All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Gerikat the persimons..? new
      #351008 - 10/21/09 09:27 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

No, not yet, but when I do I will let you know.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FODMAP - IBS Revolution/The book IBS Free at Last new
      #351016 - 10/21/09 10:23 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is a link to a fairly good description of the FODMAP diet. Here is an detailed article written by the Australian doctor who did the original research. It was written to inform GP and GI docs about the FODMAP diet so they could inform their patients. It is quite technical but you may find the check list in Table 1 and some of the other tables of interest.

Good luck

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Increasingly Frustrated!!! new
      #351021 - 10/21/09 01:01 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

I empathize with you and your diet as prior to becoming aware of FODMAP's, I was essentially following the IBS diet eating more or less everything you've mentioned. Unfortunately though if it turns out that if I have issues with fructose, I was eating some major culprits like wheat and honey. I did catch the part in the article you linked about the relationship between fructose and glucose so I'll also avoid fructose rich fruit like apples of which I was eating in sauce form and stick to bananas and oranges.
I'm a little confused still about when it comes to vegetables though. Should their fructose level and whether or not they are a soluble or insoluble fiber be cross referenced. For example, a baked potato which is deemed O.K by Eating for IBS has a fructose level around 700 http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-011011000000000000000-3.html?
Is that high...too high?
Also, unfortunately whether it's in the name of soluble or insoluble fiber as with the eating for IBS approach and galactons, most vegetables and legumes are out of the question. Like you, I go with rice and potatoes. When you say you eat pasta can I assume you mean rice pasta?

Anyway I could go on but it's just more of the same stuff and until I see a dietitian I won't really know anyway. Thanks for the links as they are an invaluable source of information.

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

#351024 - 10/21/09 01:49 PM
Syl

I eat small amounts of wheat pasta. I don't eat it often. While I am sensitive to small amounts of excess fructose I can tolerate some fructans. This is not unusual for people with fructose malabsorption. As I recall the general recommendation is to keep fructan intake to less than 0.5 grams/serving which is about the amount in a thin slice of bread or small serving of pasta.

Yep - beans are out of the question for me too -- with or without Beano .

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#351025 - 10/21/09 02:15 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

You were quick with that response, beating me to editing my last one and you even answered the question I was going to ask. I was going to add and ask what are acceptable or recommended levels of fructan intake?

On a complete side note, I can't figure out the stupid Graemlins. I was trying to put it in my text, not in the subject line. Where am I going wrong?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Re: Dragonfly new
      #351048 - 10/22/09 05:34 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar works too...its just harder to get down. ugh!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#351051 - 10/22/09 07:08 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

That sounds pretty yucky, so I will try the red delicious.

#351059 - 10/22/09 09:00 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

Agreed about the vinegar - that's why the lemon juice is a better choice.

About fresh lemon juice... Syl? new
      #353524 - 12/28/09 10:47 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Jennifer,

I am a bit confused about what you state here. While fresh lemon seems sour and acidic in the mouth, it actually turns the opposite when it hits the stomach acid from what I've always been told. Therefore, lemon juice should actually help neutralize excess stomach acid rather than increase it. Hmmmm...

Perhaps Syl can give us more info about this. How 'bout it Syl?

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: About fresh lemon juice... Syl? new
      #353526 - 12/28/09 11:21 AM
Syl

Lemon juice is acidic. It contains citric acid which a weak organic acid (pH = 2.3). When it hits the stomach which contains hydrochloric acid (pH ~ 1) it will have little effect on the acidity of the stomach unless the pH of the stomach acid is greater than 2.3 then it will decrease the stomach acid pH.

GERD stems from acid rising to the throat, unusually low stomach-acid levels (i.e too high a pH) may worsen the condition as the undigested food sits in the stomach. The citric acid in lemon juices seems to provide relief in such cases.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review