Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
liquid diet? just for a few days?
      #352908 - 12/01/09 06:01 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi everyone,
For the past few months I've been doing much worse, which is why I'm back on this site after not coming here for a year or so. I was never stable, but lately I am REALLY bad.
So I find myself toying with the idea of just giving myself a break from all this suffering by doing a juice fast for a few days. Just take the bowel out of the equation for a bit. Is that a bad idea? Is there any value to it?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: liquid diet? just for a few days? new
      #352909 - 12/01/09 06:22 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Renee - I've tried this myself. I found it impossible to get past the first day - but I tend to get low blood sugar. It seems like fasting is not the way to cure constipation, since it stops the peristaltic action of the gut when you don't eat. I was hoping after my colonoscopy that I would reset my gut after fasting and being 'cleaned' out. But alas - made no difference at all.

I'm so sorry you're feeling bad. Are you using the treatment plan laid out by Dr. Sarno? I've started it this week. I am really hoping it helps me, because I'm no where near stable tho I've been following the EFI diet strictly for nearly 4 months. I recognize now how little diet plays into my IBS symptoms.

Take care, I hope you can find a way out of this bad cycle.

#352910 - 12/01/09 06:36 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Thanks so much, Frygurl. Yeah, I suppose that not eating, in the long run, is not gonna help my bowel learn to MOVE. And I can see myself getting starving by noon the first day It's just, well, you all know. ExHAUSTing.

Re: Sarno, I am working with a naturopath who has a Sarno-esque approach. So I am spending a lot of time writing down my feelings, jus trying to let myself FEEL them before the rational brain mind kicks in with the judging and analyzing and dismissing. I also got a referral from GP to get a therapist, so I'm waiting on that. And I finally joined the Ning site - we should talk more on there. In the meantime I am gonna pull out his book again and review his regimen again

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#352911 - 12/01/09 06:47 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I'm with you on being exhausted from feeling this way every single day. There are days I feel so desperate for relief - that's when I consider medication. It only takes some research to realize the medication isn't going to help me either, and will pile on new symptoms in the form of side effects.

Sounds like you're on the right track with your head stuff. Dr. Sarno's plan has you thinking about anything that could be triggering unconscious rage or other emotions. I started with listing everything, and now am writing in depth about each area. It feels good to write it all down, rather than having it float around in my head.

I would love to hear more about your thoughts on the Ning site. I started a thread there, asking a question.

#352913 - 12/01/09 07:52 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

I did a quick "juice only" fast for about 10 days. I would just drink carrot and apple juice during the day and every other morning i would drink a gallon of warm salt water to flush my system. It didn't do anything for me and my gut was still spasming just off the juice alone! Although, i wasn't craping out as much stuff because i wasn't eating anything.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3073 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2200

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review