All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
For Syl and Shawneric
      #354222 - 01/07/10 09:51 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

What do you two know about the connection between stimulant laxatives and cathartic colon? I've read taking a stimulant laxative for several years can cause cathartic colon. What if you took them every day for two months?

Also, do you know anything about bentonite clay?

I ask because although I am a proponent of alternative health, there is a company called the American Botanical Pharmacy led by Dr. Schulze that I really question. The website is www.herbdoc.com if you want to look. He has two products called Intestinal Formula #1 and Intestinal Formula #2. IF#1 can be taken DAILY and has senna, cascara sagrada, and aloe - all stimulant laxatives! IF#2 has bentonite clay, which I'm sure I read somewhere can be hazardous to your health.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Syl and Shawneric new
      #354227 - 01/08/10 05:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Cathartic colon is the anatomic and physiologic change in the colon that occurs with chronic use of stimulant laxatives (> 3 times per week for at least 1 year). From the above definition taking a stimulant laxative for two months should not results in a cathartic colon. If in doubt check with your doctor.

Bentonite clay is just that - clay. Bentonite is used in cement, adhesives, ceramic bodies, and cat litter. It contains no nutrients but absorbs water.

IF#1 contains the stimulant laxative senna and aloe which Heather recommends avoiding. IF#2 contains a variety of fibers amongst other things including clay. A simple soluble fiber supplement that does not contain clay might be just as good and soluble fiber supplements are natural and alternative.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#354237 - 01/08/10 09:28 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

what laxatives are you using?

Have you ever had a sitz marker test done? Or pelvic floor testing done.

Also take a look at this site on constipation.

http://www.aboutconstipation.org/

http://www.aboutconstipation.org/site/about-constipation/common-questions-mistaken-beliefs

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#354243 - 01/08/10 10:05 AM
shawneric

FYI

Complex and Hidden Brain in Gut Makes Stomachaches and Butterflies

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/23/science/complex-and-hidden-brain-in-gut-makes-stomachaches-and-butterflies.html

Let the Mind Help Tame an Irritable Bowel

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/health/02brod.html?_r=1

--------------------

#354312 - 01/08/10 05:10 PM
DanaDivine

I am only taking acacia now.

But last year over the summer I took the Intestinal Formula #1 (the stimulant laxatives) every day for two months, and the Intestinal Formula #2 (the stuff with bentonite clay) for a few days with it. I thought I was doing myself a world of good but I guess not. I was having some minor digestive issues going on before I took them (occassional minor constipation, occasional excessive and/or trapped gas)..... then while I took them I felt better for awhile... then I started feeling more and more awful (namely, terribly painful, excessive, and constant gas, and diarrhea) so I quit taking them.

Ever since, I've had this weird incomplete evacuation thing going on, and gas, gas, gas. It's like I just can't completely go back to normal. The most relief I've gotten - and I know we don't see eye to eye on this - is from following a low-carb no-sugar antifungal diet and taking antifungal supplements. But I'm wondering (and WORRYING ) if the Intestinal Formulas, particularly the laxatives, have done permanent harm. My G.I. doesn't think so.....

What do you think, Shawneric?

#354313 - 01/08/10 05:45 PM
shawneric

I personally don't think you harmed your gi system with them although I can't personally say for sure, but behaps altered it some. Your body can get use to relying on them to go and that may take a little while to go back to more normal again.

The sensation of incomplete evacuation is a common symptom of IBS and a symptom that candida infection would NOT cause, which is one reason we don't see eye to eye on this as there are a specific cluster of symptoms to IBS and ones that support the diagnoses of IBS.

However, just like biofeedback traning for the bowel the bowel gets use to things and even times you go and you might have knocked it out of balance and possible and I say possibly made the IBS act up more then it was before.

There is a famous IBS doctor Named Dr Michael Gershon who wrote the book the second brain. He was mentioning a DR working in the army with people who had bowel wounds. The Dr left and the new doctor was surprized to learn all of them had to go to the bathroom all at once at 10 am. They had all been trained to go then.

The colon in IBS contracts abnormally along its length and this traps gas and causes abnormal gas transit, instead of it coming out normally.

Gas in IBS is a hard symptom to treat. helping the colon move along helps, even relaxation can help this, so the bowel muscle contractions are not so strong so to speak.

The sensation of incomplete evacuation in IBS is because the nerves there are sensitive and send signals to the brain, even when there is very little or no feces in the rectum. This is in part neuorlogical signaling between the two, that is how your co0nciously aware you have to go.

are you taking any probiotics?

Because of the candida issue, are you doing anything else in that regard, taking anything or trying to kill anything?

That may or may not be imortant on the gas aspect.

Have you ever had a colonoscopy done?

Have you ever had pelvic floor testing done?

--------------------

#354329 - 01/09/10 09:51 AM

Unregistered

I thought it didn't have to only be a feeling of incomplete evacuation,but can actually be incomplete evacuation and lots of trips to the bathroom? Shanweric would you please answere my other posts u haven't answered yet? I know you are busy,but also I know it's easy to miss posts.

#354330 - 01/09/10 10:05 AM
DanaDivine

Well, that makes sense. The laxatives made me go twice or more every morning. Now I sometimes feel awful if I go just once, or even twice. Is it possible my bowel can over time be re-trained to just go once in the morning and feel fine? Maybe the acacia will help with this goal by making the stool bulkier? I've only been taking it for a week so far, first 1/4 tsp twice a day, now 1/2 tsp twice a day. I can't always take it on an empty stomach though.. I hope that won't make it any less effective.

As far as candida, and other possible parasites, I take black walnut hull, wormwood, and cloves once a week, which don't seem to have any adverse effect on me, a probiotic called Three-Lac, and Oxygen Elements, which is supposed to help cells get more oxygen. (I'm not sure about that last one, I want to research it more.)

As far as other supplements go I take: Philip's Colon Health, which is just 3 probiotic strains, no inulin or FOS or anything like that; fennel; okra pepsin, which is supposed to help protein digestion; and Catalyst-U, which are digestive enyzmes in a "soothing" herbal base blend of licorice, marshmallow, gentian, lavendar, chamomile, slippery elm, ginger, and calendula. After what I've read, though, I doubt the enzymes are much help.

I haven't had a colonscopy or pelvic floor testing.

#354331 - 01/09/10 10:11 AM
shawneric

"In many cases, the sensation that stool is stuck in the rectum is based in reality. People suffering from chronic constipation often do not completely evacuate hardened stool. However, in other instances, such as in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, a sensation of incomplete evacuation may occur even when there is no stool left in the rectum. In such people, an abnormally sensitive rectum may falsely give the impression of incomplete evacuation.

Other causes of this uncomfortable sensation may stem from obstructions in the rectum or anus. Sometimes hemorrhoids can grow large enough to block the free flow of stool. Such hemorrhoids are sometimes found only in the rectum and thus not be visible at the anus. Although hemorrhoids typically will also cause pain as they attain large sizes, this is not always the case."

The symptom you describe should be evaluated by a physician. An anal and rectal exam must be done. It is also likely that you will be referred for a proctosigmoidoscopy. This test, done by a gastroenterologist using a flexible scope, allows for complete visualization of the lower colon and rectum to fully evaluate the potential problem.

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/stool-feels-stuck.html

again in IBS the sensory nerves are not functioning properly. " in patients with irritable bowel syndrome, a sensation of incomplete evacuation may occur even when there is no stool left in the rectum. In such people, an abnormally sensitive rectum may falsely give the impression of incomplete evacuation."

This is a pretty common IBS symptom. More so in D IBS andD/C IBS, but even in consipation predominate IBS and when there is stool in the rectum. You might not feel your fully evacuating or have to keep going,even when not much comes out.

Aperson what thread?

--------------------

#354334 - 01/09/10 10:27 AM

Unregistered

yes it is like alot doesn't come out but sometimes a large stool does but a little gets stuck. I often have to put my finger in and push.

"don't have any of those symptoms,maybe though malabsortion? or perhaps it was because I ate less than an hour before bedtime? would u say blackberries are well tolerated? I only eat them in a smoothie with a banana or I boiled them into syrup,while they didn't melt or disinegrate,I spread it on top a ibs safe panacke best I could."

here is the email I wrote to heather's staff "SOmething is upsetting my ibs so bad. lots of gas,spams and bloat. I really believe it is heather's new england clam chowder recipe. I am finding pieces and chunks of potatoes in my stool. SHould I only eat mashed potatoes? maybe heather should look at this email?"

I really think something in the clam chowder is bad for me,because anytime I have stinky gas or feel just more terrible than usual,something I ate was bad. THe stool smelled more bad than usual and only the stool with the clam chowder recipe I'm passing smells. Ignore the eating bedfore bed question days later even though I quit eating before bed,same problem.

"I got really bloated at work and felt like my body was pulling and straining. I felt I needed to sit down so bad,but just had to suffer through my work shift.all the huge "balls" of gas and all the crazy gas poping all over so so uncomfortable and I felt a little naseated then a little later nasty acid came into my mouth."

"

did u get my other emails? could u finish answering the one u said u would finish later? especially the part I mention my right eye is watering and crying before I needed to go to the bathroom. I wonder if my gas will eventually get better? I know its trapped gas but all I have to do is lay down and push,I use my deodarant cap or my cellphone and push on each side under my rib cage and realse explosions of gas,sometimes I do realease a ton without pushing but not often and pushing and releasing gas is the only releif I get,I feel I huge ball of gas and push and it just explodes out of me. sometimes I wake after a few hours of sleep and can't sleep until I release more gas. I often release a ton of gas when I wake up in the morning,and sometimes wake up from sleep with tons. I don't get huge like some people mention how their stomach looks flat then later they look like a couch potato or pregnant and have ppl ask if they are prego. I do not have a flat stomach because of bloating and it sticks out more than I'd like because if I didn't have ibs it would be pretty flat. Mayb it's just mostly distended because of spasms? perhaps when I get stable I can get rid of all my bloating and bulgy stomach?

I think a water filter is a good idea all that chlorine and stuff they put in the water ca't be good for ibs. I already have the water filter picked out after looking on amazon.com but it will have to wait until I get tax return money. "

Edited by aperson (01/09/10 10:37 AM)

shawneric..this also brings up.. new
      #354336 - 01/09/10 11:01 AM

Unregistered

ok my dad and our family friend absolutly refuse to not let me see a doctor,which they just told me I'm young and beutiful and don't need to keep sitting wasting my life away feeling this way.

I have absolutly no money,I already have a $300 dollar hospital bill I can't pay because I had my yearly woman appointment(only so they would refil my birth control pills) I pay my bc out of my own pocket. I have no insurance and cannot afford it.

They just won't believe me that I was starting to do good then something really set me back.My mom said "you say every food upsets you" I over do tend to over exagerate to them like walking like I'm cramping,and whine and cry,while it is really badn and uncomfortable I still exxagerate to my parents,probly so they are easier on me. I don't know why I do that. I swear all I do is complain and whine to them. It's one of my resolutions to stop that and say I'm doing ok or act like it so everyone stops worrying so bad and yells and is going to force me to a doctor.

Another thing..THe doctors In this town are so darn retarded I'm afraid they may do some kind of damage to me or just waste my time and money with their prescriptions that just make me worse anyway. I've heard so many terrible stories with doctors in this town,even with my own mom. ONe girl's grandma was having a heart attack and they told her to wait in the waiting room and she died. One girl kept bringing her newborn to the ER and they just told her it's acid reflux and kept sending her home. ONe day her baby turned grey and almost died because of pnemonia and she called up her personal doctor who forced them to take it seriously. My mom had terrible belly or pelvic pain for years until she stoped taking the hormone pills they gave her and she told them that and they told her "oh that's not what it was"

Edited by aperson (01/09/10 11:02 AM)

#354337 - 01/09/10 11:13 AM
shawneric

The food might have upset you, but you can't also blame IBS symptoms acting up on foods, they contribute to flaes, but LOTs of things can contribute to flares, hormones, sleep, moods, all kinds of things. Even the weather.

One thing here Aperson, the symptoms cause anxiety, anxiety causes more symptoms. This is the IBS vicious cycle.

Do you think you have high anxiety?

Do you find foods not broken down often in your stools?

"especially the part I mention my right eye is watering and crying before I needed to go to the bathroom."

I can't tell ypu personally why that is happening. I can tell you less then a year ago, when I eat my nose runs some and I asked my doctor and there was some weird condition that causes it. I am not relly worried about it and it comes and goes. He told me some women he had every time she clean her ears with a cutip she vomitied. Ask your doctor about this and see what they say.

Lying on your left side can help relive gas and there are massage techniques for this you can try and a positition to get into you can try to help relive gas. IBS can flare for a while and then settle for a while, wax and wane and it sounds like you in a bad cycle at the moment, but hopefully it will pass soon. There are a lot of variables to IBS, our moods, hormones, what and how often we eat, the fight or flight responce and others.

--------------------

#354338 - 01/09/10 11:22 AM

Unregistered

you've never had your eyes water when you had a strong urge to go? Well both times I had the clam chowder I had problems.

No I do not find alot of food not broken down. I've seen some things like carrots. I don't know,let me watch and see I can't really remember. I will start keeping a food diary starting tommorow. I think I get a little anxiety,I mostly jsut sit and relax,drink tea and eat and I'm in the toilet a lot. I'm only in there for about 2 minuts to maybe 5 at a time. I will start paying more attention to any anxiety and write down what caused it and everything.

I've tryed all the layiing down and diffrent poses. I get alot of crazy loud noises and feelings of things moving..but The only real relief I have gotten is pushin under each side of my rib cage and otehr areas to get gas relief.

#354339 - 01/09/10 11:27 AM
shawneric

Try to go to the bathroom as much as you can at certain times of the day. This should also resolve somewhat on its own.

First on the oxygen issue. Giving cells moreoxygen is how cells die to begin with, they use oxygen for sure, no question, but its oxygen that eventually is why we die and cells age. I personally wouldn't do that, you can get your oxygen levels checked at a doctor very easily.

Parasites are found in 0 to 2% of IBSers, but parisites are not the cause of IBS. Pathogens/parasites cause specific symptoms. IBS causes symptoms parasites don't cause. This also depends on if you have pets, live near the tropics, cleanliness and water. I am a chef and now a lot about food bourne parasites as well as you to help work with a vet and some about animal parasites.

There is also a "real" stool test that can show if there is inflammation in the digestive tract. Its also important here, that inflammation cannot be a diagnostic marker for IBS, because it doesn't always cause pain. But this is a simple stool test that gi doctors can do.

So you know also, candida, helps fight pathogens in the gut, killing it can open you up to other organisms. That may contribute to more gas.

"black walnut hull, wormwood, and cloves"

Your taking these for what reason?

If your taking them to kill gut organsism then that could be your altering your gut bacteria and causing more gas somehow. It might be better to take JUST probiotics that crowd out bad bacteria.

Most enzymes are a waste of money.

You should perhaps get the colonoscopy and the pelvic floor testing done.

Did a regular gi diagnose you with IBS? If so how long ago?

--------------------

Re: shawneric..this also brings up.. new
      #354340 - 01/09/10 11:35 AM
shawneric

I think it would be good to see a doctor and at leaset have blood and stool work done.

You will always here bad doctor stories usally over good ones. There are good and bad doctors out there.

Is it a city you live in? Some areas have free IBS esting and trials, not just meds, but all kinds and you can also quite after they test you if you need too. This is why we need real healthcare reform in the country, but that is another issue.

Can you family help you see a doctor.

keep the diary and track foods and anxiety. I can tell your anxiety is kindof high. There are lots of easy ways to try to help with that aspect.

Your "exagerating" your symptoms to them is not uncommon in IBS either so you know. Its not a good thing, but many IBSers do it. That is something to work on, because your exagerating them reinforces them in your own mind as well.

--------------------

#354341 - 01/09/10 11:48 AM

Unregistered

No, a very intelligent guy I know said that this state is known for the worst doctors..I live in north dakota..I will post my town in an email..THis town is not very big. I have had blood work done. It was normal. All the terrible stories in this town, is true. I also heard every doctor and the hospital is under lawsuit here. SO many complaits about the doctors in the hospital here aren't througouh enough or they keep pushing pills. As my mom has found out this is true. They had her on 12 unnecessary pills at once,she felt better after she was off them. She has found out many times first hand you get the run around so bad here. Also,well I could ask her the specific's,but one time she was like ok this doesn't make sense to get refered to this doctor because he knows nothingn about this and found out later she was refferd because it was one of their "kickbacks" and they make money for sendng ppl to that reference.

I can barly make it to a 4pm haircut appointment so I can only make an appointment in this town on one of my days off work at MAYBE 3 or 4pm..most likely would have to cancel the 3pm..unless my ibs gets better with diet and no NO NO foods. I won't even consider going until I have my tax return money,something to lean on,and I will be very well prepared for my appointment I will write downn all my symptoms all my supplements/even bring a post about canida if they say I need to get tested for that,all the possible run arounds or un necessary costs. IF i was to write a list such as pelvic floor exam,and the others u mentioned can't gurantee their going to do this or take me seriously. I don't want appointment after apointmetn to get all this done either

I need to take a break from the boards today I'm very stressed now and was almost in tears writing the post about my dad and friend refusing to not let me see a doctor or I'm beutiful and they refuse to let me sit and waste my life away. I almost cried.

#354342 - 01/09/10 12:54 PM
shawneric

aperson, take a break and try to think of other nice things.

I will contact some people and see what I can find out.

No one should tell you not to see a doctor.

Don't stress right now about apponitments and all that, that is called antisipatory anxiety, fear before things actually happen.

Anticipatory Anxiety

http://panicdisorder.about.com/od/symptoms/a/anticianxiety.htm

Hang in there and keep the faith, but today try to relax take it easy and do things you really enjoy.

--------------------

no they said I had to new
      #354343 - 01/09/10 12:57 PM

Unregistered

said I must they refuse to not let me not go..I emailed u will read your replies later..1.5 hour until I get ready for work and im just terrible.

Re: no they said I had to new
      #354344 - 01/09/10 01:00 PM
shawneric

got it, just try to relax and feel better.

You want to find an internal medicince doctor and I will ask abosut some there.

Try to focus on good thoughts and get your mind off all this and I hope your day gets better.

I will help you out as much as I can.

--------------------

Re: no they said I had to new
      #354346 - 01/09/10 01:29 PM

Unregistered

who will you ask? u can find it online...can u ask other ibs experts if they reccomend someone from this town?

only 1 internal doctor in this town,will send u the link to him in email.

Edited by aperson (01/09/10 01:37 PM)

#354354 - 01/09/10 05:24 PM
DanaDivine

To be honest I'm afraid of getting the colonoscopy. Last time I took Milk of Magnesia (a month or so ago) it didn't work very well... I had "the runs" a few times but it definitely did not feel like I got emptied out enough. So I'm afraid the laxatives I'd have to take the night before the colonscopy wouldn't work as well as they should on me either. It seems like I'd be abusing my poor bowel even more on top of the two months of stimulant laxatives back in the summer.

How is a pelvic floor test done?

I take the black walnut hull, wormwood, and cloves for parasites. I grew up with cats, so it seemed like a good idea to de-parasitize myself, and sure enough, after my first round of taking these, I definitely saw, without a doubt, things in the toilet that could be nothing other than parasites. It was horrifying. I still see some here and there, which means I am still killing parasites.

Both my regular doctor and the G.I. say I have IBS. The only tests they're going off of are blood tests and an ultrasound on my liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.

By the way... I work in a circuit board factory, which means I am exposed to lead fumes from soldering 40 hrs/ week. Thoughts on this?

Dannadivine/shawneric new
      #354367 - 01/09/10 09:30 PM

Unregistered

Dannadivine I really wish you well. I am working hard on getting better too.

shawneric, Maybe I should do the parasite thing? I grew up having cats/kittens all lthe time. I thinking of taking the Kolanticon Gel http://www.mastersdirect.com/product/0077362?source=pl

shawneric,do you think that would be good for me to take? Oh and I really believe all my "balls" of gas and all the crazy uncomfortable poping and Me feling so bloating and feeling like my body is straining and I really feel I need to sit down,I know it's Incomplete evacuation and all my body trying to empty or get that piece out. For example many times I am trying to leave for work but feel a stool there and just out of reach where I can't pull it out,so then I lay down and release gas and such but still cant get it out until I've wen to bed and get up in the morning. I mean I push and strain but trying to relax and breath right at the same time and it just won't come out but its right there..

"but LOTs of things can contribute to flares, hormones, sleep, moods, all kinds of things. Even the weather.

One thing here Aperson, the symptoms cause anxiety, anxiety causes more symptoms. This is the IBS vicious cycle."

Not only that it is a vicious cyle of,I don't know what the specific word is?? lol but I will explain.

One example is I get told I'm too beutiful and too young to have these ibs problems and they hate to see me waste my life away. I can't disagree with any of that,but I don't go around acting hot or go around thinking it. It's like I don't really care how I look,but kinda do. I guess it's flattering getting told you are sexy,attractive,or bluntly nice blank,but don't really care about it. Like I just shower and get haircuts when I really need to. I can't remember the last time I put any makeup on and I like to highlight my eyes with eyeliner or some lipgloss,ect. I'm never in jeans I'm always around the house with ugly pajamas on. I can't remember the last time I shaved my legs or took care of my unibrow problem. I just feel so bad and run down I don't even worry about those things. I mean yea I would like to dress up and do my hair and makeup and at the same time care less though. Like I could care less about how I'm just in pajamas everytime my bf sees me. It's so comfortable for my ibs and It's become a chore to put on jeans or do my makeup. Heck I'm often late for work stuck on the toilet and rush out the door without brushing my teeth. Please don't think "poor little maria" I just don't like it. I am really going to try harder to get better. I've already started. Last 2 days tons of temptations right in front of my face and I didnt even take one bite.

question about fibers. Fibercon is really good. I heard someone mention benefiber powder success...COuld I try takeing fibercon,benefiber powder and acacia,balancing it out throughout the day? there is one plain benefiber and one plain but with calcium and potatsiom or something,would that cause d?
http://www.benefiber.com/products/benefiberPowdersPlusCalcium.shtml

forgive me if something in this post is wrong like spelling errors or anything,hope its all clear I am tired but in a flare and almost time for bed.

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 08:36 AM)

Re: Dannadivine/shawneric new
      #354374 - 01/10/10 10:29 AM
DanaDivine

Aperson, thank you. We'll both find our way back to normality, I'm sure. It's a challenging journey, but it makes us so much stronger.

I've been struggling with incomplete evacuation just like you for months and months. Regardless of the cause or causes, I think a fiber supplement is our best answer right now. Do you have Heather's IBS book called The First Year? There's a section in there that makes a lot of sense about how acacia (or other soluble fiber supplements) helps your colon grab onto and completely evacuate stool. I've been trying acacia for about a week now, very slowly, just a 1/4 tsp twice a day for awhile, and now 1/2 tsp twice a day, and already I am noticing even more improvement. I have had a couple days I knew I didn't empty myself properly, but it didn't make me miserable like it usually does, and I've had some mornings where I do feel properly empty.

I know where you're coming from when you talk about not caring to put makeup on, etc, believe me! But I've found that sometimes, when I'm not feeling good, if I keep persistently acting like I'm okay, and keep telling myself I will be okay and start feeling better soon, and put makeup on and take pride in the way I look, it does help.
Keep telling yourself you are on the right track... stay positive and optimistic... it helps.

#354377 - 01/10/10 11:04 AM
shawneric

You shouldn't be afraid of the colonoscopy and the bowel prep will work. They also knock you out so you don't feel anything. Your gut flora will go back to normal as well. Some people feel better after having one done, a few have some issues for a while and it goes back to normal.

This can be an important test to have done and a lot can be ruled out by it that can be really important.

Did you see stringy kinds of things?

"Hookworms, tapeworms, roundworms and whip worms are some of the common worm-type cat parasites"

"The human body can harbor many types of intestinal worms. Some are relatively harmless, while others cause considerable discomfort and illness. Depending on the type of worm, the symptoms can range from no symptoms or mild itching, diarrhea and vomiting to extreme abdominal pain, intestinal bleeding or serious effects on other body organs.The primary intestinal worms which cause detrimental effects in humans are: pin worms, hookworms, strongyloides, tapeworms, toxocara, trichinella and whip worms."

http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_5063423_types-intestinal-worms-humans.html

The symptoms of parasites differ from the specific cluster of symptoms of IBS, like the feeling of incomplete evacuation for one and its important to NOT self diangose these and get the right treatments for the ones you have and some of these can get really seriously like heartworms, among others.

They also have pills just to get rid of parasites in humans effectively.

These would also cause "red Flag" symptoms to an IBS diagnoses. Some are also infectious and you could be infecting others, even more reason to get properly diagnosed about what ones you might have.

With some infections you can develop anemia.

IBS however is not cause by parasites. So these would be another issue on top of IBS.

So you weren't diagnosed with them from a doctor? I really suggest you do that as there are very effective short term treatments.

I personally think your upsetting the gi tract and causing more gas by doing what your doing with some of those supplements.

Pelvic floor testing, there are different tests.

Anal Manometry
The evaluation of the strength of the muscles which control your bowel movements. The test is performed by placing a small tube the size of a drinking straw into the rectum. Pressure monitors inside the tube transmit the muscle impulses to a graph similar to an electrocardiogram. It is a painless procedure which takes 10 minutes to perform.

Anal Ultrasound
An examination using high frequency sound waves to create images of tissue layers beneath the surface of the anal canal. A smooth probe the size of a finger is placed in the anus. This test is used to map out anal fistulas before surgery, and to look for lesions, tears, or scarring in the sphincter muscles. It is a safe, painless procedure and no radiation is used.

Rectal Ultrasound
an examination using high frequency sound waves to create images of tissue layer beneath the surface of the rectum. A probe is put into the rectum through the anal opening. A small amount of fluid is put into the tip of the probe so that the surface of the probe is touching the inside of the rectum. This allows for better visualization of the tissue. It is a safe painless procedure and no radiation is used.

EMG
EMG is a test to determine if the nerves that supply your sphincter muscle are intact and that all your muscles relax and contract as they should. These tests are performed by measuring the electrical activity with a small sponge in the anus, or by stimulating the nerve with a small electrode. There is minimal discomfort associated with this test.

Cine Defecography
A test of the motion of the pelvic floor, the muscles which control a bowel movement, and the motion of the anus and rectum during a bowel movement. A small amount of thickening barium is placed in the rectum while a video recording is made as you expel the barium. Contrast may also be placed in the vagina of female patients to better define movement of the rectum toward the vagina.

Triple Contrast Cine Defecography
Looks at the motion of the small intestine during bowel movements. You will have to drink a small glass of barium 90 minutes before the test. The test is then conducted the same as a cine defecography.

Peritoneography
Peritoneography is a more advanced test for patients who have pelvic floor problems which can-not be fully diagnosed with the usual tests. These patients may have had previous surgery for a pelvic floor problem. It combines a cine defecography with the placement of a special fluid in your abdomen. An area on your abdomen is injected with a numbing agent (Lidocaine). A small needle is then inserted into your abdomen to inject the contrast. A cine defecography is then performed.

http://www.pelvicfloorcenter.org/Anorectal.asp

There is no exact test for IBS, its based the cluistering of symptoms and if they use the rome criteria, 98 percent accurate. If both your gi and regular doctor think you have IBS, its most likely IBS.

"By the way... I work in a circuit board factory, which means I am exposed to lead fumes from soldering 40 hrs/ week. Thoughts on this?"

Not a good thing. Don't they give you respirator or something to protect you from the fumes?

What are your IBS symptoms exactly?

--------------------

#354379 - 01/10/10 11:17 AM
shawneric

Aperson, if you think you have a parasites go to a doctor and have them do a stool test. Some would also be found in blood work. They have specific anit-parasite pills that work effectively and quickly.

Were working on an internal medicince doctor for you to go see, they are a little better usally then primary care ones for IBS.

IN IBS testing , 0-2% had parasites on top of having IBS.
They don't cause IBS.

Its important to work on personal issues and will get to that soon also, they are very important.

I have had this since ten from post infectious IBS and am almost 50 now. You can get it when your young.

You should start all fibers at low doeses and some fibers don't help all IBSers and can created more gas and pain. They can also help some people. The acacia is something to ask Heather or others about, as I don't personally know much about that one.

It can take sometimes up to 8 weeks for your body to adjust to fibers, some a lot sooner and some it just bothers people.

Aperson, for you the biggest issue at the moment is to get you into see a good doctor to work with you.

--------------------

#354381 - 01/10/10 11:24 AM

Unregistered

NO I don't think I have parasites,she mentioned cats and parasits,and i've had cats my whole life.

No offense,but I really don't think I'm going to the doctor since I haven't given the EFI a good try or even the hypnosis tapes and I"d say my stress can be a problem right now because of unstability.

Really sorry but I have no money and bills I can't even pay right now,and once I do get them paid I need to save what little I can. My dad yelled at me to get insurance. Well I already have a hard time affording the $100 dollars I pay at the pharmacy every month. I buy food,heather's products,fibercon

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 11:27 AM)

#354384 - 01/10/10 11:35 AM
shawneric

"But I've found that sometimes, when I'm not feeling good, if I keep persistently acting like I'm okay, and keep telling myself I will be okay and start feeling better soon, and put makeup on and take pride in the way I look, it does help.
Keep telling yourself you are on the right track... stay positive and optimistic... it helps."

Good advice, the brain plays a really important role in IBS symptoms and management, more so then the majority of IBSers realize.

--------------------

#354385 - 01/10/10 11:41 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sorry, aperson, you need a doctor visit first and foremost. That is just the bottom line. The EFI diet, the hypnosis tapes, and everything else you try cannot replace a complete medical check-up. There are organizations that will help those in financial need, to get medical help. Bottom line...you need that clean bill of health from an MD. No other way around it.

#354387 - 01/10/10 11:46 AM
shawneric

I agree 100 percent here. Even having a good doctor pateint relationship has been shown to help.

This is majorally important and there are ways to see someone.

--------------------

#354388 - 01/10/10 11:52 AM

Unregistered

thank you for your help. There is so many things with my ibs right now,such as alot of dietary changes I'm making adding more foods now and trying new recipes,plus acacia. I'ts a week or 2 before my monthly.I strongly agree figuring everything out and doing everything right and getting the diet and food stuff for my personal needs down to a t,I will be alot better.

will u please answere about the Kolanticon Gel ? also should I get plain benefiber powder or the one with calcium and potatssium,don't know if it makes d worse?

Edited by aperson (01/10/10 12:00 PM)

#354389 - 01/10/10 12:34 PM
shawneric

Some people have used calcium supplements to help d. Caltrate plus.

--------------------

#354390 - 01/10/10 12:36 PM

Unregistered

WEll not actual d,just sometimes mushy that gets stuck or almost d or not solid enough stool. what do u think of the benefiber powder or the k gel stuff?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 559 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19948

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review