All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: For Syl and Shawneric new
      #354354 - 01/09/10 05:24 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

To be honest I'm afraid of getting the colonoscopy. Last time I took Milk of Magnesia (a month or so ago) it didn't work very well... I had "the runs" a few times but it definitely did not feel like I got emptied out enough. So I'm afraid the laxatives I'd have to take the night before the colonscopy wouldn't work as well as they should on me either. It seems like I'd be abusing my poor bowel even more on top of the two months of stimulant laxatives back in the summer.

How is a pelvic floor test done?

I take the black walnut hull, wormwood, and cloves for parasites. I grew up with cats, so it seemed like a good idea to de-parasitize myself, and sure enough, after my first round of taking these, I definitely saw, without a doubt, things in the toilet that could be nothing other than parasites. It was horrifying. I still see some here and there, which means I am still killing parasites.

Both my regular doctor and the G.I. say I have IBS. The only tests they're going off of are blood tests and an ultrasound on my liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.

By the way... I work in a circuit board factory, which means I am exposed to lead fumes from soldering 40 hrs/ week. Thoughts on this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Dannadivine/shawneric new
      #354367 - 01/09/10 09:30 PM

Unregistered

Dannadivine I really wish you well. I am working hard on getting better too.

shawneric, Maybe I should do the parasite thing? I grew up having cats/kittens all lthe time. I thinking of taking the Kolanticon Gel http://www.mastersdirect.com/product/0077362?source=pl

shawneric,do you think that would be good for me to take? Oh and I really believe all my "balls" of gas and all the crazy uncomfortable poping and Me feling so bloating and feeling like my body is straining and I really feel I need to sit down,I know it's Incomplete evacuation and all my body trying to empty or get that piece out. For example many times I am trying to leave for work but feel a stool there and just out of reach where I can't pull it out,so then I lay down and release gas and such but still cant get it out until I've wen to bed and get up in the morning. I mean I push and strain but trying to relax and breath right at the same time and it just won't come out but its right there..

"but LOTs of things can contribute to flares, hormones, sleep, moods, all kinds of things. Even the weather.

One thing here Aperson, the symptoms cause anxiety, anxiety causes more symptoms. This is the IBS vicious cycle."

Not only that it is a vicious cyle of,I don't know what the specific word is?? lol but I will explain.

One example is I get told I'm too beutiful and too young to have these ibs problems and they hate to see me waste my life away. I can't disagree with any of that,but I don't go around acting hot or go around thinking it. It's like I don't really care how I look,but kinda do. I guess it's flattering getting told you are sexy,attractive,or bluntly nice blank,but don't really care about it. Like I just shower and get haircuts when I really need to. I can't remember the last time I put any makeup on and I like to highlight my eyes with eyeliner or some lipgloss,ect. I'm never in jeans I'm always around the house with ugly pajamas on. I can't remember the last time I shaved my legs or took care of my unibrow problem. I just feel so bad and run down I don't even worry about those things. I mean yea I would like to dress up and do my hair and makeup and at the same time care less though. Like I could care less about how I'm just in pajamas everytime my bf sees me. It's so comfortable for my ibs and It's become a chore to put on jeans or do my makeup. Heck I'm often late for work stuck on the toilet and rush out the door without brushing my teeth. Please don't think "poor little maria" I just don't like it. I am really going to try harder to get better. I've already started. Last 2 days tons of temptations right in front of my face and I didnt even take one bite.

question about fibers. Fibercon is really good. I heard someone mention benefiber powder success...COuld I try takeing fibercon,benefiber powder and acacia,balancing it out throughout the day? there is one plain benefiber and one plain but with calcium and potatsiom or something,would that cause d?
http://www.benefiber.com/products/benefiberPowdersPlusCalcium.shtml

forgive me if something in this post is wrong like spelling errors or anything,hope its all clear I am tired but in a flare and almost time for bed.

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 08:36 AM)

Re: Dannadivine/shawneric new
      #354374 - 01/10/10 10:29 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Aperson, thank you. We'll both find our way back to normality, I'm sure. It's a challenging journey, but it makes us so much stronger.

I've been struggling with incomplete evacuation just like you for months and months. Regardless of the cause or causes, I think a fiber supplement is our best answer right now. Do you have Heather's IBS book called The First Year? There's a section in there that makes a lot of sense about how acacia (or other soluble fiber supplements) helps your colon grab onto and completely evacuate stool. I've been trying acacia for about a week now, very slowly, just a 1/4 tsp twice a day for awhile, and now 1/2 tsp twice a day, and already I am noticing even more improvement. I have had a couple days I knew I didn't empty myself properly, but it didn't make me miserable like it usually does, and I've had some mornings where I do feel properly empty.

I know where you're coming from when you talk about not caring to put makeup on, etc, believe me! But I've found that sometimes, when I'm not feeling good, if I keep persistently acting like I'm okay, and keep telling myself I will be okay and start feeling better soon, and put makeup on and take pride in the way I look, it does help.
Keep telling yourself you are on the right track... stay positive and optimistic... it helps.

Re: For Syl and Shawneric new
      #354377 - 01/10/10 11:04 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

You shouldn't be afraid of the colonoscopy and the bowel prep will work. They also knock you out so you don't feel anything. Your gut flora will go back to normal as well. Some people feel better after having one done, a few have some issues for a while and it goes back to normal.

This can be an important test to have done and a lot can be ruled out by it that can be really important.

Did you see stringy kinds of things?

"Hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms and whip worms are some of the common worm-type cat parasites"

"The human body can harbor many types of intestinal worms. Some are relatively harmless, while others cause considerable discomfort and illness. Depending on the type of worm, the symptoms can range from no symptoms or mild itching, diarrhea and vomiting to extreme abdominal pain, intestinal bleeding or serious effects on other body organs.The primary intestinal worms which cause detrimental effects in humans are: pin worms, hookworms, strongyloides, tapeworms, toxocara, trichinella and whip worms."

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_5063423_types-intestinal-worms-humans.html

The symptoms of parasites differ from the specific cluster of symptoms of IBS, like the feeling of incomplete evacuation for one and its important to NOT self diangose these and get the right treatments for the ones you have and some of these can get really seriously like heartworms, among others.

They also have pills just to get rid of parasites in humans effectively.

These would also cause "red Flag" symptoms to an IBS diagnoses. Some are also infectious and you could be infecting others, even more reason to get properly diagnosed about what ones you might have.

With some infections you can develop anemia.

IBS however is not cause by parasites. So these would be another issue on top of IBS.

So you weren't diagnosed with them from a doctor? I really suggest you do that as there are very effective short term treatments.

I personally think your upsetting the gi tract and causing more gas by doing what your doing with some of those supplements.

Pelvic floor testing, there are different tests.

Anal Manometry
The evaluation of the strength of the muscles which control your bowel movements. The test is performed by placing a small tube the size of a drinking straw into the rectum. Pressure monitors inside the tube transmit the muscle impulses to a graph similar to an electrocardiogram. It is a painless procedure which takes 10 minutes to perform.

Anal Ultrasound
An examination using high frequency sound waves to create images of tissue layers beneath the surface of the anal canal. A smooth probe the size of a finger is placed in the anus. This test is used to map out anal fistulas before surgery, and to look for lesions, tears, or scarring in the sphincter muscles. It is a safe, painless procedure and no radiation is used.

Rectal Ultrasound
an examination using high frequency sound waves to create images of tissue layer beneath the surface of the rectum. A probe is put into the rectum through the anal opening. A small amount of fluid is put into the tip of the probe so that the surface of the probe is touching the inside of the rectum. This allows for better visualization of the tissue. It is a safe painless procedure and no radiation is used.

EMG
EMG is a test to determine if the nerves that supply your sphincter muscle are intact and that all your muscles relax and contract as they should. These tests are performed by measuring the electrical activity with a small sponge in the anus, or by stimulating the nerve with a small electrode. There is minimal discomfort associated with this test.

Cine Defecography
A test of the motion of the pelvic floor, the muscles which control a bowel movement, and the motion of the anus and rectum during a bowel movement. A small amount of thickening barium is placed in the rectum while a video recording is made as you expel the barium. Contrast may also be placed in the vagina of female patients to better define movement of the rectum toward the vagina.

Triple Contrast Cine Defecography
Looks at the motion of the small intestine during bowel movements. You will have to drink a small glass of barium 90 minutes before the test. The test is then conducted the same as a cine defecography.

Peritoneography
Peritoneography is a more advanced test for patients who have pelvic floor problems which can-not be fully diagnosed with the usual tests. These patients may have had previous surgery for a pelvic floor problem. It combines a cine defecography with the placement of a special fluid in your abdomen. An area on your abdomen is injected with a numbing agent (Lidocaine). A small needle is then inserted into your abdomen to inject the contrast. A cine defecography is then performed.

http://www.pelvicfloorcenter.org/Anorectal.asp

There is no exact test for IBS, its based the cluistering of symptoms and if they use the rome criteria, 98 percent accurate. If both your gi and regular doctor think you have IBS, its most likely IBS.

"By the way... I work in a circuit board factory, which means I am exposed to lead fumes from soldering 40 hrs/ week. Thoughts on this?"

Not a good thing. Don't they give you respirator or something to protect you from the fumes?

What are your IBS symptoms exactly?

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354379 - 01/10/10 11:17 AM
shawneric

Aperson, if you think you have a parasites go to a doctor and have them do a stool test. Some would also be found in blood work. They have specific anit-parasite pills that work effectively and quickly.

Were working on an internal medicince doctor for you to go see, they are a little better usally then primary care ones for IBS.

IN IBS testing , 0-2% had parasites on top of having IBS.
They don't cause IBS.

Its important to work on personal issues and will get to that soon also, they are very important.

I have had this since ten from post infectious IBS and am almost 50 now. You can get it when your young.

You should start all fibers at low doeses and some fibers don't help all IBSers and can created more gas and pain. They can also help some people. The acacia is something to ask Heather or others about, as I don't personally know much about that one.

It can take sometimes up to 8 weeks for your body to adjust to fibers, some a lot sooner and some it just bothers people.

Aperson, for you the biggest issue at the moment is to get you into see a good doctor to work with you.

--------------------

#354381 - 01/10/10 11:24 AM

Unregistered

NO I don't think I have parasites,she mentioned cats and parasits,and i've had cats my whole life.

No offense,but I really don't think I'm going to the doctor since I haven't given the EFI a good try or even the hypnosis tapes and I"d say my stress can be a problem right now because of unstability.

Really sorry but I have no money and bills I can't even pay right now,and once I do get them paid I need to save what little I can. My dad yelled at me to get insurance. Well I already have a hard time affording the $100 dollars I pay at the pharmacy every month. I buy food,heather's products,fibercon

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 11:27 AM)

#354384 - 01/10/10 11:35 AM
shawneric

"But I've found that sometimes, when I'm not feeling good, if I keep persistently acting like I'm okay, and keep telling myself I will be okay and start feeling better soon, and put makeup on and take pride in the way I look, it does help.
Keep telling yourself you are on the right track... stay positive and optimistic... it helps."

Good advice, the brain plays a really important role in IBS symptoms and management, more so then the majority of IBSers realize.

--------------------

#354385 - 01/10/10 11:41 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sorry, aperson, you need a doctor visit first and foremost. That is just the bottom line. The EFI diet, the hypnosis tapes, and everything else you try cannot replace a complete medical check-up. There are organizations that will help those in financial need, to get medical help. Bottom line...you need that clean bill of health from an MD. No other way around it.

#354387 - 01/10/10 11:46 AM
shawneric

I agree 100 percent here. Even having a good doctor pateint relationship has been shown to help.

This is majorally important and there are ways to see someone.

--------------------

#354388 - 01/10/10 11:52 AM

Unregistered

thank you for your help. There is so many things with my ibs right now,such as alot of dietary changes I'm making adding more foods now and trying new recipes,plus acacia. I'ts a week or 2 before my monthly.I strongly agree figuring everything out and doing everything right and getting the diet and food stuff for my personal needs down to a t,I will be alot better.

will u please answere about the Kolanticon Gel ? also should I get plain benefiber powder or the one with calcium and potatssium,don't know if it makes d worse?

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 12:00 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1409 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20144

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review