All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I TRIED FENNEL TEA TODAY - QUESTION....
      #349997 - 09/15/09 07:53 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

i mixed it with a peppermint tea bag...the tea seemed to act as a laxative...not bad urgency but seemed to quickly wake up the bowels...is this normal? it makes me nervous to drink it at work...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I TRIED FENNEL TEA TODAY - QUESTION.... new
      #349998 - 09/15/09 10:50 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I've never noticed this effect, but I am primarily IBS-C. I do find that fennel works really great to alleviate gas symptoms, and can also settle my tum when I have heartburn.

#350016 - 09/16/09 04:08 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

not normal, but maybe it will take you some time to get used to drinking a hot beverage. Hot beverages can be a little help in going for some, but not D causing.
I would keep drinking it!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#350345 - 09/27/09 06:18 AM
DL

Reged: 02/02/09
Loc: Virginia, USA

I had the exact same thing this week, mixed peppermint and fennel, drank that for two days, and then yesterday had a really bad morning, and actually my stomach hurt much of the day too. Anyone else have this reaction to fennel?

#350409 - 09/29/09 07:04 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

I had a similar but somewhat worse experience. I go walking to attempt to relieve gas at night. Three different nights after drinking the tea (mixture of fennel and peppermint or peppermint alone) I had fecal incontinence and soiled myself. The bms were sticky and jell like - not my norm which is pseudo diarrhea. These were not consecutive nights and it only happened after drinking a quart or more (full strength) during the day. I stopped drinking the tea. Perhaps the recommended strength is too strong for me as I have been drinking "store bought" peppermint tea for years. Any comments or help would be appreciated.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#350458 - 09/30/09 11:55 AM
Kenny

Reged: 01/03/05
Loc: Valley Village, CA

Many sources online say is has a laxative effect, but is not like synthetic laxatives which have side effects. I find that if I drink 2-3 cups every day, it does get things moving.

The gel-like bowel movement you describe almost sounds like mucous, which can be a symptom of IBS-D. Are you following the EFI diet carefully?

--------------------

IBS-A: Gas, Bloating, Occasional Reflux, Panic Attacks

When the bathroom is rockin' don't bother knockin'!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 511 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review