All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Gallstones?
      #351751 - 11/06/09 05:44 PM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

Hi all- ive had this strange pressure/stiffness on my right side below the rib cage for a few weeks and am concerned it might be gallstones. no pain though. i have been eating a ton of avocados for the past several months and lately notice that they give me indigestion. since avocados are high in fat i made the connection to my gall bladder. should i see a doctor? i really need a break from doctors and tests, but want to stay on top of this

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gallstones? new
      #351752 - 11/06/09 06:17 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I had a tightness,pain,tinge,catch in my right side. I did not have any gallstones but my gallbladder was not functioning correctly.....I noticed it more when I ate fatty foods, red meats, etc......that was before I realized I had IBS or would not have been eating them anyway. But I had it removed. They did a HIDA scan test for the function of the gall bladder. Thats how I knew....the ultrasound showed no stones. Its worth asking about.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351755 - 11/06/09 09:51 PM
jenny833

Was it really necessary to get it removed? I heard that it could make IBS/digestion worse and predispose you to gastric disease.

#351763 - 11/07/09 06:02 AM
bamalakegirl30

Although my IBS is IBS-C I was also worried about the possibility of D but I have not had any problems. My doctor said the percentage of people who get D is very low. I did have to have mine out as it was only functioning at 11% if I recall. I feel so much better. I know that they do not know exactly what causes IBS but I was reading where they have found some correlation between people who have suffered trauma to the stomach area like people who have gone to other countries and gotten sick with D from the water etc so I considered that it is possible that my ill functioning gall bladder may have brought on or exacerbated my IBS. I dont know that it caused it, because I have had stomach issues in the past. If you have IBS-D, you may have to really consider the gall bladder issue. If it is actually not functioning, you will probably have to have it removed eventually. One of my inlaws had to have hers removed and at that point it had hardened which made it a little more serious. You really should discuss it extensively with your GP or GI doctor and see how sure they are that it is your gall bladder. I would not have it removed just because they "think" it could be bad. Make them give you the test. I think there are a couple.....mine was the HIDA scan. They put die into you and then wait and then give you another shot of something that is supposed to make your gall bladder contract and expand and then they take a series of x-rays of your gall bladder. Mine looked the same in every photo which means it was not contracting and expanding.

--------------------

#351765 - 11/07/09 07:32 AM
jenny833

Thanks for all the info. My problem is IBS-C and I also have celiac & food sensitivities , cutting out various foods and supplementing my diet with enzymes and probiotics has helped somewhat but im still not 100%. about 2 months ago my liver ALT enzyme came back slightly elevated and still is, however, i am now on milk thistle, dandelion root and n- acetylcysteine for liver support and am cutting out beef and avocados for a while, but as i said i have noticed that tightness in my side. im hoping it will pass but i may go to my gastro this week to discuss. i really hope i dont have more problems on top of what i already have...ive been thru hell and just want a break from it all

#351766 - 11/07/09 09:12 AM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

I had my gallbladder removed April 08..gallstones. I had horrible gallbladder attacks for years which was passed off as IBS!!! I've had a break from IBS symptoms for about a year after having it removed, but has come back after my knee replacement surgery. The "attacks" I get now are nothing compared to how I suffered for years from the poorly functioning gallbladder. Noone ever spoke to me about a HIDA scan...which they had!!

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351772 - 11/07/09 10:32 AM
jenny833

isnt there a way to dissolve the stones with medication? is surgery always necessary?

#351786 - 11/07/09 04:39 PM
bamalakegirl30

I don't know if gallstones can be dissolved (like kidney stones) and I think even if they are, the actual gall bladder is still not functioning correctly so the problem will persist (if it is actually gall bladder/gall stones). At this point, if I had to go back, I'd still do it no question. I feel so much better even with the IBS-C. The gall bladder malfunction does not always produce stones so if you don't have them, it doesn't necesarily mean that the gall bladder is functioning correctly. Just follow through with the doctor and ask him/her to explore all possibilities.

--------------------

#351791 - 11/07/09 08:48 PM
jenny833

thanks

can having your GB removed increase your chances of cancer? I already have celiac and food allergies and am concerned that if i need to have it removed my health will further deteriorate

Re: Gallstones? Barbie Question new
      #352078 - 11/12/09 05:54 PM
KatheC

Reged: 04/20/09
Loc: AZ, USA

What does a gallbladder attack feel like?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2958 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7949

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review