All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Disability ran out
      #353163 - 12/11/09 03:13 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Well I got my last state disability check today. They said my benefits have been exhausted. I have been on it for one yr. So now what is one to do? I am still waiting on some tests and my doctor extended my disability until January and said we would go from there but I guess we won't. So does anyone know what if anything can I do? I am thinking I will just not be on anything until I am able to return to work and that will depend on my tests results on what route we will be going. I don't think you can get any type of social security disability for ibs can you? Anyone ever been in this position? I have to say I am very thankful I was approved for the state.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Disability ran out new
      #353192 - 12/14/09 01:19 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

You can look into working from home doing customer service - all you need is a phone and a computer. It's better than disability.

Re: Disability ran out/Taroh73 new
      #353213 - 12/15/09 07:29 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I could do something like that, and yes it does beat disability. How do I get started in something like that? Thanks for the idea

#354915 - 01/27/10 02:42 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I was on state disability for a year (California). I then collected workers comp and then went on Social Security disability - all based upon my IBS. I had a gastro recommended to me by my lawyer who wrote several letters for me about my disability (IBS). Binder and Binder were my disability advocates. I was on disability until I reached age 65 and 10 months (my Social Security retirement age).

The only thing I was not able to collect was on my disability policy at my work at the time. Erisa has some unfair provisions governing these policies which require proof of disability. Diagnosis by exclusion (at that time) was not considered sufficient.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355134 - 02/01/10 02:30 AM
capricorn1942

i had all the tests - colonoscopy, endoscopy, blood work, etc. the gastro who treated me was one who worked with lawyers as an expert witness and was recommended by a lawyer (who i paid a $1000 retainer - that's all). he wrote letters to the disability insurance company (from work) about my condition. i lost this disability case but used these letters to support my claims for state of ca disab., workers comp. and social security disab. i won all three. Binder and Binder was outstanding at advising me and dealing with Social Security. they get their money from "back payments" from social security (payments from when you first submit a claim until you begin collecting). contact Binder and Binder and they will guide you from the beginning.

--------------------

#355137 - 02/01/10 09:05 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Were you still employed while you were seeing the gastro and getting tested? Can you still get all the doctor stuff done if you're not employed and covered by insurance? I think someone told me that disability would pay for the doctor expenses.

Sorry, I really am ignorant about this stuff.

#355141 - 02/01/10 09:32 AM
capricorn1942

i retired from hughes space and communications company just before my 57th birthday. i left with health insurance until medicare, a pension and 401k. i then took a job with raytheon systems company and became ill with ibs about 2 months later (early 2000). i stayed with raytheon for about 2 1/2 years and left on medical leave in july 2002 after being diagnosed with an ulcer and pancreatitis (both of which were cured). on medical leave, i was given medical
insurance from raytheon (for 2 years) as well.

The gastro i had was very expensive but since i had double medical insurance, his bills were mostly covered. I have been very fortunate in that respect.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 294 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2660

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review