All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Why do you think you have IBS?
      #350760 - 10/12/09 07:14 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I know that no one really knows what causes IBS and Im sure there are many many causes depending on the person. But I was wondering what you all thought may be the cause for you. Like did it start after a certain emotional event or car accident or something or from an eating disorder? I think alot of us probably deep down have our own theory as to why we each have IBS. I always tell everyone it just happened out of the blue but I really think it was because of emotional issues when I was a teenager and disordered eating that caused it.
Anyone else want to share?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Why do you think you have IBS? new
      #350761 - 10/12/09 07:42 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've had constipation issues since I was a baby, according to my mom. As a child, I remember having a lot of tummy aches when my parents would fight (they had some serious marital problems when I was young). Any time I experienced stress as I grew up it went straight to my gut - and I am also a natural worrier. I believe the my IBS symptoms have gotten worse and worse as the stress in my life has increased, and now my symptoms are the worse they've ever been, even though I have finally began to manage my stress effectively. I attribute that to my body's now automated response to any tiny perceived stressor as a major catastrophe, and other physical and mental things set in motion that I can't seem to stop. My personal belief is that I was born with a somewhat touchy digestive system and a penchant for worrying, combine that with difficult childhood and it spells IBS. But I am determined to do everything I can to heal my body to the best it can be and find my way into a somewhat normal life again.

ditto new
      #350763 - 10/12/09 08:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Had a predisposition from a child and IBS on both sides- especially my mom's. I don't think of myself as a worrier though but we all probably do it in different ways.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: ditto new
      #350790 - 10/14/09 10:17 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

I am one of those who can't point to any stressful event as a trigger. My work is stressful sometime, but I'm incredibly good at unwinding after work and I definitely don't consider it stressful enough to cause medical problems. My childhood was happy and uneventful, and I've never been abused in any form, mental or physical.

Like an above poster, I've always have a touchy digestive system, which would act up from once a month to once every 2 years, around that range.

If I were to correlate anything to when it all began, I had what I thought was a stomach bug. However, it could have been the beginning of IBS, since I can't tell the difference these days.

I've also noticed my symptoms fluctuate but they aren't connected to daily stress. I could have a great day and not feel well the next one, or I can have a relatively stressful day and not feel bad the next one.

So I think, though I'm not sure (can we ever be?) that I'm one of the post infectuous type. I think I was naturally predisposed, and something just flipped a switch. I'm hoping one day that my body flips back. That;s pretty much the only hope I have left, as I've tried everything else.

#350823 - 10/15/09 05:25 PM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Ive had panic disorder for 20 years but IBS seems to have appeared suddenly 2 years ago today....HAD Explosive D and fainted(I usually faint from major panic as well).....since that day my IBS goes up and down.....INterestingly enough....i was pretty happy the day i had that Explosive D.......i think its a combo of food allergies, stress and god knows what else.....The last few weeks ive been SO SYMPTOMATIC......Nausea, Pain, Gas.......cant figure it out...perhaps its the season...i hate cold weather.....

#350827 - 10/15/09 06:22 PM
askmom

Reged: 09/28/09

The first time I remember having any symptoms was when I was pregnant with our second child. All I wanted the entire pregnancy was milk and fruit. I was drinking 1/2 gallon to a whole gallon of milk EVERY day. I would get sick and just figured it was my hormones due to the pregnancy. As we all know by now hormones affect your bowels.

After I had my son I could no long tolerate milk but other than that I would only have symptoms every once in a while. It progressively got worse until I finally broke down and went to the doctor. It probably took a good 6-7 years before I went to the doctor.

Before the pregnancy I don't remember ever having any problems with my digestive system at all. I loved steaks and any type of red meat and would eat cheese like it was going out of style.

I've always been a VERY stressful person. I worry about everything. My husband tells me to stop worrying all the time, but that honestly just makes it worse. I do have to say the older I get the less I stress about things. Most of my stress is about my kids. I worry that I am making the right decisions...probably just like any other parent...but it affects me differently because of the ibs.

Having said that, my mom tells me that I had a stomach ulcer when I was 3. REALLY? Who gets ulcers at the age of 3? I can't remember it. But that was when my parents divorced and my mom was talking to someone about being short on money all the time. My baby brother was putting pennies down the radiator-ok I'm old, but I'm not THAT old-and I freaked out. I was diagnosed with the ulcer then. I was given medicine and it healed. I've never had even the slightest problem with it, that's what is weird.

Anyway, I think for me it's because of the stress and pregnancies and a genetic disposition to ibs.

#350880 - 10/17/09 01:05 PM
crystalrumi

Reged: 10/15/09
Loc: Central California

That is a great question and I wish I and we all knew the answer. I remember since I was a kid always having what they call a nervous stomach! I've had ibs now for about 20 years at least and just started the soluble diet for a week now and it definitely seems to be working! Good luck!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3011 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2895

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review