All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sugar Subsitute
      #351445 - 11/01/09 12:49 PM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Hi...does anyone use a natural sugar subsitute that is safe? I know white sugar is safe but I use way too much of it and need to cut back. I am scared to try anything like stevia or truvia. Has anyone used these? Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sugar Subsitute new
      #351449 - 11/01/09 01:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Stevia is fine as long as it is pure with no added ingredients. Frequently stevia is packaged with other ingredients such as inulin or FOS which are not IBS friendly. I find it has a strange kind of sweetness but not unpleasant.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351453 - 11/01/09 04:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The new product that is a mix of stevia and sugar should taste better. It is called something like Sun crystals or something sunny like that. I can't remember right now.
Now brand stevia tastes way better than the green box brand for pure stevia!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#351470 - 11/02/09 08:21 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

Thank you both! We have Truvia here at work and I did try it once and thought it tasted weird but I can't recall how I felt after I drank it. I will have to check out that new stevia/sugar mix you recommended and pay close attention to the ingredients like you both suggested. Thanks!

#351508 - 11/02/09 04:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Stevia itself has no side effects. It is an herb like basil, then dried and refined. I have grown it. It is unbelievably sweet! but the unrefined powder tastes like hay. I haven't tried truvia brand because I always buy Now brand stevia. The new brand is called Sun Crystals I think and is near the sugar at supermarkets.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4240

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review