All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS & Gluten Tolerance
      #352903 - 12/01/09 03:35 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I'm been reading your post only because my daughter is now after sooooo many test was diagnosed with gluten tolerance. which I have been trying to work on not easy. When I had her IBS diet she was doing ok but still in pain. Now that I'm trying Gluten Free Diet it's almost the same. I remember reading one time that someone was IBS and Gluten/Celiac Diease also, and would like to know how that person(es) or doing. Because I'm thinking that she might be both, but I'm still working of the Gluten Free Diet and it's not easy. Also would like to know if anyone taking Benifiber is the wheat Dextrim in benifiber Gluten does anyone know and does Heather's Tummy Fiber Acacia have gluten in it??????
If y'all don't remember because it's been a while it's my daughter that's been having the problems and she also has Down Syndrome and it's really hard for me to know were or how she is hurting. If anyone has info please let me know.
Thanks again, as always y'all are GREAT.
eva mother of a angle in pain

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS & Gluten Tolerance new
      #352920 - 12/02/09 05:52 AM
pancake

Reged: 11/02/09
Loc: Essex UK

Hi

I am IBS-D & gluten intolerant,

I have only been on Heather acacia since saturday & it is wonderful! no gluten at all!

Please give it a go, what you have to remember is that the acacia fiber is directly for IBS rather than the brands on the shelf etc

Helen (UK)

#352923 - 12/02/09 06:41 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I am confused by your posting. Was your daughter diagnosed with celiac disease? If no, how was it determined that she was gluten intolerant?

Here is what Norvartis has to say about Benefiber and gluten.

"Benefiber Powder, which contains less than 20 ppm of gluten and is therefore considered "gluten-free," based on both the FDA and the Codex Alimentarius Commission's proposed definition of less than 20 ppm. However, people who experience gluten intolerance should not consume any products, including Benefiber, that contain any level of gluten unless otherwise directed by their doctor."

It is worded in a peculiar way - probably to cover their liability. If your daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease then it might be best to speak to your GP. If she was not diagnosed with celiac that it is probably okay because of its very low gluten content.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#353006 - 12/04/09 02:40 PM
Angel in Pain

Thanks for replying. By the way have you had any luck with finding any breads that are even close to regular or even sour dough bread which we ate for IBS until they found Gluten Tolerance. My daughter still has pain which hasn't stoped since 5 years ago but I'm know sure I've done everything just right for gluten tolerance yet.
If you have any info that would help please let me know. I'm 62 and my daughter is 27 and it's getting harder for me to learn all these things like I use to.
Thanks, Eva

#353008 - 12/04/09 02:52 PM
Angel in Pain

Syl, Thanks for your info you are always very knowledgeable on most of these thing that it's great to have someone like you on our side. She was diagnosed with Gluten Tolerance by her allergist. Her GI has never found anything wronge with her, but I think the reason he couldn't was because I had her on IBS for a year and half and she wasn't on much gluten any way, so it was hard for him. And she has always been in pain everyday for 5 years but they haven't found any thing wrong with her. So now were trying the Gluten Free and she doing a little better in some ways, but now I still have to watch out also for her acid reflux.
Thanks you,
eva

#353943 - 01/04/10 07:37 PM
Angel in Pain

pancake,
Thanks for you input. my daughter who has down syndowme, was diagnosed with gluten tolerance by her allergist who took a blood test after he couldn't really find her allergic to anything else. He has ask us to see a Rheumatology and I'm not sure what they do but we haven't been able to find one that takes her insurance. Then when we did they will review her case and will let us know if and when they will see us. Anyway the reason I asking for persons with IBS & Gluten tolerance is because since I've talking her off the IBS diet and put her on thegluten diet she still having pain but is seem a little worse and was wondering if I should do both which I think I will try and do both anyway just to see if it helps. I'm still trying to work on the gluten diet which is very hard for me and might be able to do better when school is out and I can put my full time into it. My daughter loves pasta and breads and I've yet to find anything that taste as good as the regular.
If you have any info that can help us I would really appreciate it.
Thanks a LOT,
eva

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3531 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3728

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review