All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Being afraid of food
      #3526 - 03/20/03 08:08 PM
Zaftig1

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: USA

I've never believed in weight loss dieting, I saw what it did emotionally to my mom and I swore even if I got to be 800 lbs I'd never diet. Yet I find that my IBS has caused me to think in some ways like a dieter!

I find myself looking at food and compartmentalizing them as either "bad" food or "good" food. "Bad" food being whatever triggers IBS attacks. I need to get out of thinking like this, but how?

I can't even hear the word "fried" without internally cringing, remembering what fried food does to me (vomiting, diahrrhea alternating with constipation, that drained feeling from being on the toilet for 4 hrs., collapsing in bed from exhaustion and dehydration after a long bout, etc.)

But IBS has made me afraid of certain foods, and has taken away my former enjoyment of eating. I come from two cultures (Italian and Jewish) in which eating food is part of enjoying life, being happy, and celebration. I can't enjoy food anymore...I eat it just because I have to, and most of the time I hardly taste it.

How can I get away from thinking like this?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind".

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Being afraid of food new
      #3536 - 03/20/03 11:34 PM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

I know what you mean, I stopped dieting and felt really freed to eat what I wanted again, then my ibs flared up. I find I have to remind myself I'm doing it for health not weight and I do let myself try 'bad' foods sometimes in a safe situation (at home, after soluble fiber foods). I'm usually fairly ok and if I'm not, I understand why and I deal with it. I can cope with that much better than unexpected attacks.
Perhaps if you try and relax about it as well, it wouldn't bring on an attack because you're less stressed about it - I definatly find stress and worrying a big factor for me
Hope this helps
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#3548 - 03/21/03 04:46 AM
Zaftig1

I thought I was the only person who did that (lol)...eating "bad" foods in small quantities, but making sure I do it at home only (where I can hog the bathroom for hrs if I need to!)

One thing that I need help with is the stress my kids give me constantly...they fight a lot and I can feel my stomach tense up whenever my daughter screams at my son for whatever it is today.

--------------------

#3554 - 03/21/03 05:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't have kids yet, but I teach five year olds. I've learned a lot this year about discipline. If there's any way I can help you with that--I'd be more than happy to do so!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3557 - 03/21/03 05:12 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

I think what's important to remember here is that you still have the power to make the choices in this scenario. You can choose to eat fried foods or go with the more ibs-safer foods.

Try to think of it from a different perspective - don't see it as a diet. See it as a choice. You're making an informed choice when eating certain foods to prevent you from feeling sick.

Hope that helps

#3572 - 03/21/03 07:21 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I cheat as well, but rather than preparing to get sick I just take one of the pills the Dr. prescribed to me. (Dicetol) I take one pill whenever I wanna eat "bad". I don't do this often - just enought to keep my sanity.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#3578 - 03/21/03 07:55 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

You sound like me. I can eat a little pizza and wings on Friday night if I know I am home. I hate denying my family this indulgence every once in a while. I usually get a little crampy and really gassy but oh it is so good.

My girls are starting to fight more and my three year old screams so loud, reminds me of myself when I was younger which irratates me more. It makes me tense especially when I have to scream to get them to hear me. I sometimes pick them up and put them in their rooms for a few minutes till I can talk to them calmly. They are still little.

#3579 - 03/21/03 07:59 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I have found kids at that age will listen to their teacher or other adults but not neccesarily to their parents. Of course, they know what mom will let them get away with so they will push. You have several five year old and they have to be good in order to run that class. Plus their is a little bit of a fear they have for their teacher. I hope you enjoy the age group, they are great.

#3586 - 03/21/03 08:25 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Zaftig - I know this sounds harsh, but what about a little "slap" when she or he screams. Are they old enough to talk to and tell them that when they scream, it's not appropriate behavior???

Can you tell I never had kids? Can you guess why????

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#3628 - 03/21/03 10:55 AM
Zaftig1

Kids are a royal pain in the a...yeah that comes from a mother of three! (LOL)

I usually try to send her to her room, but she WHINES which also drives me meshuggeh!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5683

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review