Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Brain-Gut Dysfunction new
      #351575 - 11/03/09 02:18 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Hi Renee

There is no question that we are what we think, feel, eat, believe and so on. Our being is much more than simply an expression of the sum of its physical parts.

However, it is important keep things in perspective. Our bodies are designed to heal themselves but only under certain conditions. There are a wide variety of ailments and diseases, diabetes, sickle cell anemia and AIDS to mention a few, the body cannot cure.

Science has moved along way from the simple 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s dualist notion of the mind-body to more holistic and integrated notions that our bodies and the world around us are complex dynamic systems. How we feel and act emerges from the complicated ways our minds, organs, cells and genes interact with each other and their surroundings.

Self-help/new-age thinkers make important contributions to our well being. Sarno, the author of the Divided Mind, was educated in the old school of mind-body thinking as reflected in his writings. Others like Deepak Chopra are educated in the new school of thought. Complex systems notions are deeply embedded in their writings.

Generally speaking the gut-brain dysfunction is one of the new holistic complex systems approach to thinking about functional bowel disorders like IBS although some people still refer to it as a mind-body connection. It uses a biopsychosocial approach to understanding these disorders which includes effects from everything ranging from our genes, organs, immune and hormonal systems to how we feel and think.

Tools for balancing the spirit, mind and soul are extremely valuable way for managing IBS. I believe they are unlikely to illuminate a cure or cause.

So much for the philosophical stuff The EFI diet with appropriate individual modifications is a great place to start managing IBS symptoms.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

For Renee21 new
      #351580 - 11/03/09 03:09 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I read Chopra too. The spirit does send us messages all the time, doesn't it? If we listen, we may find a way to aid our miraculous bodies in healing themselves. Even serious illnesses...it happens all the time.

Re: healing ourselves new
      #351590 - 11/04/09 05:52 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

The UNC chat last night was great. They said that they do not even use the word cure at present. So the short answer is there is no cure, treat the symptoms. So if you are using heal and cure then it's not there yet. ShawnEric can give you more about what was discussed with the UNC doctors. I only got there at the latter part.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351596 - 11/04/09 08:09 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I was there last night - it was helpful. However, I don't believe that western medicine has all the answers in terms of cures and healing. But even they have acknowledged the powerful mindbody connection with IBS. That's why hypnosis is so effective at reducing symptoms. And also that cognitive behavior therapy is an effective treatment.

#351598 - 11/04/09 08:12 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Both cognitive therapy and hypnotherapy reduce stress and anxiety which is a great benefit to IBS management. You might the interview with Michael Mahoney of some interest.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351610 - 11/04/09 08:47 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Western medicine is not much good with chronic conditions. They are pretty much useless. They come in handy in acute situations, but that is about it.

#351619 - 11/04/09 10:23 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I agree. I think its comprehensive....the approach to everything. Not one thing or the other. I was very interested in what they said about the hypnotherapy. Unfortunately the reference he gave me about how to find a person who deals with digestive issues was not very helpful. Only three people in Alabama do it and they are more than 2 hours away which would not work for me. I don't drive since the anxiety attacks except maybe 30 miles. If there was one in Birmingham I could get to that. How many of you have done the one on here from the store?

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Edited by bamalakegirl30 (11/04/09 10:24 AM)

#351620 - 11/04/09 10:32 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I'm working on my second round with Michael Mahoney's self-hypnosis program. I haven't found as much success with it as I was hoping, but I now recognize that I am dealing with so much emotional stuff which I think is preventing me from fully engaging in the hypnosis program. I want to spend some time sorting out issues with my therapist then try again with the hypnosis. Some people do have to do it more than once to see results, but lots of people have found it truly helpful.

#351647 - 11/04/09 06:34 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Frygurl,

" I don't believe that western medicine has all the answers in terms of cures and healing."

One thing is its moving to a more holitic approach and this is helping a lot. Also intergrative medicine is a good word. They haven't even ask all the questions yet to research, it is extremely complex issues and a lot to study, but they are making big progress in medicine in general and IBS. Some medical breathroughs lately have been mind boggling, in somethings they have accomplished. IBS and functional disorders needs more funding for research.

"Cure" is a word you can only use when you understand the exact problem and cause. With IBS is it multidimensional.

Healing is another issue all together, healing yourself physically and mentally, can incorporate a lot of issues.

The world health organization defintion of health.

"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity."

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#351648 - 11/04/09 06:43 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Syl, I was the first person to work with Michael, heance the tapes on Heathers forum and on the IBS self help group and others. He is awesome and has helped me more then anyone and really understand IBS for someone who doesn't actually have it. I have also done a lot of research with DR Palssons help at the UNC, where they do actual research on it and follow Dr Whorewell who was the one who started to use it first more then 20 years ago. I then went on to seriously research the matter. It helps with stress and anxiety, but those are side effects of doing it, it also helps in many other ways, although the exact methods it helps are still not totally understood, I feel its important for people to know, its not that it helps just stress and anxiety although that is very important as well.

One thing to know in this study

"In a British study of 204 patients in which more than two-thirds of them were initially helped by hypnotherapy, 81 percent of those maintained the improvement up to five years after the treatment. Learning to practice stress-reduction and relaxation techniques can be as helpful as learning which foods to avoid.

New York Times, Sep 2nd 2008

Up to five years after treantment. It has to be making more changes then stress and anxiety reductions. I know some of the reasons if anyone is interested.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2577 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13428

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review