All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Syl... That's Interesting! new
      #353054 - 12/06/09 06:36 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

All of the 5-HTP products that I've looked at at our local pharmacy, Wal-Mart, and online supplement suppliers contain LARGE amounts of magnesium!

Hmmm... dunno what to say!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Borrelli new
      #353055 - 12/06/09 06:47 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Which is responsible for the sound sleep and daytime relaxation, the Tryptophan or the 5-HTP? In a way, that sounds positive to me.

Re: 5-HTP My miracle cure! new
      #353056 - 12/06/09 07:13 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I tried this also but for anxiety issues.My SIL uses it to manage her PMS and she swears by it but I never found it to work at all.deep breathing seemed to help me more.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Syl... That's Interesting! new
      #353057 - 12/06/09 07:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Magnesium free 5-HTP is available here. Perhaps one of these magnesium free 5-HTP supplements at a local health food store

Jarrow
Vitacost
Swanson
Supplement Spot
Doctor's Best

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

What is a SIL? new
      #353058 - 12/06/09 10:13 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I'm sorry, but I'm still getting used to many of the abbreviations used on this website. Please excuse my ignorance. What is a SIL?

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: What is a SIL? new
      #353059 - 12/06/09 11:23 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Sister-in-law. There is an area on here that explains abbreviations.

Re: Syl... That's Interesting! new
      #353060 - 12/06/09 03:52 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

I have IBS-D as well as FM.
Was told 5HTP may help with the FM sleep issues.
When I started to take it I thought it was adversely affecting the IBS But over time I think not. Perhaps just a bad spell for me? I tend to cycle a lot.
It has improved sleep overall....not to where I would like it or where I function at my best, but better than it was.

Just went and read my label and no magnesium.
It is NOW and is available in health food stores in Canada.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: 5-HTP My miracle cure!
      #353952 - 01/04/10 10:21 PM
askmom

Reged: 09/28/09

It's been a few months since I've been on this website and I have Heather and bubbles to thank for that! I haven't needed to visit because I've been feeling SO much better.

I started on Heather's diet about 6-8 months ago and immediately felt so much better. After taking my first dose of sf I felt like I had been given a new life. After following the diet for about a week I just kept feeling better every day. But I was still having constant pain in my lower abdomen. The doctor had checked this out and I underwent many tests only to find out it is from the ibs. While from what I gather here and what my gastro doc says this isn't normal, it also isn't abnormal.

After reading bubbles post I decided to try 5 HTP. I did days and days of research before I went to buy the supplement. I thought, what could it hurt if it doesn't work? And who doesn't need a mood enhancer? LOL

The positive effect it had on my ibs-d was obvious in less than 24 hours. From what I had read it would take much longer, up to 4 weeks, before I could tell a difference. I was so surprised to get the immediate relief I cried from happiness.

Now about 6 weeks later the constant pain in my belly is gone and I am much happier! The side effect of a feeling of well being is a BIG plus! I will never be a happy giggly person, that's not my personality, but I don't have the feeling of gloom and doom all the time now.

Thanks Heather, for the fantastic books and website! I feel human again! Your EFI diet is the best thing that has ever come from the internet for me!

Thanks Bubbles for the info on 5 HTP! The difference in me is amazing! I just wish this worked for everyone!

Re: 5-HTP My miracle cure!
      #354035 - 01/05/10 04:10 PM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

This "bump" came at a fortuitous time. I had been thinking of trying 5-HTP for insomnia. I used to take tryptophan back in the 80's (before it was taken off the market) and it was a like a miracle for me. It allieved my anxiety and insomnia, which in turn was beneficial for my IBS.

So, I may take the plunge and give it a shot.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Re: Borrelli
      #354146 - 01/06/10 08:53 PM
Borrelli

Reged: 03/22/09

Quote:

Which is responsible for the sound sleep and daytime relaxation, the Tryptophan or the 5-HTP? In a way, that sounds positive to me.

Both, since tryptophan is a precursor to 5-htp.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 485 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29576

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review