wood has determined that a type of cell found in the body and the gut, called the mast cell, is a key to understanding the connection of the big brain in the head with the little-brain-in-the-gut. Mast cells are involved in defense of the body. In response to certain threats or triggers, such as pollen or infection, mast cells release chemicals, such as histamine, that help to fight off the invader. Histamine is one of the chemicals that causes the symptoms of an allergy or a cold. When an infection of the gut occurs, such as food poisoning or gastroenteritis, the mast cells of the gut release histamine. The little-brain-in-the-gut interprets the mast cell signal of histamine release as a threat and calls up a protective program designed to remove the threat β€" at the expense of symptoms: abdominal pain and diarrhea.

The brain to mast cell connection has a direct clinical relevance for irritable bowel syndrome and other functional gastrointestinal syndromes. It implies a mechanism for linking allostasis and the good stress response to irritable states (e.g., abdominal pain and diarrhea) of the gut. Mast cells can be activated to release histamine in response to perceived psychological stress, whether the stressor or trigger is consciously perceived or not. So the end result is the same as if an infection activated the program in the-little-brain-in-the-gut: abdominal pain and diarrhea."

"Food allergies or food intolerances affect nearly everyone at some point. People often have an unpleasant reaction to something they ate and wonder if they have a food allergy. One out of three people either say that they have a food allergy or that they modify the family diet because a family member is suspected of having a food allergy. But only about three percent of children have clinically proven allergic reactions to foods. In adults, the prevalence of food allergy drops to about one percent of the total population."

This difference between the clinically proven prevalence of food allergy and the public perception of the problem is in part due to reactions called "food intolerances" rather than food allergies. A food allergy, or hypersensitivity, is an abnormal response to a food that is triggered by the immune system. The immune system is not responsible for the symptoms of a food intolerance, even though these symptoms can resemble those of a food allergy.

It is extremely important for people who have true food allergies to identify them and prevent allergic reactions to food because these reactions can cause devastating illness and, in some cases, be fatal.

http://www.fbhc.org/Patients/Modules/foodallergy.cfm

Enyzmes are invovled in a lot of food intolerences, like Lactose intolerence or frutose intolernces, Carbohydrate Intolerance and others.

""To my knowledge, there is no at home allergy test you can take."

I would not do this and get tested by an allergy expert.

You might want to get tested for celiac though possibly from a doctor.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354417 - 01/11/10 02:44 PM

Unregistered

yes I was diagnosed by a doctor.

yes I did have some cramps not bad or alot,strong urgency and had only digestive upsets. NOt actual D but more watery and mushy. But I think about 2 days ago it was like exploding on the toilet tons of gas and urgency,it was loud.

", become sensitized to the food molecule and respond to its presence by releasing a signal to the brain-in-the-gut (ENS) which is interpreted as a threat. The ENS responds by running a program which organizes secretion and motility into a behavior pattern of the bowel, which rapidly clears the threat from the lumen. Because to be effective secretion occurs in large volumes and the contractions that accomplish rapid propulsion are strong, running of the program has the side effects of diarrhea and cramping pain."

rapid propulsion? is that like the violent or lots of spasms I felt?

I do have some small hemmorieds where I can feel them with my finger. ALso I get like a cramp and a straining feeling at the same time can it be cause by the hemorid? I just got one in my right a little below the rib cage.

gotta run to work,talk later bye

#354419 - 01/11/10 04:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is probably another reason for the tired and crabby- but yes soy milk can increase gas. It is rather heavy and doesn't settle well in the gut for many. I handle it fine for cooking and baking but prefer rice milk for drinking and cereal. Lately even rice milk and cereal feels real heavy to me.
Soy products are something to start small with and increase gradually.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

For aperson... *DELETED* new
      #354428 - 01/11/10 07:59 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Post deleted by Windchimes

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: For aperson... new
      #354431 - 01/11/10 08:48 PM

Unregistered

I have said I have had blood work done several times, NO I have not had a colonocopy. I have had x rays and a barium enema and that is all. I never remember saying I never had bloodwork done. I never remember saying I did have a colonoscopy done,because I haven't and wouldn't say that I did. Ok IT is so awful everyday but I don't need to whine or complain to my parents before an attack and going in the bathroom and such is what I meant. THey don't need to hear "omg harldy went today" such stuff like that.

I don't change stories. Perhaps I said something unclear. I don't lie about the diet I admit when I fall off it. I can go a few days on it and then randomly give in.

Edited by aperson (01/11/10 08:50 PM)

What fruits do you eat? - nt - new
      #354435 - 01/12/10 06:58 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: β™‚, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: What fruits do you eat? - nt - new
      #354436 - 01/12/10 07:41 AM

Unregistered

strawberries,blackberries,blueberries,bananas,apples.

I get told my breath smells and I burp all the time at work and someone said it smells rotton. THe burping is unpleasant and annoying

#354437 - 01/12/10 07:49 AM
Syl

Try not eating apples or anything with apples or pears or juice from these fruits in it for a few days and see if this helps at all.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#354441 - 01/12/10 08:26 AM

Unregistered

Well I haven't eaten an apple or pear in weeks or any juices.

#354442 - 01/12/10 08:39 AM
Syl

Have you eaten anything like snack bars with the juice from apples or pears?

--------------------

#354443 - 01/12/10 08:43 AM

Unregistered

sure haven't.

vegtables I eat.. new
      #354445 - 01/12/10 09:31 AM

Unregistered

I eat alot of diffrent things because I like to cook recipes and eat off them during the week so I have a healthy fulfilling meal. Many recipes have onions,carrots,celery,squash,potatoes,garlic,I have tried spinach like 2 weeks ago and not sure if it liked me,don't think so.sometimes I eat peas once in a while corn,havne't had corn in monthes,but have been eating peas this week. Ate pasta with peas tuna and some vegenaise mixed in the last 2 or 3 days. Rice chex,lite soy milk. Going to set up a food diary with open office today.

Re: vegtables I eat.. new
      #354451 - 01/12/10 12:26 PM
Syl

The food diary is a great idea. Have fun

--------------------

#354452 - 01/12/10 12:30 PM

Unregistered

actually I think I'm going to wait a week to start it because Istill have bad food in me,the clam chowder,mcdonalds and caffeine.

#354459 - 01/12/10 05:29 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

It wouldn't be a bad idea to start it now. Yes, there's still "bad stuff" in your system, but the journal can help you identify triggers as well as safe foods. Besides, there's no time like the present to start something positive.

#354642 - 01/17/10 09:34 AM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

Hello, Im new to the boards and wanted to add a comment on this thread. I've noticed soy milk and soy yogurt also irritates my stomach (cramps, gas) so I've switched to almond milk which i find to be yummy. I was curious if people with reactions to soy milk would also have reactions to other soy products (like tofu, soy beans, etc.) ?

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

#354645 - 01/17/10 10:44 AM
Syl

Welcome to the board,

Many of us cannot eat soy products at all for the reasons you listed as problems you have with soy milk. You may have to experiment and see if you can tolerate other soy products. Also, some individuals have mentioned that Beano helps with gas from soy products.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2860 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19750

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review