All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I failed miserably to take care of myself & make changes.
      #350650 - 10/07/09 12:05 PM
DivineDivaD

Reged: 10/30/06
Loc: New Hampshire

I decided that it was all mind over matter and that if I decided to ignore it... it would go away... So now I am sitting here with a chronic anal fissure that has been aggravated by going back and forth between constipation and diahrea. I tried to convert to an IBS safe diet years ago, but as a stubborn totally Italian girl ... there was NO WAY in hell I was giving up my long time delicious tried and true family recipes... so I just kept on cooking and eating the way everyone else in my family and life does... and to be honest I dont want to give that up. I've tried a few IBS safe products and I did NOT like the taste. I just wanted to try to be normal. I figured if I put it out to the universe... I would get it. I don't want to do this... but now I feel like I have no choice. I am already feeling deprived... I want my morning Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla latte with skim milk. I want to have a drink with friends on weekends. I want to eat homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs and pork. I want to eat red meat. I want to eat ice cream. I want to eat cheese... I cant even imagine a life without cheese... Land O Lakes American cheese sliced thin. Im absolutely disgusted with myself and with IBS and with NOT being a normal human being. And heres the rub... I have been eating bland for the last 4-5 days.. and my heartburn is acting up!!! I dont know what gives on that... but it was fine while I was eating like a regular person. I am taking Nexium and I am still suffering. Im just venting... but feel free to chime in to either chastise, console, sympathise or harrass me.

--------------------
IBS-C with chronic heartburn

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I failed miserably to take care of myself & make changes. new
      #350652 - 10/07/09 01:42 PM
Candy2

Reged: 04/09/08

I know exactly how you feel!! I also strongly resented having to give up all my favorite foods when I was diagnosed with IBS in the winter/spring of 2008. But thanks to a great acupuncturist and God, I can again have my favorite foods again!!

What treatments have you tried? Have you had all the tests to be properly diagnosed with IBS?

Perhaps it would help to just have your favorite foods in small amounts on different days. I now take a good probiotic and this has helped me immensely.

You are in my thoughts and prayers!

#350653 - 10/07/09 01:46 PM
DivineDivaD

Thank you so much for those words of encouragement. I believe I have been properly diagnosed. They've done many tests and concluded that because there is nothing seriously wrong... it is IBS.

I might have to try an acupuncturist. I didnt know that was a treatment. Of course learning how to handle my stress and become more active couldnt hurt either.

Again I thank you. I needed to hear what you said.

--------------------

#350654 - 10/07/09 02:54 PM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Wow, I'm happy acupuncture worked for you. I did about 10 sessions, spent close to $1000, and it didn't do anything for me.

Just strengthens my conviction that there is no such thing as IBS, just a ton of similar but different conditions that all have different causes, treatments, and solutions.

#350663 - 10/08/09 06:39 AM
DivineDivaD

WOW...I really would love to get into a chat with you about this... I've been thinking its not IBS at all for me either... because... my symptoms are random... sometimes I can eat whatever I want... sometimes I cant. Its infuriating... I give up things I love only to suffer more... there is no rhyme or reason. I would love to hear your thoughts.

--------------------

#350668 - 10/08/09 08:18 AM
MikeCA1870

Reged: 03/30/09

Well, I'm no scientist so pretty much the extent of my knowledge on the subject is the opinion I stated in the previous post.

However, whatever we all have, the members of this community I find to be the most knowledgeable and up on the latest research, so I think if a solution is to be found, it will be noted here first. I also believe the diatary guidelines of Heather's are smart and beneficial for a lot of reasons and think they would help anyone, textbook IBS or no. If I were "normal" I would basically adopt the IBS diet anyway, except for adding more insoluable fiber like whole grains and veggies.

But for example I have read that some people's problems go completely away with using a probiotic. It seems pretty clear to me that whatever they are suffering from, even if the symptoms are pretty similar, is not the same as I am, since probiotics have a negligable effect on me. Same with Candy's acupuncture results.

Edited by MikeCA1870 (10/08/09 01:33 PM)

#350669 - 10/08/09 08:47 AM
DivineDivaD

I hear what you are saying... Im just a big brat and DON'T want to give up the Italian heritage and all the great insanely delicious foods and desserts that go with it. I almost would rather suffer some days than give it up... Isnt that completely crazy. I havent tried acupunture yet... and I'm not sure I want to chance the expense unless my insurance will pick up some of it... but a probiotic might be a more convenient solution to try and see how that goes. I have tried some of the foods on the IBS diet and I just dont like the brands and the taste... possibly because Im just a spoiled brat. LOL. However I am willing to peruse this website for recipes and suggestions and see where it takes me... and I appreciate your input very much.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 436 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2433

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review