All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How many doctors?
      #350199 - 09/22/09 02:36 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

How many doctors has everyone seen before you actually found one that listens to you and is actually helping you with your ibs?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many doctors? new
      #350200 - 09/22/09 02:44 PM

Unregistered

none..well one was a little helpful she told me to avoid dairy.

#350203 - 09/22/09 03:34 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Oh My Gosh! So Many! Honestly, In the past 10 years, I've had about 7 GI docs. I have a new one that is FANTASTIC! I actually saw her this morning and she spent 40 min in with me discussing everything. The first appt I had with her I could tell she was wondering why I've been to so many. But, I'm only 26, so most docs just say I'm fine and blow me off. I almost gave up after every bad doctor, but she finally came along and I'm SO glad I kept looking!

--------------------
IBS-A

#350207 - 09/22/09 08:36 PM
mrae

Aly, What did she do for you that was different then the other doctors? The one I have right now is my second one and he seems ok but hes like if the meds are working then we don't need to go any further when I think we should get to the bottom of the issue. Maybe its just me wanting it to be something other than ibs.

#350208 - 09/22/09 09:06 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Your doctor's attitude is the same as pretty much all doctors. They always treat each symptom as if they are isolated incidents, rather than the underlying cause. This means you will always be on medication just to treat the symptoms. Naturopathic doctors look at your health holistically, and work at helping your body heal itself, naturally. My guess is that not all naturopathic doctors are the same, just like any doctor, so you should keep looking until you find the right one. Preferably, a naturopathic doctor that specializes in IBS. I am optimistic about my new naturopathic doctor - we had great chemistry. I am still waiting for her treatment plan, but I get the sense that she is looking for the interconnectedness of my symptoms, which is a totally different approach than I have ever experienced with a doctor before.

#350210 - 09/23/09 06:18 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You are right...most docs treat you as parts instead of an interconnected whole. Hence, we have specialties and sub-specialties.

Search until you find the right doc for you, whether that be a naturopathic or Western MD. You have to click with that doc for it to work and the most important thing is they have to LISTEN to you, and give you more than 7 minutes of their time.

#350211 - 09/23/09 06:26 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Well, I'm in a little bit of a different boat b/c I was recently diagnosed with gastroparesis (I had a gastric emptying scan). I've had a lot of complications/side effects of meds/etc and that was the main reason I saw my doc yesterday. We don't know if I still have IBS, but it's possible.
She certainly couldn't 'cure' me yesterday or offer a magic solution. It was the attitude that I was so pleased with. She spent her time, asked me what I was thinking numerous times. She really sympathized and promised that we will try different things until I am better of the symptoms. I guess knowing she's never going to say 'this is as good as you'll get...sorry' and brush me off is very comforting.
She even scheduled a colonoscopy for the end of Dec just to have it on the schedule if I am still feeling sick by then.
I've had HORRIBLE experiences with doctors. When I was in college, I got very ill and My Mom would have to call and talk to the nurse for me b/c they thought "I was just a crier"... so it's been a long road to someone who gets how this affects my life.
Honestly, I do wonder if I'm getting more attention with a diagnosis OTHER than IBS... I don't know, but it's a possibility.
Hope that explains things a bit!

--------------------
IBS-A

#350214 - 09/23/09 07:53 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I was fortunate and went to a gastro guy who totally got what I was saying...had me have a colonscopy right away to rule out other things and then prescribed lomotil and advised me to up my fiber. I have learned a lot on this web site though that I don't think I would have gotten from him.

Sandy

Re: How many doctors? Sandyg and Frygrl new
      #350224 - 09/23/09 01:01 PM
mrae

Thats what I am doing now, had a colonoscopy to rule out anything to serious. I am upping my fiber and taking lomotil. I am actually the one that called my doctor and asked for lomotil and it works great.I also take Librium for anxiety. I just started working with a naturopathic doctor who will be in touch with my other doctor so we will see what happens from here. Kinda nervouse about starting all the stuff she gave me because she said I could get worse before getting better and right now my family is living with my sisters family and I can't really afford to get worse right now. So I might wait and start all of this when we move which should be here soon. She gave me fish oil, powdered probiotic, meal replacement for the divirticulosis. But I am hoping once I start this it will start healing my gut.

#350312 - 09/25/09 06:00 PM
Catgirl

Reged: 01/10/09
Loc: Canada

I'm still trying to find one. Everyone I go to say there's nothing they can do! I lost my job due to my severe IBS C and I'm only 26. I'm also homebound and had to move back in with my parents. I tried getting social assistance but I keep getting denied. Apparently the city where I live thinks IBS is a big joke.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9084 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3838

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review