All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: post for Windhcimes new
      #352189 - 11/16/09 09:52 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Gerikat

No offence, but do you know all about your bodies enteric nervous system "brain in the gut" and how it all functions?

How many people do you think would be able to "guess' the neurotranmitter serotonin is messed up in IBS in the gut or see macroscopic inflammation in some IBSers embedded in the gut wall under layers of colon tissue?

I think, like I stated you know how you personally feel and your symptoms, not more about how your body actually works.

Modern researcher on IBS take a much more holitic view now then most alternative/holitic people I have seen on the web for years. Modern researchers treat the whole body, many alternative ones are trying to find one specific cause that they personally believe in and based on their limited knowledge, almost always without using actual IBS research they don't understand either, like food allergies or "leaky gut" or "Candida" or pathogens, even though they don't follow real IBS research and basically are using dualism, as opposed to modern researchers using a holitic approach to treating IBS.

Certain alternative and holistic practioners can't practice in some states. On the web they can get away with a lot more then they should be able too.

Also they don't do actual research on IBS.

Its a shame were not talking more about how to improve better doctor patient relationships.

You and Your Doctor: It Takes Two to Tango
by Pauline Salvucci, Self Care Connection

Your medical care is a two way street. In a good doctor patient relationship, you and your physician are accountable to one other. You have a right to good healthcare -- and you have a responsibility to get it. Distinguish yourself in the all too familiar world of impersonal healthcare and learn how to be your own best advocate.

http://www.healingwell.com/Library/health/article.asp?author=salvucci&id=5

The best approach is intergrative medicine.

National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine

What is CAM?
CAM is a group of diverse medical and health care systems, practices, and products that are not generally considered to be part of conventional medicine. While scientific evidence exists regarding some CAM therapies, for most there are key questions that are yet to be answered through well-designed scientific studies—questions such as whether these therapies are safe and whether they work for the purposes for which they are used.

Are complementary medicine and alternative medicine different from each other?
Yes, they are different.

Complementary medicine is used together with conventional medicine. An example of a complementary therapy is using aromatherapyA therapy in which the scent of essential oils from flowers, herbs, and trees is inhaled to promote health and well-being. to help lessen a patient's discomfort following surgery.
Alternative medicine is used in place of conventional medicine. An example of an alternative therapy is using a special diet to treat cancer instead of undergoing surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy that has been recommended by a conventional doctor.

What is integrative medicine?
Integrative medicine combines treatments from conventional medicine and CAM for which there is evidence of safety and effectiveness. It is also called integrated medicineAn approach to medicine that combines treatments from conventional medicine and CAM for which there is some high-quality scientific evidence of safety and effectiveness.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/whatiscam/overview.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: post for Windhcimes new
      #352190 - 11/16/09 10:17 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sorry, that post was directed at Windchimes.

Re: The watch comment... new
      #352193 - 11/16/09 10:22 AM
Gerikat

And on and on and on it goes, where it stops nobody knows. lol

Re: The watch comment... new
      #352195 - 11/16/09 10:33 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

There many many research doctors, organizations and even IBS suffers who are out there working extremely hard for funding for more IBS research, for public awreness, for accurate IBS information from reliable sources, for legtimizing and better able to diagnose the condition, looking for biomarkers, for helping others understnd it better even though it is super complex, researching every part of the body and how it functions and making a lot of progress. A lot of the progress and helpful information gets lost sometimes between the researchers and the regular md's and then further down to patients. Then people coming back to help try to share that information and help explain some of it.

Don't know why all that is a bad thing.

Knowledge about a health condition gives you some power and control over it.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

How does all this research help us through our daily lives with IBS? new
      #352205 - 11/16/09 12:07 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Okay, so there is research being done and there have been recent discoveries about the way IBS affects our nervous system, etc. But what does this information mean for us laymen who find these research studies completely esoteric? How does it help us through our daily lives with IBS?

None of the treatment options for IBS are very good - most of us still suffer on a daily basis and only manage to keep our symptoms under control by keeping a super restricted diet. I feel like I have very little power or control over this condition, even with all this information. It just leaves me more confused. The bottom line for most us is, how can we use this information to feel better?

For frygurl new
      #352208 - 11/16/09 12:13 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I agree completely. It doesn't matter if this condition is genetic or whatever. I happen to have it, and am looking to find day-to-day management of my symptoms.

However, I do believe in retraining the mind about food and healing whatever in the past led me along this miserable path. This is very different from all of this scientific stuff that sucks up a lot of time and energy reading and doesn't solve the problem at all... in fact some of it can just exacerbate MORE stress.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

YEP! you are on the right path to a better life! nt new
      #352209 - 11/16/09 12:16 PM
Windchimes

--------------------

It seems you are preaching to the choir! nt new
      #352210 - 11/16/09 12:18 PM
Windchimes

--------------------

Great Question new
      #352212 - 11/16/09 12:31 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Your question is excellent!

IBS is a complex disorder that the brightest scientific minds don't understand. But they are trying.

A good place to start is to follow Heather's EFI diet which is the primary purpose of this board. And ask questions about the diet and how to manage individual symptoms.

There lots of people with loads of experience that can help answer simple questions and interpret recent IBS findings in a simple way when possible.

If a new proven IBS management technique is found you are more likely to hear about on the board than from your GP or GI doctor. If something technical catches your eye and you want to know how you might use it then post a question asking for a simple explanation. Some times people can point you to a document you can print off and take to your doctor for further explanation or investigation.

Almost everyone on the board will tell that IBS is an individual thing. It involves a lot of trial and error. You are likely to run into many dead ends. The resources on this board will provide you with the best clues they can. It will be up to you find your individual solutions. It will be up to us to support you

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: For frygurl new
      #352214 - 11/16/09 12:36 PM
Gerikat

Yep!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4706 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 66442

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review