All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP! Must gain weight but I cant
      #352007 - 11/11/09 12:59 PM
jason61

Reged: 04/12/07

My biggest problem now is trying to eat foods that i'm not sensitive to, prevent constipation and gain weight and I just cant seem to find a balance. I can gain weight if I eat and snack all day, but a lot of the foods i need to gain weight will constipate me or i am sensitive to them. Right now i cant eat wheat, dairy, soy eggs so that leaves me with very little to consume. Also, if i stray from my diet even slightly i will get constipated. I would love to be able to have some kind of protein shake every morning (pea or hemp protein maybe) but i just know it will constipate me. Fiber does NOT work..I repeat fiber does not work for me...it bloats me up and makes me miserable. I can load up on fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish, nuts and I still have difficulty staying regular. I dont know anyone else like this..most people who are constipated can just increase fiber, water or drink prune juice but none of those things help me. my colon is so messed up and i just dont know how to survive anymore. I also have hemorhoids so if i get constipated they swell up..its like a never ending cycle and the only way to stay regular is to eat a very bland boring diet, which prevents me from putting weight on. Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP! Must gain weight but I cant new
      #352008 - 11/11/09 01:13 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Yep, I can understand what you are saying here, though for me it is the "D" end of IBS.

If I can offer anything here, it would be to get a rice cooker (under $20) at Wal-Mart, make a batch, and keep cooked rice in your frig at all times. A handful warmed in the microwave with whatever you can tolerate, such as finely chopped zuchinni, green onion, mushrooms, etc. Add a little low sodium soy sauce when you eat for additional flavor if you like.

All of this is a trial and error thing for each individual person. I don't think you can ever go wrong with white rice, nor sipping peppermint tea. I personally like the Jasmine rice. This also makes a great rice pudding with soy or rice milk, probably with almond milk as well.

We all need good nutrition, IBS or not. I also am finding the 'Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook' to be extremely helpful for me, and I've given the specs on that in another post to Little Minnie. The recipes certainly do satisfy the palate and do not tear up the gut.

Best to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Edited by Windchimes (11/11/09 01:17 PM)

#352009 - 11/11/09 01:16 PM
jason61

Thanks- I eat plenty of rice, even though i'm told some IBSers should keep carbs to a minimum. I must confess i feel better when i eat less carbs, but the pounds just fly off me. Theres clearly some kind if imbalance and I just dont know if It can ever be fixed

#352010 - 11/11/09 01:28 PM
Windchimes

I really don't think you should be so concerned about carbs if you are not overweight. Eat all of the rice and yolk-free noodles that appeal to you. Just watch the bad fats you might be tempted to put on these.

We who fight being underweight or losing weight also benefit from nuts and avacados. The nuts however need to be masticated into a butter, or close to it. Otherwise, it seems the roughage can make us miserable, just like raw lettuce does.

Also baked potatoes (absent dairy butter and dairy sour cream) are very good. Consider buying potato bread... I love that and it is thin sliced rather than those wide slices of other breads. If you like tuna, try putting tuna on this. I make tuna salad with very little low fat mayo, very finely chopped celery, and a little green onion. I seem to tolerate that quite well. You can also make chicken salad the same way with a poached or steamed chicken breast. The same would apply to salmon.

Gads, I think I'm actually getting hungry. Time to go see what I have in MY frig!

--------------------

#352018 - 11/11/09 03:13 PM
jason61

problem is i cant eat gluten, dairy, eggs, soy...so no mayo, butter or breads. I eat avocados like crazy...so much that im probly allergic to them now. i tested allergic to most nuts and in general they are quite constipating - open to other suggestions

#352021 - 11/11/09 04:14 PM
Windchimes

Gosh, this HAS to be difficult for you! If you are not doing street drugs, nor abusing prescription drugs, then I can only recomment that you find a good endocrinologist in your area who can test you.

There are allergy shots that de-sensitize people to specific allergens, though it seems that you might need to see someone more specialized in your personal needs, as suggested above.

Weight loss is not fun, I know that personally. Nobody wants to look like a skeleton, or dressed in things that look like they are still hanging on a clothing store rack with a human head attached.

I do hope you can find some personal solution, though seriously doubt you will find it on these boards if you have already explored and tried dietary suggestions that have worked for others. Not everything works for everyone. This is a personal path of trial and error, and after any underlying more serious medical conditions have been ruled out.

You might also try more light excercise, like simply walking around your neighborhood.

Are you taking soluable fiber and drinking teas?

Wishing you the best.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1851 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2248

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review