All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Increasingly Frustrated!!! new
      #350918 - 10/18/09 09:30 PM
PMartin

Reged: 08/05/08
Loc: Niagara Region

WOW - what an enlightening and thought provoking article. Thank-you for providing it and such a a detailed reply.

Quote:

Have you tried to figure out a base diet - that is a simple diet to which can fall back on when you get an IBS flare-up?

This is part of my frustration. I don't get flare-ups or have reactions to supposed triggers...just the same routine every morning of urgent, loose and multiple BM's. This is despite following the (Heather's) IBS diet. As there is still something I'm eating/drinking that is a trigger, I am working on a self imposed elimination diet focusing on wheat and I want to see if there's any difference by not having tea and avoiding soy (all foods that are supposed to be safe). Basically, I'm just trying to think of and detect if there's been something constant that I've eaten despite a wide variety in my diet over the years that could be the culprit. AND LOW AND BEHOLD you drop this little package of information. While I don't eat a lot of processed or packaged foods, I know fructose is in a lot of foods, probably more than I realize or have seen.

Looking at the FODMAP checklist from article you linked, I see a lot of the same foods we are told to avoid or limit as they are an insoluble fiber; anything to do with fruits, vegetables and legumes, dairy and alcohol BUT THEN THERE'S THAT TOUGH ONE - WHEAT, including bread and pasta which are deemed O.K. by Eating for IBS.

Something else in the article that got my attention was TABLE 4, Lactose Content of Common Dairy Products. It lists Acidophilus milk. I don't drink cow's milk (as recommended) but I do take Acidophilus supplements (as recommended) could this be counter productive? And then the non-medicinal ingredients include fructose molecules.

Anyway I'm going to be looking into this as soon as tomorrow. Who did you first approach? I'm fed up with my GP and noticed that the article mentions going to a dietitian. Also, can I ask what your diet consists of on any given day?

--------------------
IBS-D. Or so a doctor says.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#350972 - 10/20/09 09:16 AM
MominMaine

Reged: 02/20/07

Patsy Catsos, a dietician in Maine, wrote a book this year, entitled "IBS - Free at Last". She writes about the FODMAPs and how to conduct an elimination diet to determine if these are triggers for you. I followed it and found out that fructose and fructans, including wheat, are a trigger in large doses. However, lactose-free dairy doesn't seem to bother me.

When I faithfully followed the Eating for IBS diet several years ago, it took me awhile to determine that I could not handle oats or soy. Now I realize that apples in my daily morning of soy oatmeal was yet another trigger. I still haven't mastered it all - stress and fatigue play such critical roles, too. I am forever searching for balance. Good luck to you!

IBS-C

FODMAP - IBS Revolution new
      #350983 - 10/20/09 01:39 PM
PMartin

I don't know if I've just missed it and it's an approach/school of thought that's been out there for some time already but I'm just finding out about it and this FODMAD diet seems to be the "missing link" to so many people's IBS and inability to rectify it.
I've always questioned wheat but still ate it as it had been claimed to be a stabilizer (in specific forms). With an explanation of what in it and why it's bad for you (fructose) it all starts to make sense.
I've started an elimination diet (starting with wheat/fructose) and made an appointment to see a registered dietitian as soon as possible.

--------------------

#350985 - 10/20/09 02:33 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The variety in my diet is rather meager.

Breakfast - regular oatmeal made with 2 tbsp pure berry juice in the cooking water, 1/2 banana and a sprinkle of brown sugar

Lunch - 1/4 chicken breast, 6 shrimp, boiled carrots and peeled zucchini stir fried in olive oil and sprinkled lightly with curry. It is covered in a sauce made from tomato paste, corn sugar and a couple tbsp light coconut milk and served on a bed of rewarmed Basmatti rice.

Supper - chicken, turkey, fish or seafood with boiled carrots and white rice, potatoes, pasta or couscous

My snacks are based on homemade sourdough bread, matzo, peanut butter, jam, Kettle light potato chips, homemade chocolate sauce and peppermints with no artificial flavors.

Fructose molecules are only a problem when unaccompanied by an equal number of glucose molecules. The body handles a molecule of fructose differently when it is accompanied by a molecule of glucose than when it occurs alone. For example each molecule of white and brown sugar is composed of a molecule of glucose and a molecule of fructose joined together. As you have probably noticed table sugar is not an IBS trigger. On the the other hand foods like honey, apples, pears, melons, high fructose corn syrup contain more fructose than glucose. The body handles free fructose in a different way. Frequently, the excess fructose finds its way to the bowel where is it acts like fast food that is rapidly fermented by colonic bacteria producing gases and by-products that can be IBS triggers.

When you go to the dietitian it might be worth while taking copies of the two papers. Something else you might direct the dietitian to another paper published by the Australian group who published the other papers. They found there was little reliable information on the amount of free fructose and fructans in various foods for the dietitian to provide guidelines for IBS patients. They did a study of a large number of common fruits and veggies in the Australian diet and recently published it (reference below). Unfortunately, it isn't publicly available and you have to get from a library. I refer to it from time to time. It is quite helpful.

Reference
Muir, J. G., Shepherd, S. J., Rosella, O., Rose, R., Barrett, J. S., & Gibson, P. R. (2007). Fructan and Free Fructose Content of Common Australian Vegetables and Fruit. J. Agric. Food Chem., 55(16), 6619-6627

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: FODMAP - IBS Revolution/The book IBS Free at Last new
      #350986 - 10/20/09 03:10 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Now do we have to order this type of book to know how to do the elimination diet or is there a website to get all the info on? The book is only 14.95 I see.

Re: Quick fix for heartburn new
      #351002 - 10/21/09 06:17 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

When having heartburn I feel like my an elephant is sitting on my chest.I mostly get it at night around 5 am while sleeping.
Getting up and burping a bit helps but I also tried eating a slice of apple.Peeled.
IT WORKED!

Red delicious is th ebest to help but any apple will help.Peel it though.
Try it next time.I can tell ya i will never go with out an apple in the house again!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Dragonfly new
      #351003 - 10/21/09 08:03 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I have heard that apple helps heartburn, but I have never tried it. I am going to try this to avoid antacids.

Gerikat the persimons..? new
      #351004 - 10/21/09 08:24 AM

Unregistered

Gerikat did you try the dried persimons you said you were going to after you had read my post..

Another fix for heartburn new
      #351005 - 10/21/09 08:49 AM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've suffered from miserable heartburn for about 3 years. I took over the counter antacids and prescription acid blockers. All of them made my heartburn worse. My ND put me on a supplement called DGL Plus which contains Licorce Root, marshmallow root, slippery elm, and aloe vera. I take it twice a day 20 minutes before eating a meal. It didn't give me overnight relief, but after being on the supplement about 3-4 weeks, my heartburn symptoms are feeling tremendously better. My ND also suspects I have low stomach acid rather than too much (which explains why the acid blockers make me feel worse), so she's having me supplement my diet with a teaspoon of lemon juice mixed in warm water 15-30 minutes before every meal. This is actually a good test for anyone with heartburn to find out if you have too much or too little stomach acid. If lemon juice makes you feel worse, you have too much stomach acid, so you shouldn't take lemon juice. If you feel better, you have too little stomach acid.

I hope this helps people with persistent heartburn. I've had it really bad for a long time and I can't tell you how relieving it is not to have it 24/7.

Re: FODMAP - IBS Revolution/The book IBS Free at Last new
      #351007 - 10/21/09 09:06 AM
PMartin

I've already ordered the book from Amazon (even though I might still check at a book store) but I've also made an appointment to see a dietitian. In the meantime, I've started a self-imposed elimination diet focusing on fructose or fructans and wheat (which is a fructan and has fructose - the more you read it can get a little confusing).

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 940 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 35764

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review