All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
why does it do this to me
      #352676 - 11/25/09 11:05 AM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

omg i thought i was on right track guess not last few day BM am time ok then a bit later on but not am going at bit but tummy bloated pains hurts so bad

breakfast gluten free corn flakes goats milk skimmed hot water and berries

lunch berries and corn baby snacks gluten dairy wheat free

tea yellow haddock fish squash and garden peas

later on raspberries 2 kiwis and lots hot water and peppermint tea

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: why does it do this to me new
      #352677 - 11/25/09 11:10 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I thought you said squash was a problem. Squash is also on the list of excess fructose foods to avoid. Could part of the problem be the squash?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352679 - 11/25/09 11:29 AM
julieb123

ok am sorry am so fed up my gp gave me so pills to help with my low mood to day hope helps
i need a safe veg to eat

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352680 - 11/25/09 11:41 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

What about carrot juice and yams/sweet potatoes? are they on the excess fructose list?

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#352682 - 11/25/09 12:05 PM
Syl

Pure carrot juice should be fine. Boiled soft carrots are a staple for me.

Here is a link to a web site with some good information about excess fructose foods. The table at the bottom of the page has a list of foods that are (1) safe, (2) try in moderation and (3) avoid. Note that is says sweet potatoes and carrots are are fine in moderation.

I hope it helps

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#352717 - 11/26/09 11:33 AM
julieb123

thank you so much i am sorry i just want this all over i have been but on aknemin today i am getting red flushing to my face and also diazepam for my depression think any will upset my tummy

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Potatoes! new
      #352720 - 11/26/09 02:34 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Have you tried a plain baked potato?

You can also boil peeled and quartered potatoes, then mash them using a little chicken broth and/or rice milk. These taste good, and settle my tummy when I'm feeling miserable.

Also, when I was a little girl and had a tummy ache, my mother would boil some egg noodles separately (now use yolk-free). She would add some of these to the can of hot chicken broth heated separately, and then pour this over a scoop of hot mashed potatoes... talk about a soothing comfort food! This is it!!!

I sometimes make this for myself today, though I do add a little fresh thin ginger slices (peeled, of course) to the chicken broth while it is being heated. If I happen to have a little cooked chicken breast in the fridge, I add a few pieces of that as well while heating up the broth. You could even add some of Heather's acacia fiber to this to boost the soluable fiber without changing the taste nor the texture.

My best to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Potatoes! new
      #352762 - 11/27/09 10:02 AM
julieb123

thank you all do you ever get scared that this is it all life's give you is pain and no enjoyment when i got over anorexia well i men as better as i am now i thought i might be able to enjoy more foods and its like i cant have nil at all with my eating disorder and ibs i feel so bad i cant have choc and now coming to Xmas and stuff i cant just let go be happy at all am scared am going to start binge eating on all bad stuff i have did it before then scared my self and stopped eating again just with there was a way out of all this wish i could eat a potato but there scare me bad

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352778 - 11/27/09 11:39 AM
Syl

You say your doctor has you on aknemin which is an antibiotic. Is that to control the red on your face? Do you take the antibiotic as a pill or is it a cream. If it is a pill it might upset your IBS a bit. If it is a cream it likely won't have any effect.

The diazepam should not affect your IBS.

--------------------

#352779 - 11/27/09 11:47 AM
julieb123

its a pill i haven't took it yet am so scared but i wont now if will make it worse am feeling like never eating again to day i hate belly so much am a big fat cow and i have a big red face and i feel so bad i am so upset to day and i cant see any happiness

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352784 - 11/27/09 12:45 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

At first I felt very deprived with IBS and wondered if I would ever like eating again. But then I decided to find things I love within the boundaries of the EFI diet. As one person mentioned, potatoes have become a staple in my diet especially with the chicken broth and I use a butter alternative, veggie parmesan cheese etc. I also like stuffing. I make it with chicken broth and then use some white meat chicken shredded in it. Also rice. I can tolerate green beans if I am eating those other things as well as cooked carrots. I also made a bread pudding today. My first time having it was at Thanksgiving yesterday. I loved it so I came home and made my IBS friendly version. Anxiety flares up my IBS so I have started taking lexapro and I also use the bach flower remedies (rescue remedy). I also do yoga or my walking tapes. I try to stay active. We did turkey bowling yesterday after lunch. It was a lot of fun. If you are cramping really bad put a heating pad on your tummy. I have the hot/cold packs I ordered from here. I enjoy them. Don't focus on the negative. If you start feeling negative, do something that makes you feel good. Bubble bath, read a good book, do an exercise tape, watch a good movie. Anything that will take your focus away from the negative.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#352785 - 11/27/09 01:47 PM
Syl

My wife has a similar skin problem. She puts small amounts of avocado or plain yogurt on her face and leaves it on for 10 mins. She does this twice a week or so and finds it is quite effective. You might give it a try

--------------------

#352787 - 11/27/09 02:37 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Julie, in reading your post, you have an eating disorder too? That must be tough along with the IBS. Do you have the anorexia under control and are you seeing a therapist for this? Just wondering.

#352854 - 11/29/09 08:41 AM
julieb123

i there yes i have anorexia i have don't since i was 17 an 29 now i still suffer a bit but more under control i find it so hard having both ibs and a ed cos there is so much food i want to eat to help ibs but cant cos i fear them i have rosacea now and i have osteoporosis i feel a mess i only talk to by GP about my eat thank you caring

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352859 - 11/29/09 12:22 PM
Gerikat

I have rosacea too. I, too have osteopenia, and I am only 30, soon to be 31. Although I don't have an eating disorder, I do share some of this with you.

Are you treating the rosacea, or leaving it be?

#352869 - 11/30/09 11:50 AM
julieb123

i have a cream called azelaic and a tablets called aknemin but not sure if the pill will upset my tummy i have a big red nose i dont get the spot well not yet what do you use to help

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352870 - 11/30/09 02:56 PM
Gerikat

Oh Julie, I am sure your nose does not look as bad as you imagine it to look. Sometimes we see ourselves in such a harsh light, when others don't see what we see.

Trust me, when I tell you I have been the entire route with rosacea, and I have done my research. I have had creams, lotions, potions, meds, etc. Nothing helped and it only made my condition worse. One day, I just said, "ENOUGH". My face does not have the pimples, pustules, or papules, as is indicative of advanced rosacea, and I have had it for years. My biggest beef is I have ocular rosacea, which is just a big pain. My eyes hurt all the time.

My face is just pink, until I get overheated or hit a trigger and then it looks like a severe sunburn, and hurts like hell. It gets tight and stings and burns.

So, what I have found that works best for me is "nothing". Yep, you heard me right. Once I stopped all the crap the doctor gave me, my face looks/feels much better. I wash it in lukewarm water, with a gentle product, and use a light moisturizer. I avoid extreme heat, wind, extreme cold, stress (as much as possible), any extreme of emotions, flushing/blushing, spicy food, anything that exacerbates my symptoms. You know, kind of like IBS.

I have my skin looking pretty good right now. So, that's what works for me.

#352881 - 12/01/09 09:27 AM
julieb123

you are so strong i wish i was like you i really do
i did nil for a while i just used a brand called simple on my skin but its red pink all the time i guess more in winter so am having a bad time right now i no that when i used to eat figs ALl the time for my constipation that made it bad

i hope we stay friends nice geting to no you julie xxxxx

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

I'm concerned new
      #352884 - 12/01/09 10:53 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Julie, are you getting help from a therapist? An eating disorder and IBS are a lot to deal with at once, especially as they are so interrelated. I also struggled with anorexia and then bulimia for years, as well as the IBS. It is a very tricky web to escape, since you can't just follow the usual advice for EDs about learning to eating "normally" again. I really, really, REALLY hope you are getting professional help. It's just too much for one person to deal with one their own.
I also hope that you can lose your fear of foods like potatoes. First of all, I eat potatoes/beets/yams/parsnips/squash every day and, to be honest, I am still underweight. Not that underweight should be a goal! In fact I'd really like to gain some since winter is coming and I am getting COLD. But it's hard when eating causes so much discomfort.
Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: I'm concerned new
      #352886 - 12/01/09 11:11 AM
julieb123

thank you for you concern means alot to me i am under weight but ther fear of gaining apound kills me
i have had a bad day today and to make things worse just ate beans i no that they kill tummy am scare me to i have to stay i low weight its my control and and haveing a bm each day if i dont then i cant face food at all
i want to cant cos i have belly sweeling up so much
i dont see any one over my ed any more stoped that few years back when i came out of my 3rd hospital but am doing ok honest i do like squash love it dont no if it likes me i have yellow fish each day i always have breakfast cornfalkes and rasberriys and goats milk
are you stable now with you ed

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352888 - 12/01/09 12:10 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Julie,
The fear of gaining a pound - you HAVE to work on letting that go. It is sooooooo emotionally/mentally destructive. I believe it will also undermine any efforts you are making to control your IBS. The two issues truly go hand-in-hand, since your body and mind are so connected. If you obsess about and fear eating and food, how do you expect your body to respond when you eat? An eating disorder is a battle against the body, denying its urges, hating and criticizing it, fearing it, trying to subdue and control it. Whereas caring for your IBS requires a deep love and compassion for yourself and your body, a profound acceptance of yourself as perfect EXACTLY how you are. You need to care for your body and your tummy like a mother cares for her child. With love and compassion, with careful attention as you try to hear what it is telling you. Cheesy, I know - but I believe it.

If IBS has taught me anything, it's that how you FEEL is a zillion times more important than how you look. I would gladly gain 50 pounds in a HEARTBEAT if I could feel normal again. Seriously, skinny is just not worth it. Not to mention the other problems - I have osteoperosis, amenorrhea, etc. Not worth it!

Also, just on a purely physical basis, in order for a gut to function normally it must have a fair amount of food pumping through it on a regular basis. So I hope you are eating enough - the daily diet you posted earlier sounded a little meagre to me.

I think I have my ED under control. I mean, I certainly I don't do any of the behaviours, count calories, binge/purge etc. And I don't fear weight gain. But, as you know, it's complicated - it's very hard not to obsess about food when part of managing IBS is to watch everything that goes into your mouth. It's a very tricky balance to strike... I am 33 and still working on it!

My focus now is instead of obsessing about all the stuff I can't eat, and obsessing about what other people are eating, I am just trying to appreciate what I am able to eat, and maximizing the enjoyment of every meal. At the same time, to remind myself that life is about more than meals. When I find myself dwelling in food-thoughts, I try to redirect my attention to bigger issues. OK, I think I've rambled enough for now!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#352889 - 12/01/09 12:30 PM
julieb123

thank you you have helped me so much we have lots of the same illness that's for sure i am proud of you for coming with far am 29 i think i have lived with a ed for 11 years NOW and i feel i will never get over it
if my belly was flat i think i will be fine but the ibs makes it swell so much
i no what you mean about pain and mobility i struggle to Defoe with my bones there bad
do you have kids i don't i don't think i can and that's sad for me i wish i never abused laxatives ever i really do what i think 30 a day makes me ill

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352890 - 12/01/09 12:35 PM
Gerikat

No Julie, not as strong as you think, and I bet you are stronger than you think. Winter is a tough time for those with rosacea. In the extreme cold and wind, I cover my face with a scarf and limit my time in the cold.

Yeah, simple has worked best for me. But, as with anything, everyone finds their own way. Most people think I have a pretty complexion, but I know I do not. When it flares, it hurts and is really red. But, at other times, it is just a light pink. I am more harsh on myself than others are on me.

Certain foods will affect your face, for sure. Once you find out which ones, you can avoid them, like you say, the figs.

#352892 - 12/01/09 12:54 PM
julieb123

i no what you are saying yeas we are all strong in are own ways we fight for what we want as much as we can
i try hard to work out what makes my face and belly bad but cant work it out
been so bad to day with my tummy but never mind
how have you been i do hope OK its so nice have some one how can relate to what am going throw

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352893 - 12/01/09 12:58 PM
Gerikat

Doing great with the face, but just had a pretty bad cycle of C. Could not resolve it easily, but am making headway.

Thanks for asking!

#352895 - 12/01/09 01:15 PM
julieb123

i no what you mean one min good next not do you take a laxative i no there bad but i have been given one by me GI doctor and its working so far you may want give it a go
sodium picosulfate google it in i don't eat and fructose fruit to

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352901 - 12/01/09 02:54 PM
Gerikat

Well, Julie, it depends. I don't like to take a laxative, but sometimes it is necessary for me. I surely don't want to end up in the ER...impacted! However, I also experience D at times, so it is hard to balance. Sometimes, I just wish I was one or the other instead of both, ya know.

#352924 - 12/02/09 09:14 AM
julieb123

i no its mad that some of use have both and some stuffer c or d and we all have same illness how have you been to day i hope OK with a BM movement and no pain and a happy day

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

#352937 - 12/02/09 11:03 AM
Gerikat

No Julie, still on the C side, but no pain. Something that has really helped me with the gas/bloating is Digestive Advantage. That pill is amazing. I was taking it before, but stopped and switched to Align, (because many were saying it was better for IBS), but it did absolutely nothing for me.

I recently switched back to Digestive Advantage, and it is amazing with the bloat/gas. I take it in the evening before bed, and I expel all the gas before I fall asleep. When I wake up in the morning the bloat is minimal, even when I am very, very C. And the best part is, it is $8 per month, compared to Align at $30.

I can't rave enough about that probiotic.

#352938 - 12/02/09 11:06 AM
julieb123

m so so sorry you haven't had a BM to day i find some time kiwis help me go give them i try
i no what you mean i tried lots probiotics never helped me

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 443 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12590

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review