All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Candida
      #353950 - 01/04/10 10:09 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Does anyone out there have experience with or looked into the possibility of having Candida?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candida new
      #353951 - 01/04/10 10:13 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Yes. I'm currently taking measures against it. It's only been about a month, but I've noticed more improvement than anything else has given me yet.

#353953 - 01/04/10 11:14 PM
PMartin

That was quick...thanks.

Can I ask what "measures"? I see that the diet suggested for (combating) candida has some similarities to the EFI diet; reducing/eliminating fatty foods, processed foods, dairy, caffeine, alcohol etc. as well as using supplements like probiotic acidophillus, soluble fiber and enteric-coated essential oils but there also seems to be some differences being vegetables, claiming that the vegetables that inhibit the growth of candida are: onions, garlic, ginger root, cabbage, broccoli, turnips and kale. Raw onions and garlic are very good natural anti-fungals.

The focus seems to be on eliminating processed refined sugars and bleached flour as it (Candida) thrives on carbohydrates, preserved refined foods and mold. Also foods that contain yeast and gluten.

A good candida diet will avoid yeast products and fermented foods; vinegar, wine, baker's and brewer's yeast. Tempeh and tamari are potential troublemakers. Avoid dairy products except (Live cultured yogurt which helps to replenish your intestinal bacteria). Smoked, dried, pickled or cured foods, mushrooms, nut butter (Except almonds and almond butter), fruit juices, dried or candied fruit and coffee, black tea, caffeine, carbonated drinks and alcohol should be eliminated.
Candida

Do you take a grapefruit seed extract?

An important benefit of grapefruit seed extract is that it is very helpful in alkalizing the blood. Alkalizing the body fluids (raising pH) is one of the single most important health regeneration benefits available as disease cannot survive in an alkaline environment.

I'm not sure what to think as like I mentioned, I'm doing a lot of these things already-proper diet including little fat intake, no dairy, no caffeine and so on as well as taking probiotics. I am guilty however of eating foods with yeast and gluten.

--------------------

PMartin new
      #353962 - 01/05/10 07:33 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi Patrick, this Candida page that you link to, what is the website? Thanks

#353966 - 01/05/10 08:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Candida naturally live in all of us – in the digestive tract, mouth, and throat. It only becomes a problem when there is overgrowth. Male Candida usually occurs as a skin rash on arms, face, underarms, groin, or the genital region. The sore irritated rash is itchy with tiny blisters. The CDC has a good write-up on Candida.

After more than 25 years of speculation about the role of Candida in IBS no connection has been found by IBS researchers. Here is an excerpt from a letter to the editor in the Journal of Postgraduate Medicine The role of Candida albicans in the pathogenesis of food-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome

Quote:

Middleton and colleagues' are to be congratulated in demonstrating that there is no conclusive link between overgrowth of intestinal Candida albicans and the symptomatology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Sadly, I suspect that the popular health magazines and alternative practitioners who persuade patients that these symptoms are directly linked to the pseudoscience of 'leaky bowels' and Candida toxins' are unlikely to alter their views.

Here is link to an abstract of the study the author was referring to in the letter. The connection between IBS and Candida was dispensed with about 15 years ago.

The role of Candida overgrowth in men is even more tenuous

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353967 - 01/05/10 08:43 AM
DanaDivine

To be honest, I don't like posting on here my own methods to regain my health. It always seemed to get jumped on. You can private message me if you want.

#353968 - 01/05/10 08:46 AM

Unregistered

you can't private message on here. I noticed you deleted me off your myspace and now I can't even message you on myspace because I'm not on your friend list. I have no problem with you. Did I say something wrong? Would you like me to email your email adress and not your myspace?

#353969 - 01/05/10 08:52 AM
DanaDivine

No private messaging? Well, if you want to know what I'm doing for candida PMartin, I can email you.

aperson, please don't take this personally, but I just feel it's better for me not to talk to you on a regular basis. I wish you the best of luck.

#353971 - 01/05/10 08:55 AM

Unregistered

I kinda do take it personally. you probly just don't want to say why you don't like me. Sounds like you don't want to talk.

do you mind me asking,did you think you had a candida problem,if so did you feel a certain way or anything?

would you share how good or bad your ibs is right now or what supplements you are taking? if you wish to discuss this outside the boards my email is m_nice16@hotmail.com

Edited by aperson (01/05/10 08:58 AM)

#353973 - 01/05/10 09:10 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I had joined this board a while ago because I had terrible IBS-C with major bloating and other weird symptoms that I knew somehow were all related.(toe nail fungus, headaches, fatigue, bladder irritation, constipation, eczema, sinus problems, ear problems, dry eyes and mouth....my list was long)

After much reading and research on my own, I finally figured out the root of my problem was Candidiasis (Candida).

The cause of the Candida overgrowth is a body filled with toxins which were probably gotten from a variety of sourses. Antibiotics, x-rays, flouride, pain killers etc.... you get the idea. My immune system was running poorly because of insufficient nutrition (probably from childhood), too much processed foods etc... So the Candida began to overgrow.

Despite any reserch theories that may be presented on this thread, I can tell you first hand that IBS and Candida are certainly related. Without a doublt.

Since I have been healing myself with a candida diet (low carb and high in GOOD fats plus ways of helping my body to detoxify itself) and getting my immune system back to par, I have noticed sooooo much improvement. My IBS constipation problem is GONE, my toe nail fungus has been HEALED, and all the other symptoms are slowly fading away.

It's amazing really. It may take a while, but I have found my cure.
I encourage anyone lurking on this board to investigate the possibility that a candida overgrowth is causing thier pain and suffering.

Please feel free to email me at infoiv@innvisions.com if you would like to ask me any questions. I am so happy to share what I have found.

Best wishes to you ALL!

Carolyn

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Carolyn new
      #353977 - 01/05/10 09:42 AM
Gerikat

Carolyn, I so appreciate your post. I too, have many of the issues you mention, but could never understand the connection. Most times it is not about the research as you state, but about personal experience. I so agree with that. So as not to tie up this board and thread with debate, as inevitably will happen, I will email you at your personal email address for more information on your journey. I always appreciate these kinds of posts, that relate personal experience vs research. Thanks so much!

Dana- ditto- nt new
      #353978 - 01/05/10 09:44 AM
Gerikat

#353980 - 01/05/10 10:00 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

PMartin

Candida overgrowth syndrome, DOES NOT EXIST!!!

There are real candida conditions, but not candida overgrowth syndrome.

20 some years ago, a Dr Crook-gotta love that name for him, came up with the idea. However it has NOT been found in ONE person. He never personally did research on it either it was an Idea he had, but wanted others to find it.

People think they have it, but some of the reasons for supposedy treating candida mainly diet, helps IBS regardless. Sugar with just creates more gas and low carb diet, which they use in IBS anyway.

People will argue about this toe and nail, but they won't be able to show you any research or that one person has it or actually been diagnosed by a REAL doctor or GI doctor with it.

The promotion of it, do to a misunderstanding about it all, is a real problem to IBS awareness and the real reasons for IBS symptoms. They blame everything on candida overgrowth syndrome.

Dr Fungus, is part of the NIH and NIDDK information.

Think about this, 20 or more years and its never been found once, meanwhile a ton of IBS research is ignored about IBS. IBS is diagnosed when they can't find the problem and is a specific condition to the large colon. No colonoscopy has ever seen candida ovvergrowth, nor miscroscopic investigations of the bowel. Candida is a normal bowel organisim and HELPS FIGHT INFECTIONS.

Candida is a multimillion dollar business though through alternative websites, books ect..

IBS is not caused by candida. There has been a lot of major IBS research done in the last ten years.

FYI

Why is there candida in the bowel in the first place in humans?

""Candida albicans, and other strains of Candida are yeast that normally inhabits our digestive system: the mouth, throat, intestines and genitourinary tract. Candida is a normal part of the bowel flora (the organisms that naturally live inside our intestines, and are not parasitic). It has many functions inside our digestive tract, one of them to recognize and destroy harmful bacteria. Without Candida albicans in our intestines we would be defenseless against many pathogen bacteria. Healthy person can have a millions of Candida albicans."

"About chronic candidiasis
An overgrowth in the gastrointestinal tract of the usually benign yeast (or fungus) Candida albicans has been suggested as the origin of a complex medical syndrome called chronic candidiasis, or yeast syndrome.1 2

Purported symptoms of chronic candidiasis are fatigue, allergies, immune system malfunction, depression, chemical sensitivities, and digestive disturbances.3 4 Conventional medical authorities do acknowledge the existence of a chronic Candida infection that affects the whole body and is sometimes called “chronic disseminated candidiasis.“5 However, this universally accepted disease is both uncommon, and decidedly more narrow in scope, than the so-called Yeast Syndromeâ€"a condition believed by some to be quite common, particularly in people with a history of long-term antibiotic use. The term “chronic candidiasis” as used in this article refers to the as yet unproven Yeast Syndrome."

Real Candidiasis which is a "Systemic Candidiasis are "systemic infections"

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic76.htm

IBS is NOT an infectious disease.

I have talked to quite a few lab people who do colonoscopies about this and they have never seen "yeast syndrome" but have seen "disseminated candidiasis" in aids patients and cancer patients where the immune system was highly compormised.

Postgrad Med J. 1992 Jun;68(800):453-4. Related Articles, Links

Comment in:
Postgrad Med J. 1993 Jan;69(807):80.

The role of faecal Candida albicans in the pathogenesis of food-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome.

Middleton SJ, Coley A, Hunter JO.

Department of Gastroenterology, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK.

Candida albicans was sought in stool samples from 38 patients with irritable bowel syndrome and 20 healthy controls. In only three patients with irritable bowel syndrome was C. albicans discovered and these patients had either recently received antibiotics or the stool sample had been delayed more than 24 hours in transit. C. albicans was isolated from none of the control stool samples. We conclude that C. albicans is not involved in the aetiology of the irritable bowel syndrome.
PMID: 1437926

This was from 1993 and there is really no major research per se on it since then.

"The Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy has issued this paper on Allergy testing and treatments."

ASCIA Position Statement:
Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders
Dr Raymond J. Mullins on behalf of the Education Committee, ASCIA October 2004

"INAPPROPRIATE TESTING

Chronic Candidiasis
Use: Treatment of a variety of ailments including allergy, irritable bowel, food allergy and intolerance, autoimmunity, arthritis and psychological conditions.
Method: This approach is based on the concept that imbalance of gut flora results in overgrowth of Candida albicans within the gut. Release of fungal toxins results in a variety of symptoms including fatigue, arthritis, irritable bowel, food intolerance as well as psychological symptoms. These toxins weaken the immune system, predisposing to further symptoms from ingested foods and toxins. Treatment centres on dietary supplements, administration of antifungal drugs such as nystatin, and restriction of "Candida friendly" foods such as those containing sugars, yeast or molds.
Evidence: Candida is a normal gut organism, and immune responses (antibodies, cell mediated responses) to this organism are both expected and observed in healthy controls as well as those allegedly suffering from this condition. There is no evidence of overgrowth of Candida or altered immune responses to this organism in patients complaining of this syndrome. There is neither a scientific rationale nor published evidence that elimination of Candida with diets or anti-fungal therapy is useful for management."

http://www.allergy.org.au/pospapers/unorthodox.htm

A person can still get thrush or other issues, even though its ot connected to IBS.

For one remember IBS is a functional disorder the way things work, not an infection. Even though they have now found abnormalities in IBSers.

A lot of work has been done and is being done in regards to gut flora and bacteria and IBS.

No single pathogen has been found, in fact multiple ones have been found in Post Infectious IBS. But then those pathogens are resolved before someone develops "classic IBS."

Killing the normal candida in the gut could possibly open you up to more pathogens.

Unless a persons immune system is highly compromised such as aids or cancer conditions, then they can see candida overgrowth with the naked eye and even a colonoscopy.

Candida infection the medical community recognizes is really a blood stream infection when it gets to that point.

Invasive Candidiasis which if left unchecked can kill you.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo...invasive%20cand

The gi docs don't see it, the allergy docs don't see it and really importantly the fungus doctors don't see it.

PMartin

read this and click on the link for candida on this page on the left from fungus experts.

http://www.doctorfungus.org/

If only all the money spent on candida overgrowth syndrome by people supposedy suffering with it, which doesn't exist was spent on more real IBS research we might be able to find the cure/cures faster.

again its been rule out as a cause of IBS.

No real doctors looking for it have found it and even the fungus doctors say it doesn't exist.

over 20 year of trying to find it and they haven't found it at all in one person.

I am sorry if people feel differently and self diagnose or have an alternative doctor diagnose it, but its important to IBSers and REAL research and information.

Again because this is important. IBS is a functional disorder, NOT an infectious disease.

I have done a ton of work and research on this years ago and talked to many of the IBS exoperts as well as tech's that do colonoscopies and bowel investigations as well.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#353981 - 01/05/10 10:02 AM
shawneric

PS sorry about the long post, but its very important I believe to get accurate IBS information to IBSers from legitimate sources and recognized and trusted researchers actually studying the condition.

--------------------

#353982 - 01/05/10 10:10 AM
shawneric

one more aspect here, IBS researchers are using powerful electron microscopes and microscopes looking at individual cells in IBSers in the gut wall. They would see this by now, but have not seen it once. Which is why a long time ago they quite researching candida over growth syndrome, not candida itself, just that supposed syndrome.

--------------------

#353983 - 01/05/10 10:14 AM

Unregistered

there have been so many posts about candida It's all so confusing. So when it comes down to it,I don't need to worry about having too much canida? I don't need to consider that in getting my symptoms under control? If that is the case,yay one less thing to think/worry about.

#353985 - 01/05/10 10:18 AM
shawneric

Yes, aperson, there is NO candida over growth syndrome to begin with let alone the cause of IBS. They don't quite yet no the exact cause of IBS, but a lot of research done recently is helping to find biological markers. Already they have found structural abnormalities in IBS.

--------------------

#353986 - 01/05/10 10:22 AM
shawneric

FYI

IBS and Non-GI Functional Disorders
The Association of IBS with Other Non-gastrointestinal Functional Disorders

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/about-ibs/other-disorders/ibs-non-gi-disorders

IBS - Beyond the Bowel: The Meaning of Co-Existing Medical ...

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/ibs_beyond_the_bowel.pdf

--------------------

#353988 - 01/05/10 10:30 AM

Unregistered

biological markers? structural abnormalities? do you think with this info there could be a cure? Would you please answere my other post about "does this go away"?

#353995 - 01/05/10 11:29 AM
CarolynC

By the way, I just want to add that I do not use any so called "Candida" products out there. (I would NEVER promote anything like that)

I am using a natural healing method:

Basically I eat a healthy diet that is low in carbs (sugars) because they will feed the candida, but high in good fats like coconut oil. The body needs good fats to help it detoxify. I encourage you all to Google health benefits of coconut oil. It's amazing. (coconut oil is highly antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial)

I take good vitamins and cod liver oil every day to help rebuild my immune system,

and I eliminate as many toxins as possible. Becaue that's what made the candia grow wild in the first place. (especially antibiotics)

That's it!
All I can say is that this works for me. (Candida or not)
you can't dispute that and also the number of people getting better. I am certainly not the only one.

How about you? are you free of IBS???

respectfully,
Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Re: Carolyn new
      #353997 - 01/05/10 11:32 AM
CarolynC

I was not trying to start a big debate. I was only trying to help and to share what I have learned.

I look forward to hearing form you

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

#353999 - 01/05/10 11:38 AM
shawneric

They are working very hard on it all. IBS is an extremly complex condition. There are some 28 functional bowel disorders as well. IBS is the most studied of these disorders.

IBS however, IS NOT an infectious disease. It can be caused by an enteric infection, hence post infectious IBS, but after the infection goes away, there are cellualr changes in the gut of mast cells and ec cells which are very important to digestion, and pain from the gut to the brain signiling and the symptoms.

The Colon is hypersensitve to all stimlous and why foods, hormones and stress and anxiety can set if off.

A lot of work is being done and has been done in regards to bacteria itself and IBS.

Bacteria are germs that are normally in the gut. They are often referred to as the gut flora. Most bacteria are in the large intestine (colon). Some bacteria can cause infection; these are called pathogens. Other bacteria can be helpful. These helpful (or "good") bacteria are called probiotics. Medicines that destroy bacteria are called antibiotics.

During IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to interview a leading researcher, Eamonn Quigley, MD, on the topics of probiotics and antibiotics. Dr. Quigley is Professor of Medicine and Human Physiology at University College, Cork (National University of Ireland). Brooks Cash, MD adds comments about issues of safety and effectiveness of antibiotics.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/gutflora

Video Corner: Inflammation

In some people with IBS a subtle inflammation persists for some time after recovery from an initial infection and obvious inflammation. This can cause increased sensation in the intestines and changes in gut motility consistent with symptoms of IBS.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/inflammation

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

--------------------

#354002 - 01/05/10 11:44 AM
shawneric

Who diagnosed you with candida?

What tests were preformed?

Its well known that the diet supposedly used for candida, help IBS for other reasons, not because the person has candida. But because they feel better on a diet, confuses people into thinking it was candida and not reducing sugars and carbs help IBS because of bacteria themselves causing gas and gas pressure on an alredy sensitive colon, which functions abnormally to begin with.

Candida also can't cause some of the symptoms of IBS, its not physically possible.

Candida is a yeast also an not a bacteria to begin with and is also in the gut in the first place to help fight pathogens.

To promote or say IBS has anything to do with candida AN INFECTION, hurts all IBSers.

Understanding why the diet itself might help IBS helps IBSers when they don't really have candida to begin with.

--------------------

#354004 - 01/05/10 11:46 AM
shawneric

This has nothing to do with you personally and please don't take it that way and its important to have the debate and for people to learn and understand some aspects of IBS.

Is also important people don't self diagnose themselves, which is the leading cause of misdiagnoses.

--------------------

#354014 - 01/05/10 12:33 PM
CarolynC

I was finally diagnosed at a clinic in Maine called Women to Women. They did a stool test and blood tests. The stool tests determined I had more than the normal number of yeast in my stool. The blood tests revealed I had a very low vitamin D level. My immune system was not working well at all. I had allergy testing done in Connecticut who concluded that I had no allergies (even though my body was acting like I did) and that I had a unusually low number in one of the immune tests.

While I agree there is no definitive test for candidiasis, all of my results were put together and the conclusion was a "no brainer" that I have too much yeast.(fungus)
My body was very unbalanced and needed help in regaining health.

When I first started with coconut oil therapy I got a very hefty herxheimer reaction, which to me, was the last key to diagnose my illness. People with normal amounts of yeast in their system do not have any herx reaction.

I believe excess toxins (such as antibiotics) are the root cause of this. And I also believe with all of my heart that unhealthy foods and processed foods are making things worse for us. Our bodies simply cannot detoxify as much as we give it every day.
The candida over-growth is produced by the body itself, in an attempt to "clean it up". But it can only do so much without help. There is much, much, much more, but that is the nut shell.

Candidiasis is a real illness and many, many reputable scientists, doctors, studies, authors would agree. I really do not want to argue or debate this further.

My personal prayer is that someone who needs to see my post will do so and benefit from it.

Just like I did from someone else who posted here about a year and a half ago. mentioning her candida treatment. She was helped...and now I am too.

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Edited by CarolynC (01/05/10 01:56 PM)

Thank you Carolyn new
      #354018 - 01/05/10 01:02 PM
Gerikat

Never fear, the people who need to see your posts, will. Thanks so much for responding to me so quickly via email with a wealth of information. I can't wait until you can send me the yoga postures. I appreciate all the links and info and will be in touch on how and what I intend to try. I hope others will email you and at least listen to what you have to offer.

No need to argue of debate. The people that need it will find it, and the others can let it be. It is really very simple.

I have read much from functional medicine docs, that follow the same train of thought. I feel it is the new medicine, along with other alternative care. Thanks again!

#354019 - 01/05/10 01:08 PM
Gerikat

I know you weren't Carolyn. You were just offering up info people may take or leave...sharing your experience.

DanaDivine re: Candida new
      #354020 - 01/05/10 01:16 PM
PMartin

I'm not sure why PM's are disabled but please feel free to email me as I would like to here about what you're doing for Candida...
holdenandpatman@yahoo.ca

--------------------

#354022 - 01/05/10 01:29 PM
PMartin

I'm always happy for someone to hear that they've made progress if not completely resolved their IBS (or whatever IBS like problem they were suffering from).

If you prefer, I will e-mail you but I'm particularly interested and curious when you say...

...plus ways of helping my body to detoxify itself and getting my immune system back to par

...what are these ways?

--------------------

#354024 - 01/05/10 01:49 PM
CarolynC

Ahhh, helping your body detoxify itself is one of the best things you can do.
The things I find to be most helpful are: Dry skin brushing, epsom salt baths, nasal deep breathing.
light exercise (like yoga or walking).

It also helps to get rid of extra toxins in your home: such as skin care,shampoo etc..., deodorant, household cleaners, bleach,toothpaste (flouride).....
make sure you check the ingresdients for safety.

And also your diet and supplements can help you detoxify.
here is a really good article:
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/detox.php

Hope this helps.

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

#354026 - 01/05/10 02:42 PM
shawneric

CarolynC, With all due respect, this isn't about you personally at all.

Its about figuring it out for everyone invovled, especially since this is an IBS forum. You may say its real and say lots of doctors ect., but that is NOT the case, lots use it to make money.

Its funny there is no test for a proliferation of an OVERGROWTH of candida in the gi tract that can't even be seen with a microscope?

Nobody finds that odd?

Again this is a problem, people call their IBS candida overgrowth syndrome.

Its NOT and that message needs to be very clear here.

You don't want people with IBS to be misdiagnosed do you?

I am glad you feel better, seriously but this information is important to IBSers themselves.

IBS is diagnosed in the absence of organic conditions!!!!

For a reason in fact many reasons and its a condition of the large colon or sigmoind colon. Not a blood stream infection or an infection at all.

Both the USA and Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy and the leading fungus doctors in the world have never found this condition in 20 YEARS. They have looked hard for it, that you might have a altered bacterial gut flora is not Candida overgrowth syndrome. There is no amount the gi tract has millions, so its how the "Doc" personally interprets the tests. It would also be in your blood work.

Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders

Advice needs to be "evidence based"
When considering testing and treatment, advice needs to be "evidence based". In other words, there needs to be evidence that a particular test or treatment is reliable, based on studies of other patients with the same condition. Reliable tests need to be able to distinguish between those with illness and those without. Therapeutic trials are designed to show that any improvement seen is due to the treatment, and not just due to chance or coincidence.

Inappropriate Testing

Tests for 'dysbiosis'
Use: Diagnosis of food sensitivity / allergy and other non-specific symptoms

Method: Some laboratories offer pathology tests including stool bacterial/chemical analysis, urine metabolite profiles, intestinal permeability assays, trace metal analysis, Candida antibody / cellular proliferation assays and blood / urine fatty acid and amino acid profiles for assessment of "dysbiosis". The concept of 'dysbiosis' states that there is a balance of 'good' versus 'bad' bacteria in the bowel of each person, that imbalances result in disease, and that this can be assessed by various metabolic and bacteriological measurements. Such tests are often used by unorthodox practitioners as a rationale to guide (a) megadose nutritional supplementation; (b) 'probiotic' and/or antibiotic therapy; or (c) dietary modifications. These treatments are promoted as a means of restoring a 'healthy' balance of bowel flora.

Evidence: No evidence

Comment: There is no sound evidence to support the notion of 'dysbiosis' as a cause of allergic diseases or related clinical conditions. The clinical validity of the tests involved or treatments advocated has not been demonstrated.

Unorthodox Treatments

Chronic Candidiasis
Use: Treatment of a variety of ailments including allergy, irritable bowel, food allergy and intolerance, autoimmunity, arthritis and psychological conditions.

Method: This approach is based on the concept that imbalance of gut flora results in overgrowth of Candida albicans within the gut. Release of fungal toxins results in a variety of symptoms including fatigue, arthritis, irritable bowel, food intolerance as well as psychological symptoms. These toxins weaken the immune system, predisposing to further symptoms from ingested foods and toxins. Treatment centres on dietary supplements, administration of antifungal drugs such as nystatin, and restriction of "Candida friendly" foods such as those containing sugars, yeast or molds.

Evidence: Level II

Comment: Candida is a normal gut organism, and immune responses (antibodies, cell mediated responses) to this organism are both expected and observed in healthy controls as well as those allegedly suffering from this condition. There is no evidence of overgrowth of Candida or altered immune responses to this organism in patients complaining of this syndrome. There is neither a scientific rationale nor published evidence that elimination of Candida with diets or anti-fungal therapy is useful for management.

http://www.allergy.org.au/content/view/322/271/

Why is there candida in the bowel in the first place in humans?

""Candida albicans, and other strains of Candida are yeast that normally inhabits our digestive system: the mouth, throat, intestines and genitourinary tract. Candida is a normal part of the bowel flora (the organisms that naturally live inside our intestines, and are not parasitic). It has many functions inside our digestive tract, one of them to recognize and destroy harmful bacteria. Without Candida albicans in our intestines we would be defenseless against many pathogen bacteria. Healthy person can have millions of Candida albicans."

"About chronic candidiasis
An overgrowth in the gastrointestinal tract of the usually benign yeast (or fungus) Candida albicans has been suggested as the origin of a complex medical syndrome called chronic candidiasis, or yeast syndrome.1 2

Purported symptoms of chronic candidiasis are fatigue, allergies, immune system malfunction, depression, chemical sensitivities, and digestive disturbances.3 4 Conventional medical authorities do acknowledge the existence of a chronic Candida infection that affects the whole body and is sometimes called chronic disseminated candidiasis.5 However, this universally accepted disease is both uncommon, and decidedly more narrow in scope, than the so-called Yeast Syndrome"a condition believed by some to be quite common, particularly in people with a history of long-term antibiotic use. The term chronic candidiasis as used in this article refers to the as yet unproven Yeast Syndrome."

Real Candidiasis which is a "Systemic Candidiasis are "systemic infections"

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic76.htm

IBS is NOT an infectious disease.

Dr. Andrew Weil, bestselling author of Natural Health, Natural Medecine has to say about candidia...

Candidiasis

Candida albicans is a kind of yeast that normally lives in the gastrointestinal tract and vagina without causing any problems. Under certain circumstances it can reproduce wildly, causing symptomatic infections of the mouth (thrush) and vagina as well as intestinal upsets. A common cause of yeast overgrowth is antibiotic therapy, which can kill off the "friendly" bacteria that compete with candida for food and keep it in check. If you have to take broad-spectrum antibiotics, it is a good idea to take supplemental acidophilus; to reduce the possibility of yeast infections. Candidiasis also tends to occur in people with suppressed immunity, such as patients with cancer and AIDS and those on long-term treatment with steroids and other immunosuppressive drugs.

In recent years Candida albicans has received much notoriety in certain circles as a major cause of illness. Some holistic practitioners diagnose everyone coming through the door as having systemic yeast infections, and health-food stores make a great deal of money on supplements that claim to fight yeast. I have read books and pamphlets that give the impression that everyone who has ever taken an antibiotic or steroid now is infected with candida, and that undiagnosed yeast infections are responsible for fatigue, depression, anxiety, mood swings, behavioral problems in children, allergic reactivity, skin eruptions, and most chronic digestive problems. I have had patients who believed yeast was growing in their blood, lungs, and other vital organs and begged me to prescribe strong drugs to kill it. They shunned beer, wine, bread, vinegar, and even mushrooms in the belief that any food associated with yeast or fungus would contribute to their disease.

Most of these ideas are unsound. Diagnoses of systemic candidiasis usually have no scientific basis, and most treatments people take for it are a waste of time and money. If you had yeast growing in your blood or vital organs, you would be in an intensive care unit, critically ill. Since candida is a normal inhabitant of the human body, no objective test can prove it to be the cause of general symptoms. Culturing it from the throat of a depressed patient does not mean that yeast infection is the cause of the depression.

Most of the treatments prescribed for this faddish disease are harmless except to the pocketbook. One that is not is the prescription drug ketoconazole (Nizoral). It can be toxic to the liver and should not be used except on the advice of an infectious disease specialist. The more commonly used drug nystatin (Mycostatin) is usually safe because it is not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.

Women who have recurrent vaginal yeast infections should see the entry on that subject. Others who worry about yeast in their system would do well to eat raw garlic every day; since it is a very effective antifungal agent. Take a course of nystatin if you wish (it must be prescribed by a doctor), and try to cut way down on sugar in the diet. Pau d'arco, an herbal remedy made from the bark of a South American jungle tree (species of Tabebuia, also known as palo de arco, lapacho, and taheebo) is often recommended for candidiasis, but I do not prescribe it. Much of the bark that comes into this country is contaminated with pesticides.

Candidiasis is a wonderful example of a fashionable disease. It appeals to our fears of being vulnerable to foreign invaders and satisfies a need to blame our vague and general symptoms on a specific causative agent. ten years from now it may be out of fashion. In the meantime, if you have used antibiotics and steroids for a long time and have clear symptoms and signs of yeast infection, by all means follow the recommendations above and see what happens. If after a reasonable trial, say four to six weeks, you have not experienced dramatic improvement, consider another diagnosis.

The recomended anti-candida diet is VERY similar to the specific carbohydrate diets that are recomended for both IBS and IBD by the alternative therapy community.

Real Candidiasis which is "Systemic Candidiasis are "systemic infections"

Systemic Candidiasis is rare and usally found in highly compromised immune systems such as AIDS and Cancer and can be life threatening.

From the Dr Fungus website. An exppert on all fungi

Overview

It has been proposed that the asymptomatic colonization with Candida might be associated with a variety of symptoms and cause a "Candida Hypersensitivity Syndrome" [592] This concept was popularized by William Crook, MD in his book The Yeast Connection [485]. Previously, C.O. Truss, a physician from Birmingham, Alabama had proposed the existence of such a malady [2232, 2234]. Other names that have been given to this presumed condition include:
Candida-Related Complex
Polysystemic Candidiasis
Chronic Candidiasis (This term should not be confused with Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis)
The syndrome is theoretically due to an overgrowth of Candida albicans in the gastrointestinal tract or in association with mucous membranes. The syndrome is said to occur in connection with some or all of the following risk factors:
Use of broad spectrum antibiotics
Use of oral contraceptives
Ingestion of diets rich in yeast-containing foods or readily utilizable carbohydrates.
Pregnancy
Tremendous attention by public media and health magazines has created a large body of uncritical publications on this topic [395, 480, 484, 2024, 2231, 2232, 2233, 2234, 2425]. There are no rigorous data to support these concepts. The whole idea is based on historical controls and no working definition has been ever assessed [218]. Although brief communications by the proponents have appeared in major journals [477, 478, 479, 481, 482, 483, 486], the actual studies performed by these physicians do not appear to have been subjected to peer review. The American Academy of Allergy and Immunology published a position paper in 1986 stating that the concept was "speculative and unproven" [82]. Later, a carefully designed study on the topic by Dismukes et al. demonstrated that the condition does not appear to be reproducible or verifiable [592].

Clinical Manifestations

There is a broad range of symptoms that have been associated with this syndrome. They can be classified in the following groups, although it is not clear how many or which of them are required to make a diagnosis nor is there scientific data linking these multiple clinical manifestations with Candida albicans overgrowth [218, 260]:
Vaginal. Recurrent episodes of Candida vaginitis associated with the classic symptoms of pruritus, burning and abnormal discharge.
Gastrointestinal. Heartburn, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.
Respiratory allergy. Rhinitis, sneezing and/or wheezing.
Central nervous system. Anxiety, depression, memory deficits and/or loss of ability to concentrate.
Menstrual abnormalities. Severe premenstrual tension and/or menstrual irregularities.
Other Systemic Symptoms. Fatigue, headache and/or irritability.
Specific Diagnostic Strategies

The proponents of the existence of this syndrome base their diagnosis on the clinical picture previously discussed [484, 485, 2425]. There is no laboratory test that allows a clear identification of patients affected with this presumed disorder. Actually, "no clear definition of the disease has ever been advanced" [218]. Considering these facts, it is impossible to set criteria to establish and identify patients affected with this supposed disease.

From a practical viewpoint, we recommend that all women with recurrent vaginitis be carefully evaluated for possible causative factors. Patients with more general complaints should receive a general physical examination. A CBC, general serum chemistries (including liver enzymes), and thyroid studies should be checked to eliminate the possibility of an anemia, subclinical hepatitis, and so forth. Finally, Renfro et al. reported that approximately two-thirds of patients with chronic fatigue had an underlying psychiatric diagnosis [1871].

Treatment

Proponents of this syndrome have recommended such therapies as:
Long-term therapy with antifungal agents at increasing doses until resolution of symptoms. Oral and usually vaginal nystatin are recommended. Other azoles, such as ketoconazole have been also used [260].
Diet modification including restriction of sugar and other simple carbohydrates [481].
Candida allergy shots [218].
Avoidance of mouldy environments [218].
The value of these therapies is unknown. Dismukes et al. conducted a prospective double-blind study to assess the impact of antifungal therapy on this condition [592]. This study compared oral and vaginal nystatin with placebo in 42 premenopausal women with the presumed diagnosis of chronic candidiasis. The remarkable finding of this study was that nystatin did not "reduce systemic or psychological symptoms more than placebo did "[592]. One of the major proponents of the syndrome, Doctor William Crook criticized the study by saying that nystatin is no more than one of the components of the "comprehensive and multimodal therapy" required for this condition [481]. The same author agreed on the urgent need for more scientific studies on the topic. However, a recently done and detailed Medline search on the topic yielded only the data that we have discussed.

Chronic Candidiasis FAQ

We often receive inquiries about the diagnosis and treatment of chronic candidiasis. Here is our FAQ list:
How can I decide if I have chronic candidiasis? Answer: We don't know. The syndrome has never been clearly defined and a workable diagnostic approach has never been put forth. While we have no doubt that there are individuals who suffer from some (or all) of the symptoms listed above, we are not aware of any testing procedure that can link these symptoms to a candidal infection.

My doctor cultured Candida from my stool. What does this mean? Answer: Candida spp. are frequent asymptomatic colonizers of the skin and bowel. Such cultures are of little significance unless you are critically ill in an ICU or are receiving cancer chemotherapy.

I took _______ (name of drug) or I altered my diet to include (or exclude) _______ (name of food) and now I feel better. Doesn't that mean I have (had) chronic candidiasis? Answer: The most common form of this question is "I took fluconazole and now I feel better--does this mean I had chronic candidiasis?" While we're glad you feel better, response to fluconazole is not a diagnostic tool. The various antifungal drugs have effects that go beyond the fungi (for example, fluconazole interacts with the enzyme systems of people, not just of fungi) and many diseases have a natural course of progression and regression. Similar concepts apply to changes in diet. If something makes you feel better, we're delighted for you. We just don't know what it means.

I still really think I might have chronic candidiasis. What should I do? Answer: At the risk of being repetitive, we'll say it again: We don't know of any useful approaches to diagnosing or treating chronic candidiasis. You should see a competent physician and be checked for the things that we do know how to diagnose (see discussion above). If these tests are negative, then we have nothing too specific to offer other than sympathy. We are not denying your symptoms. Rather, we honestly don't know what to do about them. If you can identify something that makes you feel better, then we'll cheer for you!

Is "yeast" the same as Candida? Answer: The term "yeast" is relatively imprecise. Medical mycologists use this term to describe fungi that reproduce predominantly by budding or fission. There are many genera of fungi that fit in this category. Beer and bread makers use the term to refer to Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Doctors sometimes use the term "yeast infection" to refer to Candida spp. and its diseases. For example, yeast vaginitis is the colloquial phrase for candidal vaginitis.

This isn't to attack any person, this is about accurate diagnoses we all want to have personally and accurate information on IBS, a functional disorder asbsent organic disease. Is also about IBS awareness and promoting misinformation on IBS is a major problem to IBS doctors, researchers and pulic awreness people trying to get accurate information to the public in the first place about IBS, while everyone has there own IDEAS of what causes it and promotes them and not the actual research.

There is a bigger picture then just us as individuals out there that needs to be addressed as well as our own individual health and IBS management. Its also important for people with different conditions to be accurately diagnosed and treated, depending on what condition or disease they really are diagnosed with and then treated right.

If someone wants to pursue it after they have heard both sides then fine, but it NOT the cause of IBS, nor should it be promoted as IBS.

Thanks for listening and again no bad feelings towards anyone.

--------------------

#354027 - 01/05/10 02:48 PM
shawneric

Just fyi, but recent allergy research shows that dust and stuff in your house helpes you build antibodies to air borne and household alleriges.

They have shown also people on farms are better off with alleriges then those living in clean houses in the cities, because their bodies build up immune responces to pathogens there exposed too.

--------------------

#354030 - 01/05/10 03:37 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

Carolyn- add me to those on your list who've been helped by following an antifungal diet/program. With there being over 400 speciees of fungi pathenogenic to man, it is quite likely that candida had a role in my IBS symptoms....cause/effect. Fungi emit poisons, cross mucous barriers, and can penetrate the nucleus and break DNA strands. Even if my evidence is anecdoctal, I'm glad I decided to experiment with an antifungal program (and got well), even at the balking of my doctors. I didn't need a published study to convince me to experiment with the diet, even though a recent study concludes that a very low carb diet (which, incidently, starves fungus)provides adequate relief, and improves abdominal pain, stool habits, and quality of life in IBS-D.

It's all semantics, if you ask me...candida overgrowth "syndrome" or not, fungus has been implicated in many syndromes and diseases. Just call me a FUPO head (Fungus Until Proven Otherwise). Whatever helps you feel well and get better...go for it! Don't wait for your doctor to come up with the answer, especially if you suspect you may have a fungal condition potentially from from antibiotic use, eating foods with mycotoxins (including wheat/corn/peanuts), being on birth control pills, or being exposed to mold. They just don't learn much about mycology in medical school.

Kim new
      #354032 - 01/05/10 03:45 PM
Gerikat

That is too funny. A FUPO! I have emailed Carolyn and I am going to experiment with this. It certainly can't hurt. I have felt for a long time now, that I am bothered by carbs, especially white, especially breads. So, you never know until you try something.

I had also already read some on the mycotoxins, and we have sooo much darn corn in our diets. If you ask me, docs don't learn much in medical school, except how to give their patients 15 minutes and free drug samples.

#354033 - 01/05/10 03:47 PM
Gerikat

Shawn sorry, but you lost me at hello, or your first link.

#354038 - 01/05/10 04:46 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Questions:

1) If you have IBS-C and B, but no other major annoyances...is it likely you have Candida?
-I have have IBS-C and B and I tested positive for bacterial overgrowth (done with lactulose)...but outside of seasonal allergies and occassional headaches...I don't see the other symptoms.

2) How does one get tested?

3) The Candida diet looks confusing...I mean...if you can not eat much carbs...then what are you supposed to eat to fill up given all the other obstacles?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354040 - 01/05/10 05:01 PM
shawneric

1 no you don't have candida

2. they don't

3. the diet is no sugar and low carb, which is very simlar to IBS diets.

--------------------

#354041 - 01/05/10 05:15 PM
shawneric

Gerikat

Please read my post carefully

--------------------

#354042 - 01/05/10 05:19 PM
Gerikat

Sorry Shawn, I can't. You can be overbearing in your POV, along with TMI. But, thanks for the hypno link. I am currently listening.

#354043 - 01/05/10 05:28 PM
shawneric

Gerikat, I am very passionate to IBSer getting a correct diagnoses. I have nothing to gain here, nor am I trying to hurt anyone, in fact its to really help them and IBS awareness in general. Take the time and read it from the experts on fungus, immunology and allergy. This condition does not exist, its just fasionable as dr weil mentions.

It is not why people with IBS get better on the diet.

NO one has ever found it in 20 years, even under high powered microscopes of the gut.

as my post explains.

--------------------

#354044 - 01/05/10 05:30 PM
kim123

A low carb/no sugar diet is not Heather's IBS diet..or am I wrong?

The antifungal diet I went on allowed me choices of meat/fish/poultry/eggs, most veggies (no corn,mushrooms, potatoes), berries, green apples, organic plain yogurt and Stevia sweetener. More foods were introduced after 2 weeks, for me. It is not a life sentence of eating. It is a period of time to get rid of the toxins/fungus in your body. As Carolyn indicated, often a good telltale sign is if you have a die-off reaction within days of beginning- a Herxheimer response, where you will feel worse before feeling better- flu-like symptoms, aches, pains. fatigue, D, etc. Everyone is different. I also took natural antifungals because diet is often not enough. I took caprylic acid and rotated that with olive leaf extract. Probiotics are also HIGHLY recommended, whether you have gut issues, or not. I feel they are also key to my getting better.

For me, I got well again within 2 weeks. That was the only change I made to my life, so for me it was cause/effect. It was hard at the beginning, but I started feeling so much better, I got a high from keeping on the diet. I now can tolerate foods that would have killed me before, like lettuce, onions, tomatoes. I still monitor what goes into my mouth. I can't tolerate forms of yeast (tummy rumblings, gas and bloating soon follows), which is in a lot of processed foods these days, and too much white processed/cane sugar, and HFCS products don't sit well with me. I eat bread, but non-wheat and yeast-free, which is really not that bad. Again, everyone is different.

#354045 - 01/05/10 05:35 PM
Gerikat

Shawn, I know your passion for helping those with IBS and your caring, concern, and knowledge shows in your posts. I know hurting someone is not your intentions.

However, sometimes people need to find their own way. People may read your posts and take what they will and leave the rest. It is a personal decision. Whether the diet works or not is not the point, but allowing each individual the right to choose.

#354046 - 01/05/10 05:43 PM
shawneric

people don't need to be given false information on IBS.

Its nothing to do with finding their own way, its about an accurate diagnoses to begin with for them to find their way.

Ten years I have been studying IBS in depth with the help of the IFFGD and the UNC, UCLA and researchers all over the world. Everyone would disagree with candida being the cause of anyones IBS.

The diangoses of IBS is made when NO organic disease is present to begin with, that they don't know about candida is false, as they have already ruled it completely out.

If you read why you'll no why, which is why I posted all the information from EXPERTS, not people, who don't know or do research.

This hurts IBS awreness and the condition itself and hence people. While some get better, a lot don't and lose a lot of money and time, that could be directed at IBS management.

There is so much here that is not understood as to why I am posting all the information on it.

People don't even realize how its diagnosed to begin with and why candida can't physically cause the symptoms of IBS.

So I can start calling every gi symptom IBS? Celiac is IBS? IBD conditions are IBS?

NO they are not IBS, its a complex distint entity.

--------------------

#354047 - 01/05/10 06:43 PM
kim123

A thought just came to me...if they still do not know what causes IBS, why do you/we keep calling them "experts"?

#354049 - 01/05/10 06:58 PM
Gerikat

Oh Shawn. I am at a loss for words. Because someone chooses a different path, different diet, different treatment, does not mean it is "misinformation". Carolyn and Kim had success with their approach, whatever you want to call it, and they came here to share and maybe help others. It is up to the individual, to ponder that information or disregard it. Take what you will and leave the rest.

I see you are yelling in spots. No need... we will have to agree to disagree. Conversaton over, let this thread die, now good night.

#354051 - 01/05/10 07:30 PM
shawneric

I have said what I have to say as well. Again I have no stake in this other then information.

Yes it is misinformation to call IBS candida overgrowth syndrome no matter what and has nothing to do with Carolyn and Kim at all. They can choose whatever path they would like too. Its not about them at all. I am happy they feel better.

I think people should know that the condition doesn't even exist and is NOT IBS. But the misinformed promote it as IBS.

Hence why it was a dignoses of exlcusion first, no organic condition could be found, but not anymore. Then you might think doctors don't know about it, but they do know about it very well. Candida is highly researched and by the way serotonin kills it.

Real candida is systemic and an infection and life threatening and IBS is not an infection heance the misinformation and no one dies from IBS itself. IBS does not progress, should not wake you at night and a list of other issues, no one seems to be mentioning.

Very Specific symptoms are required for an IBS diagnoses to begin with absent an organic condition.

IF Expert fungus doctors, expert immunology doctors, allergy experts have never found it in twenty years after looking hard for it, and its already been ruled out in IBS people need to know that as well.

This also takes the focus off of real IBS research and findings, people need to know as well.

Nor are the majority of any effective treatments for IBS helpful because of candida overgrowth syndrome, other then the diet that works for IBS for other reasons.

Sorry you feel the way you do on this, but you have never researched it in depth like I have and the real researcher have, or that others make a ton of money off it. Which if you read what I posted you might realize.

A problem here is the basic IBS education to begin with on IBS.

There choosing their own paths is fine. Other with IBS have choosen that path and been hurt by it and lost money and time and suffered.

--------------------

#354052 - 01/05/10 07:39 PM
shawneric

KIM

what is serotonin? What role does it play in the gi tract and in IBS?

first you don't understand how the condition is diagnosed.

There are experts in gastroenterology, neurogastroenterology, immunology, neuroimmunology and every filed studying IBS. It is super complex, which is why then don't know the EXACT cause yet, but have made a ton of progress.

Video Corner: Causes and TreatmentsA functional GI disorder such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) has very specific symptoms. Over the past 5–10 years we've developed an understanding that many different components contribute to these symptoms. Brain-gut interactions, changes in serotonin signaling, motility, inflammation, gut sensitivity, genetic predispositions, and bacterial flora all can contribute to varying degrees in an individual having this condition. Not only will this help with developing more effective treatments, but better understanding of the factors that underlie symptoms in each individual will enable more reliable treatments that will work earlier on rather than trying hit or miss one after another.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/causes

Video Corner: Gut Flora, Probiotics and Antibiotics
Bacteria are germs that are normally in the gut. They are often referred to as the gut flora. Most bacteria are in the large intestine (colon). Some bacteria can cause infection; these are called pathogens. Other bacteria can be helpful. These helpful (or "good") bacteria are called probiotics. Medicines that destroy bacteria are called antibiotics.

During IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to interview a leading researcher, Eamonn Quigley, MD, on the topics of probiotics and antibiotics. Dr. Quigley is Professor of Medicine and Human Physiology at University College, Cork (National University of Ireland). Brooks Cash, MD adds comments about issues of safety and effectiveness of antibiotics.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/gutflora

Video Corner: Inflammation

In some people with IBS a subtle inflammation persists for some time after recovery from an initial infection and obvious inflammation. This can cause increased sensation in the intestines and changes in gut motility consistent with symptoms of IBS.

Inflammation
Does inflammation have a role in generating IBS symptoms? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/inflammation

Video Corner: Research Advances
From mechanisms at the gut level and the micro flora to the spinal cord and brain our understanding to the functional disorders has grown tremendously over the past 5 years. In these videos Emeran Mayer, MD and Lin Chang, MD, both from UCLA, and Brooks Cash, MD from Bethesda, Maryland explain some of these advances.

On one end new techniques allow us to probe the living human brain to understand its structure, activity, and receptor systems. On the other end we are just beginning to view the universe of our gut micro flora and the cross-talk taking place between it and the brain. Growing understanding of the ways in which many systems within the body interact has implications for various disorders such as pain, irritable bowel syndrome, fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis, gastroparesis, and others. Like a jigsaw puzzle, many pieces are beginning to emerge.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/research

Video Corner: Serotonin

Increasingly our understanding of IBS is that it is a heterogeneous disorder – that is, multiple factors contribute to the well defined symptoms of the disorder. One of these suspected underlying dysfunctions involves serotonin, which is a neurotransmitter or messenger to nerves. Most serotonin in the body is in cells that line the gut where it senses what is going on and through receptors signals nerves that stimulate a response. The serotonin must then be reabsorbed (a process called re-uptake) into cells. This process appears to be disrupted in people with IBS.

Serotonin and SERT
How does serotonin affect gut function? An interview with Gary M. Mawe, PhD, Professor of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT. Dr. Mawe is a basic scientist.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/serotonin

Video Corner: Overcoming Challenges There is growing recognition of the seriousness and the complexity of the functional GI disorders. Yet individuals affected by these disorders still face challenges in finding adequate care. Many physicians remain unprepared to diagnose and treat patients with functional GI disorders. Moreover, the burden of illness resulting from chronic pain or discomfort and other symptoms associated with functional GI disorders remains underappreciated by everyone it seems – except those who experience it, or those who are truly dedicated to finding solutions.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/challenges

Video Corner: Kids and Teens

Many of the digestive disorders seen in adults begin in kids and teens. Providing better treatments early in life would not only help help children and their families, but would also help avoid much pain, suffering and expense later on in life. While we have seen many advances in understanding functional GI and motility disorders in kids and teens, much more remains to be done. Development of improved treatments in pediatrics is a particular challenge.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/kids-and-teens

The Experts Speak
About IFFGD
Learn about IFFGD on video Go »
At IFFGD's 7th International Symposium on Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders in April 2007, we had the opportunity to talk to some of the international experts in functional GI disorders. Our discussions covered some of the most recent developments in this field.

Click the topic titles below to go to the video interviews!

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/

You might want to pay close attension to

Diagnostic advances: Symptoms and the roles of biological markers in IBS

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/causes

--------------------

#354057 - 01/05/10 07:57 PM
PMartin

very interesting...thank-you.

--------------------

Candida vs. IBS new
      #354058 - 01/05/10 08:39 PM
PMartin

I had the same reaction and question myself. Please tell me if I'm misunderstanding the IBS diet but while there are some similarities, sugars and carbs seem to be the biggest difference. Heather's EFI diet promotes and encourages (or states that they are safe) bread and sugar while the Candida diet calls for elimination.

And I want to throw in that this seems to have turned into a debate over what should be classified as or constitutes an IBS diagnoses. We all know that (some? most?) doctors use its ambiguity to their advantage and simply use it to diagnose anyone with any GI issue. Most of us go straight to work looking for answers and our research leads us to the million and one possible causes for our symptoms. Personally, if I could find a way to resolve my issues, that's all I would care about and not what it's called.

--------------------

for Gerikat new
      #354059 - 01/05/10 08:53 PM
PMartin

here are some that I looked at...

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/popularhealthdiets/a/candidadiet.htm
http://www.pureliquidgold.com/candida-diet.htm
http://www.candidasymptoms.net/
http://www.healthyeatingadvisor.com/candida-test.html

I don't know what to think as there are some major differences between what causes and how to treat Candida vs. IBS.

--------------------

Re: Candida (Kim) new
      #354069 - 01/06/10 05:21 AM
CarolynC

Hi Kim!!

So nice to hear from you. I believe it was YOU who pointed me in the right direction to candida a year and a half ago. And I have always wanted to thank you!! I think you gave me the Doug Kaufman website and also Bee Wilder, if I am not mistaken.

All of the information was such an eye opener for me and as you have read, my IBS-C is gone now. I do not have to take ANY supplements or powders of any kind anymore. My body is finally functioning normally and has been for about 4 months.

I am still working to completely cure my Candida problem, (ibs was only one part of it) but am soooo much better than when I was here on the boards before.

I'm glad to hear you are still doing well! I feel confident that we have found our cause of IBS and I hope that others will look into the possibility too.

Thanks so much for speaking up about candida back then.... you have saved my life!

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Re: Candida (additional Info) new
      #354074 - 01/06/10 05:58 AM
CarolynC

One additional thing I want to mention is that you cannot get rid of candida overgrowth by simply killing it off. You can certainly reduce the numbers of candida in your system (and feel better) by consuming natural antifungals like coconut oil, olive oil, butter, eggs.... but it will only come right back if you do not get rid of accumulated toxins in your body and also work hard to get your immune system in better shape. Therefore good nutrition is essential. The correct amounts of vitamin/mineral/omega 3 supplements will also help in getting your body back in proper balance.

It is my personal belief that excess toxins are the root cause of most, perhaps even all IBS sufferers....plus so many other illnesses. especially things like Fibromyalgia, Alzheimer's, MS, arthritis, parkinsonism, cancer....the list goes on and on.
Your body reacts to the excess toxins by doing all it can to clean them out........ it actually creates an overgrowth of Candida to try and clean itself. Which is why you can't really get rid of Candida until you get your body in a healthier state.

Processed foods (anything white) are a big problem with our health. And also the consumption of too much sugar. Including fruits. Certain fruits are just wonderful for their antioxidant qualities (berries, grapefruits).... a healthy person should be careful and eat only a couple servings a day. The problem is that we have made too many hybrid fruits in our desire to have them be large and sweet. These "new" fruits are much higher in fructose than any "wild" fruit.... so thus, much higher sugar. And as we all know... too much sugar causes disease.
If a person suffers from a yeast or fungal infection, any amount of sugar will feed the infection.

I am not trying to discount any other opinions on this board. But I do want to mention that they are just opinions.
Please use your own judgment and intelligence to wade through all of the information on this board, and then make your own personal decision about what is right for you!

In health,
Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

For PMartin new
      #354078 - 01/06/10 06:58 AM
Syl

When looking for information on things like candida it might be best to look at reputable sites like the Mayo Clinic.

The Mayo Clinic has a nice write-up on A nutrition counselor told me a "candida cleanse" diet would cure my fatigue, headaches and weight gain. What conditions does a candida cleanse diet treat?.

Unfortunately, commercial sites that have sell Candida solutions have a vested interest in what they claim about Candida. They tend to unreliable sources of information.

In many instance simply removing foods high in excess fructose as in many Candida diets may significantly reduce IBS symptoms allowing the dieter to assume that the Candida is the problem and not the excess fructose

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

PMartin-thanks!-nt new
      #354079 - 01/06/10 06:59 AM
Gerikat

#354084 - 01/06/10 07:45 AM
CarolynC

well pointed out Kim!!!!!
I agree with you completely.

--------------------
occasional type A

Re: Candida shawneric new
      #354085 - 01/06/10 08:17 AM

Unregistered

do you think they just got better from the detox? perhahaps because anibiotics were used and its good to detox? maybe there were some fungals or too much yeast in their body? do u think thats why she got the herxiheimer effect and felt better? May I get your opinon on these 2 posts? I have some questions about things in them.

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=354014&Forum=All_Forums&Words=13348&Match=Username&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=353950&Search=true#Post354014

"The stool tests determined I had more than the normal number of yeast in my stool." what does this mean?

"
I believe excess toxins (such as antibiotics) are the root cause of this. And I also believe with all of my heart that unhealthy foods and processed foods are making things worse for us. Our bodies simply cannot detoxify as much as we give it every day.
The candida over-growth is produced by the body itself, in an attempt to "clean it up". But it can only do so much without help. There is much, much, much more, but that is the nut shell."

I don't know what to think of all that,but several people on the boards said they felt better,could it just be the detox the cleaning out processed foods and after taking antibiotics in your life?

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=354030&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1
"http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=diet&Number=354030&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1"

maybe antibiotics has something to do with fungus?

Experts new
      #354086 - 01/06/10 08:36 AM
Syl

The neat thing about an 'Expert' unlike 'the blind leading the blind' while they may not yet know 'the cause of IBS' they do known from a considerable amount of experience and research they know about a lot of 'things that do not work for managing IBS'.

--------------------

Carolyn new
      #354109 - 01/06/10 12:25 PM
Gerikat

Yes, Carolyn, I pretty much limit my processed foods. I eat mainly lean protein, fruits, veggies, and some nuts/seeds. I try to eat organic, mostly. I have cut down on the huge amount of carbs I was eating. I am leaning more towards the lean protein and veggies.

Have you ever read any books by Doctor Mark Hyman?

Shawneric new
      #354127 - 01/06/10 01:39 PM
kim123

Shawneric- I'm trying to get a fix on what you are sharing...I really am. It's all about helping ourselves and others get well. Not about being right, at least for me. Perhaps for people who "are" helped by following a particular protocol/diet/program that is "not" determined or supported to be helpful for IBS patients, then maybe they don't have what you qualify as IBS. Perhaps there are many people on the boards here who have been told, or have "self-diagnosed" themselves to have IBS, when realy they don't have it at all, at least according to the definition that experts have given to IBS. If there are, then they may be helped by following an antifungal treatment(which is not costly at all, by the way). And, rightly so, if this is an IBS board, then perhaps this conversation of candida and treatment would best be discussed in the "living room" where non-IBS issues are explored.

If you could clarify something I heard on one of the videos you posted just to make sure I understand it correctly... I heard some of the doctors say that bacterial flora, mucosal inflammation, changes in the mucosal barrier which could allow bacteria through the wall into the gut, gene mutations are things that can play a role in IBS, among other things. Is this recent speculation?

#354128 - 01/06/10 01:40 PM
CarolynC

What books did Dr. Mark Hyman write? I read a lot and may have read something of his along the way.

Good to hear you are cutting out processed stuff.... it does nothing but cause disease.

--------------------
occasional type A

Re: Shawneric new
      #354129 - 01/06/10 01:49 PM
CarolynC

Kim,(sorry to chime in) I just wanted to mention that my doctors diagnosed me with having IBS; probably because they could not find anything wrong. I think this diagnosis happens to a good many people. So IBS has become a term used to explain a very wide variety of unexplainable gut symptoms.

I was obviously misdiagnosed. I bet many people here on the boards have been misdiagnosed as well.

--------------------
occasional type A

#354130 - 01/06/10 01:55 PM
Gerikat

A friend gave me the book, "The UltraMind Solution", which I found to be very interesting. He discusses how what is going on in the body is what affects the mind, and not the other way around. He discusses dementia, altzheimers (sp?), autism, etc. He really dwells on toxins as many of these newer,more informed, functional medicine docs do. He has other books out there, but I haven't gotten to them yet.

Yes, I took processed foods out of my diet years ago, having nothing to do with IBS. I just wanted to feel the best I could.

#354132 - 01/06/10 02:14 PM
CarolynC

Sounds like a book I'd like to read!
I have been reading many articles on dementia, Alzheimer's and autism. They have been getting tremendous success by incorporating coconut oil in the diets.
After only 2 weeks there was measured improvement....after 6 weeks, significant. Now why aren't these studies in the mainstream public eye??? The drug companies do NOT want us to know this stuff.

Here's a website for you:
http://knowthecause.com - it talks all about drug companies and what they don't want us to know.

I believe those conditions are similar to mine as they all revolve around the same thing. Toxins and fungus as the cause.

I just learned a man my husband works with has a son who now has autism. he said he got the illness after getting vaccinated. Isn't that sad!!! They are treating his autism with the same things I am doing to cure my Candida. It is probably the mercury in the vaccine that did the damage. All that stuff is just pure poison to our bodies.
And then we wonder why so many of us end up with stuff like IBS and Candida.

Keep eating smart! It is a great place to start.

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

#354133 - 01/06/10 02:32 PM
Gerikat

Yes, Big Pharma...a nightmare. The outcome of some studies depends on who is funding that study, which, of course, means they have a vested interest in the outcome.

I have read so much about what you speak of. I read Jennie McCarthy's book and about cried. When a layperson takes charge of their health or their family's health, sometimes they can move mountains and create change.

#354136 - 01/06/10 03:49 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

Quote:

Does anyone out there have experience with or looked into the possibility of having Candida?

Wow! I have yet to read through this entire thread but just wanted to share my experience.

I in no way believe Candida causes IBS but i had to test the theories that our out there for the heck of it since i had nothing to lose. I personally would think that any stool test would be able to discover large Candida overgrowth if there were such a thing?

Anyways, I had read or seen something on trying to clear out any Candida in the intestines, etc. So i went with it and purchased some product called Oxycleanse, some sort of oxygen infused cleanser that is supposed to wipe out all the bad bacteria in our system hada, hada. So i gave that a try along with taking Oregano oil and Grapefruit seed extract capsules. Well, long story short it did a whole lot of nothing for me. So clearly Candida or fungas is not the cause of my IBS.

I also tried some product by Primal Defense called Primal Fungus or something along those lines with no success.

I will now attempt to read through this entire thread.

#354137 - 01/06/10 05:12 PM
kim123

Just wondering...did you make any diet changes, if so, what were they and for how long, and for how long did you use the supplements? I never heard of Oxycleanse. Bacteria is not the same as candida. Don't have much faith in all those over-the-counter cleanses that are advertised these days. Oxycleanse sounds like it could make your laundry brighter, however!

#354145 - 01/06/10 08:49 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

Quote:

Just wondering...did you make any diet changes, if so, what were they and for how long, and for how long did you use the supplements? I never heard of Oxycleanse. Bacteria is not the same as candida. Don't have much faith in all those over-the-counter cleanses that are advertised these days. Oxycleanse sounds like it could make your laundry brighter, however!

I never said anything about bacteria.

I have been on the same healthy low carb diet that i have been on for a while and haven't changed anything. Diet does not coinside with or effect my IBS. I have been on all sorts of exclusionary diets etc. and food is definitely not a trigger.

#354151 - 01/07/10 06:13 AM
CarolynC

Oxycleanse will not do a thing for you and will actually make things worse for a person who suffers IBS problems.

Candida overgrowth is a very real illness (unlike what other posters here will tell you) But that is not important here, and I do not necessarily believe that all IBS sufferes Have a Candida overgrowth.

However I DO believe that most if not all IBS is caused by an overload of toxins in our systems. You see, we accumulate these toxins all of our lives from things like vaccinations, flouride treatments, poor water quality, chemical cleaners, dry cleaning, antibiotics, processed foods etc.... the list is very long. Our poor bodies cannot detoxify it all, so we end up getting sick.....sometimes with IBS. IBS-D is actually a sign that your body is trying very hard to detoxify itself.
Rashes and eczema are signs, as well as sinus problems and allergy symptoms and more. All of these are signs your body is trying to detoxify itself. Most IBS sufferes have symptoms more than just IBS. If you take a look at the list shawneric provided in the candida thread, the list of symptoms he gave is what I have described here.

The best way to help your body detox, and therefore heal your illness, is to take measrues to help it do so. Things like building up your immune system with good vitamins and cod liver oil. Coconut oil should be incorporated as I have read many studies that talk about its healing capabilities in the digestive tract. Oil of Oregano has tremendous healing properties as well. The BEST part is that they are natural.

You may or may not have a fungal infection, but I will tell you that fungus is everywhere is our foods.....it is well documented that mycotoxins (fungus) are always in our grain supply and also in corn, peanuts, pistachios, bananas. No amount of processing can get them out.

It is also a well documented theory that cancer is actually fungus.

But anyway, do not take my word for all of this! Please do your own reading and research.

Understanding the root cause of most IBS will result in a cure.

I had very uncomfortable IBS-C when I joine this board a year and half ago....... and now since I have been working to help my body detoxify... through diet and simple therapies like dry skin brushing and epsom salt baths, I no longer suffer with IBS-C. I am still working on curing my candida problem, but can now see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps you,
Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Edited by CarolynC (01/07/10 06:31 AM)

#354152 - 01/07/10 06:15 AM
CarolynC

LOL kim!

--------------------
occasional type A

#354153 - 01/07/10 06:21 AM
Gerikat

Didn't that dude who died, Billy Mays (name?), sell this? For laundry. lol I could see where it would CLEAN out the body.

#354162 - 01/07/10 09:58 AM
shawneric

Kim, yes candida overgrowth syndrome has nothing to do with IBS and I personally think it shouldn't be posted along with IBS. People think IBS is a "catch all diagnoses it is NOT."

"If you could clarify something I heard on one of the videos you posted just to make sure I understand it correctly... I heard some of the doctors say that bacterial flora, mucosal inflammation, changes in the mucosal barrier which could allow bacteria through the wall into the gut, gene mutations are things that can play a role in IBS, among other things. Is this recent speculation?"

No its around five or more years old.

This has to do with people who develop IBS from an enteric infection, food poisoning, both viruses and bacterial infections and the infections resolve and a person is left with and dysregulation between the communication brain and ther gut.

Lots of people are studying bacteria and IBS, no SInGLE pathogen has been found, in fact mulitple ones leading to PI IBS have been found and so far altered gut bacteria may play some roles in contributing to IBS synmptoms, but the only bacteria problem found so far, are low counts of certain ones.

Bacteria in the gut changes all the time from diet and stressors. A person in florida, doesn't have the same as a person in Oregon say, because it helps protect you from pathogens around your own enviromenment and in your own house. Only 30 percent of the 500 species have been culture so far.

Candida is one of the most studied organisms in the gut. I will post something soon on this, but the actual gut-permeablity which is NOT the same as "leaky gut" or Dysbiosis, is for one the way the body absorbs nutrients to begin with.

Mucousal inflammation is MACROSCOPIC of specific cells embedded in the gut wall mainly seen in these IBS Post infectious IBSers. About 30% or more of people develop IBS froma previous gut infection that resides and leaves a person with celluar changes to the gut that are used for gut functioning. Also importantly psychological stressors can activate or reativate the inflammation. Bu this CONTRIBUTES to pain and the symptoms, but does not cause them.

You also need to know and this is very very important. Inflammation cannot be a diagnostic marker in IBS, because it does not always cause pain, which is a must for an IBS diagnoses.

Most pathogens in the gut cause D and really bad ones vomting, the two methods for the body to rid itself of a pathogen.

One of the top expert doctors in Inflammation and post infectious IBS is DR Spiller who has done a ton of work and looks at the gut cells with microscopes or sometimes by dissection of cadavers.

The neurotranmitter serotonin is INVOLVED in this as well. Almost all IBSers if not all show serotonin dyregulation between the gut brain and the brain and back. This is the transmitter that signals pain/discomfort to the brain from the gut. The gut can trigger the brain and the brain can trigger the gut, they are both operational top cause the symptoms.

Approximately 1 in ten patients with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) believe their IBS began with an infectious illness. Prospective studies have shown that 3% to 36% of enteric infections lead to persistent new IBS symptoms; the precise incidence depends on the infecting organism. Whereas viral gastroenteritis seems to have only short-term effects, bacterial enteritis and protozoan and helminth infections are followed by prolonged postinfective IBS (PI-IBS). Risk factors for developing PI-IBS include, in order of importance, prolonged duration of initial illness, toxicity of infecting bacterial strain, smoking, mucosal markers of inflammation, female gender, depression, hypochondriasis, and adverse life events in the preceding 3 months. Age older than 60 years might protect against PI-IBS, whereas treatment with antibiotics has been associated with increased risk. The mechanisms that cause PI-IBS are unknown but could include residual inflammation or persistent changes in mucosal immunocytes, enterochromaffin and mast cells, enteric nerves, and the gastrointestinal microbiota. Adverse psychological factors contribute to persistent low-grade inflammation. The prognosis for patients with PI-IBS is somewhat better than for those with unselected IBS, but PI-IBS can still take years to resolve. There are no specific treatments for PI-IBS; these should be tailored to the predominant bowel disturbance, which is most frequently diarrhea.

Serotonin and GI clinical disorders.
Spiller R.

Wolfson Digestive Diseases Centre, C Floor South Block, University Hospital, Clifton Boulevard, Nottingham, NG7 2UH, United Kingdom. robin.spiller@nottingham.ac.uk

Serotonin is widely distributed throughout the gut within both the enteric nerves and enterochromaffin (EC) cells. EC cells are located in the gut mucosa with maximal numbers in the duodenum and rectum where they act as signal transducers, responding to pressure and luminal substances both bacterial and dietary. Activation leads to serotonin release which acts on a range of receptors on mucosal afferent and myenteric interneurones to initiate secretomotor reflexes. These cause nausea and vomiting as well as intestinal secretion, propulsion and if pronounced, diarrhoea. Inflammation in animal models acts via T lymphocytes to increase EC cell numbers and mucosal serotonin (5-HT) content while inflammatory cytokines decrease serotonin transporter (SERT) function. Inflammation due to coeliac disease and following gastrointestinal infection increases mucosal 5-HT availability by a combination of increased EC cells and depressed SERT. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) developing after gastrointestinal infection and IBS with diarrhoea is associated with excess 5-HT. The associated diarrhoeal symptoms respond well to 5-HT(3) receptor antagonists. These drugs also inhibit the nausea and vomiting occurring in patients undergoing chemotherapy which cause a marked increase in release of 5-HT as well as other mediators. Other conditions including IBS-C and constipation may have inadequate 5-HT release and benefit from both 5-HT(3) and 5-HT(4) receptor agonists.

--------------------

Kim new
      #354163 - 01/07/10 10:03 AM
Gerikat

Yes, Kim, I agree, it's not about "being right", but being helpful. Thanks for your informative posts.

Re: Candida (additional Info) new
      #354164 - 01/07/10 10:04 AM
shawneric

Toxins and processed foods are not the CAUSE of IBS, you haven't studied this condition AT ALL.

"Since I have suffered for thirty eight of IBS I wonder what role foods play in IBS. So I asked Dr Douglas Drossman at the UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility disorders and here was his response. This is not a substitute for seeking medical advise from your doctor on any specific conditions you may have, but for educational purposes only.

Dr. Drossman is a Co-director of the Center and Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry at UNC-CH. He established a program of research in functional gastrointestinal disorders at UNC more than 15 years ago and has published more than 250 books, articles, and abstracts relating to epidemiology, psychosocial and quality of life assessment, design of treatment trials, and outcomes research in gastrointestinal disorders.

Dr Drossman's comments on foods for IBS Health.

Shawn,
To say that people with IBS may get symptoms from food intolerances is an acceptable possibility, since the gut will over react to stressors of all types including food (high fat or large volumes of food in particular). Furthermore, there can be specific intolerances. So if you have a lactose intolerance for example, it can exacerbate, or even mimic IBS. Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse.

However, it is important to separate factors that worsen IBS (e.g., foods as above, stress, hormonal changes, etc.) from the cause or pathophysiology of IBS. Just like stress doesn't cause IBS, (though it can make it worse), foods must be understood as aggravating rather than etiological in nature.

The cause of IBS is yet to be determined. However, modern research understands IBS as a disorder of increased reactivity of the bowel, visceral hypersensitivity and dysfunction of the brain-gut axis. There are subgroups being defined as well, including post-infectious IBS which can lead to IBS symptoms. Other work using brain imaging shows that the pain regulation center of the brain (cingulate cortex) can be impaired, as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation. So finding a specific "cause" of IBS has grown out of general interest in place of understanding physiological subgroups that may become amenable to more specific treatments. Hope that helps.
Doug

This is from the president of the ROME CRiteria to diagnoses all functional disorders including IBS and a world authority and teacher for GI doctors and training for doctors in functional disorders. They center also share IBS data from around the world with all IBS researchers.

You are posting Bad information on IBS, and quite frankly making it up from your own opinions NOT real IBS sciences and facts. This hurts IBSers from getting accurate information on IBS. You bbase this on beliefs, they base it on over twenty years of peer reviewed research and Hard work.

--------------------

Re: Kim new
      #354165 - 01/07/10 10:08 AM
shawneric

Wrong, it is about the acutal science ands NOT people's personal opinions and anecdotal evidence.

Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis

Its about rigorous or scientific analysis. Which has and is being done, years ago in 92 they ruled out candida as a cause of IBS.

--------------------

Carolyn new
      #354166 - 01/07/10 10:10 AM
Gerikat

I agree with you about toxins being the cause of many of our ills. It makes sense to me.

I think a diet like our ancestors consumed without processed foods is the best. If grandma didn't know what it was/is, then don't eat it.

#354168 - 01/07/10 10:14 AM
shawneric

Kim,(sorry to chime in) I just wanted to mention that my doctors diagnosed me with having IBS; probably because they could not find anything wrong. I think this diagnosis happens to a good many people. So IBS has become a term used to explain a very wide variety of unexplainable gut symptoms.

I was obviously misdiagnosed. I bet many people here on the boards have been misdiagnosed as well.

"So IBS has become a term used to explain a very wide variety of unexplainable gut symptoms."

Totally wrong IBS IS NOT A "CATCH ALL DIAGNOSES"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is something you don't get at all.

The people that misdiagnosed you were the ones that diagnose you with a condition that doesn't even exist and the treatment helped you IBS.

Cadida would not cause constipation in the first place, but d to get rid of the pathogen. You also have millions of candida in your body of different species. They diagnosed you with want you wanted to hear and they is no REAl TEST FOR THIS FOR A reason they can"t find it AFTER TWENTY YEARS OF LOOKING IN EVERY FIELD, INCLUDING mYCOLOGY, THE STUDY OF FUNGUSES. The people that diagnosed you with candida, are not experts on IBS.

They have not found the exact cause of IBS, but they have found a lot of problems, none of them are candida overgrowth, no matter how hard you say it.

Since I have suffered for thirty eight of IBS I wonder what role foods play in IBS. So I asked Dr Douglas Drossman at the UNC Center for Functional GI and Motility disorders and here was his response. This is not a substitute for seeking medical advise from your doctor on any specific conditions you may have, but for educational purposes only.

Dr. Drossman is a Co-director of the Center and Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry at UNC-CH. He established a program of research in functional gastrointestinal disorders at UNC more than 15 years ago and has published more than 250 books, articles, and abstracts relating to epidemiology, psychosocial and quality of life assessment, design of treatment trials, and outcomes research in gastrointestinal disorders.

Dr Drossman's comments on foods for IBS Health.

Shawn,
To say that people with IBS may get symptoms from food intolerances is an acceptable possibility, since the gut will over react to stressors of all types including food (high fat or large volumes of food in particular). Furthermore, there can be specific intolerances. So if you have a lactose intolerance for example, it can exacerbate, or even mimic IBS. Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse.

However, it is important to separate factors that worsen IBS (e.g., foods as above, stress, hormonal changes, etc.) from the cause or pathophysiology of IBS. Just like stress doesn't cause IBS, (though it can make it worse), foods must be understood as aggravating rather than etiological in nature.

The cause of IBS is yet to be determined. However, modern research understands IBS as a disorder of increased reactivity of the bowel, visceral hypersensitivity and dysfunction of the brain-gut axis. There are subgroups being defined as well, including post-infectious IBS which can lead to IBS symptoms. Other work using brain imaging shows that the pain regulation center of the brain (cingulate cortex) can be impaired, as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation. So finding a specific "cause" of IBS has grown out of general interest in place of understanding physiological subgroups that may become amenable to more specific treatments. Hope that helps.
Doug

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

--------------------

Carolyn new
      #354170 - 01/07/10 10:19 AM
Gerikat

This happened to me. After many, many tests the doc could not find out what was wrong or right, so he just shrugged his shoulders and said, "I guess IBS?" Say what.

I then fired him and started with a Naturopath.

So, they throw you into the IBS pits of hell, if they don't have any other answers for you. They just don't know.

#354171 - 01/07/10 10:21 AM
shawneric

First its important to go over IBS itself. There are some 28 GI disorders of function, some examples are IBS, functional dyspepsisa, functional D, functional c, functional analrectal disorders ect..

The diagnoses of IBS is based on a specific cluster of symptoms. It is NOT a catch all diagnoses.

"What Patients Know About Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and What They Would Like to Know. National Survey on Patient Educational Needs in IBS and Development and Validation of the Patient Educational
Posted 09/18/2007

"The most prevalent IBS misconceptions included (% of subjects agreeing with the statement): IBS is caused by lack of digestive enzymes (52%), is a form of colitis (42.8%), will worsen with age (47.9%), and can develop into colitis (43%) or malnutrition (37.7%) or cancer (21.4%). IBS patients were interested in learning about (% of subjects choosing an item): (1) foods to avoid (63.3%), (2) causes of IBS (62%), (3) coping strategies (59.4%), (4) medications (55.2%), (5) will they have to live with IBS for life (51.6%), and (6) research studies (48.6%). Patients using the Web were better informed about IBS.
Conclusion: (1) Many patients hold misconceptions about IBS being caused by dietary habits, developing into cancer, colitis, causing malnutrition, or worsening with age; (2) patients most often seek information about dietary changes; and (3) educational needs may be different for persons using the internet for medical information."

"The emerging research typifies IBS as a brain-gut disorder where psychosocial factors (e.g., stress, cognitions, coping, etc.) can alter the symptoms and illness experience for better or worse. Due to these and other disease specific characteristics, that are amenable to education, we believe effective educational interventions may significantly impact the management of this common disorder."

Patients Consider IBS a Diagnosis of Exclusion: Over 50% of the patients considered IBS to be a "catch all" diagnosis and another 22% were unsure. While this could reflect the information provided by their physicians (thus highlighting the need to also educate physicians about IBS), this misconception may motivate patients to seek more and more diagnostic studies to find "the cause." The use of the Rome criteria[17] permits the patient to have a positive diagnosis. With confidence in knowing that IBS is a specific entity , such behaviors are minimized. Thus it is important for the physician to provide proper education about the level of confidence in the diagnosis.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/117956426/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

Hopefully also it will help when talking to your doctor.

NEVER self diagnose. The leading cause of misdiagnoses is self diagnoses. Some conditions that mimick some IBS symptoms are also very serious and even potentially deadly.

First though is the change in diagnosing IBS that has been made.

"In the past two decades, medical opinion has changed regarding how to diagnose IBS. The older view emphasized that IBS should be regarded primarily as a "diagnosis of exclusion;" that is, diagnosed only after diagnostic testing excludes many disorders that could possibly cause the symptoms. Because many medical disorders can produce the cardinal IBS features of abdominal discomfort or pain and disturbed bowel habit as well as other symptoms caused by IBS, this approach often led to extensive diagnostic testing in many patients. Since the era when such thinking about IBS was common, laboratory, motility, radiologic, and endoscopic tests have proliferated. Although each of these tests is useful in evaluating certain problems, their routine or indiscriminate use can cause unnecessary inconvenience and cost for patients, and complications even occur infrequently from some of the tests. Fortunately, physicians can now diagnose IBS in most patients by recognizing certain symptom details, performing a physical examination, and undertaking limited diagnostic testing. This simpler approach is grounded on recent knowledge of the typical symptoms of IBS, and it leads to a reliable diagnosis in most cases. Extensive testing is usually reserved for special situations."

http://www.aboutibs.org/Publications/diagnosis.html

--------------------

#354172 - 01/07/10 10:28 AM
shawneric

Dr. Andrew Weil, bestselling author of Natural Health, Natural Medecine has to say about candidia...

Candidiasis

Candida albicans is a kind of yeast that normally lives in the gastrointestinal tract and vagina without causing any problems. Under certain circumstances it can reproduce wildly, causing symptomatic infections of the mouth (thrush) and vagina as well as intestinal upsets. A common cause of yeast overgrowth is antibiotic therapy, which can kill off the "friendly" bacteria that compete with candida for food and keep it in check. If you have to take broad-spectrum antibiotics, it is a good idea to take supplemental acidophilus; to reduce the possibility of yeast infections. Candidiasis also tends to occur in people with suppressed immunity, such as patients with cancer and AIDS and those on long-term treatment with steroids and other immunosuppressive drugs.

In recent years Candida albicans has received much notoriety in certain circles as a major cause of illness. Some holistic practitioners diagnose everyone coming through the door as having systemic yeast infections, and health-food stores make a great deal of money on supplements that claim to fight yeast. I have read books and pamphlets that give the impression that everyone who has ever taken an antibiotic or steroid now is infected with candida, and that undiagnosed yeast infections are responsible for fatigue, depression, anxiety, mood swings, behavioral problems in children, allergic reactivity, skin eruptions, and most chronic digestive problems. I have had patients who believed yeast was growing in their blood, lungs, and other vital organs and begged me to prescribe strong drugs to kill it. They shunned beer, wine, bread, vinegar, and even mushrooms in the belief that any food associated with yeast or fungus would contribute to their disease.

Most of these ideas are unsound. Diagnoses of systemic candidiasis usually have no scientific basis, and most treatments people take for it are a waste of time and money. If you had yeast growing in your blood or vital organs, you would be in an intensive care unit, critically ill. Since candida is a normal inhabitant of the human body, no objective test can prove it to be the cause of general symptoms. Culturing it from the throat of a depressed patient does not mean that yeast infection is the cause of the depression.

Most of the treatments prescribed for this faddish disease are harmless except to the pocketbook. One that is not is the prescription drug ketoconazole (Nizoral). It can be toxic to the liver and should not be used except on the advice of an infectious disease specialist. The more commonly used drug nystatin (Mycostatin) is usually safe because it is not absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.

Women who have recurrent vaginal yeast infections should see the entry on that subject. Others who worry about yeast in their system would do well to eat raw garlic every day; since it is a very effective antifungal agent. Take a course of nystatin if you wish (it must be prescribed by a doctor), and try to cut way down on sugar in the diet. Pau d'arco, an herbal remedy made from the bark of a South American jungle tree (species of Tabebuia, also known as palo de arco, lapacho, and taheebo) is often recommended for candidiasis, but I do not prescribe it. Much of the bark that comes into this country is contaminated with pesticides.

Candidiasis is a wonderful example of a fashionable disease. It appeals to our fears of being vulnerable to foreign invaders and satisfies a need to blame our vague and general symptoms on a specific causative agent. ten years from now it may be out of fashion. In the meantime, if you have used antibiotics and steroids for a long time and have clear symptoms and signs of yeast infection, by all means follow the recommendations above and see what happens. If after a reasonable trial, say four to six weeks, you have not experienced dramatic improvement, consider another diagnosis.

The recomended anti-candida diet is VERY similar to the specific carbohydrate diets that are recomended for both IBS and IBD by the alternative therapy community.

Real Candidiasis which is "Systemic Candidiasis are "systemic infections"

Systemic Candidiasis is rare and usally found in highly compromised immune systems such as AIDS and Cancer and can be life threatening.

--------------------

for Syl new
      #354175 - 01/07/10 10:31 AM
PMartin

I completely understand what you're saying Syl. Just because something is written doesn't mean it's true. I approach any information with caution and do my best to research it (including feedback from this forum) and going from there. In our situations though (having IBS), we need to be objective an keep an open mind. We've all probably been dealing with our symptoms for years with little, if any help from doctors and have taken to figuring this out on our own. If someone says they've resolved their issues, I think how and what they've done is worth consideration regardless of what we actually call the disease/syndrome etc.

With that said, I consulted with a naturopath today (nothing to to with Candida though as I don't think it's my problem anyway) and the issue of parasites came up. You and I spoke about this before as I mentioned I pursued this with my doctor (for reasons I could explain if needed) but got little interest from him as he said the colonoscopy and/or stool and ova test would have uncovered it. You questioned this logic then as did the naturopath today. She suggested an anti-parasite remedy. Any thoughts on that?

Also I'm going to make a seperate post about something else she talked about called body talk http://www.bodytalksystem.com/ Do you know anything about this?

--------------------

#354181 - 01/07/10 10:44 AM
CarolynC

I agree too!!!

Why is it some people on this board so strongly fee they must have the final say and last word to everything in this discussion??
It is quite annoying to say the least.

Shawneric is very quick to jump in with knowledge and atricles that are filled with half truths. So anyone reading these....please beware! Again, I urge you to seek the truth on your own.

Here is a website with a wealth of information about Candida and health in general.
http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com

Folks I am not going to post on this board anymore because there are simply too many bullies and know-it-alls here.
It's too bad because they are keeping people from becoming well.

It's been a pleasure meeting all of you these past years! But now that I am no longer dealing with IBS I can move on and put my efforts in other things.

In health,
Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

#354182 - 01/07/10 10:46 AM
shawneric

Gastroenterology Expert Column
Diagnosing Irritable Bowel Syndrome: What's Too Much, What's Enough?
Posted 03/12/2004

Susan Lucak, MD

Introduction
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is the most common gastrointestinal disorder diagnosed in clinical practice in the United States. Because there is no biological marker to confirm the diagnosis of IBS, it is a diagnosis that has challenged clinicians for decades. In the past, IBS was a "waste-basket" diagnosis given to patients with unexplained gastrointestinal symptoms. It was considered to be "the diagnosis of exclusion" when extensive work-up for organic disease yielded no diagnosis.
In recent decades, it was recognized that patients with IBS experienced a constellation of specific gastrointestinal symptoms. Manning criteria were described in 1978,[1] followed by Rome I in 1989[2] and Rome II criteria in 1999.[3] Rome I and Rome II criteria were initially developed by multinational working groups to provide a framework for the selection of patients in diagnostic and therapeutic trials. These criteria are being continuously modified as we gain new knowledge about functional bowel disorders.
Recently published diagnostic guidelines[4,5] recommend using symptom-based criteria in making the diagnosis of IBS in clinical practice. Using these criteria in conjunction with "alarm features" allows a physician to minimize the extent of diagnostic testing needed to make the diagnosis of IBS. Furthermore, recent systematic review of the literature indicates that performing a number of diagnostic tests did not result in a significant increase in the diagnosis of organic gastrointestinal disease.[6]

This column discusses novel approaches to the diagnosis of IBS."

""Alarm Features"
An important aspect of making the diagnosis of IBS is the absence of "red flag" or "alarm features" ( Table 2 ).[4,11,12] Unexplained weight loss may reflect disorders such as malignancy, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), or celiac disease. Persistent diarrhea or severe constipation may be associated with an organic disease.

IBS is generally an intermittent and recurrent disorder. Symptoms of IBS tend to disappear at night when the patient is asleep. Thus, nocturnal gastrointestinal symptoms warrant search for a diagnosis other than IBS. The onset of new gastrointestinal symptoms after the age of 50 should prompt the physician to look for organic disease, particularly colorectal cancer. Blood in stool may reflect IBD or an infectious process or colon cancer. Family history of IBD, celiac disease, or gastrointestinal malignancy requires evaluation for these diseases. Fever suggests the possibility of an infectious or inflammatory disorder. Anemia should alert the physician to look for IBD or colorectal cancer. Signs of bowel obstruction, malabsorption, extraintestinal signs of IBD, or thyroid dysfunction should all prompt organic disease work-up. Any laboratory test abnormalities should be pursued appropriately. Absence of these "alarm features" serves to support, not establish, the diagnosis of IBS."

Summary and Conclusions
What's too much when we think about diagnosing IBS is to do exhaustive and duplicate testing. In a retrospective, community-based study in Olmsted County, Minnesota, two thirds of patients who consulted for gastrointestinal symptoms had to wait at least 2 years to have their IBS diagnosed, despite averaging nearly 5 healthcare visits per year.[20] Such an approach is not only costly and inefficient, but it delays treatment and fosters frustration on the part of the patient and the physician.

What's enough is to use symptom-based criteria, "alarm features," and guidelines proposed by the ACG IBS Task Force and the AGA Technical Review on IBS in making a more timely diagnosis of IBS. Although additional studies are necessary to validate Rome II criteria and to assess diagnostic testing in prospective studies, the expert guidelines allow the diagnosis of IBS to be made with greater efficiency, certainty, and confidence. Furthermore, once a diagnosis of IBS is made, it is retained in more than 93% of cases with a long-term follow-up. Considering legal aspects of IBS diagnosis, symptom-based criteria and guidelines set forth by the ACG and AGA are becoming key elements in establishing standard of care. It has become clear that the diagnosis of IBS can and should be made quickly so that treatment can be initiated as soon as possible. This promotes greater patient confidence in the physician."

Introduction
Epidemiology
Symptom-based Criteria
"Alarm Features"
Physical Examination
Diagnostic Testing
Differential Diagnosis and Durability of Diagnosis
Legal Risks in Diagnosing IBS
Summary and Conclusions

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/465760_1

Diagnosis, Pathophysiology, and Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Diagnosis of IBS
Symptoms of IBS can be common to any number of gastrointestinal disorders. Abdominal pain, bloating, and diarrhea or constipation can easily generate an extensive list of potential diagnostic possibilities. To adopt an open-ended approach to diagnosis and to value all diagnostic possibilities equally has never been an effective approach in the diagnosis of IBS. However, with the development and validation of the Rome II criteria for the diagnosis of IBS, our approach to the diagnosis of this traditionally perplexing disorder is rapidly changing.

Diagnosing the patient with IBS should include 3 steps. First, determine whether the patient at first encounter meets the Rome diagnostic criteria for IBS. Second, conduct a history and physical examination looking for so-called "alarm factors." Third, perform diagnostic testing.

Diagnostic Criteria
The latest version of the Rome diagnostic criteria (Rome II) for IBS were first published in abbreviated form in 1999[7] and in full form in 2000.[8] See the Table below. The Rome criteria have been shown to be both sensitive and specific for the diagnosis of IBS[9] and can be used advantageously in clinical practice. If a patient presents with symptoms suggestive of IBS and epidemiologically fits the profile of a patient most likely to have IBS (ie, younger than 40 years of age and with typical symptoms), the Rome criteria can be used to validate the physician's initial impression. Starting with a "positive approach" to diagnosing IBS, as opposed to adopting a diagnosis of exclusion, sets the entire physician-patient encounter off in a positive and thoughtful direction. Providing the diagnostic framework presented by the Rome criteria gives the physician an intellectual basis for making an IBS diagnosis with confidence.[10]

History-Taking
The key to history-taking in a patient with suspected IBS is first and foremost to look for the presence of so-called "alarm factors." It is clear that the symptoms of IBS can be typical of many other structural disorders of the gastrointestinal tract. Diarrhea, abdominal bloating, and constipation can all represent an extraordinarily wide spectrum of gastrointestinal pathology. The challenge using the framework provided by the Rome II diagnostic criteria is to rapidly exclude the possibility of other disorders. The key is to look for symptoms in the history that are atypical of IBS and suggestive of other disorders. The list of so-called "alarm factors" can certainly be open to debate and discussion.

Physical Examination
After a patient history has been completed and the absence of "alarm factors" documented, a physical examination should always be performed. The physical examination should focus specifically on ruling out inflammatory bowel disease, colorectal or other gastrointestinal cancers, and malabsorption caused by luminal or pancreatic causes. Look for extraintestinal manifestations of inflammatory bowel disease, such as ophthalmic changes, Sicca syndrome, intraoral lesions (eg, aphthous ulcers), and skin or arthritic changes suggestive of inflammatory bowel disease. Likewise, signs of malabsorption, such as muscle wasting, nail or perioral changes, and weight loss should all be ruled out. Finally, the issue of colorectal cancer must be addressed. There is agreement in the functional bowel community that the best guide to help clarify this situation is to follow the colorectal cancer screening guidelines of the American Cancer Society. It is therefore recommended that patients 50 years of age or older who have never had a screening colonoscopy should have one performed as part of an IBS evaluation. Likewise, individuals 40 years of age or older who have a family history of colorectal cancer in a first-rank relative should also have a screening colonoscopy.[11] Finally, the use of sigmoidoscopy in individuals younger than 50 years old who have no family history is open to some discussion.[12]

Small bowel (to rule out Giardia or small bowel malabsorption) or colonic (to rule out microscopic colitis) biopsies may be indicated, particularly for patients with loose or watery stools.[13] These studies, although they include some diagnostic testing, may be considered part of the "physical examination" and initial evaluation of the patient with suspected IBS.

Diagnostic Testing
The use of diagnostic testing in IBS has become an increasingly controversial topic. Traditionally, the "diagnosis of exclusion" approach encouraged extensive diagnostic testing to evaluate patients with suspected IBS to rule out other possible causes of the disorder. Given the high prevalence of IBS , this approach has been subject to considerable scrutiny over the last 5 years.[10] Numerous studies have shown that the use of routine lactase hydrogen breath-testing for sugar malabsorption,[14] abdominal ultrasound,[15] routine computed tomography scanning, particularly in younger patients, and more esoteric tests, such as screening for acute intermittent porphyria[16] or thyroid testing for hyper- or hypothyroidism,[17] rarely yield data that change the diagnosis of IBS. Testing for bacterial overgrowth has been recently proposed by 1 group as a possible cause of IBS-like symptoms.[18] However, the article supporting the reasonableness of this approach studied a cohort of patients who were specifically referred by their treating physician to a tertiary center specializing in bacterial overgrowth. These patients were specifically referred to the tertiary center to rule out the possibility of bacterial overgrowth. However, given the selection bias in this study, the applicability of these data to the universe of IBS patients is open to some question. Based on the available literature, routine testing for bacterial overgrowth in patients with suspected IBS cannot be routinely recommended at this time.

One additional issue that is rapidly evolving in the area of IBS diagnosis is the issue of celiac disease. A number of studies have recently demonstrated a higher prevalence of celiac disease in the North American population than was previously thought, as well as a possible higher prevalence among patients with IBS-like symptoms.[19] This issue is yet to be completely resolved. It would therefore seem prudent for physicians who have patients with suspected IBS who have subtle signs or symptoms of celiac disease, such as osteoporosis in a premenopausal female or male, infertility, mild anemia, or weight loss, to evaluate the patient by obtaining celiac disease markers. Endoscopy with small bowel biopsy can confirm any equivocal serologic results.

Given these data, it would seem reasonable for the patient with IBS who presents absent alarm factors and who has a normal physical examination to have a complete blood count and chemistry panel and perhaps erythrocyte sedimentation rate measurement and thyroid function testing in the form of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels. As noted above, in patients with diarrhea, additional initial investigation may be warranted, particularly investigation for the possibility of microscopic colitis and perhaps celiac disease.[17] For the majority of patients, this should end the initial evaluation. It is at this point that the physician should begin treatment and follow the patient prospectively. Failure to respond to reasonable treatment for IBS after a period of 2-4 weeks should certainly invite the physician to question the validity of IBS diagnosis and to consider additional evaluation as indicated. See the Figure below for a schematic that outlines this approach.

Of course recently they have published the rome lll criteria.

--------------------

#354186 - 01/07/10 10:54 AM
shawneric

Your the one posting bad IBS information.

Name a half truth I have said.

"Why is it some people on this board so strongly fee they must have the final say and last word to everything in this discussion??
It is quite annoying to say the least.

What annoying is you calling IBS a condition that doesn't exist to begin with and calling it IBS.

There are tons of inaccurate websites on candida and people calling it IBS from the alternative community making millions of dollars of it. I have no stake in it what so ever, other then accuret information. You don't even know how IBS is diagnosed to begin with.

"knowledge and atricles that are filled with half truths"

artlce from THE UNC, Peer reviewed article, the experts thousands of them that are actually doing the work itself, while you post people who don't research IBS and seel products.

Show me a peer reviewed actual study IBS is caused by candida or that candida over growth exists at all.

These are mycology experts the ones who study fungus in the body, even they can't find Candida Overgrowth syndrome, in anyone let along IBSers.

From the Dr Fungus website. An exppert on all fungi

Overview

It has been proposed that the asymptomatic colonization with Candida might be associated with a variety of symptoms and cause a "Candida Hypersensitivity Syndrome" [592] This concept was popularized by William Crook, MD in his book The Yeast Connection [485]. Previously, C.O. Truss, a physician from Birmingham, Alabama had proposed the existence of such a malady [2232, 2234]. Other names that have been given to this presumed condition include:
Candida-Related Complex
Polysystemic Candidiasis
Chronic Candidiasis (This term should not be confused with Chronic Mucocutaneous Candidiasis)
The syndrome is theoretically due to an overgrowth of Candida albicans in the gastrointestinal tract or in association with mucous membranes. The syndrome is said to occur in connection with some or all of the following risk factors:
Use of broad spectrum antibiotics
Use of oral contraceptives
Ingestion of diets rich in yeast-containing foods or readily utilizable carbohydrates.
Pregnancy
Tremendous attention by public media and health magazines has created a large body of uncritical publications on this topic [395, 480, 484, 2024, 2231, 2232, 2233, 2234, 2425]. There are no rigorous data to support these concepts. The whole idea is based on historical controls and no working definition has been ever assessed [218]. Although brief communications by the proponents have appeared in major journals [477, 478, 479, 481, 482, 483, 486], the actual studies performed by these physicians do not appear to have been subjected to peer review. The American Academy of Allergy and Immunology published a position paper in 1986 stating that the concept was "speculative and unproven" [82]. Later, a carefully designed study on the topic by Dismukes et al. demonstrated that the condition does not appear to be reproducible or verifiable [592].

Clinical Manifestations

There is a broad range of symptoms that have been associated with this syndrome. They can be classified in the following groups, although it is not clear how many or which of them are required to make a diagnosis nor is there scientific data linking these multiple clinical manifestations with Candida albicans overgrowth [218, 260]:
Vaginal. Recurrent episodes of Candida vaginitis associated with the classic symptoms of pruritus, burning and abnormal discharge.
Gastrointestinal. Heartburn, bloating, diarrhea or constipation.
Respiratory allergy. Rhinitis, sneezing and/or wheezing.
Central nervous system. Anxiety, depression, memory deficits and/or loss of ability to concentrate.
Menstrual abnormalities. Severe premenstrual tension and/or menstrual irregularities.
Other Systemic Symptoms. Fatigue, headache and/or irritability.
Specific Diagnostic Strategies

The proponents of the existence of this syndrome base their diagnosis on the clinical picture previously discussed [484, 485, 2425]. There is no laboratory test that allows a clear identification of patients affected with this presumed disorder. Actually, "no clear definition of the disease has ever been advanced" [218]. Considering these facts, it is impossible to set criteria to establish and identify patients affected with this supposed disease.

From a practical viewpoint, we recommend that all women with recurrent vaginitis be carefully evaluated for possible causative factors. Patients with more general complaints should receive a general physical examination. A CBC, general serum chemistries (including liver enzymes), and thyroid studies should be checked to eliminate the possibility of an anemia, subclinical hepatitis, and so forth. Finally, Renfro et al. reported that approximately two-thirds of patients with chronic fatigue had an underlying psychiatric diagnosis [1871].

Treatment

Proponents of this syndrome have recommended such therapies as:
Long-term therapy with antifungal agents at increasing doses until resolution of symptoms. Oral and usually vaginal nystatin are recommended. Other azoles, such as ketoconazole have been also used [260].
Diet modification including restriction of sugar and other simple carbohydrates [481].
Candida allergy shots [218].
Avoidance of mouldy environments [218].
The value of these therapies is unknown. Dismukes et al. conducted a prospective double-blind study to assess the impact of antifungal therapy on this condition [592]. This study compared oral and vaginal nystatin with placebo in 42 premenopausal women with the presumed diagnosis of chronic candidiasis. The remarkable finding of this study was that nystatin did not "reduce systemic or psychological symptoms more than placebo did "[592]. One of the major proponents of the syndrome, Doctor William Crook criticized the study by saying that nystatin is no more than one of the components of the "comprehensive and multimodal therapy" required for this condition [481]. The same author agreed on the urgent need for more scientific studies on the topic. However, a recently done and detailed Medline search on the topic yielded only the data that we have discussed.

Chronic Candidiasis FAQ

We often receive inquiries about the diagnosis and treatment of chronic candidiasis. Here is our FAQ list:
How can I decide if I have chronic candidiasis? Answer: We don't know. The syndrome has never been clearly defined and a workable diagnostic approach has never been put forth. While we have no doubt that there are individuals who suffer from some (or all) of the symptoms listed above, we are not aware of any testing procedure that can link these symptoms to a candidal infection.

My doctor cultured Candida from my stool. What does this mean? Answer: Candida spp. are frequent asymptomatic colonizers of the skin and bowel. Such cultures are of little significance unless you are critically ill in an ICU or are receiving cancer chemotherapy.

I took _______ (name of drug) or I altered my diet to include (or exclude) _______ (name of food) and now I feel better. Doesn't that mean I have (had) chronic candidiasis? Answer: The most common form of this question is "I took fluconazole and now I feel better--does this mean I had chronic candidiasis?" While we're glad you feel better, response to fluconazole is not a diagnostic tool. The various antifungal drugs have effects that go beyond the fungi (for example, fluconazole interacts with the enzyme systems of people, not just of fungi) and many diseases have a natural course of progression and regression. Similar concepts apply to changes in diet. If something makes you feel better, we're delighted for you. We just don't know what it means.

I still really think I might have chronic candidiasis. What should I do? Answer: At the risk of being repetitive, we'll say it again: We don't know of any useful approaches to diagnosing or treating chronic candidiasis. You should see a competent physician and be checked for the things that we do know how to diagnose (see discussion above). If these tests are negative, then we have nothing too specific to offer other than sympathy. We are not denying your symptoms. Rather, we honestly don't know what to do about them. If you can identify something that makes you feel better, then we'll cheer for you!

Is "yeast" the same as Candida? Answer: The term "yeast" is relatively imprecise. Medical mycologists use this term to describe fungi that reproduce predominantly by budding or fission. There are many genera of fungi that fit in this category. Beer and bread makers use the term to refer to Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Doctors sometimes use the term "yeast infection" to refer to Candida spp. and its diseases. For example, yeast vaginitis is the colloquial phrase for candidal vaginitis.

--------------------

#354187 - 01/07/10 10:56 AM
CarolynC

Every single one of your posts about Candidiasis are filled with half truths and incorrect "mainstream" information.

Writing MORE in each post is not better and simply ends up annoying people. I do not think that you aim to help anyone at all.... but only to have the last word in any subject.... and to be considered RIGHT.

I would never ever claim that I know everything. But the one thing I DO know is that I am cured of my IBS....and you are NOT.

I will not be posting on this board any longer as I do not have the time to explain your incorrect summations. Plus I do not care for the rudeness.

Carolyn

--------------------
occasional type A

Carolyn new
      #354188 - 01/07/10 10:57 AM
Gerikat

Carolyn, sorry to see you go. Seems that happens quite frequently.

I read all information on here and do my own investigation. I just don't read and accept. If I feel I want to give it a try, I do. Labels and names aren't important to me, but the final outcome is. I do have a brain in my head, so I can sift through and take what I will and leave the rest. Others can do the same.

Take care and stay well!

#354189 - 01/07/10 11:08 AM
shawneric

Wronmg, first again you don't know what a diagnoses of IBS itself means.

You keep saying mainstream, your alternative practioners DON"T DO IBS research they get it from science itself. This condition has never been proven to exist in over twenty years of looking for it with powerful microscopes of the intensines looking at specific cells, no candida overgrowth.

Youer cured, yet you say candida never goes away? You problably had mild IBS and diet helped as well as you think its helping.

IRRITABLE BOWEL SYNDROME
Lin Chang, M.D.
CNS: Center of Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's Health, CURE: Digestive Diseases Research Center,
Division of Digestive Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Corresponding Author:
Lin Chang, M.D.
Center for Neurovisceral Sciences & Women's Health
CURE: Digestive Diseases Research Center
VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
11301 Wilshire Blvd., Building. 115, Room. 223
Los Angeles, CA. 90073

PREVALENCE AND EPIDEMIOLOGY
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is the most common
functional gastrointestinal (GI) disorder with worldwide
prevalence rates ranging from 9-23%. Functional
disorders are conditions where there is an absence of
anatomical or biochemical abnormalities on diagnostic
tests which could explain symptoms. IBS is a chronic
functional bowel disorder characterized by abdominal pain
or discomfort and alterations in bowel habits. It is the most
common disorder diagnosed by gastroenterologists and
accounts for up to 12% of total visits to primary care
providers Gender appears to play an important role in IBS.
Two-thirds of individuals with IBS are female with an
estimated prevalence in women ranging from 14-24%. Of
those who seek healthcare services including tertiary and
ambulatory care for IBS and other functional bowel
disorders, women lead men by a ratio of 2-2.5:1 while
others estimate the rate to be higher at 3-4:1. However, the
gender distribution appears to be less than 2:1 among IBS
non-patients (individuals with symptoms of IBS but who
have not sought health care) in the community. It is not
known if this increased female prevalence represents a
reporting bias, i.e. if female patients are more willing than
men to disclose that they have IBS-related symptoms, or if
it represents a biological difference.
Not all individuals with IBS symptoms seek medical care
for their symptoms. Based on different epidemiological
studies performed in different countries, 20-75% of
individuals meeting symptom criteria for IBS will seek
medical care for their symptoms at some point in their
lives. There are between 2.4 and 3.5 million annual
physician visits for IBS in the United States, during which
2.2 million prescriptions are written. The cost to society in
terms of direct medical expenses and indirect costs
associated with loss of productivity and work absenteeism
is considerable. It has been estimated that the total cost of
IBS is 30 billion dollars per year which includes 20 billion
dollars for indirect costs and 10 billion dollars for direct
costs.
SYMPTOMS OF IBS
Gastrointestinal (GI) symptoms. The hallmark symptoms
of IBS are chronic abdominal pain and/or discomfort and
alterations in bowel habits, such as diarrhea, constipation
or alternating diarrhea and constipation. Abdominal pain
has been reported as primarily crampy or as a generalized
ache with superimposed periods of abdominal cramps,
although sharp, dull, gas-like, or nondescript pains are also
common. The intensity and location of abdominal pain in
IBS are highly variable, even at different times within a
single patient. The abdominal pain and/or discomfort
experienced by IBS patients is often severe enough to
interfere with daily activities. Several factors exacerbate or
reduce the pain of IBS. Many IBS patients report
increased symptoms during periods of stress or emotional
upset such as job or marital difficulties. Defecation may
provide temporary relief from the abdominal pain of IBS,
whereas ingestion of food may exacerbate the discomfort
in a subset of patients.
Based on bowel habits, patients are commonly subclassified
into those having mainly diarrhea, mainly
constipation, and those alternating between the two
patterns. IBS patients with constipation may experience
infrequent bowel movements (<3/week), hard stools,
straining, and sensation of incomplete evacuation. IBS
patients with primarily diarrhea report frequent bowel
movements (>3/day), loose and/or watery stools frequent,
and urgency. The prevalence of the difference subgroups
based on bowel habits is similar. Other common IBS
symptoms include bloating, visible abdominal distension,
and mucus in the stool.
Upper gastrointestinal symptoms are commonly reported
by IBS patients with 25% to 50% of patients reporting
heartburn, early satiety, nausea, abdominal fullness, and
bloating. Up to 87% have reported intermittent upper
abdominal discomfort or pain (dyspepsia) by
approximately 40% of patients.
Extra-intestinal symptoms and overlap with other
common pain syndromes. Many IBS patients also report
extra-intestinal (non-gastrointestinal) symptoms such as
fatigue, muscle pain, sleep disturbances, and sexual
dysfunction. Up to two-thirds of IBS patients report extraintestinal
symptoms compared to less than 15% of healthy
individuals. These extra-intestinal symptoms may be due
to IBS co-morbidity with other stress-related syndromes
such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and
interstitial cystitis. Epidemiological studies have confirmed
the clinical impression that IBS frequently overlaps with
these other conditions in the same patient, suggesting
shared pathophysiologic mechanisms.
Psychological symptoms. Some IBS patients also have
psychological distress symptoms such as anxiety and
depression particularly in those with severe symptoms and
health care seeking behavior. Somatization, anxiety and
depressive disorders are also more commonly seen in IBS
patients than in healthy controls. Psychosocial trauma and
early adverse life events (e.g., parental separation or
physical/verbal/sexual abuse history) may profoundly
affect symptom severity, daily function, and health
outcome. Although these adverse events such as abuse
may be quite prevalent in IBS patients, a significant
number have not discussed this with anyone and a smaller
number will actually inform their physicians.

DIAGNOSIS OF IBS
The diagnosis of IBS is based on identifying characteristic
symptoms and excluding organic disease. An early
confident diagnosis permits tests to be minimized and
reassures the patient that there is no lethal disease. There
are no physical findings or diagnostic tests that confirm the
diagnosis of IBS. Therefore, diagnosis of IBS involves
identifying certain symptoms consistent with the disorder
and excluding other medical conditions which may have a
similar clinical presentation. The symptom-based Rome II
diagnostic criteria for IBS (Table 1) emphasize a "positive
diagnosis" rather than exhaustive tests to exclude other
diseases. A validation study of the Rome criteria after
excluding patients with symptoms suggestive of other
medical conditions other than IBS ("alarm signs" e.g.
bloody stools, weight loss, family history of colon cancer,
refractory and severe diarrhea) showed that 100% of
individuals who met the diagnosis of IBS based on the
Rome criteria truly had IBS rather than an alternative
diagnosis. At 2 years follow-up, none of the IBS patients
required a change in diagnosis.
Other medical conditions which may present with
symptoms similar to those seen in IBS include
inflammatory bowel disease, GI infections, lactose
intolerance, thyroid disease, microscopic or collagenous
colitis and malabsorption syndromes such as celiac sprue
(Table 2). A medical history and physical examination,
laboratory and GI tests can help to exclude these other
diagnoses. These tests include routine blood tests, stool
studies for infection, and endoscopic procedures such as
upper endoscopy, sigmoidoscopy and colonoscopy. In
patients < 50 years of age who meet diagnostic criteria for
IBS and have no "alarm signs" suggestive of diseases other
than IBS, initial screening tests such as a complete blood
count to check for anemia and a chemistry panel can be
obtained. Other screening tests to consider are a thyroid
test (TSH) and a blood test for celiac sprue. However,
further tests and procedures such as a colonoscopy are not
generally recommended. Patients &#8805; 50 years of age with
IBS symptoms should undergo a screening colon
examination with either a colonoscopy or flexible
sigmoidoscopy and barium enema if these tests have not
been done previously, regardless if they have alarm signs
(see Figure 1).
In some centers, the presence of bacterial overgrowth is
often determined because this condition may cause
symptoms similar to those of IBS. It is most commonly
diagnosed by a lactulose hydrogen breath test. Two studies
from the same research group found that 78% to 84% of
patients with IBS had bacterial overgrowth. In patients
with evidence of bacterial overgrowth, those treated with
an antibiotic such as neomycin had a greater reduction in
their GI symptoms compared with placebo. Although these
data are intriguing, there are some methodologic
limitations in these studies and, therefore, the use of
widespread hydrogen breath testing for bacterial
overgrowth is still not generally advocated.
PATHOPHYSIOLOGIC MECHANISMS OF IBS
Although psychological and physiological abnormalities
have been described, the overall pathophysiology of IBS is
not well understood. Similar to other chronic medical
conditions, a multi-component conceptual model of IBS,
which involves genetic, physiologic, emotional, cognitive,
and behavioral factors, has been formulated (Figure 2).
Although all factors are closely interconnected, the
importance of individual factors in the generation of IBS
symptoms may vary greatly between individuals.
Previously, IBS was considered primarily a disorder of
altered gut motility. Currently, increased bowel sensitivity
(visceral hypersensitivity) and altered brain-gut
interactions are felt to play a principal role in the
pathophysiology of IBS. Recently, it has been found that
genetic and environmental factors are important in IBS but
further studies are needed to understand the importance of
these factors in the prevalence, symptoms, physiologic
responses and response to treatment in IBS.
Altered intestinal motor function. Altered intestinal
motility has been found in IBS, particularly exaggerated
contractions (motor response) in the lower (sigmoid) colon
to psychological stress and food intake. These alterations
may explain why many IBS patients experience typical
IBS symptoms following meals and develop exacerbations
during stressful life events. These changes in bowel
motility are likely due to alterations in the autonomic
nervous system outflow to the intestine.
Increased gut sensitivity. There has been compelling
evidence that IBS patients have enhanced perception of
bowel (visceral) stimuli such as food or distensions of the
gut wall. The initial clinical observations that led to the
hypothesis that patients with IBS have visceral
hypersensitivity included the presence of recurring
abdominal pain as a principal symptom, the presence of
tenderness during palpation of the sigmoid colon (left
lower abdominal area) during physical examination in
many patients, and excessive pain often reported by
patients during endoscopic examination of the sigmoid
colon. Published studies measuring visceral sensitivity
suggest that a variety of abnormal sensations or
perceptions in relation to bowel stimuli may be more
frequent in IBS patients. At least two perceptual
alterations can be distinguished, a hypervigilance
(increased attention or vigilance) towards expected
aversive events arising from the bowel, and hyperalgesia
(lowered threshold to pain) which is inducible by sustained
painful visceral stimulation. These findings are paralleled
by similar findings of target system hypersensitivity in
other disorders such as fibromyalgia and myofascial pain
disorder. In contrast to their enhanced perception of
visceral pain, most IBS patients have normal or even
decreased pain sensitivity and tolerance for painful cold
and mechanical stimulation of somatic (skin and muscle).
However, there is a recent study that has demonstrated
increased somatic sensitivity to thermal heat in IBS
patients. Patients with IBS who also have co-existing
fibromyalgia have increased somatic sensitivity
comparable to patients with fibromyalgia alone.
Increased stress mediators in IBS. There is increasing
evidence to support the prominent role of stress in the
pathophysiology and in the clinical presentation of IBS
symptoms. There are few published reports on alterations
in stress mediators, such as catecholamines and cortisol to
stress or visceral stimulation in IBS. Several studies have
reported increased in catecholamines (norepinephrine and
epinephrine) and cortisol levels in IBS patients. However,
it remains to be determined whether these neuroendocrine
alterations play a direct role in gut function and symptom
generation.
Altered brain-gut communication in IBS. A unifying
hypothesis to explain the functional bowel disorders is that
they result from a dysregulation of the brain-gut axis. An
evolving theory is that normal gastrointestinal function
results from an integration of intestinal motor, sensory,
autonomic and CNS activity and GI symptoms may relate
to dysregulation of these systems. Brain imaging studies
such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and
positron emission tomography (PET) have been performed
in IBS patients to measure brain activation patterns to
visceral stimuli. These studies suggest that brain
activation responses to visceral stimuli are distinctly
different in IBS patients compared to healthy individuals.
IBS patients may have different emotional and cognitive
processing of sensory information from the gut compared
to healthy individuals.
Post-infectious IBS. Symptoms suggestive of IBS occur
in approximately 7-30% of patients following acute GI
infections, often persisting for years following complete
resolution of the infection. A large cohort study identified
a self-reported history of acute gastroenteritis as a major
risk factor for the development of IBS. Reported risk
factors for the development of post-infectious IBS include
female sex, the duration of the acute diarrheal illness and
the presence of sustained psychosocial stressors around the
time of infection. Post-infectious IBS is not restricted to a
particular organism and has been documented with a
variety of bacterial infections (Salmonella, Campylobacter
and E. coli) as well as parasitic infection. However, the
role of acute viral gastroenteritis in this condition is
unknown.
In post-infectious IBS, low grade GI inflammation or
immune activation may be a basis for altered motility,
and/or nerve and mucosal (lining of bowel) function of the
gut in IBS. Recent studies have also shown that in a subset
of unselected IBS patients (no documented history of a
preceding gut infection), there is evidence of increased
inflammatory cells in the colon mucosa. It remains to be
determined if altered gut immune function is a general
characteristic of IBS patients. The implication of stressful
life events in the development of post-infectious IBS
suggests a convergence of central (brain) and peripheral
(gut) mechanisms in the clinical presentation of this
syndrome.
Gender differences. In addition to IBS, many functional
GI disorders and other chronic visceral pain disorders (e.g.
interstitial cystitis and chronic pelvic pain) and somatic
pain disorders (e.g. fibromyalgia, myofascial pain
disorder) are more common in women than in men.
Increasing evidence suggests that gender differences exist
in the symptoms, pathophysiologic responses and response
to certain treatments in IBS. Female IBS patients are more
likely to be constipated, complain of abdominal distension
and certain extra-intestinal symptoms. Studies have also
supported an influential role of ovarian hormones (e.g.
estrogen and progesterone) on bowel function and pain
sensitivity which can in part explain the gender differences
in IBS. Several investigators have reported a variation in
GI symptoms during different phases of the menstrual
cycle, particularly increased abdominal pain and loose
stools at the perimenstrual (just prior to and at time of
menses) phase.
TREATMENT
Treatment of IBS includes both non-pharmacologic and
pharmacologic therapies. An important component of nonpharmacologic
treatment for IBS is a successful physicianpatient
relationship. The physician should strive to
establish effective bi-directional communication with the
patient, gain the patient's confidence with a concise,
appropriate medical evaluation and offer reassurance and
education that IBS is a real medical condition with a
potential impact on health related quality of life but
without significant long/term health risk. Some IBS
patients, especially those presenting with new onset of
symptoms, express relief that their symptoms are not
caused by a serious condition such as malignancy. Other
components of non-pharmacologic treatment of IBS
include diet recommendations, lifestyle modifications, and
psychosocial intervention if needed.
Patients with mild IBS symptoms comprise the most
prevalent group, and are usually treated by primary care
practitioners, rather than specialists. These patients have
less significant functional impairment or psychological
disturbance. These patients do not see a clinician very
often, and usually maintain normal daily activities.
Treatment is directed toward education, reassurance, and
achievement of a healthier lifestyle and occasional
medication. Dietary advice may include avoiding
offending foods which can trigger symptoms (e.g. lactose
or fructose products, fatty foods, caffeine, gas-producing
foods). Fiber supplementation has been shown to be
effective for symptoms of constipation.
Pharmacologic therapy is best used in IBS patients with
moderate to severe symptoms refractory to physician
counseling and dietary manipulations. First line treatment
has traditionally been aimed at treating the most
bothersome symptom because of the lack of effective
treatment for the overall improvement of multiple
symptoms in IBS patients. However, new therapies for
IBS have been recently introduced and have been shown to
effectively treat multiple symptoms of IBS.
Anticholinergic/Antispasmodic agents. After fiber
preparations, antispasmodic agents are the next most
commonly prescribed group of medications for the
treatment of IBS. However, several studies do not provide
firm evidence that anticholinergic agents are efficacious in
the IBS population as a whole. Only a few of these
antispasmodics have been shown to be more effective than
placebo in relieving abdominal pain in high quality clinical
IBS trials but these are not currently available in the U.S.
Antidiarrheal agents. In IBS patients with diarrhea,
antidiarrheal agents such as loperamide and diphenoxylate
can be effective in decreasing bowel movement frequency,
improving stool form by enhancing intestinal water and ion
absorption, and increasing anal sphincter tone at rest.
These physiologic actions seem to explain the
improvement in diarrhea, urgency, and fecal soiling
observed in patients with IBS. These medications do not
typically relieve abdominal pain and may cause
constipation.
Psychotropic medications. The rationale of using this
class of drugs in IBS may relate to several factors, such as
the prominent co-morbidity of IBS with psychologic
distress symptoms and the effects of these agents on gut
motility and pain sensation. Among the classes of
antidepressant medications, the tricyclics have been most
extensively evaluated in IBS. At lower doses than those
usually used to treat depression (starting at 10 mg and up
to 75 mg nightly), amitriptyline and desipramine have been
found to be significantly more effective than placebo in
patients with IBS. Antidepressants have analgesic (pain
relief) properties, which may benefit patients
independently of the psychotropic effects of the drugs.
Treatment with tricyclics should begin with low doses
(e.g., 10 mg/day) and increased as needed up to full
therapeutic doses. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
(SSRIs, e.g. paroxetine, citalopram) and selective serotonin
and noradrenergic reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs, e.g.
venlafaxine) have not been well studied for treatment of
IBS, and are more expensive, but have less side effects
than tricyclics and empirically may help reduce painful
symptoms and improve general well-being and quality of
life.
Novel serotonin agents. The prominent role of serotonin
in GI motility and sensation has led to the development of
novel serotonin agents such as alosetron and tegaserod in
the treatment of IBS. Most of serotonin (also known as 5-
HT) in the body resides in the bowel wall within
enterochromaffin cells lining the gut (mucosa) and nerve
cell bodies. Serotonin is released from the
enterochromaffin cells and acts on receptors on the nerves
within the bowel wall. These nerves may be part of the
nervous system which resides completely within the bowel
wall, known as the enteric nervous system, or may be
nerves that transmit painful and non-painful information
by projecting from the bowel to the spinal cord and brain.
Activation of these nerves by serotonin leads to the release
of other neurotransmitters and through their actions, it
plays a major role in gut motility, secretion and sensation.
Alosetron (Lotronex&#63194;), which is a 5-HT3 antagonist, has
been shown to be effective in relieving pain, normalizing
bowel frequency, and reducing urgency in non-constipated
IBS female patients. This medication was approved by the
FDA last year but was later withdrawn because of the
adverse events of constipation and ischemic colitis, the
latter being observed in 0.1%-1% of patients receiving the
medication. Future studies are being planned to determine
if there is a causal association of alosetron and ischemic
colitis. However, alosetron has recently been re-approved
and now is available for the treatment of women with
severe diarrhea-predominant IBS under the Restricted Use
Program. Alosetron is indicated only for women with
severe diarrhea-predominant IBS who have: chronic IBS
symptoms (generally lasting &#8805; 6 months), no evidence of
anatomic or biochemical abnormalities of the GI tract
which could explain their symptoms, and failed to respond
to conventional therapy. IBS is considered severe if it
includes diarrhea and &#8805; 1 of the following: frequent and
severe abdominal pain/discomfort, frequent bowel urgency
or fecal incontinence, or disability or restriction of daily
activities due to IBS. Physicians must enroll in the
Restricted Use Program in order to prescribe alosetron.
Patients should discuss with their physicians about the
risks and benefits of the medication before being
prescribed it. Both should sign the Patient-Physician
Agreement form. The starting dose of alosetron is now 1
mg orally once daily. If the patient does not experience
complete relief of their symptoms after 1 month, the dose
can be increased to 1 mg orally twice daily which was the
originally approved dose. Any patient who experiences
increased abdominal pain, blood in their stool and/or
constipation should immediately stop their medication and
contact their physician.
Tegaserod (Zelnorm&#63194;) is a partial 5-HT4 agonist, which
has been shown to be effective in relieving the global
symptoms of IBS with constipation. It has been recently
approved for the treatment of IBS with constipation in
women. Tegaserod has been shown to accelerate GI transit
time in IBS patients and therefore would increase stool
frequency, and increase electrolyte secretion in the bowel
and thus improve stool form. In addition to its motility
enhancing properties, tegaserod has been shown to have
pain inhibitory properties in animal studies and therefore
may reduce abdominal pain although human studies are
needed to confirm this effect. Unlike other currently
available medications for IBS with constipation, tegaserod
appears to be effective in treating the multiple symptoms
of IBS. The subject's global assessment of relief of IBS
symptoms, change in number of bowel movements,
abdominal pain and bloating are all reportedly improved in
female patients with IBS with constipation taking
tegaserod as compared to placebo. The only adverse events
which were seen at a small but significantly higher rate in
patients taking tegaserod compared to placebo were
headache and transient diarrhea.
Psychological treatments. Referral for psychological
treatment can be recommended as part of a multicomponent
treatment program to help the patient better
manage the symptoms, or to address psychosocial
difficulties (e.g., abuse, loss) that may be interfere with
daily function and ability to cope with the illness. In
general, these treatments are reserved for patients with
moderate to severe symptoms, particularly if they
experience psychological distress. However, the patient
must be motivated and see this type of treatment as
relevant to their personal needs. Psychological treatments
used to treat IBS include psychotherapy (dynamic and
cognitive-behavioral therapy), relaxation therapy,
hypnotherapy, and biofeedback therapy. Psychological
treatments can also be combined. Review of well-designed
treatment studies of IBS supports the superiority of
psychological treatment over conventional medical
therapy. Follow-up studies (duration 9-40 months), have
demonstrated that psychological treatment maintained
superiority over placebo, indicating that these methods
have lasting value. The choice of treatment will depend on
patient requirements, available resources and the
experience of the therapist.
CONCLUSIONS
IBS is a common, chronic disorder characterized by
exacerbations and remissions, which presents with
symptoms of abdominal pain and/or discomfort and altered
bowel habits. It has a chronic relapsing course and can
overlap with other functional GI (dyspepsia) and non-GI
(fibromyalgia) disorders.
The clinical diagnosis of IBS is based on identifying
symptom criteria with a "positive diagnosis" and excluding
organic disease with minimal diagnostic evaluation.
Clinicians should feel secure with the diagnosis of IBS, if
made properly, because it is rarely associated with other
explanations for symptoms. Although there are many
expensive and sophisticated tests available for the
evaluation of IBS symptoms, these are generally not
needed for patients with typical symptoms and no features
suggestive of organic diseases.
An integrated diagnostic and treatment approach first
requires an effective physician-patient relationship. A
careful history will also identify the need for diagnostic
studies and treatments as determined by the nature and
severity of the predominant symptoms, and the degree and
extent of influencing psychosocial and other factors.
The fact that definite structural or biochemical
abnormalities for these disorders cannot be detected with
conventional diagnostic techniques does not rule out the
possibility that neurobiological alterations will eventually
be identified to explain fully the symptoms of most
functional disorders. Examples of such a shift in
perspective from symptom-based disorders without
detectable abnormalities to medically treatable diseases
based on specific neurobiological alterations include
affective disorders (depression, anxiety) and migraine
headaches. Similar to other chronic illnesses, a
multicomponent model that involves physiologic,
affective, cognitive, and behavioral factors can be
formulated for IBS. Although all factors are closely
interconnected, the importance of individual factors in the
generation of IBS symptoms may greatly vary between
individuals. Physiologic factors implicated in the
generation of IBS symptoms include hypersensitivity of
the GI tract to normal events, autonomic dysfunction
including altered intestinal motility response to stress and
food intake, alterations in fluid and electrolyte handling by
the bowel, and alterations in sleep.
Many of the traditional therapies have been used to treat
specific IBS symptoms because they have not been shown
to significantly relieve global symptoms, which would
improve an overall sense of well-being. However, the
discovery of novel serotonergic agents such as tegaserod
and alosetron have been shown to be effective in treating
global symptoms in patients with IBS compared with
placebo. More recently published studies evaluating the
efficacy of antidepressants, such as tricyclics and SSRIs,
suggest that these medications may help improve general
well-being in addition to treating psychological comorbidity
in affected individuals but further studies are
needed. Psychological and behavioral therapies have also
been showed to be effective for IBS however it potentially
can be limited by the availability of experienced therapists.
Instituting a multidisciplinary approach using nonpharmacologic
and pharmacologic therapeutic modalities
may result in the most effective outcome. Future studies
will further enhance our understanding of this condition
and lead to newer, more effective treatments.

http://www.ibs.med.ucla.edu/PDFs/IBSReviewArticle.pdf

This has nothing to do with me at all these are not my beliefs, like you use your beliefs, these are evidence based peer reviiew studies on millions of IBS pateints around the world, verse your persceptipn and you called IBS a catch all diagnoses, which is wrong from the start.

And while you may have been helped from diet, many IBSers are not totally helped by diet.

You have no idea what altered motility, viceral hypersensivity, rectal hypersenisvity and altered brain gut axis even means in IBS. Even if candida over growth existed at all, it can't physically cause the SPECIFC CLUTER of IBS symptoms used to diagnose IBS, absent ANY organic diseases.

IBS is NOT an infection, which you don't understand either.

--------------------

#354190 - 01/07/10 11:10 AM
Gerikat

Wow, you are out of control, man. Maybe I should email Heather and co. and get this thread locked.

Re: for Syl new
      #354191 - 01/07/10 11:10 AM
shawneric

PM Martic, just for the info

It is really worth reading this site.

"Stool testing for Ova and Parasites are generally of low yield (0-2%) and the outcome of therapy on symptoms of IBS in patients with parasites is unknown."

http://www.hopkins-gi.org/GDL_Disease.aspx?CurrentUDV=31&GDL_Cat_ID=024CC2E1-2AEB-4D50-9E02-C79825C9F9BF&GDL_Disease_ID=F5E21D6B-A88E-44F9-900F-7E295C50D38B

--------------------

#354192 - 01/07/10 11:19 AM
shawneric

No I am not, you just don't understand the importance of it all no matter what you say here. This is way more important then you possible know and understand.

Gerikat
you do the research and find candida over growth syndrome exists at all and that it has anything to do with IBS and get back to me, I have spent ten years studying IBS in depth with the help of experts all over the world.

You don't understand how very important this really is to begin with.

Go ahead do a serch in Pubmed and see that they gave up on candida overgrowth for IBS in 92, its 2010 and a ton more research has been done, no candida overgrowth syndrome.

You don't call cancer IBS for a major reason, this is the same.

IBS is NOT a catch all diagnoses!!!!!!

ITs a spoecific condition itself and not food allergies, candida over growth,from processed foods ect. You don't understand because you haven't done the intial work to understand it all. Certain conditions also give you specific symptoms, some condition's can cause some symptoms.

Inaccurate information on IBS is just that bad information.

Carolyn, has done no research on IBS, she was decades old on thinking it was a "catch all diagnoses" Its NOT, that is important for people to know to begin with.

Its also not an INfection, candida like that is an infection.

Bad information.

--------------------

#354193 - 01/07/10 11:22 AM
shawneric

he died of a cocaine over dose

--------------------

#354194 - 01/07/10 11:22 AM
Gerikat

It's gonna be Ok Shawn. I emailed Heather, so we can all take the boxing gloves off, drop the Candida thread and move on.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80771

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review