All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Zucchini and Mushrooms?
      #351006 - 10/21/09 09:05 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Hello all,

Last night I stir fried some zucchini and Maitake mushrooms and ate them over jasmine rice. All three ingredients, the mushrooms, the rice, and the zucchini (listed as "squash") are in the "safe" side of the cheat sheet. Obviously since it was a stir fry I also used a small portion of canola oil (about 1 tsp - 1 tbsp), but I didn't eat everything I cooked, just about 2/3 of it.

Anyway, about 15 min after I was done I had pain in my stomach, and now, a good 13 hours later, I'm at work and my stomach is making all manner of noise and I feel a little airy and bloated. I haven't had any other problems, but that may be due to the tricyclic I'm taking to slow down motility.

Any of the decorated veterans out there want to hazard a guess as to why supposedly safe foods are causing this? No fructose, wheat, other random things that sometimes irritate people.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zucchini and Mushrooms? new
      #351009 - 10/21/09 09:29 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

It is my experience that everyone responds to foods differently, no matter what the 'safe' foods are. Did you peel the zucchini? The peel has a lot of insoluble fiber that could bother you. Also, I have to cook my vegetables until they are soft and mushy to keep my gut quiet. You also have to really watch the amount of oil you use. There is a big difference in the amount of fat between 1 tsp and 1 tablespoon of oil. If you have a non stick skillet all you need is a spray of non-stick cooking spray instead of oil to create a stir fry.

I was frustrated when I first realized I was eating all safe foods and not really feeling better. I had to pay close attention to what I tolerated well and what I didn't. I'm still working that out, but I have a base diet that works okay for me.

#351010 - 10/21/09 09:44 AM
MikeCA1870

It could be the oil I suppose. I have a non stick electric wok but was under the impression you needed the oil to make it "work".

I eat zucchini all the time with no problems, usually steamed, so I don't think it's the IF in the peel.

Must be the oil then, or somehow that stir frying chemically alters the food in a way that steaming doesn't which my body doesn't like.

#351012 - 10/21/09 09:57 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I have troubles with mushrooms - contrary to popular belief they are 60-70% insoluble fiber of the total dietary fiber they contain. They do contain a small amount (milligrams) of beta glucan which acts like a soluble fiber but they contains grams of insoluble and soluble fiber per 100 gram weight. I cannot eat them at all.

I can handle small amounts (< 1/4 cup) of peeled cooked zucchini and some other squashes. However, I have to be careful because squash has some excess fructose - about 1 gram/100 gram and about 2.5 grams/100 grams of fructans. Zuccchini is listed in Table 6 (fructan content) in Clinical Ramifications of Malabsorption of Fructose and Other Short-chain Carbohydrates. There is a table you might find interesting in the Principles of Diet in Fructose Malabsorption. It lists zucchini and mushrooms as foods to try in moderation.

Which tricyclic are you taking? Was it given to you by a GI doc for SIBO?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351015 - 10/21/09 10:10 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

What you ate sounds perfectly okay to me, however we all know the answers are very different for many of us, depending on a multitude of things that have to be 'fine tuned' to our own guts.

You might try drinking peppermint tea with such a meal, or a glass of rice or soy milk with some of Heather's tummy fiber with your evening meal so that you can expand your diet a little more.

Seemingly all of this is about personal intestinal balance and there are no hard rules to personal success. Trial and error isn't always fun, I know. I wish there were simple solutions to it all, yet there isn't because every 'body gut' is somewhat different.

Best of luck, and do keep trying to see what works for you and what does not.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#351023 - 10/21/09 01:18 PM
MikeCA1870

I eat zucchini by the barrelful, steamed with rice, with no problems. It was the addition of the mushrooms (many new healthy eating guides recommend them, one kind is actually supposed to be good for digestive problems!) and the oil that was different, as well as the cooking method. I don't think you can steam mushrooms, but I will try microwaving them next time and see if that helps.

Syl, I am on Desipramine. I moved up from 10mg to 20mg to 30mg now. It's done a wonder on the pain/discomfort aspect, and combined with occasional supplements of Immodium that I'm not even sure I needed I have been D free for months. I tried Nortryptyline a while back (25mg) but it gave me dizziness when I stood up from sitting/laying down, and problems with C. My GI doc perscribed the Desipramine for pain/D. He though maybe I had SIBO but I've been taking Align for months, did the oral antibiotics for two weeks, and had two breath tests that both came back inconclusive, but definitely not positive. I don't think my issue is bacterial.

Mushrooms - something else wrong? new
      #351026 - 10/21/09 02:35 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

Syl...I think you should get your own site...you are a fountain of (useful) information. I eat mushrooms almost everyday under the presumption that they are O.K. Needless to say I am still having issues and to hear you say that "contrary to popular belief they are 60-70% insoluble fiber" makes me wonder about yet another food.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Re: Mushrooms - something else wrong? new
      #351031 - 10/21/09 04:28 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Let me clarify a bit. Mushrooms contain about 1.5 grams of dietary fiber per 100 grams. Of the 1.5 grams 60-70% is insoluble fiber and the remainder is soluble. Needless to say like most foods mushrooms contain mostly water

The EFI diet is pretty well rounded. It has an excellent nutritional balance. You just need to tweak it to handle your unique situation.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

not the oil new
      #351034 - 10/21/09 06:34 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Unless you ate the teeniest amount of rice, zuc and mushrooms you couldn't have had enough fat percentage with that amount of oil to cause a problem. Rice is high in calories (the veg have very little) and should absorb the fat cals.
Maitake mushrooms eh? that is pretty cool. I dabble in mycology and what people need to remember is that any wild mushroom can cause allergies in people (especially when eaten raw!) even if they are not poisonous. I am just mentioning it and not claiming that was the problem.
My other guess is how certain foods will hit the gut. When I eat a lot of rice with only veggies like cooked carrots and eat it quickly, I can get really sick and painful. It isn't the rice or the veggies but the way it was eaten or the mood the gut was in when you ate. Keep that in mind and try zuc, mushrooms and rice again. Add some tofu this time! when extra firm tofu is pressed all day in paper towels and then fried at high heat in the stirfry oil you used and then splashed with soy sauce and some ginger shreds- yum! The key to tofu is cooking the heck out of it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: not the oil new
      #351062 - 10/22/09 09:41 AM
MikeCA1870

Perhaps the problem is I ate them together rather than rice first, wait a bit, then the rest. I had a tablespoon of acacia about three hours earlier. I have all but eliminated fat from my diet, so maybe my body was just not used to it.

Minnie, there is a farmers' market nearby that has like 15 different kinds of mushroom. I tried the Maitake because some of the health stuff I have been reading say they are the most "healthful" (nutrient packed, etc.) and I was thrilled to see mushrooms on the "safe" side of the cheat sheet.

Re: not the oil new
      #351091 - 10/22/09 06:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is very cool.
I wish I had time to find mushrooms to sell at market. When I was a meter reader I picked mushrooms alot.

If you have been pretty fat free a little oil can bother. You really shouldn't be FF. A little fat is good for you and helps with C. Keep it to 1/4 of cals.
Some people may be touchy enough with IF to actually have to eat all their rice before their veggies. I don't think it is common though- that is pretty touchy- for cooked veggies that is.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7383

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review