All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Good idea new
      #353284 - 12/17/09 01:23 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I am not discrediting biofeedback...BUT I want to first make sure my diet and daily lifestyle is in order.

So as far as what I eat and what supplements I take, how much water I drink....what would you say?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good idea new
      #353289 - 12/17/09 01:41 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I'm not the one to ask - changing my diet has made no difference in my symptoms.

a word about non-changing diets new
      #353307 - 12/17/09 05:29 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I don't like diets that are the same day in and day out for these reasons:
1. it is easier to get sick of them and go bad off the wagon
2. you may be ascerbating your condition with the same unsafe for you food everyday and not know it
3. you can never find what foods bother you without mixing it up a little
I just wanted to mention that. I mean that as a warning for all.

I also suggest oatmeal for breakfast instead of oat bran. I recommend having the protein smoothie alone as a meal replacement (as in 6 meals a day, 1 or 2 can be a protein shake). Having the protein with food makes me real sick.
If you are going to drink juice have cranberry. Seriously. Ever make homemade ginger ale? It is great! Just take lots of ginger and some water and cook it for a couple minutes, add sugar and cook some more til it is syrup. You can add club soda to this for ginger ale or hot water and make tea. It's great!
A lot of people can't do lettuce and for some sandwiches settle funny. The only thing that really makes lunch gas/bloat free for me is to eat standing up or to stand and walk right after lunch. Do you like cooked carrots or other root veggies?
That is all. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: a word about non-changing diets new
      #353457 - 12/25/09 06:49 PM
Naturapanic

I was under the impression that Oat Bran with appleasauce (solubale fiber) was MUCH safer than oatmeal.
I thought we had discredited oatmeal as not IBS safe?

You suggest I go ahead and experiment with Oatmeal instead of Oat Bran?
If so...what kind of Oatmeal?
Is the instant oatmeal ok that actually has flavors and tastes good?
Like Brown Sugar?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Additional Questions new
      #353459 - 12/25/09 06:59 PM
Naturapanic

Not only am I trying to eat for IBS...I am also trying to eat to improve my workout at the gym.
I am trying to gain muscle and strength.
Therefore I have a few additional questions

1) Am I getting enough protein?
-For my gym goals and body type (5 11 175 lbs) how much protein do I need on weight lifting and non weight lifting days to grow?
-Am I currently meeting it?

2) What about carbs...same questions?

3) What about fiber?
-Am I with Oat Bran/oatmeal at breakfast+frozen spinach at night+3 tablespoons of Benefiber getting enough fiber?
-Do I need more Benefiber?

4) What about water...is 32 oz enough+a few glasses of juice/ginger ale or do I need more fluids?
-How much of it must be water?

5) Basic food that keeps getting recommend for me by people at the gym is a diet like this:

Quote:

meal 1
1 fruit
1 serv oats

meal 2
nuts
1 serv milk

meal 3
samwhich of some sort (anything you want basically)
1 fruit
nuts

meal 4
lean meat
potatoes
veggies

meal 5
milk
nuts
veggies

meal 6
cottage cheese

Is there something I can do to replace all the nuts/milk/cheese?
-Weight trainers usually eat this because it contains protein, good fats, and digests slower.
-I can not tolerate nuts or dairy.
-Are there any substitutes which can have the similar effect of
-adding protein and slowing the need/desire to keep eating?

6) I do not take calcium pills...could this be a problem for me at the gym?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Additional Questions new
      #353497 - 12/27/09 04:42 PM
Little Minnie

I will start back with the oatmeal and oatbran. Sure some people say they can't handle oatmeal and no one knows why, but oat bran would be less safe than oatmeal. The oat has a good mix of SF and IF but the oat bran would be more 'scratchy'. My safe food is oatmeal and I recommend it. The other day I wanted cereal for BF instead of oatmeal and it made me so heavy and bloated. I used to be able to eat cereal in the AM and now not. I can eat it before bed though.

It is possible to up protein and be safe. I watched my protein for some weeks to see if I was getting enough to gain muscle and lose weight and, like my fiber, the protein intake was high (so much for the idea that fiber and protein lead to weight loss!). Anyway between lean meat or tofu proteins, egg whites, nuts after SF, using soymilk and protein smoothies, energy bars, I had plenty. I don't know the amounts for men or for weight. You'd have to look it up.

I don't know about calcium and exercise. I take cal/mag just to not get osteoporosis.

You should drink 1/2 your weight in ounces. 175lb equals about 90 ounces a day. That helps C too!

If you don't feel the regularity you want, increase your fiber! It is at your discretion, but some people need a lot and up it and see how it goes.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

some more thoughts new
      #353498 - 12/27/09 05:10 PM
Little Minnie

I would always start the day with oatmeal and then on weekends make a brunch for yourself later in the AM. Sweet potato hash browns are awesome (I made some for dinner- cube sweet potatoes -2 small or 1 large- and put in a nonstick pan with Pam and a spoonful of smart balance and lots of salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, covered, stirring often, until lightly browned and soft).
Have the browns with an egg white omelet and turkey bacon. Lean, high in protein, nutrition and soluble fiber.
During the week have a second breakfast/snack of an energy bar, home-baked cookies or muffin with nuts, or my fav: a banana, an organic cereal bar and some almonds.

The only difference for IBSers on a good training diet is that we have to have SF/carb with everything, so we can't have hummus with veggies or egg white omelet wuthout SF. But since you aren't trying to lose weight that shouldn't matter.

--------------------

Re: some more thoughts new
      #353506 - 12/27/09 09:15 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks!

Follow up

1) What kind of oatmeal do you eat/is safe? Please tell me instant oatmeal or some kind of flavored stuff....having bland food really makes it tough to keep on going.

2) What kind of energy bars do you have?

3) Can you give me a sample of what your snacks might be?
-What do you have as a side with lunch?
-What do you have as your last snack of the day after dinner?
-Nuts? What kind and with what?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Additional Questions Little Minnie new
      #353514 - 12/28/09 09:07 AM

Unregistered

Tried to email you,your adress didn't work. I posted a question for you in the recipe board but I don't think you've seen it yet.

I don't understand what your saying about drink your weight in ounces..likme tea and water? I weight 130 pounds how much do I drink?

For aperson... new
      #353522 - 12/28/09 10:08 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Hi Maria,

Well I'm not Little Minnie, but I can answer your question. Divide your weight in pounds by 1/2, in your case that being 65. This means you need 65 oz of water or tea per day.

According to NIH studies, drinking too much water exceeding your baseline based on your weight can actually be harmful, doing more damage than good. So... watch your fluid intake.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 346 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13466

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review