All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Best mood medications
      #352602 - 11/22/09 06:45 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

So I've finally noticed an almost direct correlation between an emotional upset and an IBS attack. Usually, it takes about 12-15 hours before symptoms show up, but it has consistently happened the last three times I got really upset and cried.

I now understand the role of emotional stress and IBS, thanks to Syl and Shawneric. My question is this: what are good medications to help me stop being so reactive in a stressful situation? I feel like my emotions simmer right below the surface and it doesn't take much to set them off. I am working on reigning that in, but now that I see the direct affect on my IBS, I am hoping to find a short term way to keep my emotional state more steady. Thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Best mood medications new
      #352605 - 11/23/09 07:48 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It may be that medications would help you, but I wonder if we'd be better off trying to handle our emotions better, rather than simply drugging them away.

Just speaking personally, I think what I need to work on is actually allowing myself to experience the emotion. Just sitting with the feeling for a few minutes, being with it. Then observing as the feeling passes.

I think my IBS is related to an inability to fully intergrate my emotions in a healthy way - therefore the emotions find their expression in the bowel. When I feel angry, for example, I automatically feel guilty or frustrated by my anger, and I rush to analyze/judge/reason with it. I rush to think before allowing myself to feel. And as a result I get stressed by the feeling. Instead of just acknowledging that anger is a normal human emotion and doesn't make me a bad person.

This is a long rambling which is maybe unhelpful to you. Point being that I think people with IBS truly need to learn how to cope with "bad" emotions like rage, sadness, envy, resentment - to accept them and realize that you are not your thoughts, that these feelings don't define you. Learn to recognize and have compassion for your feelings - through walking, talking, writing, breathing, meditating - instead of suppressing them with drugs, ignoring them, or pushing them down (into the bowel).
Just my two cents.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#352610 - 11/23/09 09:19 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Well said, Renee and I totally agree with you!

#352612 - 11/23/09 09:45 AM
frygurl

Hi Renee - I agree with you in some ways. I don't believe that medication is a long term solution to manage my emotions. In fact, I am proud of myself that I've managed this long with so many frustrating health problems without medications.

I believe that I need to do the hard work of allowing my emotions to come and go, and to feel okay with them being there without being reactive to them. I wasn't exactly clear in my previous post that I am doing this work. I am part of a weekly mindfulness group and an anxiety support group, as well as seeing a psychologist individually. I also practice yoga 2-3 times a week. So I am doing the work, but I also realize that this is going to be a very slow process to retrain my reactiveness.

Since realizing the direct correlation between IBS attacks and emotional upsets, and often the emotional setbacks I feel when these attacks happen, I began to wonder if my progress would be supported by temporary mood modification through medication. I am exhausted from this cycle and wonder if I can break it. It would certainly boost my morale, which I think in turn would help me with the work I am doing already to deal with my emotions in healthier ways.

I'm just not sure what types of medications would keep me from being reactive to every perceived stressor. Case in point, I had just cleaned the floors in my home because I was having a guest. Just before the guest came, my dog tracked mud into the house on my newly cleaned floors. I barely had time to wipe up the mud (which left the floors still looking dirty) before my guest arrived - so I got really upset and started crying. Such a silly thing, but this is how I am reacting to little things that upset me. The next morning, I had an IBS attack that lasted several hours.

Can anyone relate, or have advice about medications?

#352619 - 11/23/09 12:52 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I tried the Bach flower remedies per the suggestion of Gerikat. You might try that first and then if you still feel like you need something else, then follow that path. I also do not like taking medications, but I have had to take something when I was at my worst. I don't feel any shame in that. But agree that we have to learn to deal with our emotions. That's why I like the exercise and yoga. They make me feel better and calm. I usually do yoga every morning to set the day on that path. It can also be calming after a stressful day. But again, you might check with the Bach flower remedies.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

From Dr. Sarno's book new
      #352642 - 11/24/09 10:44 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

While one is diligently working on overcoming old ways of living, and making a new life, sometimes an SSRI is totally appropropriate to facilitate the goal and not be hindered by depression which is counterproductive (my thoughts).

Here is what Dr. Sarno says on page 104 of his book 'The Divided Mind':

"Altered serotonin chemistry is not a disorder. It is an emotionally induced chemical reaction resulting from the true symptom, which is depression."

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#352671 - 11/25/09 07:32 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sorry, Frygurl, I didn't mean to presume that you weren't using other way to help manage your stress levels.

I tend to prefer the naturopathic route and so have used herbs, bach flower remedies and such for stress. Lately I'm taking rhodiola daily, as well as things like putting a few drops of chamomile oil in an epsom salt bath, or lying with a warm castor oil pack, drinking lavender tea. I have taken Ativan and Clonapezam in the past but for a number of reasons decided to discontinue them.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Renee new
      #352673 - 11/25/09 09:49 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I to go the naturopathic route. I use the Flowers all the time. Love them! What is rhodiola and what does the chamomile oil in an epsom salt bath do? What does the warm castor oil pack do? I have never had lavender tea. Where do you purchase that? Please share. Much thanks!

#352674 - 11/25/09 10:32 AM
frygurl

Renee thanks for the info on naturopathic remedies. I do an epsom salt bath with a drop of lavendar, which is also very calming. I'll have to try chamomile. I use a castor oil pack three times a week for an hour - I always look forward to that time. The heat feels great on my belly, and I always save my favorite tv show to watch during that time. I need to keep experimenting with Bach flower remedies. I bought rescue remedy, and I don't notice much difference in my level of anxiety with it. I am interested in rhodiola - what is that?

I think I was having a hormone surge the past few days that brought on depression and weepiness. I am feeling better this morning, and less inclined to want medication. Sometimes I just feel desperate to stop sinking into a hole for a few days at a time. It is so exhausting. When I am at such low points as I have been for several days now, I have really dark thoughts that disturb me. That's when I start wondering if I need pharmaceutical intervention. But once I feel better, I realize how much I don't want to me medicated.

Anyway, I appreciate your responses. I hope you will accept the invitation I emailed you to join the Ning site.

#352686 - 11/25/09 12:44 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

You won't FEEL medicated at all with an SSRI, and you are not medicated in the way you might think. Does someone taking insulin feel medicated?... i.e. "drugged"... No.

You will only be yourself, absent the intrusions of broken neurological links that bring on seemingly crazy thoughts and actions, and/or physical symptoms, in this case IBS. Keeping serotonin production managed and linked can make all the difference in the world as to how we function both mentally and physically, absent the serotinin linked bowel problems.

Even so, stress causes IBS, and IBS causes stress. Therefore we need to keep the stress level down by not inviting more (even with 'no-no' foods) and dealing with that which we did not invite, doing so responsibly and calmly absent taking such into our own bodies.

I wish you the very best as you sort out these things for yourself, as no one else can nor should tell you what the answer is for you personally.

Have a wonderful Turkey Day!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7156

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review