All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: some more thoughts new
      #353541 - 12/28/09 05:55 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Instant oatmeal is fine. Avoid the cream and fruit kind or the extra fiber, weight loss, sugar free Quaker varieties. My fav is raisins and spice. I do 1 packet of that and 1 packet of plain with a tablespoon of acacia and a packet of stevia and a little smart balance.

I still eat Luna bars despite the inulin. Clif bars are the same. I like organic cereal bars by Nature's Choice. Nature Valley crunchy granola bars are safe. There are other organic energy type bars but they are pricey. Some are made with just fruit and nuts.

I eat oatmeal for breakfast then a bar of some kind after workout. I eat PB&J or boca burgers or sweet potato microwaved and vegan chicken nuggets or other meatless food. Snacks focus on fruits like a banana and then an orange and plain almonds and lots of various snack bars (especially when farming since these are convenient- bars and bananas are my go-to foods). Sometimes after a banana I will eat some handfuls of peanuts and raisins. People more touchy with IF can't do that.
Before bed I have a bowl of cereal and rice milk with my acacia. Or I'll make homemade banana/PB ice cream with my acacia dose. I usually have chex or life or cheerios but sometimes I do grainier cereals since I am ok with wheat.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#353545 - 12/28/09 06:04 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Somebody else just told me instant oatmeal was NOT safe because it contains whole grain oats....
Quote:

Whole grain oats contain the bran. All whole grains contain the bran. It is the bran you want to stay away from. I think Nature's Promise organic maple oatmeal is made from whole grain rolled oats. The keywords are "whole grain". You want to stay away from products containing whole grains.

Note that whole grains are in Heather's insoluble fiber list.

Stick with 'rolled oats' not 'whole grain oats' or 'whole grain rolled oats' because they still contain the bran.

Interesting..and confusing....is it safe?
Do you have anything with Instant Flavored Oatmeal?
I had a 1/2 cup Quick Oats today and it has me bloated and backed up (tho I already was beforehand).

Do you eat any SF WITH your Instant Oatmeal...I thought we were supposed to have IF only AFTER we had a larger amount of SF?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353582 - 12/29/09 07:16 PM
Little Minnie

Instant oatmeal is IMO the easiest oats to digest. It is a mix of SF and IF. Again IMO there is no reason instant oatmeal should cause troubles. (except in how it is eaten- like too fast, too much etc)
I do have acacia in my oatmeal b/c I need something liquid to mix it in. I don't like it in water. However instant oats are safe alone. Just get the normal flavors not the extra fiber kind.
Whole grain wheat is way more of a trigger than whole grain corn or oats. Cheerios and other cereals contain the whole oat now and are loaded with SF. That is why they 'help lower cholesterol'. All SF helps lower cholesterol and oats have lots of SF. Some people get too worried about what has IF. Remember Heather says to still eat it but eat with SF! I wish people would get that! (whoever told you to stay away from oats is one)
As for oat bran- well that is dangerous b/c it is all IF with no SF buffer. Eating a whole grain like oats that have SF and IF is no different than eating any fruit or veg with SF and IF.
Have you increased your SFS yet?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#353618 - 12/30/09 03:51 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Not yet.
Thanks Minnie!
Is there any chance I can get your email so you can email me your diet...since we have similar goals?

I usually avoid anything like Cheerios with whole grains....because I felt whole grains=IF.
I felt we can have IF ONLY after having a larger quantity of SF first.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#353622 - 12/30/09 04:16 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

Quote:

Again IMO there is no reason instant oatmeal should cause troubles.

Well, I guess my body doesn't need a reason!

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#353626 - 12/30/09 05:36 PM
Little Minnie

I think eating raw lettuce on a sandwich is more unsafe than eating cooked oats. Foods that naturally have some SF and IF are a good place to get IF because it is already mixed. Whole wheat is never a good idea though because there is no SF and it is scratchy so to speak.
Getting gas from cheerios is more of a danger than the IF in them. Life is another oatty safe cereal. But both will leave me feeling heavy and bloated if eaten at the wrong time or too much at once.
I think I am going to make a post about that kind of thing...

--------------------

#353636 - 12/31/09 03:59 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

If you eat Quaker instant there is a reason. They add oat bran which increases the IF content. Some others add FOS or inulin. I have not found an instant oat that sits well with me.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353639 - 12/31/09 04:45 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

What brand do you use?

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

#353640 - 12/31/09 05:17 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I stay away from all instant oatmeals after having a few bad experiences. I use only Quaker Oats regular oatmeal

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353666 - 12/31/09 04:36 PM
Little Minnie

I don't think there is extra oat bran. It says "whole grain oats (with oat bran)" meaning to me that they want people to know the bran is still in there not that they add more. If you have been eating plain oat bran eating instant oats would be an improvement. I think the chopped-up-ness of the instant oats makes them more tolerable than old fashioned oats.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13409

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review