All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
AHHHHH!!!!!
      #35395 - 01/05/04 03:45 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

Major attack this morning...and I have been soo careful. I ate nothing but bread teas and graham crackers yesterday, then this morning I had instant oatmeal with soy milk. I decided to jump in and poured quite a bit of the milk on....I think it made me sick..major cramps and diarrhea...and my stomach has been bloated and painful all day!!! Now I am afraid to drink that milk or try the recipes .....but rice milk has oil in it......Does any one else have this problem with soy??? On the plus side I am not constipated for the moment

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AHHHHH!!!!! new
      #35413 - 01/05/04 05:46 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Could be too much soy if you're not used to it. Could be you can't tolerate oatmeal. Most with IBS can, but there are a few exceptions. Or could have been a combo.

Rice milk is okay if you'd like to try that instead.

#35419 - 01/05/04 06:13 PM
NatHosp

Reged: 11/04/03

Ok, that's a little scary b/c tomorrow morning I plan to try Heather's Blueberry Scottish Oatmeal and now I'm a little skiddish. Although, I have been incorporating soy into my diet recently, so I should be able to handle it. I think I do ok with oatmeal, but I found out the hard way that the instant oatmeal packs are no good. After about a week of eating that it caught up to me and made me sick. Won't do that again.
Mags is right, you may not be able to tolerate the oatmeal. I think it could also be that maybe you are just at a time when it wouldn't have mattered what you ate, you may still have had the attack. That can happen. Just take it easy for a couple days and try to get your system back on track. Like Heather says in her book, watch some trashy TV, read a book, or do something that just takes your mind off of everything that may be causing stess.
GOOD LUCK!!

--------------------
Natalie

#35559 - 01/06/04 04:36 PM
AngelKitty

Reged: 12/31/03

I am feeling fine now..but I ate nothing for a whole day...I was too scared. So here is my question: Oatmeal or soy milk??? I had an attack like that a few weeks ago after eating "real" oatmeal and i thought it was beacuse the real stuff was too much. I had instant last week and was fine...then this. hmmm....i'm just not sure if i should try the milk again or not....but i was all ready to make that dreamy rice pudding recipe since rice pudding is one of my favorites anyway....

#35565 - 01/06/04 05:10 PM
Chelsea22

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Virginia

Hi,

I have to be careful with the quantity of soy milk too. I now make my oatmeal with water and then add brown sugar and sliced banana to it to make it more interesting! I don't really miss having the soy at all. Good luck to you!

Alicia

#35576 - 01/06/04 07:05 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Oatmeal bothers me sometimes, too, and other times I'm fine with it. I don't know why that is. But if you're afraid to try that rice pudding for fear that it's the soy milk bothering you, couldn't you make it with rice milk? I bet it would taste just as good!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#35670 - 01/07/04 10:29 AM
zf

Reged: 01/05/04

Hi, I do great with instant oatmeal, plain, with water, I never ever do good with soy milk or soy cheese, and I have been trying different brands for 3 years. I am going to ask my doctor about it next month; perhaps I am soy intolerant.

#35693 - 01/07/04 11:37 AM
paintlady

Reged: 02/10/03
Loc: Columbia, CA

Hi AK,
Have you tried quick oatmeal?
I add 2 tablespoons of quick(cooks in one minute)oatmeal
add 1/4 cup of water and sap in micro for 1 minute.
Then I add 1/4 cup cooked white rice (I make it the night before)
and stir the white rice into the oatmeal and cook 1 more minute in microwave.
Stir it one more time and then add sliced banana and 1/4 cup of vanilla soymilk (Vitasoy).
**not all soymilks are the same this brand works best for me.
I love this breakfast eat oatmeal almost everyday.
Sometimes don't add the rice, but keep the amount of oatmeal to 2-3 tablespoons.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1006

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review