All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bananas and Yogurt
      #353824 - 01/03/10 10:30 AM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I follow the EFI diet and recently added some restrictions of FODMAP's. This included just about every fruit and vegetable regardless of its EFI (soluble vs. insoluble fiber) status. This didn't result in any groundbreaking improvements but I guess one just gets accustomed to what and how they eat if you do it for any length of time. But I just came across the following
http://ibs.about.com/od/diarrhea/tp/DiarrheaFoodsAvoid.htm with this excerpt being of particular interest...

...Bananas are bland and easily digested, bananas are a good choice to settle an upset digestive system. The high level of potassium in bananas helps to replace electrolytes that may be lost by severe bouts of diarrhea. Bananas are also rich in pectin, a soluble fiber that helps to absorb liquid in the intestines and thus move stool along smoothly. Bananas also contain a good amount of inulin, another soluble fiber. Inulin is a prebiotic - a substance that promotes the growth of beneficial bacteria (probiotics) in the intestinal system.

Just wondering if you (anyone) would agree with this? And what about yogurt? From this page as well...

...It is generally recommended that dairy products should be avoided during acute diarrhea episodes. Yogurt is a major exception to this rule. Look for yogurt that contains live or active cultures, or more specifically Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum. These active cultures are probiotics and they appear to help to establish a healthier balance of bacteria in the digestive tract.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bananas and Yogurt new
      #355177 - 02/02/10 01:09 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Interesting points here. I hope someone can give us feedback. I'm so confused.

#355179 - 02/02/10 01:55 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Hmmm I find bananas a tricky one.Sometimes they seem to settle well and other times not so much.I suppose that it depends on the ripeness.Bananas seem to be a good choice all around though.

Instead of eating yogurt though...you can take acidophilus in pill form.Some don't like or can't tolerate yogurt.I do find my guts don't act up as much if I eat yogurt on a daily basis.But I do also take acidophilus occasionally.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#355181 - 02/02/10 03:04 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check Table 1 in Presence of Inulin and Oligofructose in the Diets of Americans. Notice the mid-point value for inulin in banana is 0.5 grams / 100 grams of raw banana. This is very small compared to the amount in Chicory root (41.6 gr), Jerusalem artichoke (13.5 gr), onion (4.3 gr), leeks (6.5 gr), asparagus (2.5 gr) and wheat (2.5 gr).

Inulin is a fructan, a rapidly fermenting soluble fiber and a prebiotic. In larger amounts like the amount taken in Jerusalem artichokes or a soluble fiber supplement it is know to be problematic for many IBSers cause gas, cramps and/or discomfort (see Heather's comments on inulin).

I have difficulties with inulin in some foods but not the amount in 1/2 banana that I eat each morning. It is a great soluble fiber especially when it is a bit on the green side of yellow. I cannot eat them ripe bananas because the fructose content is higher due to starch breakdown.

Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium bifidum are excellent probiotics that are available in a variety of forms including soy yogurt and capsule. There is no need to get from yogurt.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355192 - 02/03/10 05:14 AM
dragonfly

"I have difficulties with inulin in some foods but not the amount in 1/2 banana that I eat each morning. It is a great soluble fiber especially when it is a bit on the green side of yellow. I cannot eat them ripe bananas because the fructose content is higher due to starch breakdown. "

Thats interesting because I have mor eof a problem when they are greener.I have been having gas and bloating problems this week(thought I was pregnant I am so bloated)
I ate half a ripe banana and the gas and stomach pain subsided.

C

--------------------

#355193 - 02/03/10 06:01 AM
Syl

Perhaps we are talking about the same thing. A half ripe banana is yellow with some green. I eat this ripeness of banana. A green banana is hard to digest - it tastes raw because it contains little sugar. A yellow-brown banana is quite ripe and sweeter because the starch has been changed to sugars. I have troubles with ripe bananas.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#355218 - 02/04/10 06:14 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So, ripe bananas don't bother you?

Re: Bananas and Yogurt...no new
      #355222 - 02/04/10 07:54 AM
dragonfly

Have you thought about using bananas in a muffin mix?
I make alot of banana bread...not that I actually get any with three kids and a husband....you have to be quick in this house

--------------------

Edited by dragonfly (02/04/10 07:56 AM)

So is it Unripe (green) for D and ripe for C? new
      #355255 - 02/04/10 02:30 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Whenever I've eaten bananas they always seem to upset me (I'm more D)but I'm now wondering if its because I was eating them when they were ripe/over ripe because I thought thats how we were supposed to have them? Then when I found out they contain inulin I thought it might be that because I've always had bad reactions to it. I'm confused?????

Re: So is it Unripe (green) for D and ripe for C? new
      #355258 - 02/04/10 02:44 PM
Syl

Bananas contain a very small amount of inulin especially compared to foods like onions, leeks and Jerusalem artichokes (sun-chokes). I cannot handle the latter at all and for sure soluble fiber supplements containing inulin are a definite no-no for me. Each morning I eat 1/2 of a "just ripe yellow-green banana" that is a banana that when peeled is still firm but soft with no brown spots. I don't eat bananas that are getting brown and sweet because they upset my GI tract. :

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 703 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review