All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Diet and fructose malabsorption
      #353892 - 01/04/10 04:05 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Recentely I realized my sensitivity to fructose. I was hoping someone could take a look at what I eat moslty and let me know if they think this would be safe..thanks!
Cream Of Farina(original, brown sugar, and maple syrup)
almond drink (unsweetened and sweetened), sweet potatoes, mashed squash, birds eye frozen turnips and butternut squash, thomas' plain bagels. arnold white bread, flour tortillas, grilled chicken, cold cut turkey, Trader JOes water crackers, crumpets, and animal crackers, trader joes chocolate cat cookies, organic cocoa powder, cranberry juice (no fructose with beet sugar? is that ok), organic lemonade, zico coconut water (14 g of natural sugar ok with fructose sensitivity?), pillsbury biscuits, dried pineapple and papaya, pasta, chocolate mate tea, stevia, rice, fruit strips (with apple juice concentrate not really good right?), Trader JOes Pumpkin bread mix, peppermint candies and jelly beans, rice milk, sorbet, Trader JOes Gluten free waffles( fruit juice sweetener one of last ingredients)
Thats the main foods i eat.. any help I would very much appreciate it, this can be confusing!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet and fructose malabsorption new
      #353893 - 01/04/10 04:34 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is a link to a web site with some good information on fructose malabsorption particularly the table at the bottom of the web page. It gives foods safe to eat, eat in moderation and avoid. And here is another good web page at Boston University. The article linked to in my signature has some great information too but it is quite technical.

Here are some coments on your diet. I have made bold the problematic foods.

Cream Of Farina(original, brown sugar, and maple syrup)
almond drink (unsweetened and sweetened), sweet potatoes, mashed squash, birds eye frozen turnips and butternut squash, thomas' plain bagels. arnold white bread, flour tortillas, grilled chicken, cold cut turkey, Trader JOes water crackers, crumpets, and animal crackers, trader joes chocolate cat cookies, organic cocoa powder, cranberry juice (no fructose with beet sugar? is that ok), organic lemonade, zico coconut water (14 g of natural sugar ok with fructose sensitivity?), pillsbury biscuits, dried pineapple and papaya, pasta, chocolate mate tea, stevia, rice, fruit strips (with apple juice concentrate not really good right?), Trader JOes Pumpkin bread mix, peppermint candies and jelly beans, rice milk, sorbet, Trader JOes Gluten free waffles( fruit juice sweetener one of last ingredients)

I cannot tell about some of the commercial foods. It will depend on the ingredients. Apple and pear juice are frequently found in commercially prepared foods so you will have to read the label.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353911 - 01/04/10 11:03 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I just want to add here, even if you don't have fructose malabsorbition, that high consumers of fructose

"Other examples of food substances causing diarrhea would be high consumers of caffeine or alcohol which can stimulate intestinal secretion or with the latter, pull water into the bowel (osmotic diarrhea). The same would be true for overdoing certain poorly absorbed sugars that can cause an osmotic type of diarrhea Sorbitol, found in sugarless gum and sugar substituted foods can also produce such an osmotic diarrhea. Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water. So if you have IBS, all of these food items would make it worse."

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

So even high consumers of fructose who don't even have IBS, could get some d from it, because its not easily absorbed.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#353913 - 01/04/10 11:30 AM
Syl

Shawneric,

Interesting post. However, a short note.

Fructose that is in exact balance with glucose is not a problem. For example, white and brown sugar have exactly the same amount of glucose and fructose. It isn't a problem for IBS. The reason as I explained in a previous posting to you, is that when both sugars occur in equal amounts they are absorbed by the body differently that fructose that is not accompanied by an equal amount of glucose. When they occur in equal amounts the fructose is completely absorbed and metabolized in the liver.

Only the excess fructose, i.e. that is the amount of fructose that is above the amount of glucose, is poorly absorbed.

Also, excess fructose need not cause diarrhea although it can in high enough doses. It can also cause cramps, gas and bloating in IBS-D, IBS-C and IBS-A.

For a more detailed technical example read the article linked to in my signature or read this article Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates. Both articles explain how fructose is absorbed in the GI tract.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#353941 - 01/04/10 06:31 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Thanks so much for your reply. I just had a question as to the frozen turnips and squash. That totally makes sense, I always wondered why mashed squash would make me so sick..but the frozen turnips dont seem to be bad for me. COuld this be because they have added ingredients like soybean oil and brown sugar? Also, the coconut water, is that all fructose the 14 grams of sugar?
Also, another question about sourdough pretzel nibblers, any reason why they would give me slight gas. I feel like all the ingredients are safe right? THis seems to happen every time I eat them though. I feel like salty foods do this, could that be true? thanks again

#353942 - 01/04/10 07:02 PM
Syl

Sometimes the variety makes a difference. I can eat small amounts of butternut squash but not other squashes. I don't eat turnip so I cannot speak from experience. Personally I stay away from foods with soybean oil. The brown sugar should be fine. I would worry more about added spices and onion/garlic powder

I doubt if the all of the sugar in coconut water is fructose. Sometimes you have to try things to figure out what load of fructose you can tolerate. While the test tells you that you cannot handle a 25 gram load it is quite possible that you can handle a few grams of excess fructose. Unfortunately, you can only tell through trial and error.

I looked at the ingredients for the Synder's sourdough pretzel and they look fine. I couldn't find the nibblers. I doubt is salty foods plays much of a role in IBS.

--------------------

#368845 - 12/28/12 05:15 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

what is wrong with turnips, butternut squash, and maple syrup? Is pumpkin considered low fodmap?

please, syl. help with these foods. new
      #368852 - 12/29/12 09:47 AM
Cyndy

I really don't know.

need help, please. will take a minute. new
      #368855 - 12/29/12 10:23 AM
Cyndy

what about coconut oil???? And nuts and nut butters? or almond milk? Or brown rice syrup? rice cheese?

is there a reason you are avoiding me, Syl? new
      #368857 - 12/29/12 11:57 AM
Cyndy

I am asking for help. And not getting any replies, even though you have been logged on a few times. Please help.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1991 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8427

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review