All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question for Syl and others who are stable
      #351320 - 10/28/09 09:49 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Syl, I know you keep a really strict diet to control your symptoms. Do you think your gut will ever heal, or do you think you will have to keep this diet the rest of your life? I wonder how realistic it is for me to expect to someday feel more normal.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Syl and others who are stable new
      #351322 - 10/29/09 05:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I keep very strict control over my diet. Unfortunately diet will never produce healing. It is only a way of managing IBS symptoms it is not a cure. I never expect to feel normal again until medicine figures out what causes IBS and what cures it. I don't expect this to happen in my life time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351332 - 10/29/09 08:47 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Well, I hope they're able to figure something out in my lifetime! It seems to me progress is being made. I haven't had this long (9 months) but from my reading the probiotic craze is only a couple of years old and that has helped a lot of people. The webpages about IBS all note a whole lot of things have been learned in the past 10 years or so. I intend to donate money to organizations and researchers looking for a cure. There are so many of us, if everyone chipped in $100, well, money talks, y'know?

#351345 - 10/29/09 09:55 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I have gone for a couple months at a time and been ok, but every time I try to incoporate something that goes off the plan, then I am back to square one. That is me now. I swear if I get this under control again I will be so strict on following the plan. The bad thing is when you are stable you start to feel close to normal again and so you think you can go back to whatever you used to do. The thing is, that normalcy is coming from following the diet. I think I'd rather feel like that and not have my bad food stuff.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351346 - 10/29/09 10:09 AM
frygurl

Right now I am on a super restricted diet, but it's not a good long term way to live. I am worried that I will have to keep this diet to keep my symptoms under control. Right now I am working hard to improve my health and well being so I can enjoy my life. I feel like I am working towards something, ultimately healing my gut so I can function and eat more normally. I wonder if that's realistic. As you said, you feel well if you stick to a specific diet, as do many stable IBSers. But I keep thinking if I find the right treatments, I will heal. I want to heal.

Frygirl new
      #351348 - 10/29/09 11:49 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

May I suggest a book to you. Actually, I cannot take credit for it...PMartin, who is a poster on this board, brought it to my attention. It is called, "The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders." It is by Dr. John Sarno.

I am only in the beginning of the book, but I find it fascinating and almost can't put it down. It can get rather technical, but if you stay with it, I think you will find it very informative.

It may give you hope that the body DOES have the ability to heal itself. Remember, attitude/emotions and your outlook on life, are the biggest part of the journey.

HTH

Re: Frygirl new
      #351349 - 10/29/09 12:06 PM
frygurl

Thanks Gerikat! I actually read about it the other day too, and I ordered it from Amazon. I can't wait to read it.

#351350 - 10/29/09 12:37 PM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

Thank you for mentioning the books. I picked both of these books up today at my local library....I can't wait to read them. Makes alot of sense to me and if it can help me anyway, I'm all for it

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351352 - 10/29/09 12:51 PM
Gerikat

Good for both of you Barbie and Frygirl. And thanks to PMartin for bringing it to our attention!

#351353 - 10/29/09 12:53 PM
Syl

Let's hope they find a cure soon. The probiotic research began in the late 1990s and it began to be taken seriously about five years ago.

Apparently in 2006 the NIH awarded awarded 53,285 grants totaling $21 billion dollars. Only 56 of these projects focused on IBS and they received about $19 million dollars which is peanuts for a syndrome that affects 10-15% of the population.

In the US the The International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders has been trying to get Congress to Support the Irritable Bowel Syndrome Research and Treatment Act. I don't know how much progress they have made. It might be worth while finding a way to support this movement.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

This is now normal ... -nt- new
      #351364 - 10/29/09 07:31 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#351387 - 10/30/09 07:32 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Syl, I find it curious that your statements about a "cure" don't seem to take into account the mind-body connection that is well-supported by the research. Is there no part of you that conceives of IBS as an imbalance symptomatic of something larger, i.e. issues not dealt with (esp. control issues), patterns of coping, beliefs and fears? I have long stopped believing that diet alone is the answer for me. I eat the exact same thing now as I did 3 months ago and I'm about 10 times worse. Which is why I am working on the possible emotional/spiritual reasons behind my illness. I believe that my IBS is my body telling me that there is something I need to learn/change in my life. Energy medicine, the chakras, psychotherapy, meditation - is there room for any of that in your conception of a cure? I also believe I can heal myself from IBS, do you?

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

healing ourselves new
      #351388 - 10/30/09 08:05 PM
frygurl

Thank you so much for posting this! I've come to realize how many unresolved issues I have and that I will not heal until I deal with these. So this is where my focus is shifting in my IBS treatment. And I do believe in my body's ability to heal itself.

#351389 - 10/30/09 10:15 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Very well said, renee21. I too believe IBS is a red flag telling us something is amiss in our lives. Although I am currently modifying my eating habits, I'm taking even greater care to get at the cause or causes.

Brain-Gut Dysfunction new
      #351391 - 10/31/09 06:10 AM
Syl

Oh - I definitely believe in the mind-body connection. However, IBS is consider to be a brain-gut dysfunction. It is not the same thing. A brain-gut dysfunction doesn't mean that IBS is in your mind. It just means that the communication between the brain and the gut are messed up. There are many physical reasons a gut-brain dysfunction might occur. Here is how Heather describes it.

Quote:

This means that IBS is indisputably a physical problem. Simply put, the brain-gut interaction of people with IBS influences their bowel pain perception and motility. In a nutshell, the processing of pain information within the central nervous system varies between normal individuals and those of us with IBS, with the result that we can experience even normal GI contractions as painful. The interactions between our brains, central nervous systems, and GI systems are just not functioning properly. We have colons that react to stimuli that do not affect normal colons, and our reactions are much more severe.

It is possible that the origins of IBS may be in the brain and not in the bowel. This doesn't mean that it IBS is "all in our heads" but that the underlying physical problem might be in our brains but not in our imaginations. IBS doesn't have emotional/spiritual cause it has physical cause somewhere in the brain-gut interaction. However, there is no question that one's emotional as well as one's physical state can exacerbate IBS symptoms.

Diet is just a tool for managing some IBS symptoms. It definitely isn't a cure. Likewise, meditation, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy and other emotional/spiritual measures are only tools for managing IBS too. I have found some of them to be quite effective. I have taught others a few of these techniques. However, like diet they are not a cure either. I am quite certain that when a cure shows up it will not be dietary, emotional or spiritual -- it will be medical.

I definitely don't believe that I can heal my IBS myself. IBS is not a emotional or spiritual problem that you can solve on your own. It is a physical problem for which we currently have a poor understanding and we are still waiting for a cure. Let's hope it doesn't take too long

--------------------

Re: Brain-Gut Dysfunction new
      #351533 - 11/03/09 08:08 AM
renee21

Hi Syl,
For the record, I am not disputing that IBS is a mind-gut dysfunction. I know it's not just "all in my head". What I'm struggling with is the reason WHY - why did my mind-gut connection go haywire and why won't it get back on track? Our bodies, after all, are designed to heal. You seem to be of the school of thought that IBS just "is", and therefore let's get on with finding ways to manage symptoms. I'm not saying that's a wrong way of looking at it. Indeed I'm far from certain in what I believe. However in reading a lot of new-age/self-help stuff (Deepak Chopra etc), I am considering the idea that my illness has meaning; it's not just an unlucky hand of cards. A body that persists in being sick may be telegraphing a very strong message about the spirit that this body is housing. Perhaps our experiences and emotions get imprinted into our cellular memory. Perhaps we are not only what we eat, but we are also what we think and how we feel. Just a thought.

--------------------

#351541 - 11/03/09 10:16 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI, because I am having this discussion with another person, but the info might help here. This isn't so much in order though.

Also since the exact causes or cause have not been found yet, modern research is trying hard to figure it all out and it is extremely complex, but its at the point of managing the symptoms, until they can isolate issues to "cure" them. Its not as cut and dry as a lot of people might believe, because they are so many complex connections, genes, chemicals, bacteria, nerve firing, the brain in the gut, the brain, stress, emotions all kinds of issues. All that work together and many ways to not work together in disharmony.

"Modern research over the last ten years has shown that both the brain and the gut are operational to cause the very real physical symptoms"

For sure the body influences the mind and the mind influences the body, especially in IBS, because of the extremely close connections of the way the digestive system and the brain function together. Even the immune system and working of the digestive system are connected to functioning of the brain. The brain is the boss, even though the digestive system can basically run on its own. They are connected via the vagus nerve and develop together from the embryo.

This is actually western medicince taking a more holistic approach to diseases. Science has moved away from Dualism: a theory that proposes a separation between the mind and the body. towards Holism: a theory built upon the foundation that the mind and body are integrated
and utterly inseparable.

History of Functional Disorders

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/historyfunctionaldisorders.pdf

Have you also ever heard of the fight or flight responce?

Do you ever worry about an attack coming on? Do you ever worry or fear not finding a bathroom? Do you ever have antisapatory anxiety about going somewhere when your gut is acting up? Do you have any emotional responces to having IBS at all?

IBS is physical and not made up, but the connections to the body are extremely important. Some psychological treatments also work for IBS and have the most effective rates statistically then any other treatments, but they are working on the PHYSICAL underlying disorder.

Think about this some and if you have any questions let me know.

Here are two articles very much worth reading.

Gut Feelings: The Mind-Body Connection

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/mindbodygut;$sessionid$TJVAS2IAAETVTWCYSYZSFEQ

Gut Thoughts

http://www.kiwiterapi.dk/index.php?id=42

and

Excellent overview on IBS from John Hopkins Gatroenterology and Hepatology.

http://www.hopkins-gi.org/GDL_Disease.aspx?CurrentUDV=31&GDL_Cat_ID=024CC2E1-2AEB-4D50-9E02-C79825C9F9BF&GDL_Disease_ID=F5E21D6B-A88E-44F9-900F-7E295C50D38B

You can also fight pain via the brain, since it is processed there or by changing whats called the "pain gate" pathways.

However that is differnent then researchers and the mechanisms of how digestion works. Serotonin for example is released from the gut and goes to the brain to signal pain, but the brain also signals back to the gut. So far there are abnormalities in both the brain and the gut. Hence a brain gut axis dysfuntion, which doesn't mean its all in someones head or they are making it up its still very physical. Basically that is where they have been know for longer then five years. For example the HPA axis can cause neurogenic inflammation in the gut through the stress responce. Th fight or flight is hardwired to the brain. The immune system is also connected to the HPA axis. What they have now done is combined how the whole body works instead of just the physiology of the gut, because of the major influence of the brain gut connections.

Two people can have the same abnormalities and have different symptoms. Lots of factors come into play then.

I am very familar with Dr. Michael Gershon work and the article, the article I posted has him and DR woods an expert also, who coined the term 'brain in the gut". I am also in contact with Dr Drossman the chairman of the rome committe and one of the world experts, and many other experts in IBS. By the way you can ask him questions tomorrow free on a live chat.

http://www.uncmedresearch.com/PALSchat/UNCchat.php

Do you know who Dr Drossman is and what he does in functional GI disorders.

This is also some material for you.

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/public_education_materials.htm

also read the one that says

"Irritable Bowel Syndrome by Lin Chang, MD (You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this article. Click here to get the free Acrobatt Reader.)"

and the other links here as well. Dr Mayer from UCLA is also one of the worlds leading experts on IBS. The UNC is studying the gut brain and UCLA the brain and they are sharing the research all over the world.

http://www.ibs.med.ucla.edu/PatientArticles.htm

Have you ever seen Pet or fmri scans of IBSers?

I asked Dr Drossman a while ago about foods, but

"The cause of IBS is yet to be determined. However, modern research understands IBS as a disorder of increased reactivity of the bowel, visceral hypersensitivity and dysfunction of the brain-gut axis. There are subgroups being defined as well, including post-infectious IBS which can lead to IBS symptoms. Other work using brain imaging shows that the pain regulation center of the brain (cingulate cortex) can be impaired, as well as good evidence for there being abnormalities in motility which can at least in part explain the diarrhea and constipation. So finding a specific "cause" of IBS has grown out of general interest in place of understanding physiological subgroups that may become amenable to more specific treatments. Hope that helps.
Doug "

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

You might also be interested in these state of the art videos.

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/learning-center/video-corner/

Worry is a type of stress, as is anxiety, fear, and others, but also not just mental stressors but physical ones as well, say the temperture of foods, weather and other factors there too. Again stress to homeostasis. Its homeostasis and partly how that works.

When you get a chance also on anxiety and how its hard wirded to the brain. I think you might find it interesting.

Time magazine The science of anxiety.

http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/2002/0826/anxiety/story.html

There are stress hormones and neurotransmitters connected to the gut and to the brain and to stressors. Some people also have IBS more severe then others and that even makes a difference. So even the physiological cell changes in the gut can effect the brain and then the brain back to the gut. This opens up more treatment options.

One more for you both on the same page.

Fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome: How real must they be?

"Letter to the Editor, New York Times
Dear Editor:

We are writing to you as academic gastroenterologists with careers in the scientific investigation and clinical care of patients with gastrointestinal disorders, as well as the executive directors from an international patient advocacy group for the functional gastrointestinal disorders, including irritable bowel syndrome. We are compelled to address the comments made by Alex Berenson in his recent article "Drug Approved. Is Disease Real?" (Jan. 14, 2008). We do understand his concerns that massive direct to consumer marketing efforts for common medical disorders may be a thinly veiled strategy for a pharmaceutical company to obtain a quick profit. Certainly this is an important issue to study. However to adequately explore this question would require attention to the specific features of the therapeutic agent and its risk/benefit ratio, the type of disorder being treated and its health care impact, and the needs and interests of the patient.

The more critical issue we want to address is the impact of Mr. Berenson's statements which seek to make these points by relegating fibromyalgia or as stated, IBS to a "nebulous" state, something not real. "

Really worth reading.

Interpreting pain sensitivity in irritable bowel syndrome: what's the cause?

"1.The human pain experience is multidimensional. It is influenced by a variety of factors, including input from sensory nerve pathways, cognitive and emotional factors, the general homeostatic state of the organism, and by recall of past memories and experiences. This "deconstruction" of the human pain experiences into its multiple neurobiological dimensions has only recently become possible using sophisticated neuroimaging techniques of the brain. At the level of the brain, there is no distinction between psychological and physiological mechanisms (a main hypothesis of the authors is that there is such a distinction). Even though some aspects of the pain experience are generated in the brain by limbic circuits (such as arousal or anxiety) and others by cortical pathways (such as belief systems and coping skills) all pain dimensions are generated by neurobiological activity. "

http://www.aboutibs.org/site/news-events/news/commentary#Pain

The experts are trying hard to educate primary care, gi doctors and the public that it is a REAL Psychophysiological disorder. Hence one reason I was showing you the article. But also the one on pain.

"Psychophysiology is the branch of physiology that is concerned with the relationship between mental (psyche) and physical (physiological) processes; it is the scientific study of the interaction between mind and body. The field of psychophysiology draws upon the work of physicians, psychologists, biochemists, neurologists, engineers, and other scientists.

A psychophysiological disorder is characterized by physical symptoms that are partly induced by emotional factors. Some of the more common emotional states responsible in forming illness include anxiety, stress, and fear. Common psychosomatic ailments include migraine headaches, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), arthritis, ulcerative colitis, and heart disease."

There has been this seperation in the past and it has hindered very important research, now they are moving to holitic and there is no seperation between mind and body, or brain and body.

Stress and foods don't cause IBS, but can be major factors in generating symptoms for most IBSers, especially those with moderate to severe IBS. Even the act of eating which is in part a neurological mechanism.

When they poll IBSers on stress and symptoms the statistical numbers are very high. I don't think many doctors that have even slightly studied IBS, believe anymore its not real disorder or someone is making it up, maybe a few. But they also don't have time to explain all the connections in short visits. I have seen a lot of doctors and have had two bad experiences out of perhaps ten doctors or more. The two bad experience was with one, a RN Nurse who are now doing more doctor type practices and one primary care doctor. None with any gi specialists personally.

A good doctor-patient relationship is very important in helping someone treat there IBS.

I agree with you in finding physical abnormalities and they are looking both in the brain and in the gut and how they both communicate. There are bottom up models and top down models.

There are also impairments to the brain seen in IBSers with pet and fmri scans being studied.

Funny you should mention "inflammatory cytokines", because they too

"A chain of events that begins with stress and/or depression can lead to increased production of proinflammatory cytokines, thus raising the risk for certain diseases and conditions linked to inflammation."

http://nccam.nih.gov/news/newsletter/2008_october/stresslink.htm

Hence one reason why I mentioned neurogenic inflammation stress can cause or reactivate inflammation. The stress system helps fight infections and can effect the immune system.

Proinflammatory Cytokine Gene Polymorphisms in Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19844779?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=2

anti-anxiety medications are not just because of anxiety, but as I mentioned before serotonin is the neurotransmitter from the gut that signals to the brain pain, so altering it can have an effect both on the gut and the brain. I agree sometimes they are given out to quickly to people.

The Use of Antidepressants in the Treatment of IBS and Other Functional GI Disorders - C. Dalton and D. Drossman

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/antidepressants.pdf

Also like I said psychological treatments have shown to be very effective for IBS, specifically Gut directed hypnotherapy and CBT as well as a few others. So they might not cure someone completely, but they can majorally reduce the symptoms and help a person quality of life and management. For example and this was done and has been done for the last 20 years by a senior GI doctor in England.

"New York Times - Let the Mind Help Tame An Irritable Bowel

The brain has the ability to inhibit sensations from the gut. But, as Dr. Gerson put it, "I.B.S. patients tend to be hypervigilant — too aware of what is going on in their gut." Through techniques like hypnotherapy and cognitive-behavioral therapy, it is possible to change how the brain perceives what is happening in the body.

In hypnotherapy, patients learn to visualize their colon as functioning more normally. In cognitive-behavioral therapy or short-term psychotherapy, patients can learn to change symptom-provoking beliefs, like thinking that their colon will always be abnormal or that a given circumstance will provoke symptoms.

In a British study of 204 patients in which more than two-thirds of them were initially helped by hypnotherapy, 81 percent of those maintained the improvement up to five years after the treatment. Learning to practice stress-reduction and relaxation techniques can be as helpful as learning which foods to avoid.

New York Times, Sep 2nd 2008

Five years after treatment and a big study with 81 percent helped.

and

There are three primary features of FGIDs - motility, sensation, and brain-gut dysfunction:

Motility is the muscular activity of the GI tract. Normal motility (e.g., peristalsis) is an orderly sequence of muscular contractions from the top to the bottom. In FGIDs, the motility is abnormal - there can be muscular spasms that can cause pain, and the contractions can be very rapid (fast motility is diarrhea) or very slow (slow motility is constipation).

Sensation is how the nerves of the GI tract respond to stimuli (for example, digesting a meal). In FGIDs, the nerves are sometimes so sensitive that even normal contractions can bring on pain or discomfort.

Brain-gut dysfunction relates to the disharmony in the way the brain and GI system communicate. With FGIDs, the regulatory conduit between the brain and gut function may be impaired and this can lead to increased pain and bowel difficulties which can be worsened by stress.

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/patient_care_fgid.htm

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

For Renee21 new
      #351547 - 11/03/09 11:36 AM
Gerikat

Hi Renee, well said and I TOTALLY agree with you. Many of us on the board now are reading a book by Dr. John Sarno, called, The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders".

You might want to check it out of your local library and read it. We intend to have a discussion once everyone has finished it.

The body IS designed to heal itself.

Re: For Renee21 new
      #351558 - 11/03/09 12:14 PM
renee21

Hi Gerikat, I've been told about John Sarno and I've read a bit about his books online. I'd love to actually read it all and participate in your discussion. Thanks for the push!

--------------------

Edited by renee21 (11/03/09 12:15 PM)

#351573 - 11/03/09 02:06 PM
shawneric

Its now known that about 30 percent or more of IBSers develop IBS after an enteric infection. (gut infection) this can be from a virus, bacteria, food poisoning ect..

The intial infection clears and goes away, but the colon still doesn't function right.

They have found structural abnormalities in these IBSers in cells lining their digestive system, specifically enterochromaffin cells and mast cells. They have found correlations to "classic IBSers" in regards to these cells. The enterochromaffin cells release serotonin, which the majority is created in the gut. This starts gut contractions. To much and you get d, to little and you get c, then alternators, so in that case its the regulation of the chemicals being released. Mast cells are involved in fighting infections, food allergies and stress, all can degrandualte the cells. They release histimine unto the smooth muscle of the colon and can contribute to pain. You might sometimes hear about MACROSCOPIC inflammation in IBS. They can only see this when they peel back the muscle of the wall and look with an electron microscope. Stress through stress hormones can activate inflammation or reactivate previous inflammation.

Serotonin is important because its the neurotransmitter that signals from the gut to the brain up nerve fibers, pain signals to the brain the digestive system is in distress.

They have also found impairments on how the brain is responding to pain and sending the signals back to the gut.

IBS is a real physical disorder and isn't really something telling us there is something wrong in our lives, but our lives, emotions and feelings as well as foods, the act of eating, the temperture of foods and life stressors both mental and physical, hot and cold, the weather for example effects our IBS.

Sadly,the body can't always heal itself. It can sometimes, but not always.

Because they don't know the exact cause of IBS, although there is excellent research on it and more all the time, it is super complex, so its about managing the symptoms and feeling better, till they find the cause/causes. You can also have domino effects, where one thing is messed up and that cascades to others not functioning right.

But its importnat its not "all in the head' or made up or something in our lives we do or don't do. Many things can trigger it, but there is a difference between triggers and causes.

--------------------

#351575 - 11/03/09 02:18 PM
Syl

Hi Renee

There is no question that we are what we think, feel, eat, believe and so on. Our being is much more than simply an expression of the sum of its physical parts.

However, it is important keep things in perspective. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves but only under certain conditions. There are a wide variety of ailments and diseases, diabetes, sickle cell anemia and AIDS to mention a few, the body cannot cure.

Science has moved along way from the simple 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s dualist notion of the mind-body to more holistic and integrated notions that our bodies and the world around us are complex dynamic systems. How we feel and act emerges from the complicated ways our minds, organs, cells and genes interact with each other and their surroundings.

Self-help/new-age thinkers make important contributions to our well being. Sarno, the author of the Divided Mind, was educated in the old school of mind-body thinking as reflected in his writings. Others like Deepak Chopra are educated in the new school of thought. Complex systems notions are deeply embedded in their writings.

Generally speaking the gut-brain dysfunction is one of the new holistic complex systems approach to thinking about functional bowel disorders like IBS although some people still refer to it as a mind-body connection. It uses a biopsychosocial approach to understanding these disorders which includes effects from everything ranging from our genes, organs, immune and hormonal systems to how we feel and think.

Tools for balancing the spirit, mind and soul are extremely valuable way for managing IBS. I believe they are unlikely to illuminate a cure or cause.

So much for the philosophical stuff The EFI diet with appropriate individual modifications is a great place to start managing IBS symptoms.

--------------------

For Renee21 new
      #351580 - 11/03/09 03:09 PM
Gerikat

I read Chopra too. The spirit does send us messages all the time, doesn't it? If we listen, we may find a way to aid our miraculous bodies in healing themselves. Even serious illnesses...it happens all the time.

Re: healing ourselves new
      #351590 - 11/04/09 05:52 AM
bamalakegirl30

The UNC chat last night was great. They said that they do not even use the word cure at present. So the short answer is there is no cure, treat the symptoms. So if you are using heal and cure then it's not there yet. ShawnEric can give you more about what was discussed with the UNC doctors. I only got there at the latter part.

--------------------

#351596 - 11/04/09 08:09 AM
frygurl

I was there last night - it was helpful. However, I don't believe that western medicine has all the answers in terms of cures and healing. But even they have acknowledged the powerful mindbody connection with IBS. That's why hypnosis is so effective at reducing symptoms. And also that cognitive behavior therapy is an effective treatment.

#351598 - 11/04/09 08:12 AM
Syl

Both cognitive therapy and hypnotherapy reduce stress and anxiety which is a great benefit to IBS management. You might the interview with Michael Mahoney of some interest.

--------------------

#351610 - 11/04/09 08:47 AM
Gerikat

Western medicine is not much good with chronic conditions. They are pretty much useless. They come in handy in acute situations, but that is about it.

#351619 - 11/04/09 10:23 AM
bamalakegirl30

I agree. I think its comprehensive....the approach to everything. Not one thing or the other. I was very interested in what they said about the hypnotherapy. Unfortunately the reference he gave me about how to find a person who deals with digestive issues was not very helpful. Only three people in Alabama do it and they are more than 2 hours away which would not work for me. I don't drive since the anxiety attacks except maybe 30 miles. If there was one in Birmingham I could get to that. How many of you have done the one on here from the store?

--------------------

Edited by bamalakegirl30 (11/04/09 10:24 AM)

#351620 - 11/04/09 10:32 AM
frygurl

I'm working on my second round with Michael Mahoney's self-hypnosis program. I haven't found as much success with it as I was hoping, but I now recognize that I am dealing with so much emotional stuff which I think is preventing me from fully engaging in the hypnosis program. I want to spend some time sorting out issues with my therapist then try again with the hypnosis. Some people do have to do it more than once to see results, but lots of people have found it truly helpful.

#351647 - 11/04/09 06:34 PM
shawneric

Frygurl,

" I don't believe that western medicine has all the answers in terms of cures and healing."

One thing is its moving to a more holitic approach and this is helping a lot. Also intergrative medicine is a good word. They haven't even ask all the questions yet to research, it is extremely complex issues and a lot to study, but they are making big progress in medicine in general and IBS. Some medical breathroughs lately have been mind boggling, in somethings they have accomplished. IBS and functional disorders needs more funding for research.

"Cure" is a word you can only use when you understand the exact problem and cause. With IBS is it multidimensional.

Healing is another issue all together, healing yourself physically and mentally, can incorporate a lot of issues.

The world health organization defintion of health.

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

--------------------

#351648 - 11/04/09 06:43 PM
shawneric

Syl, I was the first person to work with Michael, heance the tapes on Heathers forum and on the IBS self help group and others. He is awesome and has helped me more then anyone and really understand IBS for someone who doesn't actually have it. I have also done a lot of research with DR Palssons help at the UNC, where they do actual research on it and follow Dr Whorewell who was the one who started to use it first more then 20 years ago. I then went on to seriously research the matter. It helps with stress and anxiety, but those are side effects of doing it, it also helps in many other ways, although the exact methods it helps are still not totally understood, I feel its important for people to know, its not that it helps just stress and anxiety although that is very important as well.

One thing to know in this study

"In a British study of 204 patients in which more than two-thirds of them were initially helped by hypnotherapy, 81 percent of those maintained the improvement up to five years after the treatment. Learning to practice stress-reduction and relaxation techniques can be as helpful as learning which foods to avoid.

New York Times, Sep 2nd 2008

Up to five years after treantment. It has to be making more changes then stress and anxiety reductions. I know some of the reasons if anyone is interested.

--------------------

#351650 - 11/04/09 06:55 PM
shawneric

bamalakegirl30

read my post above.

Dr Palsson cannot ethically comment on Mike's tapes, although he is well aware of there successes here and on the IBS self help group. I have personally studied this in depth and Mike is an expert. Dr Palsson, has to stick to what has been physically researched. What he did say is it is important to have someone doing Gut directed or gut specific hypnotherapy which is what Mike's tapes do. Mike is an expert on it so you know. A Hypnotherpaist has certain benefits to seeing one in person, however the CD's also have benefits to doing them, cost, from home are a just a few.

Gut directed hypnotherapy uses specific standard scripts for everyone, although a therapist in person might tweek it some. Mike's approach is different and that is expalined on his sites and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have, but don't rule out trying Mike's tapes.

I also have more information on all this then probably anyone on the planet seriously. I didn't just study IBS and hypnotherapy, but hypnotherapy itself, hypnotherapy for medical conditions from some major experts.

One of them is

Dr. Spiegel is the Jack, Lulu & Sam Willson Professor in the Stanford University School of Medicine and associate chair of psychiatry and behavioral sciences. He also directs the Stanford Center on Stress and Health. Dr. Spiegel is renowned in the field of hypnosis and the use of hypnosis in clinical settings, and is the author of several books including "Trance and Treatment: Clinical Uses of Hypnosis." Dr. Spiegel is carrying out studies of the neurophysiological components of hypnosis by studying brain correlates of hypnotic perceptual alteration, using PET, fMRI and diffusion tensor imaging. His research program is designed to examine neurophysiological and peripheral mechanisms through which psychological and social support may influence physical health.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/bios/david-spiegel.aspx

http://www.everydayhealth.com/bios/david-spiegel.aspx

There are a ton of misconceptions on hypnotherapy and what it is and can be used for, but it has shown to be very effective for most people who try it with IBS.

--------------------

#351651 - 11/04/09 07:00 PM
shawneric

frygurl

If you have a lot of emotionally issues at the moment or are distracted when listening that can be an issue. If I can help in anyway let me know.

--------------------

#351656 - 11/04/09 07:39 PM
shawneric

FYI this is new and an example

"Miranda van Tilburg, PhD
Associate Professor of Medicine UNC Chapel Hill FGIMD
This study found that children with functional abdominal pain who used audio recordings of guided imagery at home in addition to standard medical treatment were almost three times as likely to improve their pain problem, compared to children who received standard treatment alone.

Monday, Oct. 12, 2009

CHAPEL HILL – Children with functional abdominal pain who used audio recordings of guided imagery at home in addition to standard medical treatment were almost three times as likely to improve their pain problem, compared to children who received standard treatment alone.

And those benefits were maintained six months after treatment ended, a new study by University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Duke University Medical Center researchers has found."

In the group that used guided imagery, the children reported that the CDs were easy and enjoyable to use. In that group, 73.3 percent reported that their abdominal pain was reduced by half or more by the end of the treatment course. Only 26.7 percent in the standard medical care only group achieved the same level of improvement. This increased to 58.3 percent when guided imagery treatment was offered later to the standard medical care only group. In both groups combined, these benefits persisted for six months in 62.5 percent of the children.

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/tilburg_in_the_news.htm

--------------------

#351658 - 11/04/09 09:45 PM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

I totally agree, Gerikat.

Shawneric new
      #351663 - 11/05/09 06:13 AM
Gerikat

Yes, I wish my parents could have found a doctor smart enough to have prescribed this when I was a child.

Re: Shawneric new
      #351678 - 11/05/09 10:37 AM
shawneric

Me two, but at that time they didn't know. IT has been a real struggle for me personally over the last ten years to promote HT as a treatment option for IBS. Many are like what is it? why would I do it for IBS or for a medical condition. Some think of stage hypnosis, which is totally inaccurate. Its also hard to research and even harder to get funding for it. Studies cost thousands to tens of thousands of dollars and its hard to do a double blind study with it. However its very safe and can be very effective for most people. I am not against medications, but if you can find something that can help without side effects that is a good thing. Also there are intergrative approaches, diet, meds, psychological treatments all combined.

You can't regrow and arm if you loss one, but you can regrow brain cells and regrow or change some nerve pathways for one.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 786 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13211

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review