All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
CHEESE?
      #350303 - 09/25/09 04:04 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Is cheese a trigger for people here that are ibs-d? My doctor wants me to go without eating any cheese for the next two weeks along with any other dairy which I don't do milk, ice-cream or anything like that anyways but he wants me to leave out cheese also. Sometimes I can eat it but we are thinking it might be a trigger for me at times. So we will see.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CHEESE? new
      #350305 - 09/25/09 04:12 PM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Heck yeah cheese is a trigger! I would think it would be a trigger for any kind of IBS. Cheese is high in fat and proteins that are GI irritants, I believe.

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

#350315 - 09/25/09 06:50 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Somedays I do ok with it but it very well maybe why I still have some issues even when I take my medicine. Should of see that coming

#350319 - 09/26/09 01:46 AM
jjuk

Reged: 06/21/09
Loc: warwickshire , uk

Cheese and any other dairy come to think of it is one of my worst triggers - im contemplating getting tests for lactose intolerance at the moment but yes i have given up on cheese. If i do have a TINY bit i got with something a bit lower in fat like mozzzerlla or a small amount of shaved parmasan. but to be honest those time are few and far between these days

--------------------
ibs for 8 years x

thank you Kenny new
      #350332 - 09/26/09 07:01 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You are correct. Cheese is known to be constipating to people in general, but for those with IBS it can cause D or C. I had to go without a meal today at a restaurant that had nothing safe to eat. Everything had cheese, was high in fat and/or had red meat. I pointed out there wasn't anything on their menu without cheese.
When stable, I think the safest way to cheat with cheese is a teeny bit of parmesan (hard and low fat) in a low fat meal, once in a while, when feeling fine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#350341 - 09/27/09 05:57 AM
DL

Reged: 02/02/09
Loc: Virginia, USA

Of all the things I have given up, I miss cheese the very most. I have also wondered if there is any safe cheese. I also wondered if when it's cooked(melted) of any of the trigger aspects lessen or go away completely?

#350356 - 09/27/09 05:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There is no safe way to eat cheese. There are some decent alternatives but yes, many miss cheese. Lisanti brand is my favorite fake cheese. Once in a while I have a teeny bit of high quality cheese on something- parmesan or blue. I have not found goat cheese to be easier to digest. The softer the cheese, the worse for me.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#350416 - 09/29/09 08:57 AM
linisue54

Reged: 08/30/08

Hi, where do you buy Lisanti cheese? I havent been able to find any cheese I like.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 203 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2453

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review