All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
new to forum.. trying to figure out my digestive system after 23 years of symptoms
      #351197 - 10/26/09 10:17 AM
lillithdancing

Reged: 10/23/09

hello all
I have so much to write and ask, but I will just begin with brief synopsis of my ibs and some questions.
IBS started for me at age 21 (when I quit drinking alcohol -perhaps my stress reliever, lol) I have spent the better of 23 years trying to figure out what gives reliefe of IBS! I am currenly going thru the recommendations on this site about soluable, insoluable fiber and reactions of combining things. I believe I may be experiencing food allergies along with IBS making it more difficult to learn how to care for myself
for example, in all my many years of reading, fennel is highly recommended as a stomach reliever. Yet, when I use it in a tea or a soup, I blow up with horrible gas. I see that this site also offers fennel as a help. Can anyone tell me why I may be reacting to it or what else to try?
Thank you in advance. this forum has been recommended by a friend who thinks the world of it!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: new to forum.. trying to figure out my digestive system after 23 years of symptoms new
      #351215 - 10/26/09 11:13 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Hmm- I'm not sure what the deal is with fennel, but I don't drink the tea either since there are warnings on it about using it with the birth control pill. I like peppermint tea so you might want to try that. You may also find that the diet helps you so much you don't need it (wishful thinking maybe!).

Welcome to the board and good luck getting started. Feel free to ask more questions!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Re: new to forum.. trying to figure out my digestive system after 23 years of symptoms new
      #351221 - 10/27/09 07:44 AM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

What is the interaction between fennel and bc pills? I wasn't aware of that.

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

#351223 - 10/27/09 08:02 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I ordered the Fennel tea and it did not do a thing for my bloating. The only thing that helps the bloating/gas for me is movement.

warnings on using fennel with the birth control pill??! new
      #351229 - 10/27/09 08:37 AM

Unregistered

where did you hear that?! I drink a strong coffe pot full of fennel tea everyday and I take birth control! I don't know how I could chose one over the other! what are the warnings??

Re: warnings on using fennel with the birth control pill??! new
      #351233 - 10/27/09 10:07 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Maybe I am crazy but i thought it said on the tea box that it could lower the effectiveness of BC (which isn't really a safety concern, just use a back up I guess). I can't find a lot on it online so...now I'm second guessing myself.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Re: warnings on using fennel with the birth control pill??! new
      #351263 - 10/28/09 08:12 AM
BarbieNJ

Reged: 10/19/09
Loc: New Jersey

I googled it yesterday, and it just says that it can lower the effectiveness of birth control pills if you drink ALOT of it...allow you to get pregnant.....so buyer beware There were a few other warnings about it to, to do with health. Peppermint tea is absolutely safe and we can drink as much as we'd like I prefer the flavor of the peppermint better, but do have an occasional fennel when belly is gassy.

--------------------
IBS-C Sufferer since I was 18 and a FMS sufferer also!! Not feeling well enough to shop...Visit my online website!! www.youravon.com/bwethman

a strong coffee pot of fennel filled to the top? new
      #351265 - 10/28/09 08:24 AM

Unregistered

every day I drink that much,I order 3 bags of fennel about every 2 weeks..how is it bad for your health..and do u think I drink too much to do any damage?

Heather--is this true? new
      #351269 - 10/28/09 08:34 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

webmed says this:

"Some women use fennel for increasing the flow of breast milk, promoting menstruation, easing the birthing process, and increasing sex drive."

and this:

Birth control pills (Contraceptive drugs) interacts with FENNEL

Some birth control pills contain estrogen. Fennel might have some of the same effects as estrogen. But fennel isn't as strong as the estrogen in birth control pills. Taking fennel along with birth control pills might decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills. If you take birth control pills along with fennel, use an additional form of birth control such as a condom.
Some birth control pills include ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel (Triphasil), ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone (Ortho-Novum 1/35, Ortho-Novum 7/7/7), and others.

Aperson--I couldn't find info on exactly how much, but seeing as you are taking SO much fennel, I'd use backup for sure! Or, talk to your doc about a bc pill that wouldn't interfere..

This is crazy! I never realized this!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: Heather--is this true? perhaps change time of day I take my pill? new
      #351270 - 10/28/09 08:36 AM

Unregistered

my backup method is that he always pulls out..sorry if this is offensive to anyone,don't know how else to say it. I also don't have sex except one to 3 times a week,again sorry.

well sometimes I do start my period a week early,the pills before my green pills,green pills make me start..sometimes I spot a few days to a week before my period then my real period starts..I will be having my yearly woman exam nov. 12..I will ask about this..

I make my fennel as soon as I wake up in the morning,and thast when I take my pill and drink my tea!! perhaps I should change taking my pill at 11pm when I get off work,and go to bed by 11:30 or 12..I stop drinking fennel at by at least 4 everday..I work at 5pm..so I wonder how that will affect things..if it will be better for my ibs too or interupt my sleep or throw all my ibs off?

It would be great if some good studies were done on this like how much fennel is too much,or wat brands of bc pills it most likely effected and such.

Edited by aperson (10/28/09 08:56 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2580 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9867

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review