All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Constipation Is Worse Than Ever
      #353758 - 01/02/10 11:10 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

A few weeks ago, I decided that I had had enough of the Oat Bran and Applesauce disguisting mix I was having for cereal.
This had been my breakfast for FIVE years.

It's gross, it tastes nasty, and it makes me hungry an hour later due to the high GI index.

People on this board also felt Oat Bran was a trigger, so I have been for a week experimenting with
1) Quick Oats (flavored it with sugar)
2) Organic Instant Oatmeal (which contains organic whole grain rolled oats).

The results have been awful. I am backed up, the stools when I go are really dreadful, nothing like they used to be.

1) I don't get it, I am resigned to having this disguisting mixture as my breakfast forever now or else having horrible bowel movements?
-What gives, I thought Quick Oats or Instant Oatmeal was a safer food (according to people on this board) than Oat Bran with Applesauce?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Did you start the antibiotics on Jan 1? -nt- new
      #353760 - 01/02/10 11:33 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Constipation Is Worse Than Ever new
      #353761 - 01/02/10 11:41 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Naturopanic, if I am in a cycle of C and I have tried everything, bran does the trick (after much experimentation). It works for me. I buy Bran Buds, use about 1/4 cup with a milk and banana, and I go the next day like clockwork. It tastes nasty too, but it is a very small amount, and then I may follow it up with an egg, blender drink, fruit salad, or bagel.

#353762 - 01/02/10 11:57 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Naturopanic, if I am in a cycle of C and I have tried everything, bran does the trick (after much experimentation). It works for me. I buy Bran Buds, use about 1/4 cup with a milk and banana, and I go the next day like clockwork. It tastes nasty too, but it is a very small amount, and then I may follow it up with an egg, blender drink, fruit salad, or bagel.

1) Why is it that Bran does the trick while others (Quick Oats, Instant Oatmeal) do not?
-Others here warned to stay away from Bran....why is it then it works best for a movement for you and I?

2) Do you have this daily?

3) I would usually have it daily...mix it with applesauce. It just is really hard after awhile to eat such a nasty breakfast daily...why can't quick oats work.

Syl...given the unrest...no...I'd rather get more stable then begin.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353764 - 01/02/10 12:02 PM
Gerikat

I guess it is that everyone is different. The same thing you hear all the time. Bran does work for me and it is the only thing that will work. I don't eat the Bran Buds daily because I hate the darn taste, but if I am really blocked I eat that for awhile and I go every day. So, if something works for you, then why not stick with it.

I always add something else to my breakfast since the cereal is only 1/4 a cup. I cannot do oatmeal. I bloat up like a balloon. It took me some time to figure out that the oatmeal was the problem.

Bran Buds does not bloat me or cause me grief, so I continue to use them. HTH

#353804 - 01/02/10 04:31 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Everyone has a different tolerance for IF. Maybe you are like me and can tolerate more. I still don't like oat bran, but I recommend working more IF into your meals and upping your SFS for sure. Also drink more and this C will go away.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#353812 - 01/02/10 09:25 PM
Naturapanic

1) So does this mean I am forced to have Oat Bran and Applesauce for breakfast forever?
-Isn't there anything else or anything I can put in it so it has flavor? God it tastes so nasty and I'm hungry an hour later.

2) The other thing I notice, it seems I have to eat Frozen Spinach. If I eat Green Beans/Peas...they do nothing. Frozen Spinach though tastes AWFUL!

I just think it's unfair I seem stuck for life to be eating Oat Bran with Applesauce and Frozen Spinach daily or else face having constipation.

3) So you think I should gradually up my SFS supplement of Benefiber from 2 tsp to 6 tsps?

I can also up Jarrowdophillus from 2 to 3 pills a day.

Should these normally help?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353813 - 01/02/10 11:05 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

I'm jumping in here in the middle and don't know the beginning, butI feel for you.

I was always "D" until a few years ago and now am "A". "C" is horrible and while "D" renders you housebound many times, I believe the pain, cramping and bloating with "C" is much worse than "D" - for me.

Many people on here gave me advice when I first started the "C" flare. If you search for that thread, you will find lots of different remedies.

I have difficulty with oat bran, so that did not work for me. While I can't tell you exactly what always works, I can tell you some things that seem to cause it for me... lots of carbs, too little exercies, too little water and even sometimes eggs.

Fruit first thing in the AM - not applesauce because that's what I eat (w/ a bagel) to stop the "D"(i.e. applesauce for "D" and apples for "C"), but something like diced peaches or a fresh peach or pear or even yogurt, sometimes helps me - massaging my stomach and abdomen help, getting up, moving around for about an hour first thing in AM helps, someone recommended hot tea with sorghum molasses in it and it is nasty, but did help. If you can tolerate it, there's something about eating something sweet in the AM, that seems to trigger a BM...

I can have "D" for a week and then suddenly, the next day, not go at all. Then - my mind takes over and starts worrying... "oooops, didn't go today...same second day..." But, I've found, if I will quit thinking about it and try to eat right - fruits and veggies, prefaced by some SF - like sourdough bread - then, out of the blue, I'll go.

I think I have slow motility, because, it just isn't "there" until it's time. I know because I also have wonderful "hemmies" and a dear person on here was kind enough to "bare all" and give me some remedies such as - lubricating my anal area with vaseline prior to a BM to prevent bleeding. The same procedure is good for constipation, if you have hard stools, because it kind of stimulates the peristalic??? action. But, some times, as I've said, the stool just has not moved far enough down...

OK - enough potty talk! I told my friend, I think I'm the only person who prays to go to the bathroom and thanks God the days I do go. Having said all this, I've had 3 weeks of nothing but urgent "D", to the point I was scared to leave the house if I ate anything. Then, suddenly, today, I'm bloated and can't go..... That's the story of IBS.

I'll say a prayer for you too... But, check out the entire thread regarding constipation...

((Hugs)) - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

#353814 - 01/03/10 05:58 AM
Syl

Naturapanic,

You may have to slow down the number of changes you are making. It is best to make one change, stick with for at least a week or 10 days and let you body adjust. The bacteria in your colon need time to adjust especially when you are changing sources or amounts of dietary fiber. Sometimes with changes or increases in fiber you may experience an increase in bloating and gas for a few days. You have to let time pass before making a judgement.

Are you taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber per day? I believe the label says 2 teaspoons three times a day.

For IBS-C you have to get your dietary fiber intake - soluble and insoluble fiber - up to 30-40 grams per day or even higher. So source suggest for IBS-C you may to get up to 50-60 grams per days of dietary fiber from your diet. Taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber three times a day only gives you an additional 10.5 grams from SFS.

You don't have to be stuck with Oat Bran and Applesauce. If you think oat bran is good for you then buy pure oat bran add a small amount (1/4/-1/2 teaspoon) to regular oatmeal and add berries or banana.

Add more probiotic is not likely to gain you a significant improvement. And Jarro-dophillus while it is a good general probiotic it has not been shown to be effective for IBS.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#353816 - 01/03/10 08:45 AM
Gerikat

Naturopanic,

When I have the Bran Buds for breakfast, I always add some kind of protein, or I would be hungry like you, an hour later. Protein seems to regulate my blood sugar. Can you tolerate egg whites? Sometimes too many carbs for breakfast without some kind of lean protein, will cause you to be hungry an hour later. I don't think you will have to eat this kind of breakfast for the rest of your life. Obviously, your emotionally upset about it, so that alone is not helping the IBS. When I have the Bran Buds, I look forward to whatever I will have after them. They taste nasty too, but they do help me very much with the C.

So, are you saying only frozen spinach will help you go to the bathroom? You know fresh baby spinach is very good, and you can combine that in soups or stews. There are ways to doctor up the spinach so that it tastes better to you. I take it that maybe you don't cook? There are many spinach recipes out there, if you are willing to try.

And lastly, SFS have never helped me, but that is just me. I also find that if I do too many white carbs like bread, pasta, rices, etc., I become plugged up. So, as far as the Benefiber, I can't answer that since I do not use SFS. Have you tried eating more IF?

I do take a probiotic as you do. I tried Align for a brief period of time, and it was pretty much useless. I went back to OTC Digestive Advantage and that helps tremendously with the bloating.

And I don't mean to sound rude, but IBS is unfair as you say, however you have to make the best of it. Attitude is half the battle. We sound alot alike in how our bodies process foods. Do you work on other aspects such as exercise, hypnosis, meditation, etc? All of these help the mind and attitude. That is much more the issue for me than the food.

I hope this helps some and believe me I do know and share your discomfort.

#353875 - 01/03/10 06:16 PM
Little Minnie

I agree that you should be taking more SFS. I have been getting toward C lately as if I am aging and heading that way and I upped my acacia to two heaping tablespoons or more. It definitely helps.

Now you see what I mean about the need for IF. People are too scared of it and now you see your greater need of it. I still don't think you should use an IF grain alone like just oat bran. I prefer to have instant oats with nuts and dried fruit for more IF. Maybe you could try that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#353878 - 01/03/10 07:06 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

For IBS-C you have to get your dietary fiber intake - soluble and insoluble fiber - up to 30-40 grams per day or even higher. So source suggest for IBS-C you may to get up to 50-60 grams per days of dietary fiber from your diet. Taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber three times a day only gives you an additional 10.5 grams from SFS.

You don't have to be stuck with Oat Bran and Applesauce. If you think oat bran is good for you then buy pure oat bran add a small amount (1/4/-1/2 teaspoon) to regular oatmeal and add berries or banana.

Add more probiotic is not likely to gain you a significant improvement. And Jarro-dophillus while it is a good general probiotic it has not been shown to be effective for IBS.

1) I was taking 1 teaspoon of Benefiber twice daily.
2) I was having 1 teaspoon of Oat Bran with a bowl of applesauce as my breakfast.

I really feel overmatched...I don't know how to eat more fiber...I tried regular and even Quick Oats and those seemed to not work.
I am almost wondering if what I am going through...which is the worst stretch in FIVE years is due to Align...even though I was on it less than 2 weeks and have been off of it for nearly a week.

3) What probiotic then HAS been shown to work with IBS? Ever other one besides Jarrow I try (VSL/Align) fails.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353879 - 01/03/10 07:09 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

And I don't mean to sound rude, but IBS is unfair as you say, however you have to make the best of it. Attitude is half the battle. We sound alot alike in how our bodies process foods. Do you work on other aspects such as exercise, hypnosis, meditation, etc? All of these help the mind and attitude. That is much more the issue for me than the food.

I hope this helps some and believe me I do know and share your discomfort.

It's not my attitude...I have had IBS for a long time and the last month has been the worst in FIVE years.
I have no idea what is going on...all I can think is this is some adverse reaction to me switching to Align from Jarrowdophillus (which what my GI doc said).
Even though I was Align only 1.5 week and have been off it almost a week.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353880 - 01/03/10 07:13 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I agree that you should be taking more SFS. I have been getting toward C lately as if I am aging and heading that way and I upped my acacia to two heaping tablespoons or more. It definitely helps.

Now you see what I mean about the need for IF. People are too scared of it and now you see your greater need of it. I still don't think you should use an IF grain alone like just oat bran. I prefer to have instant oats with nuts and dried fruit for more IF. Maybe you could try that.

I know the need for IF but I have no idea how get the recommened amount.
I tried oatmeal....it did not work...it makes me even more dry and bloated.
Green Beans...don't do much.
This is really frustrating...maybe if there was a fiber I could actually eat it would help.

I have no idea what to do...none.
More fiber....what does that mean?

I eat saled...bloated...backed up.
Oatmeal....bloated...backed up.
Nuts....bloated.....backed up.
How am I supposed to get more fiber when everytime I try it gets worse?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353881 - 01/03/10 07:15 PM
Naturapanic

In cases like this...with very bad C....would taking milk of magnesia be a good idea?
I can not keep feeling this way.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353887 - 01/03/10 08:23 PM
Gerikat

Sorry Natuopanic, I didn't mean to cause upset. I am in a severe cycle of C right now. also. I guess I am going to have to get the Bran Buds. Hopefully, that will work again.

This cycle of C seemed to coincide with my mother's illness, so I am thinking that is part of it.

I had to go off Align also. It was useless for me, and it was costing alot. I have never heard of Jarrowdophillus, but maybe that is something I will give a try.

I have had IBS a lifetime, so I know that some periods can be more trying than others. I hope that you find your answers.

#353896 - 01/04/10 05:50 AM
Syl

Quote:

1) I was taking 1 teaspoon of Benefiber twice daily.

The instructions on the label of the original Benefiber say 12 yrs. to adult 2 teaspoons 3 times daily . I presume you are not taking the orange flavoured version because it contains aspartame and lactose (milk).

Constipation is not a known side effect of Align. If you have tried Align and VSL#3 then probiotics may not be the answer for you. They don't work for everyone.

What fruits and veggies are you eating to get your soluble and insoluble fiber from other than from Benefiber?

--------------------

#353918 - 01/04/10 11:55 AM
Naturapanic

-I have a bowl of applesauce in the morning with Oat Bran mixed in (anything else...I will not go).

-I have frozen spinach at dinner...but it I rarely finish the bowl because it tastes so nasty (anything else...green beans/peas do not work)

So I am really out of idea.
I need fast microwavable things...but outside of frozen spinach nothing work.

What about Natural Calm or Milk of Magnesium?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353919 - 01/04/10 12:02 PM
Syl

Are you saying that the only fruit and veggies you eat are applesauce in the morning and frozen spinach at dinner?

If that is all the fiber you are eating then you really aren't getting enough fiber in your diet. You need at least two servings of veggies/fruit with lunch and supper.

Give natural calm a try. Others on this board claim it works for them.

--------------------

#353936 - 01/04/10 05:20 PM
Little Minnie

Every so often a little MOM or Phillips chews isn't horrible. It is bad to take too often. Another option for occassional use is Miralax. Taking more SFS and drinking more will help in the long run. Just want to ask; you don't take PM meds like Tyl PM do you?

--------------------

#353939 - 01/04/10 05:34 PM
Little Minnie

You could add lots of good choices. I don't recommend apples, pears, grapes or melons, but citrus, bananas, pineapple, peaches, mangoes are great for snacks. Canned fruit or fruit cocktail in light syrup or juice is great and easily digestible.
For veggies stay away from anything raw for now, and don't do corn, peppers, onions, broccoli, cauli, cabbage yet. Try the green beans in the fresh micro bag in produce, frozen peas and even snap peas, asparagus, well cooked fennel, well cooked greens beyond the spinach you already do, carrots, parsnips, squash, sweet potatoes. Check the frozen dept for quick veggie choices. Make some homemade guacamole.

Also at this point IMO you have to concentrate on getting regular and then the bloating and ickiness that comes with it. You don't, however, want to backlash with too much of the real laxative stuff like prunes, wheat bran, bran muffins, Fiber One products, or anything like that.
Try hot herbal teas and a heating pad. There is something about the hot tea that encourages poo. Also it helps get more fluids in pretty easily. You are getting exercise which is good. I know it is hard to figure out safe foods when you don't cook much and want life easy and normal.

My husband says try a big bowl of cheerios or life before bed.

--------------------

#354062 - 01/05/10 09:07 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Are you saying that the only fruit and veggies you eat are applesauce in the morning and frozen spinach at dinner?
Quote:

Yes.

Quote:

Give natural calm a try. Others on this board claim it works for them.

How can natural calm help when it is not designed primarily for Constipation?
Wouldn't Milk of Magnesia/Mirialax/Lactulose be better?

Quote:

Every so often a little MOM or Phillips chews isn't horrible. It is bad to take too often. Another option for occassional use is Miralax. Taking more SFS and drinking more will help in the long run. Just want to ask; you don't take PM meds like Tyl PM do you?

No Tyl PM or similar meds.

Which is better...MOM/Miralax/Lactulose/Natural Calm given the circumstances...I can get either?

Quote:

I don't recommend apples, pears, grapes or melons, but citrus, bananas, pineapple, peaches, mangoes are great for snacks. Canned fruit or fruit cocktail in light syrup or juice is great and easily digestible.

Heather's EFI diet says to have apples/peaches/pears if canned...and NOT to have citrus or pinneapple.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354064 - 01/05/10 09:18 PM
Naturapanic

I suppose what I really want to know, what is really setting me off and making me quite worried is

1) WHY am I suddenly feeling this way...why isn't it getting better...and when will it?

I have been following IBS rules for 5 years and it never has gotten to this extent and for this length of time.
Usually I might have a relapse but by now, the body has recovered and bounced back to relative comfort.
This time around, that is not the case.

Now if I did a colon cleanse or something I can see.
The only thing I did was:

1) Prep for bacterial test (no probiotic for 2 week and no benefiber for 1 week)....and this test was a month ago
2) Switched to Align for 1.5 week after the test was done. After which for the last week I have been back on Jarrowdophillus Acidophillus.
-I also tinkered and went off Oat Bran for a week...but have been back on Oat and Bran and applesauce for a week.

I would have figured with almost a week supplementing and easting "back to normal" my body would be almost recovered.
It's not.
Yes I still go and take dump...but I do not let gas nearly as much, the stool movements are not as regular nor as lumpy, and many times during the day I feel like my whole body is just stuck.

I got 8.3% bodyfat...and yet my stomach is swelled and bloated like I am pregnant or just ate a pizza.
I just do not get why after all these years I am in such a desperate state.

I'd feel better if I knew this was just due to the combo of prepping for my test+taking align and that all should subside soon.
I'm just not getting that signal and it is very distressing.

I do not know who to turn to?
I mean, should I go and see a doctor about the constipation...I can't live this way...it's just not fair...I did not do anything to provocate this...I diet hard...I eat clean...I pay extra close attention.
I'm starting to wonder what I did to deserve this and if I will ever come out because right now, the normal remedies and measures I take
(Heathers EFI diet+Benefiber+Jarrows) my regular diet and supplements which have always gotten decent results aren't.

1) Is there any reason why I am still so far worse off?
This really makes no sense that suddenly I had this awful relapse.
Could prepping for the bacterial test+stopping oat bran w/applesauce+trying align be to blame...still?
Thoe most panicking part is not knowing why this is going on...I have been following my body closely for 5 years and never seen it this bad, for this long, and would like, if possible, some explanation so I know it will be ok.
This constant feeling of feeling constipated/bloated and backed despite the same diet is really, really irritating me.

I'm at a loss and don't know if this is something which will run it's course, if I need to see a doctor (and even then...what kind of DR.? Should I even see an MD or a homepathic?)

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354073 - 01/06/10 05:54 AM
Syl

Quote:

I mean, should I go and see a doctor about the constipation

If you have talked to a GI specialist about the constipation problem then you definitely should. Where you originally diagnosed with IBS by a GI doctor? Did a GI doctor prescribe the SIBO test and the antibiotics? What did that doctor have to say about your constipation?

Good luck

--------------------

#354076 - 01/06/10 06:02 AM
Syl

Quote:

Heather's EFI diet says to have apples/peaches/pears if canned...and NOT to have citrus or pinneapple

Up to 50% of IBSers have problems with these fruits because they have excess fructose (more fructose than glucose). In these individuals these fruits which are also frequently canned in apple or pear juice can cause bloating, gas, bowel spasms and sometimes D if there is enough excess fructose. You might remove these fruits including applesauce from your diet for two weeks and stick with citrus fruits and berries and see if this reduces some of the bloating and C. These fruits don't have excess fructose and they are a good source of fiber when eaten with a good soluble fiber base.

--------------------

#354143 - 01/06/10 07:39 PM
Little Minnie

As for MOM or Miralax. I would do MOM once and see what happens. Up the SFS and wait. Then if one or two times using MOM and more SFS don't do it then try Miralax. A lot of people like Miralax. I haven't used it being I get D.

Heather's site does not say to never eat citrus or pineapple. It says those fruits have more IF than SF but if you eat them after a SF food like a banana or a mango they are very tolerable. Grapes, melons, apples and pears give people gas (including hub who doesn't have IBS). Citrus, tropical fruits, canned peaches are the easiest fruits to digest IMO. The easiest veggies IMO are cooked greens, peas, beans, asparagus, root veggies, squash. You need to eat fruits and veggies with IF in them, mixed with some SF foods. It is great for C!

--------------------

#354287 - 01/08/10 03:00 PM
Naturapanic

I was under the impression this was what I should eat for fruits:

Eat
Canned peaches/pears/fruit cocktail/NATURAL applesauce

Avoid
Pinneaple (even if canned)
Orange
Watermelon
Raw apple

----------------------------------------------------------
1) So basically in order to UP my fiber...what kinds of fruits can I eat?
-Canned peaches/pears/fruit cocktail/mango/papya
-Sliced honeydew or regular melons
-Strawberries/blueberries
-???????

Which ones to avoid?
-Are canned pinnapples safe?
-What about canned strawberry/blueberry in syrup with NO HFCS (just sugar and water...excellent dessert)

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354295 - 01/08/10 03:19 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Quote:

I mean, should I go and see a doctor about the constipation

If you have talked to a GI specialist about the constipation problem then you definitely should. Where you originally diagnosed with IBS by a GI doctor? Did a GI doctor prescribe the SIBO test and the antibiotics? What did that doctor have to say about your constipation?

Good luck

The GI doc did the diagnosis and prescribe the SIBO test and anti-biotics.

I am not trying to figure out the next move.
I have felt better the last two days.
This coincides with the 1 week anniversery of being off Align and being back on Jarrowphillus and having Oat Bran+Applesauce.
Coincidence?

I instantly felt an improvement when I had some gas released from my stomach.
I can see a direct tie between Trapped Gas and Bloating...the trapped gas caused this.

This has me very concerned about what to do next.
Among them, here are my questions.

1) Could Align have caused this?
2) Should I even take the rifaxmin....that would surely cancel out the jarrowophillus and I am afraid it might cause the same problem as the Align might have done?

3) I want to see a Dr. The Question, what's best for me. Should I see the GI Dr OR should I go a new approach and have it treated naturally?
-The GI Dr I see is no longer in network...it will cost me considerable more to see
-Here is a link to what I was considering
http://www.naturalhealthct.com/index.htm
Your thoughts?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354303 - 01/08/10 04:04 PM
Little Minnie

There is no fruit you can't eat. They contain no red meat, fat or dairy. If you are fructose sensitive like Syl and others you have to avoid apples, pears, melons, grapes. But for anyone not very fructose intolerant you can eat any fruit as long as you eat the IF fruit after SF.

The SF fruits are:
bananas
mangos
papayas
canned peaches
applesauce

the fruits quite tolerable after SF are:
pineapple
any berries
peaches/nectarines
citrus fruit

the fruits that cause gas (I eat these in small amounts after SF but much less than the other fruits)
apples
pears
grapes
melons
grapes and melons are yummy but I find they are my touchiest fruits. as I said I eat less of them.

Another reminder to all:
the IF foods on the IF list insoluble fiber caution page are to be eaten with caution not avoided totally.
Quote:

Heather says: One glance will tell you these insoluble fiber foods are the best (and tastiest) around, but your colon simply can't handle it if you eat them with abandon. You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem.

People with C would have a lot better luck if they re-read this page as often as needed. I think it will help. Good luck!

--------------------

#354320 - 01/09/10 05:15 AM
Syl

1) Could Align have caused this?

Possibly but unlikely. It could just be a coincidence. C is not a known side effect of Align.

2) Should I even take the rifaxmin....that would surely cancel out the jarrowophillus and I am afraid it might cause the same problem as the Align might have done?

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell until you take the antibiotics. Who knows you may be one of the IBSers that actually has SIBO.

3) I want to see a Dr. The Question, what's best for me. Should I see the GI Dr OR should I go a new approach and have it treated naturally?

Personally, I think every IBSers needs a good GP. A good GP usually knows a good GI doctor to recommend. A naturopath doctor can be used to provide alternative support if desired.

Oh - by the way - apparently bloating and distention are consider to be different things. Visceral hypersensitivity contributes to the sensation of bloating but not distention. Only 1/2 of individuals that experience bloating show a measurable amount of distention. Distention is more prevalent in IBS-C. The cause of both are poorly understood. Gut directed hypnotherapy is an effective way to control IBS bloating. Its effectiveness on abdominal distention has yet to be assessed. Have you tried gut directed hypnotherapy such as the CDs Heather sells?

--------------------

#354351 - 01/09/10 04:10 PM
Naturapanic

LM:

-When you refer to fruits, do you mean "canned" or raw?
-In other words...if I have canned apples (the kind you put in a pie)...is that still IF?
In other words...if I have canned pinneaples/apples/peaches/citrus fruits...are they still just as big a risk?

Syl:
-GI doc said if you take Align BEFORE taking Rifax...it can cause worsening because it adds more bacteria to the gut before clearing out the bad stuff....sound right to you?

-What's the difference between bloating and distenstion?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354352 - 01/09/10 04:11 PM
Naturapanic

Oh...and somebody told me to have Ginger Ale or Club soda.
Is it true...does this work well for releasing trapped gas?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354356 - 01/09/10 07:32 PM
Little Minnie

I don't recommend apples. You can get fresh, frozen or canned fruits. As long as you have some SF with them they don't need to be canned. Remember avoid apples, pears, grapes and melons (for now). Canned fruits definitely are lower in IF but I think it would be good to try a banana followed by a grapefruit or pineapple instead of just eating more SF fruits. You should increase IF remember?
BTW you asked what I eat and I don't think I ever responded. I eat oatmeal for B this time of year and smoothies with soy milk/soy yogurt and fruit in the summer.
I eat a snack bar of some kind, almonds, banana, grapefruit or pineapple for morning snack much of the time. Or instead of almonds I will have a soy cheese stick.
I eat leftovers for lunch or a sweet potato with some IF like veggies or nuts or a boca burger or lots of different things.
for afternoon snack I have a banana and an orange or peach or something like that.
That's on work days and I am hungry in the AM after exercise and sometimes eat even more for snacks in the AM. Non work days I might have a PB&J for snack or if farming I'll eat bananas and lots of snack bars or baked goods that are quick and easy. Sometimes I have a banana with PB and raisins/craisins on it.
Adding IF is a personal thing. For me IF of fruits, cooked veggies and nuts is much easier than IF of grains or raw veggies.

Distension is the thing many doctors don't believe we get so bad. It is the starving child huge belly thing. Bloating is more what is inside and distension is that it sticks out. My GI doc was amazed at how much my stomach grows in size when bloated. Docs just don't believe it can be so big.

--------------------

#354364 - 01/09/10 07:55 PM
Naturapanic

What's best/easiest for me is to get canned/frozen fruit (since I live solo) as it's cheaper and easier to prepare/preserve and not waste.

In that case if I eat canned/frozen:
-apples/applesauce/peaches/pears/mango/papya/fruit cocktail/strawberries/blueberries/cranberries/pinneapples

Am I doing a good job of both getting IF fiber into my diet and doing it safely (since it is canned not uncooked raw?)

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354368 - 01/10/10 04:15 AM
Syl

"GI doc said if you take Align BEFORE taking Rifax...it can cause worsening because it adds more bacteria to the gut before clearing out the bad stuff"

Does not make sense to me. What does make sense is that it would be a waste of money to take Align and the antibiotic at the same time because the antibiotic would likely kill the Align bacteria.

Bloating is the perception of fullness due to visceral hypersensitivity. Distenstion is the physical extension of grith which can be measured using a plethysmography. Bloating is not always accompanies by distenstion.

--------------------

#354513 - 01/13/10 10:28 PM
Naturapanic

I still am not understanding what the difference is, I do not if I had bloating or distenstion.

Here is what I will say. The last few days have been better. I have somewhat more looser stools, more gas, and a more tight stomach.

This makes me wonder if my worsening of symptoms was caused by taking Align.

If so, I am very concerned about following the Dr's advice...which was to go on Rifaxmin...then Align.
She claims Rifax has few side effects...but since I will NOT be on acidophillus then...that in itself could cause problems.

Somebody else told me when I go on Rifaxmin to take Culturell during that time and then go back to acidophillus...since Culturell can withstand the anti-biotic.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#354520 - 01/14/10 05:22 AM
Syl

Bloating is perceived in your brain as fullness as a results of changes in visceral sensitivity. Bloating may or may not be associated with distention. Distention is a measurable change in girth i.e the distance around a person's body.

Constipation is not a known side effect of Align

All antibiotics have potential side effects including Rifaxmin. Less serious side effects may be more likely to occur are:
•bloating, gas, stomach pain;
•feeling like you need to empty your bowel urgently;
•feeling like your bowel is not completely empty;
•nausea, vomiting, constipation;
•headache;
•fever;
•vaginal itching or discharge; or
•mild itching or skin rash

Culturell contains Lactobacillus GG. It will not withstand the antibiotic. It will with stand stomach acid.

Could it be that you have been feeling better the last few days because you increased your fiber consumption?

--------------------

#355165 - 02/02/10 07:37 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

So, oranges would be okay?

#355167 - 02/02/10 08:42 AM
Little Minnie

Oranges are a great food, as long as you have a little SF with them. They are low in fructose too!

--------------------

#355185 - 02/02/10 05:16 PM
Naturapanic

I thought we should AVOID oranges and OJ due to citrus?
I haven't had them in a long time.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Thanks, good to know!-nt new
      #355219 - 02/04/10 06:17 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

#355317 - 02/05/10 04:55 PM
Little Minnie

Oranges are great. They don't even have high fructose so Syl can be happy too. I eat a banana and an orange in the afternoon; the orange after the banana. I also eat a banana, a bar of somekind and a grapefruit in the morning for break. I love winter citrus. Note I eat them after the SF from a banana.

--------------------

Re: HAVE U BEEN TESTED FOR CELIAC? new
      #355325 - 02/05/10 05:57 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

The problem with Oats is suspect...might wanna get tested..could be the source of your problems

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1323 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21452

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review