All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Need help please
      #351397 - 10/31/09 09:20 AM
jenny833

Reged: 11/05/05

I am taking natural calm, glutamine, a buffered vit C complex, zinc (all powder that i dissolve in water at night) probiotics, and N acetylcysteine and have been having extremely hard stools. I get the urge to go every morning, but the stools are ROCK HARD and i basically have to pull them out because they are so hard to pass (sorry for the visual) shouldnt the magnesium help me go easily? why is this happening? it almost seems like my bowels arent retaining enough water so the first part of the BM dries out completely

Edited by jenny833 (10/31/09 09:37 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

139 VIEWS and NO RESPONSE? COME ON PEOPLE new
      #351404 - 10/31/09 11:34 AM
jenny833

Re: Need help please new
      #351408 - 10/31/09 11:51 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

What's your fiber intake like? Are you taking a supplement? My stools have become easy to pass, bulky, and daily with 20 grams of acacia fiber daily.

#351410 - 10/31/09 11:52 AM
jenny833

I can't tolerate any fiber supplements at all...they bloat me up and sometimes make matters worse. ive tried acacia and the bloat is awful

#351411 - 10/31/09 11:56 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

That's too bad about the fiber. It's really what your body needs to soften your bowel movements. A lot of people on the board have great success with miralax. I haven't used it personally, but you could do a search for it to find out more.

Re: 139 VIEWS and NO RESPONSE? COME ON PEOPLE new
      #351416 - 10/31/09 12:16 PM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

Don't be shy, its the best place to voice how your doing and to learn new ideas!! I love online support groups!!!

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351417 - 10/31/09 12:24 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

What are the names of the soluble fiber supplements you have tried other than acacia?

What probiotic are you taking?

Please list the foods and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351422 - 10/31/09 05:49 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The hardness of your stools doesn't mean your "bowel isn't retaining enough water. What happens in the bowel is that water is gradually withdrawn from the stool - so the longer the stool stays in your bowel, the more water is absorbed and the harder/drier your stool is. Natural Calm draws water into the bowel to hydrate stools, but that doesn't seem to be helping you. Just wondering, is it possible you are not keeping yourself hydrated enough? And are you taking a soluble fibre supplement? That should help keep your stools soft and full.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#351428 - 11/01/09 07:43 AM
jenny833

pretty much every thing, fibercon, fibersmart metamucil...they just make things worse.

im taking Symbion and ther-biotic probiotics

#351430 - 11/01/09 08:10 AM
jenny833

seems like its more dependant on what i consume. certain supplements and too many of them will often cause a problem, but i need to be on the supplements so its making it very difficult

#351431 - 11/01/09 08:58 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Are you drinking 8 full glasses of water day? For me personally, this helps a lot. And I sometimes take a bigger dose of magnesium before bed if things seem to need softening up (Up to 750 mg). I will almost always have a better morning "go" session afterwards.

#351432 - 11/01/09 09:10 AM
Syl

What kind of problems do you have with fiber supplements? If your problem is gas you might try Benefiber. Some people have had good success with it.

Symbion contains the following ingredients
Ingredients: Bacillus coagulans (200 million CFU*), Bacillus subtilis (100 million CFU), Enterococcus faecium (100 million CFU). Fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS).

Besides the probiotics Ther-Biotic contains other Ingredients: Inulin base derived from chicory root, InTactic® proprietary polysaccharide complex, vegetarian capsule (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, water), and L-leucine.

FOS and inulin are known to be IBS unfriendly. You can read what Heather has to say about them here and here

Please list the meals and snacks you have eaten in the past 2-3 days. It sounds like you are not getting enough fiber in your diet.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#351433 - 11/01/09 09:13 AM
jenny833

the FOS and inulin dont bother me...also, they are consumed very rapidly by he bacteria. i took 1/4 teaspoon of acacia yesterday and am very bloated today, cant do benefiber cause it contains wheat

as for food...chicken, rice pasta w/ tomato sauce, potatoes green beans. im thinking the tomato sauce might be the culprit actually but i never know

#351434 - 11/01/09 09:22 AM
Syl

It is precisely the fact that inulin and FOS are fermented rapidly by colonic bacteria that it is best for IBSers to stay away from them. Rapid fermentation of inulin and FOS produces gases and byproducts that can act as IBS triggers.

Benefiber does not contain wheat or gluten. It contains a dextrin that is extracted from wheat. It is similar to the fact that white sugar that is extracted from sugar beets does not contain beets.

From the foods you listed is sounds like you are definitely not getting anywhere enough fiber in you diet.

Tomato sauce has been reported to be a problem for many people.

Good luck

--------------------

#351436 - 11/01/09 09:38 AM
jenny833

the probiotics havent been bothering me, in fact theyve been helping but im thinking the tomatos or the other supplements are the problem. how else can i introduce more fiber? i cant use benefiber because i have celiac...so nothing derived from wheat

#351439 - 11/01/09 10:00 AM
Syl

You can get more fiber from fruits and veggies.

Have you tried either Align or VSL#3? Both of these probiotics have been clinically tested on IBS patients, they don't contain wheat and the ingredients are IBS safe.

--------------------

#351440 - 11/01/09 10:12 AM
jenny833

yes but they have dairy...cant do dairy either sux!

#351454 - 11/01/09 04:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Three people are now asking, do you drink enough water? IBSers with C can handle more than the 8 glasses. Talking it hot with or without herbal tea helps the most. Make sure you aren't eating completely FF. If you can't handle a fiber supplement are you getting enough dietary fiber? Have you taken laxatives in the past? If so your motility could be affected long term and it takes a while of doing things right to counteract that.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 314 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7276

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review