All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is food really the answer?
      #353119 - 12/10/09 01:46 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've become increasingly convinced over the past 4 months that food is not a significant trigger for my IBS symptoms. I came to this conclusion based on strictly following the EFI diet and severely limiting my food intake to try to make myself symptom free. Not only did this not work, at all, but it also created additional stress for me around food that wasn't there before (and incidentally caused IBS symptoms).

I also came to this conclusion from my own personal journey of trying to understand why I have IBS, which began to make a lot more sense when I read "The Divided Mind" by Dr. John Sarno. He theorizes that IBS (among other chronic pain and illnesses) is caused by the brain to prevent terrible unconscious emotions such as rage, sadness, pain, from transitioning into the conscious mind. This spoke to me in a way nothing else has because I carry around so much emotional pain. I even used physical illness, namely 'tummy aches' as a way to cope with my parents chaotic relationship as a child. Not any wonder why that's now a programmed response for me as an adult.

This weekend I decided to experiment because I finally convinced myself that food is not triggering my IBS. I ate whatever I wanted after spending 3 1/2 months of denying myself many things I enjoyed and craved. I ate pork and beef, cheese, italian food with garlic and onions, french fries, pizza, salads, apples with the skin on. I felt free for the first time in a long time. I wasn't stressed about food at all.

Guess what happened? Nothing. I feel no better and no worse than I did before in terms of my IBS symptoms. I even had a really good day this weekend. I did have a bad day this week as well, but that's no different than when I was limiting my food intake. It's just not food causing my symptoms! That's not to say I can eat whatever I want, because even healthy people have digestive problems if they eat too much junky, greasy food. But I certainly don't need to eliminate so much from diet.

I wonder who else out there has discovered that their symptoms are not really controlled by diet?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is food really the answer? new
      #353120 - 12/10/09 02:08 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Perhaps if gastroparesis is the dominant problem and IBS is a side effect then diet may not be a solution. Have you sought medical advice about appropriate medication and/or surgery for gastroparesis?

Diet management benefits me significantly. It isn't a cure but for many it is a simple tool for managing symptoms

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

In a word...NO! -nt new
      #353121 - 12/10/09 02:17 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

#353124 - 12/10/09 02:35 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there,
Question for you...do you still think you have IBS or just gastroparesis. I'm leaning towards believing my IBS may not exist...all the symptoms seem to fit gastroparesis, and the lack of motility causes IBS like symptoms...
What do you think about it?
Did they ever tell you what the cause of GP was? They haven't figured mine out yet. I actually saw a neurologist today to see if he had any insight. Interesting appt, but not too much to do. I don't want to go through any more tests.
Aly

--------------------
IBS-A

#353126 - 12/10/09 03:14 PM
frygurl

Hello Aly - I hope you're doing well. I do still think I have IBS in addition to gastroparesis. The gastroparesis is not very severe for me - mostly annoying. I never actually vomit from it, I just often feel queasy and too full after eating. In between meals and sometimes when I'm really hungry, my tummy feels uncomfortable. I tell my husband it feels like I am trying to digest rocks. And then there's the heartburn and reflux, which is much improved since taking licorice root supplement and lemon juice before meals.

With the acacia fiber, I've been having daily BMs (kind of amazing for me), but I still experience the entire gamut of lower digestive symptoms regardless of motility. Sometimes I lean more toward constipation and sometimes I lean more toward D - tho it's usually just soft, loose BMs, and at most I will have 3 a day, so it could be worse. But I still feel pretty miserable frequently.

I was told my GP is idiopathic, meaning they don't know the cause. What I do know is that GP has to do with a malfunctioning vagus nerve. The vagus nerve also controls the signals to your intestines, so it's not a big surprise that someone with gastroparesis would also have IBS.

My belief is that all of my digestive symptoms, upper and lower, begin in my mind. Not to say they are all in my head, but the CAUSE is in my head. So I've moved away from the diet and moved towards lots of mental/emotional work. I am learning so much!!

I've exhausted my efforts with medical doctors. I don't want to do any more tests either. They just don't know how to help me. I've finally accepted the fact that I have to help myself by finding the right path to healing.

Your situation maybe different. I know your GP is worse than mine. How are you doing these days?

#353127 - 12/10/09 03:23 PM
frygurl

I do not have severe gastroparesis. Some patients can't keep food down at all, or often vomit after eating. I've never vomited from it. I just feel uncomfortable in my stomach after eating, often nauseous, overly full, etc. My GI doc said it's more of an annoyance than a serious medical problem for me. He was willing to prescribe one of two medications for it, but the side effects are SCARY, and even he didn't recommend them in my case. Surgery has never been discussed and seems unnecessary since I have a mild case.

I have tried digestive enzymes to improve digestion, but those actually caused my heartburn to return with a vengeance, so I decided not to take them after all. Bottom line, there isn't alot to do about the gastroparesis, and I don't think it explains the large amount of lower digestive symptoms I am having, all though it does make sense that if I am not digesting food well, then it can cause problems all the way down the line.

I don't know - I have not found what works for me yet. The only thing I know for absolute certain is that when I have an emotional upset, it sets off a flare up of IBS symptoms.

Aly new
      #353135 - 12/10/09 07:43 PM
Gerikat

Can I ask you a quick question? I know with your gastroparesis, you vomit. My mom has been very ill since July with digestive issues. My question is, do you get nausea before you vomit, or does the food just come up? Thanks for any input.

Re: Aly new
      #353141 - 12/11/09 04:50 AM
Aly

Hello,
With my GP there is nausea for sure. I have to be having a really bad attack to vomit. I've been lucky enough to not have an attack like that for a few months. But when I do, I vomit. It always is accompanied by nausea--which intensifies until I vomit. Then the problem is that I don't STOP vomiting, even after every ounce of food is out of me.
Let me know if u have any other questions. I hope she doesn't have GP--it sucks!! Is she diabetic by any chance? That significantly increases your risk of GP!

--------------------
IBS-A

#353142 - 12/11/09 04:58 AM
Aly

I hear ya, I have certainly felt the "done with doctors" things plenty of times. I got way too fed up going to doctors and hearing there was nothing they could do. I did the hypnosis tapes awhile back and that helped. I'm figuring a lot out on my own.
The biggest change in that mentality came with finding an AWESOME doc. She's truly my miracle worker. I know she probably has no life outside of her job, but for her patients she will always be there to help. She even called me one Saturday bc she knew I'd had a rough week. She spoke with me for AN HOUR. So knowing she cares allows me to explore other medical conditions and try to get to the bottom of my problems.
My doc did say the GP could be idiopathic, but they shouldn't diagnose that until they've looked into all possible causes (But I understand you're not interested in that, so don't think I'm pushing it, just telling u what my doc said). I'm curious bc the neurologist said it could be autonomic neuropathy, which basically means my nerves are all screwed up--sounds possible. The testing for it is pretty involved and we want to wait. Especially since there is nothing they do for it but treat symptoms, theres no need to test.
I agree that emotions/stress play quite a role in this battle. While I firmly believe there is no psychological/emotional root to my IBS/GP/Whatever I have, I know stress can be a trigger for me. I have always felt if I eat a so called "trigger" food while relaxed and enjoying myself, I rarely get sick. If I eat a "trigger" food and worry about getting sick--it'll happen.
The mind certainly is powerful.
I hope you are hanging in there. This GP diet is not easy for me. I really get down sometime not being able to eat fresh fruit and veg in their whole form. I do lots of smoothies and cooked veg, but I used to enjoy a salad now and then....miss those days! But I don't miss getting sick enough to be admitted to the hospital!
Take care

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Aly new
      #353145 - 12/11/09 06:32 AM
Gerikat

Aly, thanks for answering so quickly. I do not believe my mom is diabetic, unless undiagnosed. Without going into great detail here, suffice it to say that GP crossed my mind due to the stomach/esophagus surgery she had over the summer. They did actually tear a hole in her stomach during the surgery, so my thought was that they damaged the vagus nerve. We are all still trying to figure out what's going on with her. God, it's never-ending! Thanks for your help!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 340 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11193

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review