All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating this way leaves me STARVING!
      #350431 - 09/29/09 02:24 PM
HeatherGoldie

Reged: 09/29/09
Loc: new york, ny

I was diagnosed with IBS in June. Symptoms started in January after a stressful time in my life. I am on a low dose of zoloft and starting exercising more and was in therapy. I was feeling a lot better until about 2 weeks ago. Round the clock cramps. I don't get diarrhea, and i wouldn't say I am constipated either. It's just pain that goes into my back and lots of gas.

So I started Heather's IBS diet a few days ago. It really doesn't agree with me. I am having fewer cramps, but I am STARVING. I am a vegetarian and have been one since birth. That's right, I have never tasted meat. Despite the IBS, I am very healthy otherwise, but my metabolism is lightning fast. If I don't eat a lot of oils (I like to drizzle olive oil on things, and am not afraid of butter--I have low cholesterol), nuts, yogurt, and eggs a few times a week I feel terrible. Already from just two days without these foods I feel weak and run-down. I am notoriously hungry all the time as it is--I have actually lost friends over this, believe it or not--and I think I'd rather have pain than be hungry. I just can't function like this.

Any advise? I am sitting here starving. it's 5:20 and here's what I ate today:

breakfast: roll, soy yogurt, citrucel, probiotic drink (dairy free) bananna

lunch: potatoes, pasta, rice with a little veggies and tofu (too much carbs! ugh! makes me dizzy and hungrier!)

afternoon snack: split pea soup

and now I am famished again.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating this way leaves me STARVING! new
      #350442 - 09/29/09 07:16 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

I have taught myself to eat a bananna or a slice of sourdough bread when my body tries to tell me that I am starving.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#350443 - 09/29/09 07:17 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I find snacking on a slice of sourdough takes away the hunger pangs when they come between meals. I also sometimes grab a slice of packaged soy cheese to fill the void. I keep a package of individually wrapped soy cheddar flavored cheese in the frig at all times now, as this is very convenient and it actually tastes good! The soy jalapeno pepper cheese is another good one that I personally like, and it is packaged the same way.

I would guess that once you adjust to how much you need of what and how often to snack, you won't feel the way you're feeling now. Do check out Heather's snack list and munch and nibble on those. While snacking may be contrary to weight-loss diets, I personally have found this a very necessary thing when one has IBS, and I haven't gained any weight from doing so. It's the 'junk food' snacks that put on the weight and also wreaks havoc with us IBS sufferers.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#350450 - 09/30/09 07:00 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

try making some of the breads and snack on those. Add more Souble veggies and fruit to your diet. Drink water lots of it. Try like having pancakes for breakfeast and stuff thats heavier to feel you up. hth
emmasmom
ibs-c gas

#350452 - 09/30/09 08:30 AM
HeatherGoldie

Reged: 09/29/09
Loc: new york, ny

No, this isn't gonna work for me. Eating bread as a snack only makes me hungrier and dizzy, too, and it makes my skin break out.

I'm back on yogurt. It makes me feel better, not worse. I think I will just add more soluble fiber but continue with fat and dairy, etc. I have a very different metabolism than most people, and I just feel terrible without these foods.

#350455 - 09/30/09 10:51 AM
Windchimes

I'm wondering if you think you feel better on dairy yogurt because this is giving you the natural probiotic contained within. Overall, in my experience, this hurts more in the long run. The best probiotics for IBS (again my experience) are those purchased from pharmacies and health food stores in capsule form and need refrigeration. The 'dry' caps are not as potent nor effective. We need 'live' good bacteria for our GI system, as diarrhea depletes us of this.

I would agree that some breads definitely make matters worse, yet in fact sour dough bread for me and others really helps a lot. You can make seasoned croutons out of this bread (absent any added fat) and nibble on these as well. Making a bruschetta on top of this bread toasted is very satisfying. Flavors and textures help satisfy the pallet and the hunger cravings.

I encourage you to keep exploring and experimenting with recipes that are IBS friendly and beneficial, and not give up. Some things can take awhile, yet really not that long given the long-term benefits received in return. So many of the adjustments need to be personally attuned as to what and how much so, and this can require some experimentation without deviating from the IBS recommendations offered at this site.

Best to you!

--------------------

#350457 - 09/30/09 11:42 AM
Windchimes

Hi again,

I too have a fast metabolism. My thyroid tests are okay (still within normal, though at the high end of norm).

Have you had a medical doctor order full tests for thyroid function? If not, I would suggest that you do. High metabolism can account for needing to eat more often than the average person, though do eat things that are healthy and yet do not aggravate IBS.

--------------------

For HeatherGoldie new
      #350462 - 09/30/09 01:07 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have the same situation. Too many "white carbs" do me in. I stick with lean protein, healthy fats, and veggies. Works wonders for me. I know you don't do the meat, but I am sure, since you have been a veggie since birth, you know about alternative sources. For me, protein seems to stablize the appetite and blood sugar. I also use butter sparingly.

If you don't feel good, then I would assume that is your body trying to tell you something. IBS is not a "one size fits all" situation. Listen to YOUR body.

Hope you find something that works for you.

#350464 - 09/30/09 02:12 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I am another one with a fast metabolism. My thyroid is on the high end of what my GP calls normal, however my naturopathic doctor says I am exhibiting a lot of hyperactive thyroid symptoms (constipation, always cold, low blood sugar issues, dry skin, etc) and my numbers are higher than she thinks is good. I also jumped a whole point in 18 months. She put me on an herbal supplement for called Thyroid Support. I've only been taking it for about 5 days, so not sure if I notice anything, but I expect it will take some time.

I don't have the hunger issue because a lot of the time my IBS makes me nauseous. I've gotten in the habit of eating even though I don't hungry, to keep my blood sugar under control. If I eat only carbs, I do feel weak and dizzy, as you describe. I need protein with every meal to keep me even. Maybe since you're a vegetarian that means more beans (use Beano) and nuts (watch the fat), and egg whites if you eat them. Egg whites work really well for me.

More slow burn soluble fibre new
      #350516 - 10/01/09 08:43 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

You could do with a lot more of slow burning soluble fiber. Like apples, bananas, squash, yam etc. The EFI diet is most definitely not all about white cabs. What you ate also didn't have much in the way of fats or protein. Both of these should b in your diet.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2463 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review