All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Candida
      #353950 - 01/04/10 10:09 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Does anyone out there have experience with or looked into the possibility of having Candida?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Candida new
      #353951 - 01/04/10 10:13 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Yes. I'm currently taking measures against it. It's only been about a month, but I've noticed more improvement than anything else has given me yet.

#353953 - 01/04/10 11:14 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

That was quick...thanks.

Can I ask what "measures"? I see that the diet suggested for (combating) candida has some similarities to the EFI diet; reducing/eliminating fatty foods, processed foods, dairy, caffeine, alcohol etc. as well as using supplements like probiotic acidophillus, soluble fiber and enteric-coated essential oils but there also seems to be some differences being vegetables, claiming that the vegetables that inhibit the growth of candida are: onions, garlic, ginger root, cabbage, broccoli, turnips and kale. Raw onions and garlic are very good natural anti-fungals.

The focus seems to be on eliminating processed refined sugars and bleached flour as it (Candida) thrives on carbohydrates, preserved refined foods and mold. Also foods that contain yeast and gluten.

A good candida diet will avoid yeast products and fermented foods; vinegar, wine, baker's and brewer's yeast. Tempeh and tamari are potential troublemakers. Avoid dairy products except (Live cultured yogurt which helps to replenish your intestinal bacteria). Smoked, dried, pickled or cured foods, mushrooms, nut butter (Except almonds and almond butter), fruit juices, dried or candied fruit and coffee, black tea, caffeine, carbonated drinks and alcohol should be eliminated.
Candida

Do you take a grapefruit seed extract?

An important benefit of grapefruit seed extract is that it is very helpful in alkalizing the blood. Alkalizing the body fluids (raising pH) is one of the single most important health regeneration benefits available as disease cannot survive in an alkaline environment.

I'm not sure what to think as like I mentioned, I'm doing a lot of these things already-proper diet including little fat intake, no dairy, no caffeine and so on as well as taking probiotics. I am guilty however of eating foods with yeast and gluten.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

PMartin new
      #353962 - 01/05/10 07:33 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi Patrick, this Candida page that you link to, what is the website? Thanks

#353966 - 01/05/10 08:38 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Candida naturally live in all of us – in the digestive tract, mouth, and throat. It only becomes a problem when there is overgrowth. Male Candida usually occurs as a skin rash on arms, face, underarms, groin, or the genital region. The sore irritated rash is itchy with tiny blisters. The CDC has a good write-up on Candida.

After more than 25 years of speculation about the role of Candida in IBS no connection has been found by IBS researchers. Here is an excerpt from a letter to the editor in the Journal of Postgraduate Medicine The role of Candida albicans in the pathogenesis of food-intolerant irritable bowel syndrome

Quote:

Middleton and colleagues' are to be congratulated in demonstrating that there is no conclusive link between overgrowth of intestinal Candida albicans and the symptomatology of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).

Sadly, I suspect that the popular health magazines and alternative practitioners who persuade patients that these symptoms are directly linked to the pseudoscience of 'leaky bowels' and Candida toxins' are unlikely to alter their views.

Here is link to an abstract of the study the author was referring to in the letter. The connection between IBS and Candida was dispensed with about 15 years ago.

The role of Candida overgrowth in men is even more tenuous

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353967 - 01/05/10 08:43 AM
DanaDivine

To be honest, I don't like posting on here my own methods to regain my health. It always seemed to get jumped on. You can private message me if you want.

#353968 - 01/05/10 08:46 AM

Unregistered

you can't private message on here. I noticed you deleted me off your myspace and now I can't even message you on myspace because I'm not on your friend list. I have no problem with you. Did I say something wrong? Would you like me to email your email adress and not your myspace?

#353969 - 01/05/10 08:52 AM
DanaDivine

No private messaging? Well, if you want to know what I'm doing for candida PMartin, I can email you.

aperson, please don't take this personally, but I just feel it's better for me not to talk to you on a regular basis. I wish you the best of luck.

#353971 - 01/05/10 08:55 AM

Unregistered

I kinda do take it personally. you probly just don't want to say why you don't like me. Sounds like you don't want to talk.

do you mind me asking,did you think you had a candida problem,if so did you feel a certain way or anything?

would you share how good or bad your ibs is right now or what supplements you are taking? if you wish to discuss this outside the boards my email is m_nice16@hotmail.com

Edited by aperson (01/05/10 08:58 AM)

#353973 - 01/05/10 09:10 AM
CarolynC

Reged: 03/11/08
Loc: Connecticut

I had joined this board a while ago because I had terrible IBS-C with major bloating and other weird symptoms that I knew somehow were all related.(toe nail fungus, headaches, fatigue, bladder irritation, constipation, eczema, sinus problems, ear problems, dry eyes and mouth....my list was long)

After much reading and research on my own, I finally figured out the root of my problem was Candidiasis (Candida).

The cause of the Candida overgrowth is a body filled with toxins which were probably gotten from a variety of sourses. Antibiotics, x-rays, flouride, pain killers etc.... you get the idea. My immune system was running poorly because of insufficient nutrition (probably from childhood), too much processed foods etc... So the Candida began to overgrow.

Despite any reserch theories that may be presented on this thread, I can tell you first hand that IBS and Candida are certainly related. Without a doublt.

Since I have been healing myself with a candida diet (low carb and high in GOOD fats plus ways of helping my body to detoxify itself) and getting my immune system back to par, I have noticed sooooo much improvement. My IBS constipation problem is GONE, my toe nail fungus has been HEALED, and all the other symptoms are slowly fading away.

It's amazing really. It may take a while, but I have found my cure.
I encourage anyone lurking on this board to investigate the possibility that a candida overgrowth is causing thier pain and suffering.

Please feel free to email me at infoiv@innvisions.com if you would like to ask me any questions. I am so happy to share what I have found.

Best wishes to you ALL!

Carolyn

--------------------
IBS-C with bloating and cramps
occasional type A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review