All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Crying and Mild Sadness as a Symptom
      #350374 - 09/28/09 11:14 AM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

In the course of my many years as a "digestive", I have been interested in what symptoms rear their head with IBS. One of the more surprising ones for me seems to be crying, which starts with the onset of an IBS attack and is relieved when the attack is over. The crying is not constant and comes and goes. It doesn't happen with every attack either.

My psychiatrist has ruled out clinical depression, and my body seems to display this symptom only in conjunction with my IBS cycles. Since IBS is a brain-gut disorder, and anxiety is closely correlated, could there be a physiological aspect to this crying, specifically in relation to neurotransmitters and the enteric nervous system?

Thought, questions or comments?

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Crying and Mild Sadness as a Symptom new
      #350379 - 09/28/09 01:21 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I have found I do the same thing. Anytime I have an attack I get extremely sad and cry then angry. I really didnt' know what was going on before I found out I had ibs-d. I finally figured it was just the frustration of not having control of my stomach issues and not knowing what was going on. I now take Librium for anxiety and obviously know how to deal with attacks better. They don't get to me as much now.

#350388 - 09/28/09 04:41 PM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Thank God I'm not the only one!

It's really weird and seems to really only happen when an IBS attack is coming, unless I know I have been through particularly bad or stressful.

It's a different sadness and crying than when I'm actually upset about something.

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#350397 - 09/28/09 08:34 PM
askmom

Reged: 09/28/09

YES!! Depression/crying/sadness is a common symptom of IBS. For me it comes and goes depending on how "sick" I've been. The more times I've had flare-ups close together the more severe it got for me.

Until I found this website last week I was really wondering how I was going to get up each day. I was REALLY going into a deep depression which was making things worse because of the stress.

I did quite a bit of research and found that it is because the majority of Seratonin is stored in your gut. I think it's something like 90%, but I'm not sure of that. Seratonin is what makes us "feel good". So if you have diarrhea it is removing the Seratonin from your body. So the more control you have over your IBS the less you'll feel the depression symptoms.

Luckily after finding this website last week and adding soluble fiber to my diet I feel 300% better. I've still got a lot to learn but the difference this small change has made in my life is undeniable.

Hope this helps some!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1199

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review