All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
5-htp - best for what IBS symptoms? new
      #354223 - 01/07/10 10:11 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I didn't come on the forum tonight with 5-htp in mind, but like Vettech, I'm going to take advantage of the "bump" as I'm still on the fence about trying it. My first concern when I hear of something for the first time is to decipher what IBS symptoms it's best for. C to D are worlds apart but so many times a simple and all to ambiguous classification of IBS is used. So with this thread I looked at who felt it helped, who felt it didn't and who was undecided and what each of their symptoms were (if they indicated) and if you do the same, you will notice very mixed results not really giving me any clear indication. And I think it is Borelli who states that "if you have D and your body is supposedly producing too much seratonin then adding more is not a good thing." Do you have a source for this information?

With that said, I checked the protein that I take and see that it has Tryptophan in it - 459 mg per serving. I take this protein 3-4 times a week (not for IBS but part of an exercise program) and wonder how that fits in?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 5-HTP My miracle cure! new
      #354646 - 01/17/10 12:48 PM
Angel in Pain

Reged: 03/25/07

Bubbles, this is nice to here and maybe try. I don't reply much on y'all information, but I do try to read what's going. It hard for me because it my daughter that has what ever which we have been trying to find out for 5 years. She has down syndrome and it hard to really tell how the pain is effecting her. I know that the has been in pain for 5 year and everyday at that, it in the lower part of her stomach. I tried the IBS diet for a little over 2 year and it help some but she was still having the pain but not as bad. Than after a few more year they found out that she has Gluten intolerance, which we have been on the gluten free diet for 2-3 months and it also seem to help some, but she still having stomach pain and still how as bad, but it still there. And also I still have a lot to learn about gluten free items. I have been thing that maybe she might be both IBS and GF but haven't tried both diet together yet. When I read your input on the 5-HTP and the fact that you are or were gluten/wheat free it was very interesting to me and I want to find out more about 5-HTP before I give it to her since I don't like to give her anything before I check into it since it's her stomach and not mine and I'm not sure how she'll act to it. I'll usually pick a week or so we're we are both home so it any reactions accure. My question to you it were do you get your Natural supplement of 5-HTP. Also I might have her serotonin check also.
If you have anymore info for me please let me know. This sounds so good that when I and if I try it on her I hope it help with if anything the gloom and doom and the pain in her stomach so she can be happy again like she was 5 years or more ago. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOU INPUT
mother, eva of
Angel in pain

Melatonin new
      #354656 - 01/18/10 05:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is something you may wish to consider. There is no evidence in the IBS research that shows that a 5-HTP supplement can be benefit IBSers. There is some evidence that it may be helpful for fibromyalgia. However, there is a fair amount of evidence that shows melatonin produced in the gut from 5-HTP can help with pain and other IBS symptoms. Melatonin in the gut, unlikely melatonin in the brain which promotes sleep, is known to modulate gut motility and viseral sensation.

I have been taking 3 mg melatonin at bedtime for about 2 months with good results. For a few of decades I have not been able to find anything to manage my IBS pain. About 2 weeks after taking melatonin the pain has almost disappeared. After three weeks I quite taking melatonin expect now I only take melatonin for 2-3 days if I feel pain beginning to start. It seems to abort the pain nicely for me.

Here is a list of research abstracts in the NIH PubMed database on the use of melatonin and IBS that you may find some interesting.

Something I should mention is that I found many melatonin supplements contained non-medicinal ingredients that were not IBS friendly such as lactose monohydrate. I finally found a pure synthetic melatonin with no additives at a local health food store. Also, the standard dose of 3 mg at bedtime may be to large for a child. If you decide to give some to your daughter you may want to start with a lower dose - say 1 mg. Also, some manufacturers sell melatonin in a sublingual form - that is it dissolves under the tongue. You want the melatonin to get to the stomach where it can begin to act so make sure it is swallowed and not dissolved under the tongue.

If you do decide to give it a try please tell us how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Melatonin new
      #354664 - 01/18/10 12:03 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I have been taking melatonin for a little over 3 years now. I started taking it as part of a course of treatment for bladder cancer (i have not had a recurrence). i have always taken a 5 mg tablet just before bed - first from puritan's pride and now trader joe's brand. i don't believe i have experienced the pain reduction which you describe. is there something i am missing? what brand do you use? should i cut back to 3 mg tablets?

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Re: Melatonin new
      #354665 - 01/18/10 12:16 PM
Syl

The brand I use is called NOW. I am not sure it is available in the US. No don't cut back to 3 mg per day if 5 mg was fine for you.

As with all things IBS the melatonin might not work for your pain. It works great for mine.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

And ... new
      #354666 - 01/18/10 12:33 PM
Syl

I tried melatonin about a year ago with no success. I used the sublingual version. It worked for a few days and then the improvement went away. Eventually, I figured out some of the additives were giving me problems. It took a while but later I found a product that contained pure synthetic melatonin in rice flour packaged in a gelatin capsule. I have been using it as I described in previous postings with reasonable success. Of course it will take more time to see if the effect are long lasting for me

--------------------

A source for melatonin options new
      #354965 - 01/28/10 10:13 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I live in the US, though do think that Puritan's Pride ships worldwide, with perhaps a few exceptions. They offer many options for melantonin. I take the 3mg capsule about 30 minutes before bedtime and sleep well. I have found all of their products to be of high quality and with a long expiration date. No stale products here! Presently they are offering a two for one sale.

Here are the products that Puritan's Pride offers in the way of melatonin product options:

http://www.puritan.com/melatonin-542?left

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29579

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review