All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Watery D (Gross detail alert)
      #351871 - 11/09/09 08:39 PM
Digby

Reged: 07/31/04

My BMs can go from soft to loose to water. I feel like I need to go, but just a squirt of water comes out. Anyone else get the watery D? What do you do for it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Watery D (Gross detail alert) new
      #351895 - 11/10/09 11:07 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Do you have an IBS diagnoses?

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#351903 - 11/10/09 11:37 AM
Digby

My doctor has diagnosed me with IBS. But I recently had stool tests which show low amounts of good bacteria (two nonexistant), a couple of unfriendly bacteria, and a type of parasite that "most people have and we don't treat unless it gives you symptoms." I started on a probiotic, had horrible gas, shooting pains and bloating,and a week later there's something hard in my lower abdomen (not my appendix tho, I've had that removed), so my doctor is ordering a CT scan. I'm so frustrated, and worried.

#351914 - 11/10/09 12:30 PM
shawneric

Who did the stool tests?

What were the names of the unfreindly ones?

And what parasite was it?

--------------------

#351919 - 11/10/09 12:47 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I DO know this path. First of all you might want to pick up a box of 'Imodium Advanced' which you can purchase at any drug store, though in my area is the least expensive at Wal-Mart.

The other thing that really helps control the diarrhea is plain old white rice. This turns out best best in a rice cooker (get a simple one at Wal-Mart or K-Mart, about $20). Make a whole pot and store extra cooked rice in the frig. It can be easily re-warmed in the microwave for subsequent servings... lasts about a week cooked and stored in the frig.

Best to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#351920 - 11/10/09 12:54 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Digby, What you are describing sounds rather normal to me for IBS. I suggest that you order some of Heather's 'tummy tamer' and peppermint tea. Give that a go, and also you might want to pick up a bottle of live refrigerated good bacteria at your drug store and take that per the bottle instuctions.

I can definitely relate to your feelings of fear and stress about all of this, though I have personally found that there are some very simple solutions that work for most of us.

Blessings to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#351925 - 11/10/09 01:53 PM
Digby

My naturopath ordered the tests, they were done by Doctor's Data Lab. Of the good bacteria, I had zero lactobacillus and enterococcus. I was low on Bifidobacterim, and E. coli spp (the good kind). I had an imbalance of Bacillus spp. and Alpha Haemolytic strep. The parasite is Dientamoeba fragilis.

#351930 - 11/10/09 02:18 PM
shawneric

The gut bacteria can change and do change quite a bit, depending on a lot of things, diet, stress, meds ect.. It can also be hard to interpret results from these kinds of tests. It is odd no lactobacillus.

Have you told your regular doctor about the Dientamoeba fragilis. It can sometimes cause symptoms. A person can have IBS and other conditions. As well as the bacteria issues?

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/dientamoeba/factsht_dientamoeba.htm

"What are the symptoms of infection with Dientamoeba fragilis?
Many infected people do not have any symptoms. The most common symptoms are diarrhea, stomach pain, and stomach cramping. Loss of appetite and weight, nausea, and fatigue also are common. The infection does not spread from the intestines to other parts of the body."

If I were you I would see a regular doctor and get checked out and tell them about these results.

--------------------

#351971 - 11/10/09 07:35 PM
Digby

Thanks Shawneric. Actually, it was my regular GP who diagnosed the D Fragilis about a year ago. I started tetracycline for it and had such horrible stomach pain that she told me to stop taking it. She ran another (single) stool sample a month later and didn't pick up any of the parasites. Recently I asked her to run more stool samples, but she didn't think it necessary. So I went to my naturopath to get the samples done. I brought the results to my GP and she said she doesn't recognize these results. She wanted to do her own samples. So here we go again. I just want to have normal BMs!
I wonder if my horrible bloating and gas are from the bacteria?

Edited by Digby (11/10/09 08:18 PM)

#352060 - 11/12/09 08:22 AM
shawneric

Bacteria may contribute, or it could be the IBS, or both.

It might help to try probiotics.

--------------------

More test results new
      #352094 - 11/13/09 11:39 AM
Digby

My GP ran her own set of stool tests. The lab didn't pick up on any parasites. Hmm. Which lab results do I believe? My CT Scan showed "nothing significant," so I don't know what's causing the hard thing I feel in my abdomen. My doctor thinks it's all related to spastic colon.

Re: More test results new
      #352096 - 11/13/09 12:50 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

It must feel good to know that nothing detectable is wrong. Typical of IBS

As for you question about which test results to believe? Results from labs that GPs use frequently have better quality control than other labs perhaps due to doctor liability issues and the like.

Are you still having D issues that you originally posted about? If yes, can you tell us what meals and snacks you have been eating?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352097 - 11/13/09 01:52 PM
Digby

I've been on a bland diet since Monday. Boiled chicken, white rice, bananas, rice bread toast, chicken broth, mashed potatoes and zucchini (skinless), applesauce. My tummy still hurts. And I bloat with anything I take in, even water. This morning I had gluten-free oatmeal cooked with some blueberries, and almond milk. I haven't had a BM since this morning, and it was loose. Yesterday after drinking the barium "smoothies" I had urgency and watery D. I barely made it to the restroom at the hospital. The rest of the day it was loose or watery.
I'm afraid to try probiotics again, because I had such horrible gas and bloating, and developed this hard thing in my abdomen. I read a recent post about the emotional connection and IBS, and that plays a big part for me. I've been an anxious wreck the past two weeks, and very depressed. The tummy troubles trigger my anxiety, which then triggers my tummy troubles and so on. Sigh. In addition, I'm fairly certain I'm sensitive to gluten, because when I cut it out for six weeks I felt great. Then something happened, I don't know what, that caused this ongoing cycle of D again. I feel like I'm getting worse, not better, and don't know what diet to follow at this point.

#352099 - 11/13/09 02:27 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yep! Stress and anxiety are a big IBS triggers for all of us.

The diet sounds good. One thing you might experiment with is removing the applesauce for a day or two and see what happens.

By chance did you check the ingredients in the probiotics you were taking? Sometimes it isn't the probiotic that causes the problem but the added ingredients. However, it is known that when you start a probiotic you can experience an increase in gas and bloating for a week or so.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 784 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review