All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Can You Critique/Am I Doing All I Can For IBS?
      #353152 - 12/11/09 10:16 AM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi,
I'm a 25 year old male. I recently have had a flare up with IBS. I have been much more bloated and c as of late. Now, this could be due to having to prep for a breathe test. Nonetheless, it has me wondering if I am doing everything I can to minimize IBS discomfort.
I was wondering if any of you get a moment, could you critique what I am doing and either:
1) Tell me how good a job I am doing
2) What else I can to specific to my symptoms...bloating and c.

Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can You Critique/Am I Doing All I Can For IBS? new
      #353153 - 12/11/09 10:18 AM
Naturapanic

Generally to help IBS I do the following:

1) Take 1.5 tablespoons of Benefiber TWICE a day for a total of 3 tablespoons
2) Take a Jarrowdophillus Acidiphillus pill TWICE daily
3) Drink 24-32 oz of water along with a couple of glasses of pure fruitjuice (no HFCS) and/or diet caffeine free Ginger Ale
4) Go to the gym
a. 3 times a week I lift weights
b. 2-3 times a week I do 25 minutes of cardio
5) Diet as listed below

Diet (typical)

Breakfast
1 bowl of oat bran mixed with pure applesauce
An Egg white protein shake (on days that I workout)

Lunch
Turkey sandwich on Rye with Lettuce and Mustard
Baked chips/pita chips/or crackers

Snack
Egg white protein shake (on days I workout)
Baked Chips/salsa/hummus

Dinner
Chicken/Turkey/Fish/Shellfish
Rice/Potatoe/Baked Fries/Pasta
¾ cup frozen Spinach

Snack
2 Bowls cereal/Sorbet
OR Leftovers from Dinner

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353154 - 12/11/09 10:19 AM
Naturapanic

Questions:

Based on what I have shared, am I doing everything I can? Is there something missing from diet or program I should be doing, or something bad I am doing?

The only things I can think of might be

1) Possibliy more Benefiber
-If so…would I need to increase water consumption and to how much?

2) Change pro-biotics? I recently tested positive for bacterial overgrowth. I did try VSL before...no difference.

3) More water? Or is having 24-32 with some other safe liquids fine?

4) Enough fiber?
-If so…how? I hate my breakfast of oat bran….and spinach gets very boring.

5) After testing positive for both Lactose Intolerance and Bacterial Overgrowth, should I consider getting a fructose test?
-I avoid HFCS..I do not really know what foods if I tested positive besides HFCS I would need to avoid and really the only time I feel a really bad food based reaction is when I:
-Eat too much fat/whole grain/dairy/red meat/or too much food overall

-In other words is it worth to go through the process of prepping...or is it fructose MUCH milder and likely NOT to blame for my flare ups and chronic issues?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353157 - 12/11/09 11:26 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

You've mentioned all your eating but how is your stress?
Your IBS may be related to issues that aren't dietary.

Do you have any periods of IBS free days or months?
If so can you relate what is going on in your life during those times.
My IBS is almost all because of stress.I can go months without any issues eating WHATEVER!!!!Then something happens that is stressful to me an the cycle begins.
I'm gearing up for a cycle now I feel it coming so I am trying to choose my nontrigger foods but man thats hard.

So what else is going on with you?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#353193 - 12/14/09 01:25 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I have extreme C and bloat and here are my thoughts if I were trying to follow your diet. For me ANY type of bran kills me (more C and bloat). Also I can't mix IF/SF/Protein the way you are. It's too much for my stomach to handle. I stick with one type of food at a meal and it helps. For a lot of us lettuce is majorly constipating- maybe try eliminating it. Again with your lunch, my type of C can't handle the IF (lettuce) with the SF (bread) and protein. Maybe try combining proteins with IF alone at meals and keeping your SF's together. It helps to see how your gut reacts to each type of fiber/food on it's own so you can try to resolve how the different symptoms get jumbled together. At least that works for me- we are all different tho!

#353205 - 12/14/09 08:50 PM
Naturapanic

I want to leave out stress for now and focus first and diet and exercise.
Once done and exonerated....I can process those others.

1) I do notice in the AM I get bloated.
-However, if I do not have Oat Bran...then what can I have for breakfast?

2) Also...my concern...if I take out the Oat Bran...then do I have enough fiber?
-How is my fiber overall?

3) What do you think...besides the Oat Bran...am I really doing wrong diet wise?
-What specifically about the amount of Benefiber I take?
-Too little?
-Or water?
-Too little?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353207 - 12/14/09 09:43 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I have to jump in here to say that you absolutely cannot set stress aside as a factor for causing IBS symptoms. For myself, and for many others, it is the number one contributing factor for symptoms, much more impactful than diet.

I went around and around my diet for months until I finally realized I wasn't feeling any better despite extremely limiting what I consumed. I've gone back to eating more normally and am feeling about the same, no better, no worse than when I was on the restricted diet. IBSers tend to focus too much on diet when it is only a small piece of the equation.

Management of emotional upset (aka stress, anxiety, depression, anger, etc) is essential to managing IBS. Yoga, meditation, journaling, therapy - these are all useful tools, among others. If you truly want to get your IBS under control, you need to focus on these things.

Good idea new
      #353208 - 12/15/09 04:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Good idea to get the diet and exercise under control and then focus on stress later. Many of us find this helps enormously with symptom management and once diet is under control then the negative effects of stress seem to be lessened too.

Later if you need a stress reduction technique you might try the gut directed hynotherapy which has been shown to quite effective for some people. Heather even has board dedicated to hypnosis for IBS.

I will answer you other questions in the posting you made with questions directed to me.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Good idea new
      #353214 - 12/15/09 08:00 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have to disagree with Syl. IBS requires a holistic approach. "Just" focussing on diet & exercise for now is like building a table with "just" 3 legs and expecting it to stand.
Obviously everyone's experience is unique, but based on my own history, tinkering and tinkering with my diet and supplements without addressing the bigger issues of how I cope with stress and other difficult emotions has not served me well.
But best of luck to you, it's a hard journey and we all have to find our own way

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#353216 - 12/15/09 09:19 AM
frygurl

Yes - Renee - this is exactly right. A holistic approach. I like your analogy, all though I would equate diet and exercise as representing only 1-2 legs of the table and the mental/emotional the rest. Basically, the table will not stand with diet and exercise alone.

#353284 - 12/17/09 01:23 PM
Naturapanic

I am not discrediting biofeedback...BUT I want to first make sure my diet and daily lifestyle is in order.

So as far as what I eat and what supplements I take, how much water I drink....what would you say?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353289 - 12/17/09 01:41 PM
frygurl

I'm not the one to ask - changing my diet has made no difference in my symptoms.

a word about non-changing diets new
      #353307 - 12/17/09 05:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't like diets that are the same day in and day out for these reasons:
1. it is easier to get sick of them and go bad off the wagon
2. you may be ascerbating your condition with the same unsafe for you food everyday and not know it
3. you can never find what foods bother you without mixing it up a little
I just wanted to mention that. I mean that as a warning for all.

I also suggest oatmeal for breakfast instead of oat bran. I recommend having the protein smoothie alone as a meal replacement (as in 6 meals a day, 1 or 2 can be a protein shake). Having the protein with food makes me real sick.
If you are going to drink juice have cranberry. Seriously. Ever make homemade ginger ale? It is great! Just take lots of ginger and some water and cook it for a couple minutes, add sugar and cook some more til it is syrup. You can add club soda to this for ginger ale or hot water and make tea. It's great!
A lot of people can't do lettuce and for some sandwiches settle funny. The only thing that really makes lunch gas/bloat free for me is to eat standing up or to stand and walk right after lunch. Do you like cooked carrots or other root veggies?
That is all. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: a word about non-changing diets new
      #353457 - 12/25/09 06:49 PM
Naturapanic

I was under the impression that Oat Bran with appleasauce (solubale fiber) was MUCH safer than oatmeal.
I thought we had discredited oatmeal as not IBS safe?

You suggest I go ahead and experiment with Oatmeal instead of Oat Bran?
If so...what kind of Oatmeal?
Is the instant oatmeal ok that actually has flavors and tastes good?
Like Brown Sugar?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Additional Questions new
      #353459 - 12/25/09 06:59 PM
Naturapanic

Not only am I trying to eat for IBS...I am also trying to eat to improve my workout at the gym.
I am trying to gain muscle and strength.
Therefore I have a few additional questions

1) Am I getting enough protein?
-For my gym goals and body type (5 11 175 lbs) how much protein do I need on weight lifting and non weight lifting days to grow?
-Am I currently meeting it?

2) What about carbs...same questions?

3) What about fiber?
-Am I with Oat Bran/oatmeal at breakfast+frozen spinach at night+3 tablespoons of Benefiber getting enough fiber?
-Do I need more Benefiber?

4) What about water...is 32 oz enough+a few glasses of juice/ginger ale or do I need more fluids?
-How much of it must be water?

5) Basic food that keeps getting recommend for me by people at the gym is a diet like this:

Quote:

meal 1
1 fruit
1 serv oats

meal 2
nuts
1 serv milk

meal 3
samwhich of some sort (anything you want basically)
1 fruit
nuts

meal 4
lean meat
potatoes
veggies

meal 5
milk
nuts
veggies

meal 6
cottage cheese

Is there something I can do to replace all the nuts/milk/cheese?
-Weight trainers usually eat this because it contains protein, good fats, and digests slower.
-I can not tolerate nuts or dairy.
-Are there any substitutes which can have the similar effect of
-adding protein and slowing the need/desire to keep eating?

6) I do not take calcium pills...could this be a problem for me at the gym?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Additional Questions new
      #353497 - 12/27/09 04:42 PM
Little Minnie

I will start back with the oatmeal and oatbran. Sure some people say they can't handle oatmeal and no one knows why, but oat bran would be less safe than oatmeal. The oat has a good mix of SF and IF but the oat bran would be more 'scratchy'. My safe food is oatmeal and I recommend it. The other day I wanted cereal for BF instead of oatmeal and it made me so heavy and bloated. I used to be able to eat cereal in the AM and now not. I can eat it before bed though.

It is possible to up protein and be safe. I watched my protein for some weeks to see if I was getting enough to gain muscle and lose weight and, like my fiber, the protein intake was high (so much for the idea that fiber and protein lead to weight loss!). Anyway between lean meat or tofu proteins, egg whites, nuts after SF, using soymilk and protein smoothies, energy bars, I had plenty. I don't know the amounts for men or for weight. You'd have to look it up.

I don't know about calcium and exercise. I take cal/mag just to not get osteoporosis.

You should drink 1/2 your weight in ounces. 175lb equals about 90 ounces a day. That helps C too!

If you don't feel the regularity you want, increase your fiber! It is at your discretion, but some people need a lot and up it and see how it goes.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

some more thoughts new
      #353498 - 12/27/09 05:10 PM
Little Minnie

I would always start the day with oatmeal and then on weekends make a brunch for yourself later in the AM. Sweet potato hash browns are awesome (I made some for dinner- cube sweet potatoes -2 small or 1 large- and put in a nonstick pan with Pam and a spoonful of smart balance and lots of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, covered, stirring often, until lightly browned and soft).
Have the browns with an egg white omelet and turkey bacon. Lean, high in protein, nutrition and soluble fiber.
During the week have a second breakfast/snack of an energy bar, home-baked cookies or muffin with nuts, or my fav: a banana, an organic cereal bar and some almonds.

The only difference for IBSers on a good training diet is that we have to have SF/carb with everything, so we can't have hummus with veggies or egg white omelet wuthout SF. But since you aren't trying to lose weight that shouldn't matter.

--------------------

Re: some more thoughts new
      #353506 - 12/27/09 09:15 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks!

Follow up

1) What kind of oatmeal do you eat/is safe? Please tell me instant oatmeal or some kind of flavored stuff....having bland food really makes it tough to keep on going.

2) What kind of energy bars do you have?

3) Can you give me a sample of what your snacks might be?
-What do you have as a side with lunch?
-What do you have as your last snack of the day after dinner?
-Nuts? What kind and with what?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Additional Questions Little Minnie new
      #353514 - 12/28/09 09:07 AM

Unregistered

Tried to email you,your adress didn't work. I posted a question for you in the recipe board but I don't think you've seen it yet.

I don't understand what your saying about drink your weight in ounces..likme tea and water? I weight 130 pounds how much do I drink?

For aperson... new
      #353522 - 12/28/09 10:08 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hi Maria,

Well I'm not Little Minnie, but I can answer your question. Divide your weight in pounds by 1/2, in your case that being 65. This means you need 65 oz of water or tea per day.

According to NIH studies, drinking too much water exceeding your baseline based on your weight can actually be harmful, doing more damage than good. So... watch your fluid intake.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#353541 - 12/28/09 05:55 PM
Little Minnie

Instant oatmeal is fine. Avoid the cream and fruit kind or the extra fiber, weight loss, sugar free Quaker varieties. My fav is raisins and spice. I do 1 packet of that and 1 packet of plain with a tablespoon of acacia and a packet of stevia and a little smart balance.

I still eat Luna bars despite the inulin. Clif bars are the same. I like organic cereal bars by Nature's Choice. Nature Valley crunchy granola bars are safe. There are other organic energy type bars but they are pricey. Some are made with just fruit and nuts.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast then a bar of some kind after workout. I eat PB&J or boca burgers or sweet potato microwaved and vegan chicken nuggets or other meatless food. Snacks focus on fruits like a banana and then an orange and plain almonds and lots of various snack bars (especially when farming since these are convenient- bars and bananas are my go-to foods). Sometimes after a banana I will eat some handfuls of peanuts and raisins. People more touchy with IF can't do that.
Before bed I have a bowl of cereal and rice milk with my acacia. Or I'll make homemade banana/PB ice cream with my acacia dose. I usually have chex or life or cheerios but sometimes I do grainier cereals since I am ok with wheat.

--------------------

#353545 - 12/28/09 06:04 PM
Naturapanic

Somebody else just told me instant oatmeal was NOT safe because it contains whole grain oats....
Quote:

Whole grain oats contain the bran. All whole grains contain the bran. It is the bran you want to stay away from. I think Nature's Promise organic maple oatmeal is made from whole grain rolled oats. The keywords are "whole grain". You want to stay away from products containing whole grains.

Note that whole grains are in Heather's insoluble fiber list.

Stick with 'rolled oats' not 'whole grain oats' or 'whole grain rolled oats' because they still contain the bran.

Interesting..and confusing....is it safe?
Do you have anything with Instant Flavored Oatmeal?
I had a 1/2 cup Quick Oats today and it has me bloated and backed up (tho I already was beforehand).

Do you eat any SF WITH your Instant Oatmeal...I thought we were supposed to have IF only AFTER we had a larger amount of SF?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353582 - 12/29/09 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Instant oatmeal is IMO the easiest oats to digest. It is a mix of SF and IF. Again IMO there is no reason instant oatmeal should cause troubles. (except in how it is eaten- like too fast, too much etc)
I do have acacia in my oatmeal b/c I need something liquid to mix it in. I don't like it in water. However instant oats are safe alone. Just get the normal flavors not the extra fiber kind.
Whole grain wheat is way more of a trigger than whole grain corn or oats. Cheerios and other cereals contain the whole oat now and are loaded with SF. That is why they 'help lower cholesterol'. All SF helps lower cholesterol and oats have lots of SF. Some people get too worried about what has IF. Remember Heather says to still eat it but eat with SF! I wish people would get that! (whoever told you to stay away from oats is one)
As for oat bran- well that is dangerous b/c it is all IF with no SF buffer. Eating a whole grain like oats that have SF and IF is no different than eating any fruit or veg with SF and IF.
Have you increased your SFS yet?

--------------------

#353618 - 12/30/09 03:51 PM
Naturapanic

Not yet.
Thanks Minnie!
Is there any chance I can get your email so you can email me your diet...since we have similar goals?

I usually avoid anything like Cheerios with whole grains....because I felt whole grains=IF.
I felt we can have IF ONLY after having a larger quantity of SF first.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353622 - 12/30/09 04:16 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

Again IMO there is no reason instant oatmeal should cause troubles.

Well, I guess my body doesn't need a reason!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#353626 - 12/30/09 05:36 PM
Little Minnie

I think eating raw lettuce on a sandwich is more unsafe than eating cooked oats. Foods that naturally have some SF and IF are a good place to get IF because it is already mixed. Whole wheat is never a good idea though because there is no SF and it is scratchy so to speak.
Getting gas from cheerios is more of a danger than the IF in them. Life is another oatty safe cereal. But both will leave me feeling heavy and bloated if eaten at the wrong time or too much at once.
I think I am going to make a post about that kind of thing...

--------------------

#353636 - 12/31/09 03:59 AM
Syl

If you eat Quaker instant there is a reason. They add oat bran which increases the IF content. Some others add FOS or inulin. I have not found an instant oat that sits well with me.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#353639 - 12/31/09 04:45 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

What brand do you use?

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#353640 - 12/31/09 05:17 AM
Syl

I stay away from all instant oatmeals after having a few bad experiences. I use only Quaker Oats regular oatmeal

--------------------

#353666 - 12/31/09 04:36 PM
Little Minnie

I don't think there is extra oat bran. It says "whole grain oats (with oat bran)" meaning to me that they want people to know the bran is still in there not that they add more. If you have been eating plain oat bran eating instant oats would be an improvement. I think the chopped-up-ness of the instant oats makes them more tolerable than old fashioned oats.

--------------------

Reality is in the numbers .... new
      #353675 - 12/31/09 07:28 PM
Syl

Note that the nutritional label for the instant oatmeal indicates it contains 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving of which 1 gram is SF and therefore it contains 2 grams of IF. The instant oatmeal contains twice as much IF compared to SF.

In comparison Old Fashion Quaker oats contains 4 gram of dietary fiber per serving of which 2 grams is SF and 2 grams is IF. There are equal amounts of SF and IF.

There is no question that bran has been added to change the IF to SF ratio in the instant oatmeal. And my GI track can really tell the difference

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13287

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review