All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question for Syl and others who are stable
      #351320 - 10/28/09 09:49 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Syl, I know you keep a really strict diet to control your symptoms. Do you think your gut will ever heal, or do you think you will have to keep this diet the rest of your life? I wonder how realistic it is for me to expect to someday feel more normal.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Syl and others who are stable new
      #351322 - 10/29/09 05:44 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I keep very strict control over my diet. Unfortunately diet will never produce healing. It is only a way of managing IBS symptoms it is not a cure. I never expect to feel normal again until medicine figures out what causes IBS and what cures it. I don't expect this to happen in my life time.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351332 - 10/29/09 08:47 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Well, I hope they're able to figure something out in my lifetime! It seems to me progress is being made. I haven't had this long (9 months) but from my reading the probiotic craze is only a couple of years old and that has helped a lot of people. The webpages about IBS all note a whole lot of things have been learned in the past 10 years or so. I intend to donate money to organizations and researchers looking for a cure. There are so many of us, if everyone chipped in $100, well, money talks, y'know?

#351345 - 10/29/09 09:55 AM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I have gone for a couple months at a time and been ok, but every time I try to incoporate something that goes off the plan, then I am back to square one. That is me now. I swear if I get this under control again I will be so strict on following the plan. The bad thing is when you are stable you start to feel close to normal again and so you think you can go back to whatever you used to do. The thing is, that normalcy is coming from following the diet. I think I'd rather feel like that and not have my bad food stuff.

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

#351346 - 10/29/09 10:09 AM
frygurl

Right now I am on a super restricted diet, but it's not a good long term way to live. I am worried that I will have to keep this diet to keep my symptoms under control. Right now I am working hard to improve my health and well being so I can enjoy my life. I feel like I am working towards something, ultimately healing my gut so I can function and eat more normally. I wonder if that's realistic. As you said, you feel well if you stick to a specific diet, as do many stable IBSers. But I keep thinking if I find the right treatments, I will heal. I want to heal.

Frygirl new
      #351348 - 10/29/09 11:49 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

May I suggest a book to you. Actually, I cannot take credit for it...PMartin, who is a poster on this board, brought it to my attention. It is called, "The Divided Mind: The Epidemic of Mindbody Disorders." It is by Dr. John Sarno.

I am only in the beginning of the book, but I find it fascinating and almost can't put it down. It can get rather technical, but if you stay with it, I think you will find it very informative.

It may give you hope that the body DOES have the ability to heal itself. Remember, attitude/emotions and your outlook on life, are the biggest part of the journey.

HTH

Re: Frygirl new
      #351349 - 10/29/09 12:06 PM
frygurl

Thanks Gerikat! I actually read about it the other day too, and I ordered it from Amazon. I can't wait to read it.

#351350 - 10/29/09 12:37 PM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

Thank you for mentioning the books. I picked both of these books up today at my local library....I can't wait to read them. Makes alot of sense to me and if it can help me anyway, I'm all for it

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351352 - 10/29/09 12:51 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Good for both of you Barbie and Frygirl. And thanks to PMartin for bringing it to our attention!

#351353 - 10/29/09 12:53 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Let's hope they find a cure soon. The probiotic research began in the late 1990s and it began to be taken seriously about five years ago.

Apparently in 2006 the NIH awarded awarded 53,285 grants totaling $21 billion dollars. Only 56 of these projects focused on IBS and they received about $19 million dollars which is peanuts for a syndrome that affects 10-15% of the population.

In the US the The International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders has been trying to get Congress to Support the Irritable Bowel Syndrome Research and Treatment Act. I don't know how much progress they have made. It might be worth while finding a way to support this movement.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13214

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review