All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vacation.....good or bad
      #352370 - 11/17/09 06:59 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

Well just returned from vacation at the gulf yesterday. It was very difficult. I took some of my own food but had to go out to rest. several times. For some reason I think the stress of the whole vacation took its tole on me. The day after we arrived was my worst day. I had a severe attack as we were about to go walking on the pier. Dad and hubby went to the car show and mom and I returned to the room. I felt better later and laid by the pool overlooking the beach. The next day was great. I had no problems that day at all. We had lunch at Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville. Of all the rest. this one had the most options of what I couls eat. I had the grilled fish tacos no sour cream and salsa on the side. It came with rice and black bean soup. That night we cooked in our room. They had hamburgers and I had a chicken breast and baked potato. The next day we left and went to visit family in another town about an hour away. What I found the most difficult is that you are at the gulf which is known for seafood and most rest serve seafood but mostly friend. IMHO this just covers up the flavor. So I did find food choices but not always easily and I had to depend on my own food from home to get through the weekend. I could not wait to get home where I can cook and make foods I know I can have. I lost 5 lbs from last Thursday to today (Tues). I am not sure I will ever go on a vacation again. It was just too difficult to do what I needed to do with my IBS. Maybe once I get into a real routine it will be better. *sigh*

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vacation.....good or bad new
      #352378 - 11/17/09 10:47 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I'm so sorry that you such trouble on your vacation. I know exactly how you feel! I went to an out of town wedding this weekend, which I was under the impression would only be cocktails and appetizers as the reception. I figured I would grab dinner afterward. Well it turned out that there was a sit down dinner - there was absolutely nothing safe for me to eat! Even the rolls had butter brushed on top!! I ended up accidentally calling attention to my self by asking the server if they can do anything to accommodate my dietary restrictions, which was embarrassing and made everything worse. I was SO frustrated!! I ended up eating the inside of the bread rolls and a super dry piece of mahi mahi (i had to nix the sauce). I couldn't wait to go home so I could eat my safe food. This is certainly something I want to figure out because I want to be able to travel and feel well at the same time. One of my dreams is traveling the world with my husband, but I don't see that happening unless I can get a better handle on my IBS and not have to eat such a restricted diet. I thought dairy allergies and lactose intolerance was fairly common among the population, but you wouldn't know it the way restaurants sneak dairy into EVERYTHING. Today I found out a great new rest. that opened near our home marinates their chicken breast in something that contains butter. My grilled chicken breast has butter?! Nothing is safe!

#352379 - 11/18/09 05:28 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Do either of you use a anti anxiety pill?

I was also totally afraid of vacations and wouldn't eat anything for a couple days leading up to it and I wouldn't eat anything in a restaurant.
I got a lose dose Lorazepam and take half a pill about two hours before we leave and as needed during the trip.

It calms me down totally so I am not over analyzing everything .

Not stressing about the food is half the battle for IBS IMO

Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#352386 - 11/18/09 07:27 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Vacations can be very stressful because we are out of our comfort zones. The very best and most relaxing vacation I have ever had was when we went on a cruise. There were bathrooms all over the ship which made me relax and I didn't have a problem the whole week.

Sometimes it is difficult to find something to eat when going out. If I don't see anything that is safe I visit with whoever I have gone out with and then eat something when I get home. Sometimes I will start the evening off by saying I am not very hungry which saves me having to explain why I am not eating.

You are definitely not alone in your feelings about going out or going on vacation.

--------------------
Janey

#352478 - 11/19/09 05:07 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I do take an anxiety pill. I usually take 1/2 to 1 day but it can be taken up to three times. During vacation I would take 1/2 pill three times a day but I think I just froze up and didnt eat anything hardly the day we drove down and didnt drink hardly anything because I wanted to hurry and get down there without stopping (I have IBS-C). I think the lack of liquids, the lack of movement and also not taking my fiber like I should and the whole stress of it all was too much. It is all so vexing. I will try again though.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5852 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2117

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review